• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Community Meetup

Spl1nter

Cuban Legend said:
you should blend 8 into 7.

and make 8 that racisim/biggotry is an instaban. we can set the server to ban for when a player types in from a pool of bannable words. that shit should be intolerable.

I think a first warning is better especially for words such as 'gay' and 'fag' and there place in internet culture. As long as slut wheel is fine im happy.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Banter is fine. I'm pretty sure he means no spamming music/shouting "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER" etc.

No music on mumble :(

You guys are making this unfun now. The best thing about sc2 gaf on mumble was us playing songs inbetween and before matches.

Spl1nter said:

You guys are making this unfun now. The best thing about sc2 gaf on mumble was us playing songs inbetween and before matches.
Well these rules are more for randoms who might join Mumble than us, I see it.

Sometimes a sing-a-long etc is great fun, I admit. Thing is - we all know each other and will get to know each other better as we play. We'll know how to have fun, what good banter is, etc etc. We just want a rule that can stop someone joining our Mumble channel and blasting Slipknot without a care in the world.

LordCanti

Spl1nter said:
I think a first warning is better especially for words such as 'gay' and 'fag' and there place in internet culture. As long as slut wheel is fine im happy.

If you want to throw up some smooth jazz between rounds, I'm down. I don't want to hear any got'damn death metal though.

I have no idea what sets "smooth" jazz apart from regular jazz. For that matter, the only thing I know about jazz is that it involves saxophones.

Spl1nter

Foliorum Viridum said:
Well these rules are more for randoms who might join Mumble than us, I see it.

Sometimes a sing-a-long etc is great fun, I admit. Thing is - we all know each other and will get to know each other better as we play. We'll know how to have fun, what good banter is, etc etc. We just want a rule that can stop someone joining our Mumble channel and blasting Slipknot without a care in the world.

Slipknot I agree with, as long as we can play linkin park and nickelback im happy.

LordCanti said:
If you want to throw up some smooth jazz between rounds, I'm down. I don't want to hear any got'damn death metal though.

I have no idea what sets "smooth" jazz apart from regular jazz. For that matter, the only thing I know about jazz is that it involves saxophones.

So you fine with rap? Some gucci mane.

LordCanti

Foliorum Viridum said:
... So yeah, a no music rule at all it is.

I think that might be for the best. Singing is in though.

Menelaus said:
CRRRRRAAAAAAWWWWWLING INNNNNN THIIIIS BUSSSSHHHHH

THEEEESE NAAAADES, THEEEEY WILLLLLLL NOT WOOOOORRRKKKK

FEARRRRRRRRRR ME ASSSSSSSSS I CRAWLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

MY NECKKKKKKKKKK IT ISSSSSSSSSS SO LONNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Also, I've already called "Tried to make me go to rehab" as my ban message. May I never need to use it.

Menelaus said:
You are in violation of the rules, instaban. Your intolerance will not be tolerated!

I really think we should make this the message that plays for kicks due to sexist/racist behavior.

Foliorum Viridum said:
... So yeah, a no music rule at all it is.

lol.gif

heres what i cooked up... I'm running on 38 hours awake right now so excuse any spelling, grammatical, or generally obvious mistakes, this is a PSD i can edit of course... so please give any advice or suggestions to rules.

these are not final, this is a draft mockup:
bf3-gaf_rules_draftv1nyuw.png

LordCanti

Spl1nter said:
Im Canadian whats not to like.

Bagged milk. It's an atrocity.

Cuban Legend said:
heres what i cooked up... I'm running on 38 hours awake right now so excuse any spelling, grammatical, or generally obvious mistakes, this is a PSD i can edit of course... so please give any advice or suggestions to rules.

these are not final, this is a draft mockup:

Kicked:

1. *line limited to one person per vehicle

5. Not sure squad locking is in

6. People can't choose to be squad leader, so we can't really punish them for not having a mic. Not having a mic in general would be kind of an impossible thing to punish for (most don't have them)

Banned:

5. Stat padding? Meaning getting kills without trying to capture flags? Hard to police 64 people to make sure they are all contributing to flag capping in some way.

Rules look good otherwise.

Kyaw

Stat padding is in boosting stats?

Like a squad mate shooting nothing and squad mate giving him ammo to get more points.

