• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Community Meetup

1stStrike

Banned
ACE 1991 said:
Had a great time rollin' squad deep with pennybags and striketh, we all need to play together more! :)

Yar, was a good time. We were rocking the CITV station on the tank shooting down helicopters and shit. We even got someone in a jet :D

With a good squad that shit is great.

flippeh

Foliorum Viridum said:
I was on the side that was destroyed and it wasn't fun at all. :(

I don't mind being destroyed once in a while, but 6 times in a row by a large margin makes me :(

Some fun games other than that!

LordCanti

1stStrike said:
Yar, was a good time. We were rocking the CITV station on the tank shooting down helicopters and shit. We even got someone in a jet :D

With a good squad that shit is great.

That's what Finjitsu, me, and Penny were doing tonight (you as well, I'm just realizing). We took out the same helicopter full of guys probably three times in a single round of Caspian. Much more effective than a tank without a third seat + guided missiles.

To the guys base raping jets: We know that you're damaging them on the runway, letting them take off, and then finishing them off (or else waiting for someone to spawn, and then taking them out before they can takeoff). Quit that shit.

fin

Reminding the admin to change Tehran Highway from three bases to five. The map was too small for 64 players tonight. One team got completely crushed.

edit: totally beaten. GG

Anton Sugar said:
Hey, we lost a lot of rounds! We squeezed out the last few wins.
It's okay to lose a few games in Conquest because I feel with the open nature of the mode you can always find a way to sneak around and get some kills etc. In Rush? If they're pushing good you're just fucked. Or am I at least. I can be happy on a shit team in CQ (afterall I'm quite shit myself so who am I to judge?) but in Rush it gets boring real fast.

Also, thanks if you kicked someone last night for me to get in the server. Not sure if you did or if someone just left. If you did I feel bad for the chap you kicked because in 15 minutes I crashed three helicopters and died about 15 times before giving up and going to bed.

The lesson? Drunk BF3 is really hard. >_>

I'm having a sober weekend, though, so I'm really looking forward to putting some time into the server over the next few days between rushing uni assignments and playing Uncharted 3!

Foliorum Viridum said:
It's okay to lose a few games in Conquest because I feel with the open nature of the mode you can always find a way to sneak around and get some kills etc. In Rush? If they're pushing good you're just fucked. Or am I at least. I can be happy on a shit team in CQ (afterall I'm quite shit myself so who am I to judge?) but in Rush it gets boring real fast.

Also, thanks if you kicked someone last night for me to get in the server. Not sure if you did or if someone just left. If you did I feel bad for the chap you kicked because in 15 minutes I crashed three helicopters and died about 15 times before giving up and going to bed.

I'm having a sober weekend, though, so I'm really looking forward to putting some time into the server over the next few days between rushing uni assignments and playing Uncharted 3!

lol.gif

Agreed on the difference in game modes. Good Conquest maps give just about any team a fighting chance because the fight can be really dynamic--there is always an outlying base or two that are easy to cap and keep the battle moving around. In Rush, if you're shut out, you're usually shut out.

fin said:
Reminding the admin to change Tehran Highway from three bases to five. The map was too small for 64 players tonight. One team got completely crushed.

edit: totally beaten. GG

Fixed, that was 100% my fault. Although that round started with us losing by a pretty good margin, Scogoth, Spl1nter, my brother and I got in a great position and started taking cap points.

So I noticed the server isn't showing in Battlelog this morning. I've fixed the Tehran map to use the CQ64 version and also enable a Punkbuster addon, which shouldn't have any effect on the game to players. The server still wasn't showing, even after a reboot, but it looks like it's up now. Please let me or Canti know if it disappears throughout the day.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Foliorum Viridum said:
I was on the side that was destroyed and it wasn't fun at all. :(

Yeah, I was on the side that got its face smashed in numerous times in a row (then I crashed and was on the other side for a bit). What was my squad doing? Well, they would take missiles and camp on various mountains and other high areas and attack airplanes and helicopters. The entire match.

Sometimes I feel like a fool for trying to capture flags when so many other people clearly aren't.

I think if a side wins by 100+ points two matches in a row, the teams should be scrambled.

