• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Community Meetup

LordCanti

This is moving fast. From a few posts ago:

Do you guys think an e-mail address people can send messages to is enough for ban resolution/admin abuse reporting (first person that abuses gets bitch slapped)/etc? The choices are really having people e-mail, or setting up an entire forum (and then managing it) so people can dispute bans.

Getting banned would kind of go like this:

1. Get banned
2. E-mail, saying it wasn't fair
3. Ban gets reviewed
4. Ban is lifted, or upheld

the line system would be there to allow newcomers to have a chance a flying the aircraft's so that the vets don't just continuously spawn-hog them.

here is the edited 2nd draft:

bf3-gaf_rules_draftv2l8oo.png

Spl1nter

Foliorum Viridum said:
This is my rifle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my rifle and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.

sufull.jpg

sp3000

Cuban Legend said:
the line system would be there to allow newcomers to have a chance a flying the aircraft's so that the vets don't just continuously spawn-jog them.

here is the edited 2nd draft:

bf3-gaf_rules_draftv2l8oo.png

You know this leads to jets crashing into the ground for one team while the other team eats them for breakfast. There are a lot of balance considerations to think about here.

Maybe for the first few weeks we can allow lines and after that make it free for all

Spl1nter

sp3000 said:
If we are coordinating like a clan, then some people are obviously going to have better flying skills then others. I'm not sure how competitive you want this server to be, but generally in BF2142 clan matches we would have designated fliers among our team which worked out perfectly.

Just saying that the unlock system pretty much makes guys without unlocks useless. I don't think it's good game design but that's what the devs chose.

NeoGAF is not a clan, we are a community. The purpose of the server is to have fun as a community and enjoy the game.

Menelaus

Banned
As long as the jet respawn timer is longer than the forced spawn timer, the previous pilot will never be able to respawn into a jet before a guy on the runway can jump in (unless it's the other jet).

Spl1nter said:
NeoGAF is not a clan, we are a community. The purpose of the server is to have fun as a community and enjoy the game.
Yep, exactly.

Me? I'm shit at the game and I'm an admin, so that rules out us being considered a serious clan :)

sp3000 said:
You know this leads to jets crashing into the ground for one team while the other team eats them for breakfast. There are a lot of balance considerations to think about here.

Maybe for the first few weeks we can allow lines and after that make it free for all
sp3000 said:
If you guys want to actually set this up with some serious thought, then the people who have the most unlocks or experience in the jet should be the ones flying. There is no point in waiting in line when someone with heatseekers and laser guided missiles is not getting the jet while a guy with no unlocks is.

This would be fine because jets aren't even that good anymore. They've been nerfed so badly that a good group of stingers can pretty much render the entire team's air power useless.

please note that the first rule doesn't say to NO SKIPPING AIRCRAFT LINES... is says to get in line, its suggestive to some extent, its at the top of the list for emphasis, in hopes that peopel will be good sports in that regard.

- it's just a pain in the ass to spawn on the UCB and want to get in the jet and get skipped or TKed by someone who wants to hog it.

- and its even more of a pain to deal with people fighting over aircraft, just tell em to get in line and see if they do it... if they are habitually skipping in front of others then a kick is warranted, amirite?

Menelaus said:
As long as the jet respawn timer is longer than the forced spawn timer, the previous pilot will never be able to respawn into a jet before a guy on the runway can jump in (unless it's the other jet).
the only problem with that is what if the landing strip has more than 1 person waiting per jet?

Spl1nter

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yep, exactly.

Me? I'm shit at the game and I'm an admin, so that rules out us being considered a serious clan :)

dont worry, I am worth a full squad on the battlefield. So as long as everyone else is average I can cover for you and Cuban (cuban counts as two players, he is so bad he harms the team).

Kyaw

scogoth said:
Thats not a good idea, deters donors.

Screw the donors!

Yes, i'm being super unreasonable. :)
Honestly though, just play around on the GAF server for the first few week and then implement some strict rules based on the feedback.

Spl1nter

Kyaw said:
Screw the donors!

Yes, i'm being super unreasonable. :)
Honestly though, just play around on the GAF server for the first few week and then implement some precise rules based on the feedback.

Better terminology. Punishment can be strict. :)

3rd 4th draft:

-reordered list for emphasis
-reworded 'squad locking'
-moved and reworded 'line system'
-added email for ban appeals

-added font styling

bf3-gaf_rules_draftv4jj26.png

how's the styling look? any suggestions?

LordCanti

Cuban Legend said:
3rd 4th draft:

-added font styling

I'm going to put one of those "Send a message" boxes on the site, so we don't have to give out an actual e-mail that people could sign up for spam.

Looks good otherwise.

