• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Community Meetup

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
Menelaus said:
For some reason, getting HORRIBLE graphics issues today. Nothing has changed on my end.
This is what I'm dealing with half of the time I'm playing
IMG
Just alt+tab out of the game once or twice. That fixes it for me anyways

Spl1nter

LordCanti said:
Bah. There goes my theory that it's gotten more stable.

its actually improved. all servers crash (buggy server software) and the time it took to crash seemed typical.

TDM is hilarious. In a good/bad sort of way. The spawns are horrible but the gunplay makes it a lot of fun.

abuC

I'll start playing on the GAF server in a few days, finally getting the hang of the controls. The question is will I be able to actually join.

I noticed the CPU usage on teh server has gone down and spikes don't go over 60-65%. they used to hit 75-90% on a regular basis. The 90% CPU spikes are the blue peaks on top of the green in the 2nd and 3rd graphs down.

Here is the day/week/month history for the server:

1. when the server started populating today @ 2:00pm EST
2. when Spl1nter edited the map rotation to fix the rotation bug a few hours later.
2011-10-30_005727kfsp.png

This could be the result of 2 things.

1. Multiplay migrating our server's location to Chicago and stability resulting from that.
2. or Spl1nter's max rotation fix alleviating CPU load somehow.

Only way to know is for Anton Sugar to come in here and confirm if we have in fact been moved to Chicago as asked.

LordCanti

Cuban Legend said:
This could be the result of 2 things.

1. Multiplay migrating our server's location to Chicago and stability resulting from that.
2. or Spl1nter's max rotation fix alleviating CPU load somehow.

Only way to know is for Anton Sugar to come in here and confirm if we have in fact been moved to Chicago as asked.

Server IP to log-in is still the same as it was yesterday. I don't think the server has been moved. I'm not sure if Anton submitted a ticket asking for that.

I'm borrowing Arkham City from a friend so I haven't been able to play, but I'll take any signs that it's getting more stable, even if they are in difficult to decipher chart form.

Pennybags

Quit out after a horrible game on Seine Crossing. Whoever Dudebeast is was being a complete douche by baseraping the uncap with an Abrams.

Yes, I mad.

LordCanti

Pennybags said:
Quit out after a horrible game on Seine Crossing. Whoever Dudebeast is was being a complete douche by baseraping the uncap with an Abrams.

Yes, I mad.

Getting the rules locked down is next on the agenda. We've had so much trouble with the server stability, that there really hasn't been time to get the rules in place.

No base raping is a pretty big rule though. If you see someone breaking it, feel free to tell them to stop. Even if they didn't read it on join, if an admin tells them about it, they should get the message.

Tomorrow, possibly during half-time, I'll get the rules page up. Do we have a way to display a message to people on join, or at regular intervals yet?

LordCanti said:
Getting the rules locked down is next on the agenda. We've had so much trouble with the server stability, that there really hasn't been time to get the rules in place.

No base raping is a pretty big rule though. If you see someone breaking it, feel free to tell them to stop. Even if they didn't read it on join, if an admin tells them about it, they should get the message.

Tomorrow, possibly during half-time, I'll get the rules page up. Do we have a way to display a message to people on join, or at regular intervals yet?
not that i know of. we'd have to wait for CC to put out a new build as it works it's way up to full CC functionality.

LordCanti

Cuban Legend said:
not that i know of. we'd have to wait for CC to put out a new build as it works it's way up to full CC functionality.

No splash page, and no way to do a join message, or a message at intervals. They've made it really easy to get the rules across to everyone, haven't they?

demolitio

Wow, that was a ton of fun tonight. I just wish people would call out AA vehicles more before the poor souls in the air get obliterated by them. I can usually survive in a jet but it's still very annoying trying to shake both jets and AA, but the choppers are absolutely screwed if AA is still up. If people spot them or call them out in chat, it'd make it a lot easier for a rocket pod run to solve the problem. :p

I know jets are getting a buff but I hope choppers actually server a purpose. The scout choppers are great on Davamand to drop enemies on the other side and I can usually take out the other chopper plus infantry, but that all comes to an end after everyone comes out with their stingers next life. I know they don't want air to be dominant but it feels useless against ground targets anyway unless no one has any AA. The rocket pods on the jet were a savior to me since I can at least disable vehicles now.

But to have an AA unlock for the TANKS? All of those things aren't bad solo, but put all those things together and it gets to be a bit much.

RotBot

Just unlocked the Javelin. It's nice that I can deploy the SOFLAM, change to Engineer and still have the SOFLAM in place.