Mr_eX

Foliorum Viridum said:

I like rush because there's a greater sense of accomplishment when you're playing against a good team and you win. The other day I was playing and my team was just getting shut down at every turn, somehow my squad managed to destroy the first point but the defenders were all over the second. We have 3 tickets remaining, my friend says its over but I was near the objective. I take out 3 or 4 enemies, plant the bomb and defend it till it goes off and we get 75 more tickets. Probably the best moment I've had so far in the game.

AndyD

aka andydumi
commish said:
I think if a side wins by 100+ points two matches in a row, the teams should be scrambled.

Its odd they only do rebalance on login. They should have rebalance of teams every game. Didnt BC2 do this?

Orgun

I feel like i've let someone down, i've only put 19 hours in since Friday. :(

Btw, how close are we to having reserved slots sorted?

Orgun said:
I feel like i've let someone down, i've only put 19 hours in since Friday. :(

Btw, how close are we to having reserved slots sorted?

Only DICE knows, I'm afraid. Server tools don't have the ability, currently.

flippeh

commish said:
Yeah, I was on the side that got its face smashed in numerous times in a row (then I crashed and was on the other side for a bit). What was my squad doing? Well, they would take missiles and camp on various mountains and other high areas and attack airplanes and helicopters. The entire match.

Sometimes I feel like a fool for trying to capture flags when so many other people clearly aren't.

I get the feeling that some people are playing Conquest as if it's a giant team deathmatch game and either don't know or don't care there is flags to capture.

I can't wait to play some more tonight!

Many of you guys are good that's for sure, I had my run of the money when people were killing me 2 or 3 times over. And good job to my teammates who've been spotting and such, it makes playing the game feel like a lot of fun frantically defending the objectives.

Again my bf3 server name is Vanguard_Ike. Look forward to playing with you guys tonight!

derFeef

Ice Raven said:
can someone explain to me what a squad leader can do?
i read somewhere that you can spot capture points.
how do you do that?
Point at capture points and spot (Q). You will get attack and and defense bonuses with that.

fin

Just gonna watch An American Horror Story and I'll be online. Anyone watch this series? It's pretty sweet.

sp3000

Wow, can we please ban whole groups of clans from joining the server? A bunch of douchebags from some clan called dynamic completely unbalanced the teams, and the admins(if there was even one there) did not give a shit. Left the server after 2 rounds of 1 team holding every flag the entire round.

You gotta love it when clans too cheap to buy their own server just overrun other ones. It seriously makes it totally pointless to even play when the teams are that unbalanced.

Menelaus

Banned
sp3000 said:
Wow, can we please ban whole groups of clans from joining the server? A bunch of douchebags from some clan called dynamic completely unbalanced the teams, and the admins(if there was even one there) did not give a shit. Left the server after 2 rounds of 1 team holding every flag the entire round.

You gotta love it when clans too cheap to buy their own server just overrun other ones. It seriously makes it totally pointless to even play when the teams are that unbalanced.

There were 3 of them. Our server still isn't full. They didn't break any rules. I'm gonna say "nahhhhh".

sp3000

Menelaus said:
There were 3 of them. Our server still isn't full. They didn't break any rules. I'm gonna say "nahhhhh".

I counted at least 6 at the time I was playing. It's a problem when the server is at 30 people and one team is totally stacked and has every flag for two rounds. If that's considered par for the course than I'd rather play elsewhere.

What does the server being full have to do with it anyway? Are we so desperate to attract players that we have to cater to noob bashing clans?

Menelaus

Banned
beside the fact that we CAN'T scramble the teams via clanforge, if your team of 32 can't scrap up 6 decent players to counter theirs...well...

sp3000

Menelaus said:
beside the fact that we CAN'T scramble the teams via clanforge, if your team of 32 can't scrap up 6 decent players to counter theirs...well...

The server wasn't full, so where the hell are you getting the team of 32 from. It was about a 20 v 20, which makes the individual players matter much more. It would be fine if the members spread themselves evenly across both teams, but obviously they just wanted to rack up spectacular ratios off noobs.

Anyway you obviously have your mind concluded on the matter, and you were playing on their team at the time anyway, so I'm sure you were enjoying the stacked teams..

sp3000 said:
The server wasn't full, so where the hell are you getting the team of 32 from. It was about a 20 v 20, which makes the individual players matter much more. It would be fine if the members spread themselves evenly across both teams, but obviously they just wanted to rack up spectacular ratios off noobs.

Anyway you obviously have your mind concluded on the matter, and you were playing on their team at the time anyway, so I'm sure you were enjoying the stacked teams..
If you guys need some balancing, just holler at me in mumble, I'm in the AFK channel but my headphones are on.