LordCanti said:
I'm going to put one of those "Send a message" boxes on the site, so we don't have to give out an actual e-mail that people could sign up for spam.

Looks good otherwise.
:facepalm: how could I not think of spam... here:

bf3-gaf_rules_draftv55ks2.png

LordCanti said:
Anyone that is decent with HTML mind viewing this (http://bf3gaf.blogspot.com/p/ban-resolution.html) and telling me how that <br /> is showing up in the Message box? My eyes are going cross-eyed trying to find it in the code (I've tried searching, but no results come up for <br />.
Code:
<textarea class="validate[required]" cols="60" id="element_3" name="element_3" rows="10">&lt;br /&gt; </textarea><br>
is it that &lt;br /&gt; inside teh textarea? or maybe the <br> after it?

let me know once you nail down the URL for the BF3 GAF BAN APPEAL PAGE, that way i can use one of the bit.ly links i reserved and forward this bit.ly/BF3GAFBAN to this http://bf3gaf.blogspot.com/p/ban-resolution.html

Pennybags

I abused the shit outta the whole spawn-into-jet thing in the Beta. Completely maxed-out unlocks for planes.

I think changing the spawn timers for the jet to prevent dead pilots from nabbing the plane again is a good idea, but for some reason I'm not that optimistic about runway lines or a spawn-only rule.

Pennybags said:
I abused the shit outta the whole spawn-into-jet thing in the Beta. Completely maxed-out unlocks for planes.

I think changing the spawn timers for the jet to prevent dead pilots from nabbing the plane again is a good idea, but for some reason I'm not that optimistic about runway lines or a spawn-only rule.
chapel, our resident script-savvy GAFbro, will see if he can make a queue script that can allow people to queue up without having to be in a physical line... hopefully that is possible.

only getting our hands on the server will tell for sure.

scogoth

Pennybags said:

I'll fight you for it, 2 man fight, runway, rubber knives.

JackEtc

Cuban Legend said:
3rd 4th draft:

-added font styling

I feel dumb for asking this....what the hell is a UCB? That's the only rule I don't get.

Pennybags

Keep your rubber utencils to yourself, I've got Wall-E on my side.

JackEtc said:
I feel dumb for asking this....what the hell is a UCB? That's the only rule I don't get.

Uncap base. Deployment areas, basically.

punkypine

if there is no VOIP, why make squad leaders have mics? i dont understand

edit: i have a mic, but if i become a squad leader and am voice chatting with 2 friends who are in my squad, and a random 4th joins us... how would we even communicate

LordCanti

punkypine said:
if there is no VOIP, why make squad leaders have mics? i dont understand

I'm pretty sure there is voip in the retail game. Unless that has changed, and they really are going through with all VOIP being handled by Battlelog (which is a huge mistake IMO).

In any case, we've got a mumble server. That is the one rule I think should be gone from that list though. It's just not realistic to expect all squad leaders to have a mic.

(and the language involving "clans" should be taken out, since we aren't a clan)

@Scogoth - I saw that. (Response time seems to be about three hours on messages submitted to the website. Mostly because I don't check my mail that often)

scogoth

LordCanti said:
I'm pretty sure there is voip in the retail game. Unless that has changed, and they really are going through with all VOIP being handled by Battlelog (which is a huge mistake IMO).

In any case, we've got a mumble server. That is the one rule I think should be gone from that list though. It's just not realistic to expect all squad leaders to have a mic.

(and the language involving "clans" should be taken out, since we aren't a clan)

@Scogoth - I saw that. (Response time seems to be about three hours on messages submitted to the website. Mostly because I don't check my mail that often)

Well glad it works!

I don't think there is in game voip...
GameSpy: The beta didn't support in-game VOIP; players had to form a party through battlelog to be able to chat just to their party. Will Battlefield 3 include in-game VOIP – be it squad or team based – at launch?
Lars: No, on PC this (battlelog) is what we're going to ship with. Then we're going to evaluate how we move forward with this. It's something we've heard from the community, it's something we understand. At the same time, building a game of this size, you can't win all of the battles. The convenience of going in with friends with your party VOIP channel and keep it even after the game, is definitely a strength. That's just the start – we can definitely evolve from there down the road.

So mumble it is

LordCanti

scogoth said:
Well glad it works!

I don't think there is in game voip...

So mumble it is

Bah. They're so full of shit. "You can't win all the battles". You know what? Games have had in-game voip for over a decade.

I ain't even mad right now. We're going to mumble it up.

scogoth

LordCanti said:
Bah. They're so full of shit. "You can't win all the battles". You know what? Games have had in-game voip for over a decade.

I ain't even mad right now. We're going to mumble it up.

I don't get it either, voip would be so easy to implement. They had voip, made it worse and now they have removed it. They should have said fuck voip in battle log and put it in game.