Orgun said:
Noooooooo, just snagged about 8 dogtags and then....disconected
server was pretty stable too, no lag I checked the performance logs.

DAMN IT, and it was my first round of the whole day after spending most of my day at work and busy. lol

well that was certainly the longest run the server has had before crashing though. :)

Multiplay didn't respond to my request about moving the server, only what Canti said earlier: they gave us the standard line about logging crashes and sending them to DICE.

How is the server now? Do we still want to move?

The results of the poll are in. The three questions were:

-How many days per week should we enable FF ("none" was an option, btw)?
-Should we disable the killcam?
-Should we enable squad-leader only spawning?

The majority of GAF want some sort of FF enabled during the week, for certain days, but not all the time. A minority asked for it to be turned off completely. So the admins and I will assess the results and get an idea of which day(s) might be best. In hindsight, I should have reworded the question to something like "all of the time", "some of the time", "none of the time".

The majority of GAF want the killcam disabled. This one was close.

Last, the majority of GAF do NOT want squad-leader spawning enabled. This one was even closer--it lost by less than 5 votes, I believe. We may reevaluate this one down the road after we've all put some more playtime in.

Also, there are about nine people applying to the NA Central platoon whose Soldier names I can't find on GAF. Please post them here so I can confirm!

derFeef

Anton Sugar said:
Last, the majority of GAF do NOT want squad-leader spawning enabled. This one was even closer--it lost by less than 5 votes, I believe. We may reevaluate this one down the road after we've all put some more playtime in.

:(

scogoth

Anton Sugar said:
Multiplay didn't respond to my request about moving the server, only what Canti said earlier: they gave us the standard line about logging crashes and sending them to DICE.

How is the server now? Do we still want to move?

So far it seems that 58-60 is the magic number of people before the server lag is an issue. It could be those CPU spike we saw at full capacity that are causing the issue. I would prefer Chicago over Texas just for ping time but don't know if that will solve our lag issues.

fin

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
I'm with you. Even if its just one day a week, SL spawning changes the flow and prevents a lot of that clusterfuck you see happening on some maps.

I completely agree. Although I voted for the opposite. But now after putting in the game time, I've changed my tune. With 64 players SL spawning should be always on. If it isn't BF turns into a meat grinder. I'm finding I'm doing a lot better when the game is between 40-50 players. So if it matters change my vote...

fin said:
I completely agree. Although I voted for the opposite. But now after putting in the game time, I've changed my tune. With 64 players SL spawning should be always on. If it isn't BF turns into a meat grinder. I'm finding I'm doing a lot better when the game is between 40-50 players. So if it matters change my vote...

We'll definitely do another poll in the future as people play more. I'd like it Squad leader only, myself.

RS4- said:
Nice match on Kharg with Anton and Doc in the squad, I can't remember who the 4th was.

GGs for now!

Damn good games!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm trying my best at this, but I think my color blindness is preventing me from reacting as quick as I like. :(

If I've shot at some of my teammates, sorry!

I just sucked it up on the GAF server, but still managed to place high on the scoreboard. Love it.

Also, fuck jpabloz and cannon590a
lol.gif
Was getting killed by them every 5 seconds, so frustrating!

NIN90

Today is a bad day for me. Always on the losing team, mostly negative KDR and low points.
And these are not close losses. They are mostly 0-200.

Update from Multiplay:

Battlefield 3 Crashes
Oct 30 2011 16:18:58 by Wahrheit
As we have previously noted, the current release of the Battlefield 3 server software (R5) has been determined to cause severe numbers of crashes and issues with extreme lag/rubberbanding on servers. This is something out of our control at this point and affecting all services across each and every RSP around the world.

We are working diligently with DICE to get this issue resolved by sending them crash logs as they happen but at this point we are awaiting the next server build in order to fix the issue.

We will update on ClanForge news as soon as the new build has been released and confirmed to be working, but in the meantime please know we are aware of the issues on every server and doing everything we can to get them fixed for you.

NIN90 said:
Today is a bad day for me. Always on the losing team, mostly negative KDR and low points.
And these are not close losses. They are mostly 0-200.

That's cause:

1. Everyone and their mother is a sniper/engineer. I admit, I'm an engineer too but because the goddamn tanks are so annoying. I'm switching to assault once I'm done maxing out engineer, and I'm a few thousand points from that.

2. Everyone is linear. Capture A and B and then aim for C instead of D or E. Not only that but once they capture, they forget about it and run to the other base.

3. No one plays with the squad. After losing battles, I told my brother to join and and with coordination/mic/trust, we had some epic comebacks (Seine Crossing and Damavand Peak).

