• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Tobruk.jpg

What an amazing map.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Reviews weren't kidding around about it being one of the worst single player campaigns of the year. Enemies literally running through concrete walls. Getting a 5 second countdown and RETURN TO MISSION AREA notice every time I try to flank an enemy. Even bodycount/the new bad call of juarez weren't this big of a cluster fuck. Such a bummer since I thought the bad company campaigns were decent.

360 multiplayer isn't really playable at all either.

Really glad I borrowed this instead of going through with the preorder.

Cudder

So, on Rush, why does the mini map, when you're dead and about to spawn, not update to where the action is? I can't figure out who to spawn on because I think the map stays on the first set of checkpoints..

RS4-

Cudder said:
So, on Rush, why does the mini map, when you're dead and about to spawn, not update to where the action is? I can't figure out who to spawn on because I think the map stays on the first set of checkpoints..
Even in conquest I have no idea where I'm spawning. If you could click on the map and select where you want to spawn and who to spawn on, it'd be far better than how it is now

mr_nothin

Banned
Spookie said:
Yes! Caspian is fucking terrible on Rush, awesome on conquest. ;)
Waaahhh?
Caspian is amazing on Rush but then again i played on a server with no spotting (2d or 3d) no minimap (was surprised at how i liked having this off), no killcam, squad leader only spawning, no regen health, no vehicle regen health, 100% health, no damage modifier, and everything else regular. It was glorious to be able to stealth around but you also had to keep your eyes peeled and really look for someone. You could lose sight of someone pretty quickly too, even if they were just in plain view.

It made me realize just how much hand holding we have going on these days and how fun it was w/o all of the hand holding.

zlatko

Banned
You know what I would have liked to see ? A vehicle training simulation where it lets you just train up with how vehicles work. Not an actual server you could make, but like another tab option along with campaign,co-op,mp, etc.

Would be a great way to help people become comfortable with the flying controls and tweak their settings.

Red Blaster said:
I don't get the map bitching. Only a handful of the large BF2 were actually any good, most of the servers the last couple years have been infantry only Karkand and Sharqis, maps with heavy emphasis on hectic urban combat. And while the flags on some maps are little closer together than I'd like, this isn't new to the series:
People are bitching because they want better and bigger maps and those people aren't the type to be playing a game as old as BF2 for the past couple of years. I'm pretty sure people don't want to play bad large maps, but good ones (regardless of the results of previous efforts) and they probably would appreciate the opportunity for variety as well. BF allows for a HUGE variety in map size and it's a shame that DICE didn't utilize that and didn't appease the people of all desires in that regard.

Massa

zlatko said:
You know what I would have liked to see ? A vehicle training simulation where it lets you just train up with how vehicles work. Not an actual server you could make, but like another tab option along with campaign,co-op,mp, etc.

Would be a great way to help people become comfortable with the flying controls and tweak their settings.

There will be some paid DLC eventually that lets you do that.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm enjoying the hell out of the campaign at the moment. I guess I don't understand/see the viewpoint of the reviews out there about it.

Playing on hard and
Just finished the jet level. So good.

Izayoi said:
Empty servers are your friend.

Or the co-op mission.

Empty servers don't allows me to move around. Co Op I just thought was some of the campaign stuff but meh, people will deal with it, with the amount of retards fooling around me crashing a helicopter every now and then when there's no one around to take it won't matter much.

Niblet said:
I'm totally having some pareidolia with this image. I swear it is a dinosaur head.

Goddammit, now I can't unsee it.

zlatko

Banned
PaleFolklore said:
I hate that rockets and grenades you shoot or throw disappear midair if you die. It's bullshit.

They do? Omg I thought I was going insane! I had several moments where I would be setting up to shoot a tank with a RPG, then someone shows up by me so I let it fly at them, but I die and I saw the rocket trail and heard the noise go right at them, but no death.

You know what else stinks? That it takes 7 years to stand up. You'd think my soldier would be in better shape that if a grenade lands by him he would GET THE FUCK UP AND RUN!

Cudder

zlatko said:
They do? Omg I thought I was going insane! I had several moments where I would be setting up to shoot a tank with a RPG, then someone shows up by me so I let it fly at them, but I die and I saw the rocket trail and heard the noise go right at them, but no death.

You know what else stinks? That it takes 7 years to stand up. You'd think my soldier would be in better shape that if a grenade lands by him he would GET THE FUCK UP AND RUN!
Sprinting out of prone seems pretty snappy to me.

Niblet

RiccochetJ said:
I'm enjoying the hell out of the campaign at the moment. I guess I don't understand/see the viewpoint of the reviews out there about it.

Playing on hard and
Just finished the jet level. So good.
My god the framing of the jet (this can hardly be a spoiler) is gorgeous. Those clouds are so good and the sounds is exhilarating.

mr_nothin

Banned
zlatko said:

Yea it takes a split sec too long to get up from prone now. They slowed it down from the alpha/beta.

I've also crashed at least half a dozen different ways. From just basic lockups, to being stuck at the loading screen for 20 minutes, etc. Right now every time I join a match it tells me that I've been kicked by an administrator after 3 or 4 minutes(and I'm not doing anything inappropriate so I know it isn't intentional by the admin, has happened on 3 straight servers now).

