• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Community Meetup

1stStrike

Banned
dLMN8R said:
We just played a very long Conquest game, then it switched to the laggy Tehran Highway so everyone left.

We've had no lag on that at all today and it came up a few times. Even with a full server, it ran fine. It's fixed as far as I can tell.

LordCanti

1stStrike said:
We've had no lag on that at all today and it came up a few times. Even with a full server, it ran fine. It's fixed as far as I can tell.

Yep. Played it earlier and it was completely fine. Our server seems much more stable tonight after the patch.

FStop7

Banned
Shaundakahl said:
no one is on, sad face.

I've found a couple of good west coast servers that are busy pretty late into the night. Medick's Madhouse and LANDiego Battl3plan. Both run Conquest most of the time. The LANDiego server has friendly fire enabled and kill cam disabled, Medick's server runs normal rules.

LordCanti said:
On the issue of balancing: There is currently no way (other than doing it manually) to balance by "skill". If a clan joins the server and they beat the other team...good on them? As long as the teams are balanced by numbers. If we "balanced" the teams by switching clan members around, they'd probably just leave anyway. Just because they have the same clan tag doesn't mean they are a professional "clan" either, just like how a lot of us have GAF as our clan tags, despite us not being a clan.

Do we really want to be the server where groups can't play together, when we often play together as a group ourselves?

The clan was in their username....

They just seemed a couple of notches above the typical "people talking on mumble".

Not that I don't want clans on it, not that I have vote on the matter, but after several rounds losing, how are you suposed to face the next round when you know you don't stand a chance are you only there to raise other people stats and ego?

Well, I know next time I just should leave.

Menelaus said:
I counted 8 gaffers on the "raped" team.

Soooooooo

There was several gaffers on the other team too and you people were sure to keep having fun on that side, even Xia was quite happy spawnraping with the tank in Seinen, so was your point?

Every advantage of going mumble was on the other side of gaffers too,right?

Also in my particular case: I don't have a mic right now.

LordCanti

Relaxed Muscle said:

They just seemed a couple of notches above the typical "people talking on mumble".

Not that I don't want clans on it, not that I have vote on the matter, but after several rounds losing, how are you suposed to face the next round when you know you don't stand a chance are you only there to raise other people stats and ego?

If their clan tag was in their Origin names, I take back the bit about clan tag not meaning much. Still though, if you don't mind clans being in the server...what do you want admins to do?

Clan's aren't even the real problem. I've played many hours on the server at this point, and I haven't seen a single clan. I've seen plenty of lopsided games though, because the server does not balance by skill. This is because DICE hasn't implemented this functionality. Having an admin do it manually could go really wrong, really fast if the balance is tipped too far to one side. An admin has no way of knowing how well the players they are switching are playing as a team either. If we switch the top couple scorers, and they're just campers that never take flags, would they really help your team? The admins have no real way of knowing how a person got their score. On the end scoreboard of a match, both teams are usually pretty balanced out in terms of total score in my experience. There are inevitably five to ten people at the top in the 2-5k score range, and a bunch of people below that. How you'd balance that out without a script (and the computer doing the math), I don't know. Maybe it's more of a spread when a dedicated clan is in there, but splitting them would just cause them to leave most likely. Then there is the issue of the server having less people on it because they've left, which isn't ideal either.

This game is still being patched to address bugs. Things like more advanced admin controls are probably low priority at DICE right now. If the RCON community (namely the guys making plugins for Procon) get some well tested scripts out, we'll jump on them. Until then, we can't guarantee that an admin is going to be sitting around, trying to manually balance the teams at all times of the day and night. Honestly, except in the rare event of a really determined and high leveled clan, it's almost impossible for a lone admin to "balance" anything, by skill anyway.

I don't know what server you're going to find with a better balance. If you do find one, and it's due to something other than chance, we're all ears for the solution their admins are using.

Rambling due to how early it is.

LordCanti said:
If their clan tag was in their Origin names, I take back the bit about clan tag not meaning much. Still though, if you don't mind clans being in the server...what do you want admins to do?

Clan's aren't even the real problem. I've played many hours on the server at this point, and I haven't seen a single clan. I've seen plenty of lopsided games though, because the server does not balance by skill. This is because DICE hasn't implemented this functionality. Having an admin do it manually could go really wrong, really fast if the balance is tipped too far to one side. An admin has no way of knowing how well the players they are switching are playing as a team either. If we switch the top couple scorers, and they're just campers that never take flags, would they really help your team? The admins have no real way of knowing how a person got their score. On the end scoreboard of a match, both teams are usually pretty balanced out in terms of total score in my experience. There are inevitably five to ten people at the top in the 2-5k score range, and a bunch of people below that. How you'd balance that out without a script (and the computer doing the math), I don't know. Maybe it's more of a spread when a dedicated clan is in there, but splitting them would just cause them to leave most likely. Then there is the issue of the server having less people on it because they've left, which isn't ideal either.