Regardless of that, it's a one man army. Those that are using mumble can play good/coordinate. Other than that, it's always "whoever gets to the 3 captures first wins" cause everyone will go prone with sniper or sit in the top of a crane with spawn beacon. Join a squad not as mobile spawnpoints but for coordination. Stop aiming for a high K/D ratio. It sucks seeing people in this "master race" servers with 23-0 K/D ratio where all they do is snipe and not care about captures. Yet, you end up getting more points with 5/8 K/D ratio since capturing matters to you.

I'm going to stick to 32 player servers cause 64 player is hectic with no coordination at all.

Other nitpicks:

- People in Tanks/LAV sit at the edge of their spawn point at shoot at targets. If that's what your goal is i.e. using a vehicle and being a long soldier then use a goddamn mortar strike, or be a sniper. Don't waste vehicles cause it's annoying in large maps like Kharg Island to walk miles to get to a point, only to be picked off by a sniper hiding somewhere somehow and not being marked or picked off by others who are closer to him.

- Camping for Jets. Really? Camping was cool during the beta days cause Caspian Border was a "privilege". Now? It just creates a lack of following orders and getting objectives. Pisses me off to the point that when I know it's impossible to win the round, I just wait for people who camp for it and flash the damn flashlight on them and try to shoot the jet when it spawns. Yes, I am that guy.

mr.rager

One suggestion, mortar fire from army base spawn shouldn't be allowed since if an opposing player goes there they get the death countdown. There was a person doing this on Grand Bazaar and I thought it was pretty lame.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
shagg_187 said:
That's cause:

1. Everyone and their mother is a sniper/engineer. I admit, I'm an engineer too but because the goddamn tanks are so annoying. I'm switching to assault once I'm done maxing out engineer, and I'm a few thousand points from that.

2. Everyone is linear. Capture A and B and then aim for C instead of D or E.

3. No one plays with the squad. After losing battles, I told my brother to join and and with coordination/mic/trust, we had some epic comebacks (Seine Crossing and Damavand Peak).

Regardless of that, it's a one man army. Those that are using mumble can play good/coordinate. Other than that, it's always "whoever gets to the 3 captures first wins" cause everyone will go prone with sniper or sit in the top of a crane with spawn beacon. Join a squad not as mobile spawnpoints but for coordination. Stop aiming for a high K/D ratio. It sucks seeing people in this "master race" servers with 23-0 K/D ratio where all they do is snipe and not care about captures. Yet, you end up getting more points with 5/8 K/D ratio since capturing matters to you.

I'm going to stick to 32 player servers cause 64 player is hectic with no coordination at all.
Don't forget that a lot of us are still figuring out the game. Some people are waiting for specific vehicles as well just to get the basic upgrades on them as well.

My K/D ratio sucks but I get decent point totals as I'm constantly trying to take/retake flags. Opportunistically when possible (i.e. try to sneak into an enemy held spot towards their rear if there's not a lot of spawning there). I expect to do better K/D wise once we get some color-blind options.

XiaNaphryz said:
Don't forget that a lot of us are still figuring out the game.

My K/D ratio sucks but I get decent point totals as I'm constantly trying to take/retake flags. Opportunistically when possible (i.e. try to sneak into an enemy held spot towards their rear if there's not a lot of spawning there). I expect to do better K/D wise once we get some color-blind options.

Yes, I agree with that too. But then what happens is that all the good players who are on mumble and have been playing since the heydays join one side and let the other side fill up with newfies, and picking them up like rats. It's easy to know which side is going to win just by looking at which side has GAF clan tags and which side doesn't.

I guess a month is a good time to justify the learning process.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Outside of the Multiplay server, I have had very few issues. There has to be another problem and blaming DICE is lame and inaccurate.

So I totally suck at the game, and I'm still bouncing between classes to figure out which I like best.

That said, I did snipe the pilot of a helicopter during our 8v8 match in the late hours yesterday, just after the server crapped itself again. so awesome! those are the moments I play Battlefield for.

that said, I'm tired of everyone lone-wolfing it. I'm down to play as part of a squad/mumble if anybody wants to (I'm timetokill on mumble, cannibalchef on BF3). I got to play a couple matches like that yesterday and it's a lot more fun, and reminds me more of BF2 when I had a great group to play with.

Smokey

DenogginizerOS said:
Outside of the Multiplay server, I have had very few issues. There has to be another problem and blaming DICE is lame and inaccurate.

Yeah I played last night on other servers and had no problems. Something isn't adding up with them.

Top Bottom