Badgerst3

Any more feedback gaf on aiming in the ps3 version?

Gotta decide xbox or ps3. Flexible either way.

Don't want screaming, swearing 12 year olds if it can be helped.

ManeKast

zlatko said:

Blows my mind that this has never been included.

overcast

TacticalFox88 said:
Any idea what's the general consensus? GAF seems all over the place with this one. :/
Yup. I'm confused as well. I loved BC2 and Battlefield 2 is one of my favorite MP games of all time so I assume this is worth it? (On consoles btw).

Anilusion

This game is super awesome on PC. On console I don't know. I guess its the same with worse graphics?

Either way, multiplayer is fantastic.

zlatko

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
Any idea what's the general consensus? GAF seems all over the place with this one. :/

I suck at it, and I haven't found a game type that I like the flow of yet, but you can still have some super fun moments. Not sure if you are PC or console, but speaking from a PC point of view it's worth picking up if you play with GAF. The server makes up for the shitty games you can join in on your own with randoms.

Is this your first BF game? If it is then the learning curve can be a little steep, but if it isn't and you enjoyed BC2 then you should have fun here too.

Mileage may vary, but I still say pick it up as there isn't anything quite like it. Plus, what other games let you parachute from the air and shoot a RPG to the ground as you plummet and blow up a tank? :D

Izayoi

Banned
Badgerst3 said:
Any more feedback gaf on aiming in the ps3 version?

Gotta decide xbox or ps3. Flexible either way.

Don't want screaming, swearing 12 year olds if it can be helped.
Xbox Live has parties and tons of different ways to mute people, not sure about the PS3 functions in that regard.

Get it for whatever console you have more friends (with the game) on.

overcast said:
Yup. I'm confused as well. I loved BC2 and Battlefield 2 is one of my favorite MP games of all time so I assume this is worth it? (On consoles btw).
Most definitely. It is Battlefield through and through.

Wthermans

Banned
Red Blaster said:
I don't get the map bitching. Only a handful of the large BF2 were actually any good, most of the servers the last couple years have been infantry only Karkand and Sharqis, maps with heavy emphasis on hectic urban combat. And while the flags on some maps are little closer together than I'd like, this isn't new to the series:

http://images.wikia.com/battlefield/images/5/56/Tobruk.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://images.wikia.com/battlefield/images/b/b3/Kursk.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://images.wikia.com/battlefield/images/4/44/Stalingrad.jpg[IMG]

Lot of the 2142 maps were also pretty linear in Conquest and comparable to Rush maps.[/QUOTE]

Honestly if you're judging BF by the maps played after BF2 1.5 came out , you're missing the point of the argument. BF3 maps are heavily scaled down and lacking in many regards to their larger BF2 counterparts. The entire strategy portion of the game is missing.

zlatko said:
I suck at it, and I haven't found a game type that I like the flow of yet, but you can still have some super fun moments. Not sure if you are PC or console, but speaking from a PC point of view it's worth picking up if you play with GAF. The server makes up for the shitty games you can join in on your own with randoms.

Is this your first BF game? If it is then the learning curve can be a little steep, but if it isn't and you enjoyed BC2 then you should have fun here too.

Mileage may vary, but I still say pick it up as there isn't anything quite like it. Plus, what other games let you parachute from the air and shoot a RPG to the ground as you plummet and blow up a tank? :D
BC2 was my first BF game and it was fun enough. But I bought that after the terrible launch it had so...yeah I guess my opinion may be skewed.

d0c_zaius

Izayoi said:
Most definitely. It is Battlefield through and through.

if you ignore the stuff that doesn't feel like a BF game at all, sure (the specific maps have already been called out numerous times).

But I guess I should make it known that my favorite was BF2 PC.

I'm actually a little surprised (and worried I guess) that there are people finding NO issues at all. Or maybe I've just had some bad games....who knows.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow, the sound difference between stereo and headphones = Amazing. Never going back to speakers again after this :lol

Oh, and the graphics are probably the best I've ever seen on console - no fucking joke.

The singleplayer sucks ass though (2 hours in).

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
The UI in this game is almost laughably bad, on the 360 at least. It's "Can't see shit captain" in a nutshell.

Notifications pretty much take up the bottom half of the screen. When you capture a point the point marker goes just above the center of the screen.

Points will flash on your minimap, but unless I'm missing something there's no on-screen notification as to which point it is (They flashed on screen in BC2).

I've also noticed there doesn't seem to be balance between extreme brightness (BLOOM EVERYWHERE) and the darkness on the night maps. It was either too fucking bright to see most of the things on screen, or too dark (Tehran Highway for example).

Unrelated, but server lag doesn't really help with the experience either. I expected it though, BC2 was the same way on launch.

Prologue said:
Anyone plug in the 360 controller on pc? How is the experience? Concerned with the lack of auto aim
It's shit. Don't do it for infantry combat. You could be the shittiest person at mouse aiming, and you'll do better with a mouse. Aiming has a weird ass acceleration and is very touchy (even at super low sensitivity, which'll screw you in other ways)--renders you entirely ineffective. I tried to be the lazy couch bastard, don't make the same mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom