• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Community Meetup

Server update!

It´s sunday night over here at the office. It´s cold and dark outside but inside one of the nicest buildings located in the heart of Stockholm, sits a team that is working on updates. We at DICE are rolling out a new server update and of course, we are posting the change log to you.

For users, this means that you don´t need to update your client since this is a server side update.

- Fix for crashes usually occurring during level switches. Server providers may see a little bit of memory leakage instead in this situation

- Game servers should no longer quit in some situations where the online backend servers are down. Server will reconnect to the backend once it's up again

- Fix for ghost servers which didn't accept connections

- Kick reasons should better match situations where they are issued. This will help battlelog provide more accurate information to the player

- Connection fixes to avoid players sometimes being rejected while joining the game server on one of the last slots

- Security updates

- Improved server logging

Menelaus

Banned
We need to make sure the admins know how to kick pretty soon...annoying having 3 of us in the server and can't kick a guy who is baseraping.

Menelaus said:
We need to make sure the admins know how to kick pretty soon...annoying having 3 of us in the server and can't kick a guy who is baseraping.
I've been afraid to even go on the ClanForge page after talks of action crashing the server, haha.

I've been waiting for that BF3CC personally. >_>

NIN90

NIN90 said:
Today is a bad day for me. Always on the losing team, mostly negative KDR and low points.
And these are not close losses. They are mostly 0-200.

Well that was until I slapped that IRNV on my M4. Holy shit that thing is so OP.
I just played a full rotation on the Euro GAF server and had a KDR of 3 or 4 in most matches. D:D:D:

Zeppelin

NIN90 said:
Well that was until I slapped that IRNV on my M4. Holy shit that thing is so OP.
I just played a full rotation on the Euro GAF server and had a KDR of 3 or 4 in most matches. D:D:D:

Yup, the IRNV is pretty awesome. Maybe a little too awesome.

Zeppelin

Anton Sugar said:
Eh, spotting isn't even an issue now that they've made it so it disappears once line of sight is broken, IMO.

Just played on a server with all of those things turned off and it's a whole different game. Not sure if I enjoyed it very much though. You're pretty fucked if you're going on foot. I bet it makes more sense if you can get both teams focusing on teamplay and working the objectives but good luck with that on a random public server. I think the GAF server is much more fun as is. Maybe turn off 3rd person vehicle view since that just gives people in a vehicle an unfair advantage.

Was just in the GAF server as -GK- MegaHurtZ. Great ping and some pretty good players. I havent played Metro Conquest yet, but Seine Conquest is unbearable.

Edit: Just played Metro Conquest. It's the worst idea ever.

TylerD

I have been having a ton of fun on the Gaf server even though I am borderline terrible. I prefer the open maps so much more than the city type maps due to having to worry about inching around corners and getting blown away. Those corner/alleyway firefights are annoying especially when you pop out to try to get a couple of shots and you can't get back in time when you are bumping into a teammate.

Seems like pretty much everyone discovered engineer and they are a bit OP in my opinion. They are just so versatile but it kind of makes sense because there are so many heavy armor threats on many maps.

LordCanti

Foliorum Viridum said:
I've been afraid to even go on the ClanForge page after talks of action crashing the server, haha.

I've been waiting for that BF3CC personally. >_>

We've all got to get on the same page soon lol. Kicking has been working for days, as long as you make sure to fill out a reason for the kick. Same with banning.

Menelaus

Banned
LordCanti said:
We've all got to get on the same page soon lol. Kicking has been working for days, as long as you make sure to fill out a reason for the kick. Same with banning.
If all that is required is going to clanforge and kicking with a reason, that's simple enough. Like FV, I've been hesitant to touch that page.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
jesus.

I never had so many issues playing on any server until I played on the GAF server just now.
First it froze my client, then it bsod me :/

I've been playing on other servers just fine before and after the GAF server :/
I am disappoint

LordCanti

g35twinturbo said:
jesus.

I never had so many issues playing on any server until I played on the GAF server just now.
First it froze my client, then it bsod me :/

I've been playing on other servers just fine before and after the GAF server :/
I am disappoint

Our server can be blamed for a lot of things, but freezing clients and BSOD'ing people isn't one of them. Neither has anything to do with our individual server, and everything to do with DICE's buggy game :p

Zeppelin

Ferga said:
Anyone have some tips on flying jets and helis with the keyboard?