I can autobalance teams through the CC as long as there is one blank space on each team.

Menelaus said:

At least 4 at some point even more. Full 5 rounds of overwhelming unbalance with last 2 getting baseraped/spawnraped.

Menelaus said:

6 players with high level of teamwork on a mostly random team based?...yeah, hard to counter it.

scogoth

Relaxed Muscle said:
6 players with high level of teamwork on a mostly random team based?...yeah, hard to counter it.

Umm its quite easy actaully. Most of the team isn't random there were way more than 6 gaffers on each team and thats only people with clan tags. There were at least 10 of us on mumble. You think your getting raped then get on mumble organize with other gaffers and beat them, thats what chapel, pennybags, tman and myself did.

scogoth

DTKT said:

No the AA gun is dumb. There is no way to counter it. It can stay near spawn far away from any ground damage and the closest you can come to killing it is Guided missile with beamscanning into a gun barrage and even then its only disabled. Helis are instantly flipped with no way to recover and it kills infantry faster than any other land vehicle.

Stupidest vehicle in the game. Stingers(and guided tank missiles) are more than enough to control airspace from the ground

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
outsida said:
<3 The AA gun.
The anti-air missiles are fun to play with too, especially if your target already hit their flares to avoid something else. The missiles are more distractions than anything to get them to move into the AA gunfire anyway.

LordCanti

On the issue of balancing: There is currently no way (other than doing it manually) to balance by "skill". If a clan joins the server and they beat the other team...good on them? As long as the teams are balanced by numbers. If we "balanced" the teams by switching clan members around, they'd probably just leave anyway. Just because they have the same clan tag doesn't mean they are a professional "clan" either, just like how a lot of us have GAF as our clan tags, despite us not being a clan.

Do we really want to be the server where groups can't play together, when we often play together as a group ourselves?

Zeppelin

scogoth said:
No the AA gun is dumb. There is no way to counter it. It can stay near spawn far away from any ground damage and the closest you can come to killing it is Guided missile with beamscanning into a gun barrage and even then its only disabled. Helis are instantly flipped with no way to recover and it kills infantry faster than any other land vehicle.

Stupidest vehicle in the game. Stingers(and guided tank missiles) are more than enough to control airspace from the ground

Just because you're in the air doesn't mean you own the whole map. I have no problem with getting shot down by the mobile AA if I'm too close the enemy base and if it's out rollin' on it's own it won't survive for long. My tank eats mobile AAs for breakfast.

Edit: I find myself playing quite a lot on the US server and the netcode still amazes me. Occasionally I'll get killed after having dived for cover so there's a little bit of lag there but other than that it's very playable. That lead me to thinking that maybe I'm ruining the game for everyone else some how. If that's the case please let me know and I'll find other hunting grounds, Battlefrog soldier is zulustar.

Menelaus

Banned
LordCanti said:
On the issue of balancing: There is currently no way (other than doing it manually) to balance by "skill". If a clan joins the server and they beat the other team...good on them? As long as the teams are balanced by numbers. If we "balanced" the teams by switching clan members around, they'd probably just leave anyway. Just because they have the same clan tag doesn't mean they are a professional "clan" either, just like how a lot of us have GAF as our clan tags, despite us not being a clan.

Do we really want to be the server where groups can't play together, when we often play together as a group ourselves?
I wouldn't worry about it. Good on them, indeed.

outsida

XiaNaphryz said:
The anti-air missiles are fun to play with too, especially if your target already hit their flares to avoid something else. The missiles are more distractions than anything to get them to move into the AA gunfire anyway.
This is the exact strategy I use... I've had all of the opposing teams choppers/jets trying to bombard me because I'm so pesky with it at times. I also use it to hold flags that are sorta away from where the main firefights are taking place, to keep lone recons or squads from capping.

flippeh

Fun games tonight!

LordCanti said:

I tend to lose interest playing on the server when I'm on a team that has lost the previous half dozen rounds by a landslide. That just ain't fun.

It is what it is, this issue is not terribly addressable right now.

1stStrike

Banned
I had fun tonight, for sure. Whoever was flying the choppers - I got a lot of kills off you guys with mah tank >:D

Other than that, a so-so night for me stats-wise. I excel at driving a tank, but I'm garbage at most everything else.

Top Bottom