• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Community Meetup

scogoth

Spl1nter said:
Thank god I hear there survival rate is much higher, unless its ww2 of course. Than you be fucked.

I think in ww2 didn't matter where you were, the survival rate was bad. Unless you were female in north America.

fin

I say keep the kill cam too, at least for the first week.

Post all the requests for server changes here. Then after a week we can change some stuff if needed. I'll probably be ok with vanilla settings, but who knows? I tried some HC in BC2 and didn't like it because of having to check your map for spotted enemies. I just really like spotting and how it helps your team. Nothing better than spotting an enemy and someone kills them before you.

I too like the killcam to thwart campers. BC2 would've been frustrating for me without it. Also when capping a base, I find that they can't spawn at the same base they're killed at because by the time they are allowed to respawn the base is already neutral. But I completely understand, when you're going Solid Snake on their asses you don't want kill cam to give away your position.

I played a ton of BC2 new the maps inside and out. There was still the odd time when the killcam angle was so vague I still never new where they were. It's like, well, he could be over there, or there or there. Maybe he moved?

With claymore mines I'm gonna try and use the killcam against them. See what kinda traps I can set knowing that the dude I just killed knows where I am.

Arnold-Schwarzenegger-in--002.jpg

Mr. Snrub said:
Courtesy of Branzone and Planet BF, BF3 Server Admin docs have popped up. Just for everyone to consider:
I'll do you one better, from teh EA UK BF3 FORUMS, regarding BF3CC:

Hi all,

the first draft of the server administrator's manual is now available to the world here: GET IT HERE ( only useful if you are an admin for a Server)

Some highlights:
- Remote admin protocol spec included
- lists of all maps
- lists of all gamemodes (and all maps can be used in all gamemodes)
- list of gameplay-affecting settings in the admin manual
- you can mix gamemodes in the maplist
- For BF3 PC, Normal / Hardcore / Infantry Only are umbrella names for a specific group of settings; details in the manual
- there is a section in the manual which describes how changing server settings affect filters and Quickmatch on Battlelog
- unranked mode is, well, "nearly working" so for the first few days after launch all servers will run ranked
- in ranked mode you can control all settings (but at some point we will enforce PB on, game-password off .. or similar)

One thing which requires some extra elaboration is player counts, gamemodes, and how those things work together.

When you rent a server from an RSP, you rent a certain number of slots. The RSP controls the max number of players on your server.

In addition, you can temporarily lower the number of slots below the RSP-enforced setting through a remote admin command.

Now. There is currently no mechanism that enforces that a given gamemode can have at most a given number of players... so you can in theory run any gamemode with up to 64 players.
Some game modes (such as Squad Rush) will probably not work very well if you set the limit higher than intended. Most will function. Some will become less playable because the matches get a bit unbalanced. But for instance running Team Deathmatch with a lot of players should not be a problem.

awww_yeah_funny_picturszbu.png

Pennybags

Cuban Legend said:
Now. There is currently no mechanism that enforces that a given gamemode can have at most a given number of players... so you can in theory run any gamemode with up to 64 players.
Some game modes (such as Squad Rush) will probably not work very well if you set the limit higher than intended. Most will function. Some will become less playable because the matches get a bit unbalanced. But for instance running Team Deathmatch with a lot of players should not be a problem.

http://www.abload.de/img/awww_yeah_funny_picturszbu.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

64 player Rush on Metro, here we go!

scogoth

Cuban Legend said:
I'll do you one better, from teh EA UK BF3 FORUMS, regarding BF3CC:

Hi all,

the first draft of the server administrator's manual is now available to the world here: GET IT HERE ( only useful if you are an admin for a Server)

Some highlights:
- Remote admin protocol spec included
- stuff

64 players on 16 player deathmatch map, I could cry!

Pennybags said:
64 player Rush on Metro, here we go!

NO. no metro for first week.

Pennybags said:
I would like this, actually.
RUSH? aint no way that will be balanced, we can try it but the conquest Mode would be ideal for 64 players on Metro...

someone combed through that admin documentation and heres teh interesting bits in a nutshell:

[Compilation of things discovered from admin docs]

Can be enabled/disabled-

Health Regen
3D spotting
Friendly fire
Killcam
Squadleader-only spawning

Battlelog will have 4 presets-

Normal
Infantry only
Hardcore
Custom

And from those you can filter

Autobalance?
Friendly fire?
Killcam?
Regen health?
HUD?
Minimap?
Minimap spotting?
3D spotting?
crosshair?
vehicle regen health?
squad leader only spawn?
minimap spotting?
vehicle 3rd person view allowed?

Looking good! HYPE FOR THE BF3 ADMIN OPTIONS. :lol

fin

Holy fuck so many tweeks we can do to the server. I'm assuming we can save/load server settings so we can change them quickly?

Looking at the HC settings, I'm intrigued.

Pennybags

The high damage of hardcore mode always turned me off when I played it on console BC2. Would love to try to play HC settings with base damage traits.

Cuban Legend said:
RUSH? aint no way that will be balanced, we can try it but the conquest Mode would be ideal for 64 players on Metro...

Wasn't trying to suggest it seriously in any way. If I want to see that glorious clusterloving , somebody's server is bound to be doing it for the sake of it.

But yeah, would be nice to give Metro a vacation.

fin

Yeah and I just found out that HC mode still has spotting but they only show up on the minimap. Was it like that in BC2 as well?