LordCanti said:
Bagged milk. It's an atrocity.

Kicked:

1. *line limited to one person per vehicle

5. Not sure squad locking is in

6. People can't choose to be squad leader, so we can't really punish them for not having a mic. Not having a mic in general would be kind of an impossible thing to punish for (most don't have them)

Banned:

5. Stat padding? Meaning getting kills without trying to capture flags? Hard to police 64 people to make sure they are all contributing to flag capping in some way.

Rules look good otherwise.

thx for the feedback

- removed the squad locking one until we are assured we can lock squads.
- downgraded Squad-Leading with a mic to a suggestion.

TO DO: Add a note for where to appeal bans (probably shorten the #6 under bans)

edit:
Menelaus said:
squad lock = private? if so, it's in.

bf3-squad-management-620x437.jpg
ah thanks. so whats the consensus on this. we dont want 2 guys going into a squad and locking it just so they can fly a chopper together alone or ride a tank alone, its a waste of the limited number of empty squad slots that we want to be filled, right?

also, regarding the aircraft line thing, what is the point of restricting the line to just 1 person , why not let people get in line if they want to and are obeying the line system?

Menelaus

Banned
Well, what's the point of locking a squad if it's full? At that point, just say no squad locking (might even be a server setting!)

Lines need to be more than 1 person (heli can carry 6 people).

scogoth

Can we have a BF3 Radio channel in mumble? If you want to play music go to that channel, I'll just blast 80s canadian tunes whenever I play.

LordCanti

Menelaus said:
Well, what's the point of locking a squad if it's full? At that point, just say no squad locking (might even be a server setting!)

Lines need to be more than 1 person (heli can carry 6 people).

I meant for the single seaters. Do you really want more than two people standing in the base doing nothing, waiting for the jet? If that's both teams, we're talking at least six, maybe more people (out of 64) that aren't contributing constantly. If not a limit of one per single-seat vehicle, then a limit of two?

For multi-seat vehicles, more than one person should be able to camp them.

(Oh stat padding meaning cheating, okay. Definitely out.)

As for squad locking, I'd have to think about what that would mean for gameplay.

scogoth

LordCanti said:
I meant for the single seaters. Do you really want more than two people standing in the base doing nothing, waiting for the jet? If that's both teams, we're talking at least six, maybe more people (out of 64) that aren't contributing constantly.

For multi-seat vehicles, more than one person should be able to camp them.

(Oh stat padding meaning cheating, okay. Definitely out.)

As for squad locking, I'd have to think about what that would mean for gameplay.

How can we have a line system with spawn into jets.

LordCanti

scogoth said:
How can we have a line system with spawn into jets.

We'd force spawns. No one could just sit dead waiting for a jet. What happened in the beta was that the pilot of a jet would die, then sit dead until the jet respawned, and jump in it in front of people that were waiting on the ground. I did this myself plenty.

We couldn't keep people from spawning into a jet within the window they are alloted to remain dead, but the line would just have to wait until that jet crashed. The person spawning into the jet wouldn't be penalized.

Menelaus said:
2 jets spawn at the runway...are you saying you should only allow 1 person to wait? Or 1 per jet?

Good luck with that!

One per jet. There are usually pretty clearly defined runways, with two lanes in them. One person in one lane, one in the other, back where the jets spawn. Those two would get the jet, and then someone would replace them in line on the runway while they flew around.

@Cuban - I was thinking of just having people e-mail for ban resolution. I'm not sure if we'll be able to host a forum on whatever "hosting" is provided to us by Multiplay, but I can set one up if need be via a third party site, and embed it into a page on our blog.

sp3000

LordCanti said:
We'd force spawns. No one could just sit dead waiting for a jet. What happened in the beta was that the pilot of a jet would die, then sit dead until the jet respawned, and jump in it in front of people that were waiting on the ground. I did this myself plenty.

We couldn't keep people from spawning into a jet within the window they are alloted to remain dead, but the line would just have to wait until that jet crashed. The person spawning into the jet wouldn't be penalized.

The line idea is not good. I've seen it and BF2 and it leads to half the team sitting at base being useless. Jets are spawn anyway so I really wouldn't worry about this. Just don't implement a line because it's idiotic in practice even though the idea sounds like it works.