I just suck at it :(

To be honest, just practise. The controls are a little weird at first and you're gonna crash a lot and people are gonna tell you stay the fuck away from choppers if you can't fly. Don't mind them and keep at it. Fly aggressive and fly low and practise doing insane turns and sweeps and all of a sudden you're just gonna get it and it's easy as pie. That's how it was for me.

Zeppelin said:
To be honest, just practise. The controls are a little weird at first and you're gonna crash a lot and people are gonna tell you stay the fuck away from choppers if you can't fly. Don't mind them and keep at it. Fly aggressive and fly low and practise doing insane turns and sweeps and all of a sudden you're just gonna get it and it's easy as pie. That's how it was for me.

Why is it so different from BC2?

Its like night and day for me. Like if I barely turn the chopper that shit is going crashing into the ground.

Had my best game on the GAF server just now, started it off by holding one of the bridges on seine crossing by myself with a four kill by unloading the 40mm into a Vodnik then the secondary explosion took everyone on the bridge out, ended with an epic last stand in the market garden.

This game is the tits.

Also, <3 PinkPony66

FStop7

Banned
I was a total creeper on Mumble all day long. I don't have a mic, so I just listened in on game chatter. It really does make a big difference, so I guess now I shall get a mic.

Nabs

Ferga said:
Anyone have some tips on flying jets and helis with the keyboard?

I just suck at it :(

For copters:

- Get a friend
- Play the Co-Op mission
- Die a lot until you get it

You might want to switch the controls around. I think I did (normal/inverted).

Spoo

Megalodactyl said:
Had my best game on the GAF server just now, started it off by holding one of the bridges on seine crossing by myself with a four kill by unloading the 40mm into a Vodnik then the secondary explosion took everyone on the bridge out, ended with an epic last stand in the market garden.

This game is the tits.

Also, <3 PinkPony66

:D I'm the PinkPony. Had a lot of fun -- we'll do it again later!

LordCanti said:
I shall start kicking and banning then!

Nah, not needed to yet, honestly. Good to know that I can safely though. :)

Pennybags

Foliorum Viridum said:
I shall start kicking and banning then!

Nah, not needed to yet, honestly. Good to know that I can safely though. :)

Not directed to towards you or any single person but admins please remember to warn people adequately first, even if they are being dickbags.

Also, as far as it is possible, action should be taken on firmly established rules.

Transparency is the key.

Until we have a place to display the rules we'll have to be more lenient, I agree.

I really haven't noticed any dickheads in either of the GAF servers yet, though. It's nice to know that we're all pretty cool dudes!

Pennybags

Foliorum Viridum said:
I really haven't noticed any dickheads in either of the GAF servers yet, though.

Oh, man. In the North American server I've seen people spawncamping the uncap, knowingly destroying friendly explosives, doing the teamkill vehicle exploit, camping the other side's runways with helis, making frequent use of language befitting a typical XBL user, and exhibiting some seriously vitriolic behaviour towards others in the chatbox.

Quite a few of these were people with [GAF] tags.

Speaking of tags, I've seen plenty of "edgy" folks with KKK/FAGS/etc. as their tag. Those are obviously randoms, though. Well, I'd hope so, at least.

Will say that the vast majority of players I've come across are great, though.

LordCanti

Pennybags said:
Oh, man. In the North American server I've seen people spawncamping the uncap, knowingly destroying friendly explosives, doing the teamkill vehicle exploit, camping the other side's runways with helis, making frequent use of language befitting a typical XBL user, and exhibiting some seriously vitriolic behaviour towards others in the chatbox.

Speaking of tags, I've seen plenty of "edgy" folks with KKK/FAGS/etc. as their tag. Those are obviously randoms, though. Well, I'd hope so, at least.

Ban away on people that don't understand the most basic rules (like racists). They'll find another server.

On everything else, it's kind of hard to enforce those rules until we have a way to actually tell people the rules. Common sense should tell people that being a complete asshole in the chat box will result in a ban though.