Does anyone know the exact city the server will be located in? I want to do a Speedtest to see if the ping will hold up. I'm over in Vancouver, BC, so hopefully it'll be okay.

fin

Thinking about the line-up situation. It really shouldn't be an issue if our team is full of GAFer's. If you see two people waiting for jets, just do something else. Tanks are just as fun, or spawn with your squad. When I see 5 people jumping around, shooting each other at the jet spawn like idiots AND we're losing, I get choked. I'm gonna be kicking some dudes. But if our team is winning with a good lead it doesn't bother me as much.

Probably don't need rules for it just a disclaimer. If there's more than 2 of you waiting for a jet and you see Finjitzu... run. :p

edit:
and holy fuck at the Canadians in here. Maybe we should have our own CanadianGAF Platoon?

LordCanti said:

IF YOU WANT TO BE A LEADER, YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO TALK.

THESE ARE THE RULES.

Sorry, ArmA2 guy...

scogoth

Legato.Reborn- said:
IF YOU WANT TO BE A LEADER, YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO TALK.

THESE ARE THE RULES.

Sorry, ArmA2 guy...

A talking leader is fine but its not much use if no one can hear you.

fin said:
Thinking about the line-up situation. It really shouldn't be an issue if our team is full of GAFer's. If you see two people waiting for jets, just do something else. Tanks are just as fun, or spawn with your squad. When I see 5 people jumping around, shooting each other at the jet spawn like idiots AND we're losing, I get choked. I'm gonna be kicking some dudes. But if our team is winning with a good lead it doesn't bother me as much.

Probably don't need rules for it just a disclaimer. If there's more than 2 of you waiting for a jet and you see Finjitzu... run. :p

edit:
and holy fuck at the Canadians in here. Maybe we should have our own CanadianGAF Platoon?

Now we're talking!

20111020-pscq5272eggusutaamtsgwmcfx.medium.jpg

LordCanti

Ferga said:
6 more days until the release for aus!

Will there be a dedicated mumble server for GAF games on bf3?

Yes, we will have our own mumble server, different from the GAF mumble server that already exists. Details incoming, probably on launch day (they haven't given us access yet).

This would be a good time to get mumble setup if you haven't already guys. Half of us are going to be all "Can you guys hear me?!" on launch day if you don't :D

Does anyone know if mumble has updated to support DX11 yet? Not having the overlay is going to be confusing.

SUBZERO-08 said:
Does anyone know the exact city the server will be located in? I want to do a Speedtest to see if the ping will hold up. I'm over in Vancouver, BC, so hopefully it'll be okay.

Herndon Virginia, I believe.

scogoth said:
A talking leader is fine but its not much use if no one can hear you.

Now we're talking!

20111020-pscq5272eggusutaamtsgwmcfx.medium.jpg
would be cool if all the GAF Regional Platoons had some sort of general theme even though they would be different.

Can you do it, scogoth?

BTW can we fit all of US North American PC BF3 gaf in one Platoon?

What about all of Continental US BF3-GAF in one Platoon? time zone regions seems to me like it's spreading our group a little thin.

LordCanti

Cuban Legend said:
would be cool if all the GAF Regional Platoons had some sort of general theme even though they would be different.

Can you do it, scogoth?

BTW can we fit all of US North American PC BF3 gaf in one Platoon?

What about all of Continental US BF3-GAF in one Platoon? time zone regions seems to me like it's spreading our group a little thin.

We had to during the beta because we filled an entire 100 man GAF platoon, and there were still people that wanted to join. If they remove the ridiculous 100 person limit, the regional platoons will be unnecessary.

LordCanti said:
We had to during the beta because we filled an entire 100 man GAF platoon, and there were still people that wanted to join. If they remove the ridiculous 100 person limit, the regional platoons will be unnecessary.
yeah but that was for all PC BF3 GAF

we could all fit once we split Continental US up into time-zone regions EAST, WEST, CENTRAL, ETC. but...

I'm just wondering if we can fit all of us in ONE North american, or possibly one Continental USA Platoon. Canada and South America could have their own if they cant fit all of us in one 'North America' platoon.

Sound like a good idea?

Cuban Legend said:
yeah but that was for all PC BF3 GAF

we could all fit once we split Continental US up into time-zone regions EAST, WEST, CENTRAL, ETC. but...

I'm just wondering if we can fit all of us in ONE North american, or possibly one Continental USA Platoon. Canada and South America could have their own if they cant fit all of us in one 'North America' platoon.

Sound like a good idea?

Possibly. I remember considering this but when I counted up just the list of names in the OP (which is a bit undercounted, since I stopped adding people once we had the platoons set up), it was 70. I think we'd hit the 100 limit pretty quickly, if it's still in the final.

Top Bottom