Enforcing this is even harder, no admin is going to sit staring at the runway to see whos breaking the rules like a school teacher.

I love the fact there's an in-depth debate on the etiquette of waiting for vehicles.

This is why I'm an infantry man. I run and gun, dude. Might hop in a tank if it's sat there.

Menelaus

Banned
The question is, is it really that huge of a deal? Waiting for jets is a staple of the series! Yeah, so 4 people are hanging around...the same thing is happening on the other team. And if it's NOT happening on the other team, good on them!

Kyaw

Menelaus said:
Good luck with that!

It would actually be pretty easy!
Just ferry the troops back and front and request transport via in-game chat.
Pilots would have to be pretty good with the maps' flanking routes and places with no direct AA fire.

From there, the pilots just need to stay alive and ferry back and forth troops!

LordCanti

sp3000 said:
The line idea is not good. I've seen it and BF2 and it leads to half the team sitting at base being useless. Jets are spawn anyway so I really wouldn't worry about this. Just don't implement a line because it's idiotic in practice even though the idea sounds like it works.

Enforcing this is even harder, no admin is going to sit staring at the runway to see whos breaking the rules like a school teacher.

So no waiting for the jets then? Spawn in them or nothing?

Menelaus said:
The question is, is it really that huge of a deal? Waiting for jets is a staple of the series! Yeah, so 4 people are hanging around...the same thing is happening on the other team. And if it's NOT happening on the other team, good on them!

It's not a huge deal, it's just kind of silly to have a good portion of the team sitting in the base, fighting each other for a jet.

Spl1nter

Foliorum Viridum said:
I love the fact there's an in-depth debate on the etiquette of waiting for vehicles.

This is why I'm an infantry man. I run and gun, dude. Might hop in a tank if it's sat there.

me to bro. infantry through and through. however, I am quite proficient at heli's and jets.

Menelaus

Banned
LordCanti said:
it's just kind of silly to have a good portion of the team sitting in the base, fighting each other for a jet.
I agree...I just also think it's a silly thing to have to admin. Getting into breakdancing knifefights on the helipad is the best.

sp3000

If you guys want to actually set this up with some serious thought, then the people who have the most unlocks or experience in the jet should be the ones flying. There is no point in waiting in line when someone with heatseekers and laser guided missiles is not getting the jet while a guy with no unlocks is.

This would be fine because jets aren't even that good anymore. They've been nerfed so badly that a good group of stingers can pretty much render the entire team's air power useless.

scogoth

LordCanti said:

Thats what I'd go for. See if we can mess around with the jet spawn time but other then that I'd leave it be. Besides if we fill most the server with GAF then we shouldn't have an issue with less intelligent players.

LordCanti

sp3000 said:
If you guys want to actually set this up with some serious thought, then the people who have the most unlocks or experience in the jet should be the ones flying. There is no point in waiting in line when someone with heatseekers and laser guided missiles is not getting the jet while a guy with no unlocks is.

Those guys with the missiles didn't start with them. There's no way we could enforce that anyway.

Kyaw

sp3000 said:

Pretty much...

Also there's just no point in waiting for the jet on the runway when you can just spawn in and you will get in the jet before the guy on the runway can press 'E'.

scogoth

sp3000 said:

Only way to unlock is to fly. Your being illogical mr spock

Spl1nter

sp3000 said:

Anyone can and is free to fly, our server will not be Nazi Germany!

Spl1nter said:
me to bro. infantry through and through. however, I am quite proficient at heli's and jets.
This is my rifle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my rifle and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.

Menelaus

Banned
Spl1nter said:
Anyone can and is free to fly, our server will not be Nazi Germany!
You got me thinking about ME-109s, and then I realized how badass it would be if each server could upload custom livery for their planes.

sp3000

scogoth said:
Only way to unlock is to fly. Your being illogical mr spock

If we are coordinating like a clan, then some people are obviously going to have better flying skills then others. I'm not sure how competitive you want this server to be, but generally in BF2142 clan matches we would have designated fliers among our team which worked out perfectly.

Just saying that the unlock system pretty much makes guys without unlocks useless. I don't think it's good game design but that's what the devs chose.

Top Bottom