JackEtc

Foliorum Viridum said:
Wow, really? Guess I've been lucky, then.

I bet half of that was Cuban though to be fair.
Cuban :lol

Yeah, haven't run into anyone bad. Everyone in Mumble is pretty chill as well, they all did the auditory equivalent of a double take when I said I was 8 when 1942 came out, lol

JackEtc said:
Cuban :lol

Yeah, haven't run into anyone bad. Everyone in Mumble is pretty chill as well, they all did the auditory equivalent of a double take when I said I was 8 when 1942 came out, lol
You are aware that BF3 is an 18 rated game, right?

Don't think we should let him play until he's 18, boys. Breaking the law should be frowned upon like racism and homophobia. Don't want our server being shut down.

Edit: Apparently it's 16. THERE GOES MY JOKE. :(

Foliorum Viridum said:
Wow, really? Guess I've been lucky, then.

I bet half of that was Cuban though to be fair.
Weren't you the one who was planting AT mines at the exit of the uncap @ grand bazaar after we had wiped the team and capped all their flags last night? PS. Thats just like engaging them at the uncap without them having engaged you first, they could be simply trying to ride out of the uncap past us to get to a flag somewhere, but we'll never know now will we. ;)

Anyway, I was in the hospital with my father all night last night, got home after midnight EST and I immediately hit the sack from exhaustion, so....

So if I'm not there I'm sure any of the other admins could have dealt with rule breaking just as easily.

warn, kick, ban. easy as pie folks.

Haha, yep, that was me. :D That was just a bit of good old fashioned trolling since there were only 8 of us in the server. I know not to do that stuff in proper games :p

Sorry to hear about your dad! I chip in with a bit of banter and it happens to be at a bad time. Just my luck!

Someone come in and shout "CUBANNN" to save me.

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:
Haha, yep, that was me. :D That was just a bit of good old fashioned trolling since there were only 8 of us in the server. I know not to do that stuff in proper games :p

Sorry to hear about your dad! I chip in with a bit of banter and it happens to be at a bad time. Just my luck!

Someone come in and shout "CUBANNN" to save me.

Queue ban!

Deadly

Pennybags said:

I think I blew up friendly explosives yesterday night accidentally. I didn't even know how I did it though (I assume it was friendly since I didn't take any damage but I don't remember seeing anything on minimap either), one second I kill someone with a rocket, I start running and then I got 3 destroying explosives ribbons and I went wtf? Sorry though.

NeoGAF server admins: I believe that Canti already gave you access via Clanforge to the server "Live Control" (you need to have registered a Multiplay account first). From here, you can kick/ban players. Has everyone logged in and checked it out? As long as you enter a reason when you kick/ban someone, the server should be fine.

Server was being updated to R6 lastnight during the Outage apparently, heres the Multiplay news regarding that:

We will be rolling out the latest server update for Battlefield 3 (R6) immediately. All BF3 services will be restarted to pick up these fixes.

Changes include:
  • - Fix for crashes usually occurring during level switches.
  • - Game servers should no longer quit in some situations where the online backend servers are down. Server will reconnect to the backend once it's up again.
  • - Fix for ghost servers which didn't accept connections.
  • - Kick reasons should better match situations where they are issued. This will help battlelog provide more accurate information to the player.
  • - Connection fixes to avoid players sometimes being rejected while joining the game server on one of the last slots.

Sanjay

Pennybags said:

Must have been the HoN community, I hear its the worst in the universe.

Menelaus

Banned
Is there any way that admins can be displayed differently in game, so people know it's not just some generic person warning them?

Maybe it's not that big a deal in the long run.

what you can do is use the admin say command in clanforge to say into the server, it shows up as being the "admin" who said it.
Anton Sugar said:
NeoGAF server admins: I believe that Canti already gave you access via Clanforge to the server "Live Control" (you need to have registered a Multiplay account first). From here, you can kick/ban players. Has everyone logged in and checked it out? As long as you enter a reason when you kick/ban someone, the server should be fine.
Hey I need you to come into mumble for a moment, if not just read your PMs

edit: THANKS, YOU CAN CHANGE IT BACK NOW BRO.

reedit: alright bros, we are now set up to track our server on GameTracker:

Top Bottom