Pennybags said:
The high damage of hardcore mode always turned me off when I played it on console BC2. Would love to try to play HC settings with base damage traits.

Wasn't trying to suggest it seriously in any way. If I want to see that glorious clusterloving , somebody's server is bound to be doing it for the sake of it.

But yeah, would be nice to give Metro a vacation.
shiiii, son this is our server, we can try whatever we can't lets load a 64 player squad deathmatch round lol.

we can try just about anything, and should try it all to really test whats new and unique that will be fun for us and maybe fun for generating traffic.

Pennybags

Cuban Legend said:
shiiii, son this is our server, we can try whatever we can't lets load a 64 player squad deathmatch round lol.

we can try just about anything, and should try it all to really test whats new and unique that will be fun for us and maybe fun for generating traffic.

Clusterfuck Tuesdays

LordCanti

Everybody spawns in a jeep, and can't leave. Every jeep is strapped with C4, set to blow on impact.

Also, there is low grav.

Best mode ever? Best mode ever.

squidyj

LordCanti said:
Everybody spawns in a jeep, and can't leave. Every jeep is strapped with C4, set to blow on impact.

Also, there is low grav.

Best mode ever? Best mode ever.

Need a map with ramps.

zlatko

Banned
Preinstalling my game from Amazon right now. Anyone know what timezone and what time we can start playing? I'm hoping for midnight east coast time. :p

Nabs

zlatko said:
Preinstalling my game from Amazon right now. Anyone know what timezone and what time we can start playing? I'm hoping for midnight east coast time. :p
3am EST. There's a chance that using a Korean VPN will open it up sometime on Monday.

Pennybags

zlatko said:

3 AM for us East coasters, unless you want to dabble with VPN.

zlatko

Banned
Nabs said:
3am EST. There's a chance that using a Korean VPN will open it up sometime on Monday.

3AM EST is fine with me. VPN gymnastics are always over my head. :p

Edit: Anyone else do their install through Amazon as well? I find Origin to be such a clunky mess Jesus. It installed itself 3 times even though it's already installed during this whole process.

Also, I got 2 keys one for the LE of the game and another for some dogtag related stuff. I used up the LE of the game code and it installed the game onto Origin, but where do I use this dogtag one, and am I missing any other keys from pre orders? Or is this all of it ?

I don't see why people hate Rush so much. To knock a map off rotation on the very first day seems like madness.

Also, I'm going to have a busy week in uni next week, but I shall try the VPN trick tomorrow and, well, basically not get much sleep if it works. 99% down to this server! I'm really excited.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I don't see why people hate Rush so much. To knock a map off rotation on the very first day seems like madness.

Also, I'm going to have a busy week in uni next week, but I shall try the VPN trick tomorrow and, well, basically not get much sleep if it works. 99% down to this server! I'm really excited.

I think it's specifically for Op Metro. Played so much, I think most would rather spend time on the rest of the maps for a week.

I meant to type Metro, not Rush.

Hungover posting is hard! But yeah, even with the amount we've already played it, we haven't in a huge GAF group and in conquest etc.

then when you all hit the sack ill load the server into metro conquest mode to see how it is.

must be nice now if they fixed the terrain destruction bugs that could let you get underground.

Spl1nter

Cuban Legend said:
then when you all hit the sack ill load the server into metro conquest mode to see how it is.

must be nice now if they fixed the terrain destruction bugs that could let you get underground.

going to c4 yourself a little foxhole to hide in?

Spl1nter said:
going to c4 yourself a little foxhole to hide in?
Im gonna try every game mode on every map as possible to see how they play, regardless of if we played the shit out of in in the Alpha/Beta previously.

Somnia

Can't play till Tuesday around 8pm cst (hate you work, but we are having a pretty huge BF3 midnight launch party), but I will be playing non-stop that night and Wednesday, can't fucking wait.

Spl1nter

Cuban Legend said:
http://www.abload.de/img/oh_yourhf49.jpg

my last posts comment is in refrence to me waiting till teh server empties out at night before I try this shit out.

I WILL NOT DISRUPT GAF SERVER WHILE IT IS ACTIVE WITH PLAYERS. get that shit straight son :lol

im going to empty out the server when it is full and change it to 1v1 knife only and blame it on you.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm not too fussed about Rush, but I'll definitely play Metro with you.

dem haters ain't gonna hold us back

unless dem haters tk you!

scogoth

Cuban Legend said:
oh_yourhf49.jpg

my last posts comment is in refrence to me waiting till teh server empties out at night before I try this shit out.

I WILL NOT DISRUPT GAF SERVER WHILE IT IS ACTIVE WITH PLAYERS. get that shit straight son :lol

I will play 24/7! There will always be activity on the GAF sever!

scogoth

Spl1nter said:
chapel get on a script so people cannot go idle when away from game.

Fuck idling I have nothing from 9:30EST monday till 6:30EST wednesday. I will eat, sleep and live while playing BF3.

We DO have the option to kick for idleness. Hoping we can use this as a deterrent for people who just sit at the spawn menu and wait for vehicles.

Pennybags

Mr. Snrub said:
We DO have the option to kick for idleness. Hoping we can use this as a deterrent for people who just sit at the spawn menu and wait for vehicles.

Do we have force spawn? Idleness is just a lack of input, isn't it? Wouldn't someone still be able to click around the deployment screen?

Top Bottom