This game is still being patched to address bugs. Things like more advanced admin controls are probably low priority at DICE right now. If the RCON community (namely the guys making plugins for Procon) get some well tested scripts out, we'll jump on them. Until then, we can't guarantee that an admin is going to be sitting around, trying to manually balance the teams at all times of the day and night. Honestly, except in the rare event of a really determined and high leveled clan, it's almost impossible for a lone admin to "balance" anything, by skill anyway.

I don't know what server you're going to find with a better balance. If you do find one, and it's due to something other than chance, we're all ears for the solution their admins are using.

Rambling due to how early it is.

I don't mind clans on the server, but if for balancing reasons they need to split in 2 teams (3 members on one team the other 3 on the other), what's so bad about it? If they don't want that then IMO is their problem, because then their notion of fun is wretched.

I don't know what tools do you have, and I supose right now is a pain in the ass all those things, but I wasn't strictly speaking about the present and more about the future when all the tools are in admin hands.

I didn't mean you guys aren't doing a good job, I supose it was a bit frustrating, for me the matter is closed.

Mazdarati

Neo Member
Relaxed Muscle said:

The great players here on GAF combined with that group/clan was unbeatable.
I'm not complaining nor requesting some kind of administrative balance. If I'm getting crushed game after game, then I leave, check out another server and come back to GAF later. No big deal.

RotBot

Is there a way to turn down the team switch timer? If the losing team has too few players due to rage quitting, I like to switch sides to rebalance the numbers. But I can't switch again for another 2 hours because I would be switching sides "too often".

scogoth

Zeppelin said:
Just because you're in the air doesn't mean you own the whole map. I have no problem with getting shot down by the mobile AA if I'm too close the enemy base and if it's out rollin' on it's own it won't survive for long. My tank eats mobile AAs for breakfast.

Edit: I find myself playing quite a lot on the US server and the netcode still amazes me. Occasionally I'll get killed after having dived for cover so there's a little bit of lag there but other than that it's very playable. That lead me to thinking that maybe I'm ruining the game for everyone else some how. If that's the case please let me know and I'll find other hunting grounds, Battlefrog soldier is zulustar.

I'm not concerned about owning the whole map, thats the point of of the stationary AA and stingers. The issue is that the mobile AA can stay way out of tank fire range at the edge of their spawn and still cover the entire map on caspian and kharg. Firestorm is large enough and open enough to alleviate this problem. Still I think the mobile AA needs to have a counter other then just tanks. All other vehicles have more than one counter to it except the mobile AA, and no engineers don't counter it, AA rapes infantry.

RotBot said:
Is there a way to turn down the team switch timer? If the losing team has too few players due to rage quitting, I like to switch sides to rebalance the numbers. But I can't switch again for another 2 hours because I would be switching sides "too often".

Not currently, at least from what I can see. I'll doublecheck though.

LordCanti

RotBot said:

There isn't a way, unfortunately. Someone should create a balancing script that works mid-round soon enough.

If all goes according to plan, we should have join messages working by tonight. This means we'll have rules posted finally, which means that admins can get serious about enforcing them.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Mazdarati said:
The great players here on GAF combined with that group/clan was unbeatable.
I'm not complaining nor requesting some kind of administrative balance. If I'm getting crushed game after game, then I leave, check out another server and come back to GAF later. No big deal.

I can't deny the fact that, for whatever reason, server unbalance seems to happen more on the GAF server than other servers. Probably just coincidence (since I play on GAF more than other servers), but sometimes after a match or two, you just know you're in for a 5 game sweep (or getting swept). I'd love for teams to be shuffled up but it is what it is.

commish said:
I can't deny the fact that, for whatever reason, server unbalance seems to happen more on the GAF server than other servers. Probably just coincidence (since I play on GAF more than other servers), but sometimes after a match or two, you just know you're in for a 5 game sweep (or getting swept). I'd love for teams to be shuffled up but it is what it is.

I think shuffling the teams would be a little annoying, as friends want to play with friends. Switching/shuffling squads, however, would be good. Friends would still be in the same squad but the teams could be balanced based on squad scores.

LordCanti

Anton Sugar said:
I think shuffling the teams would be a little annoying, as friends want to play with friends. Switching/shuffling squads, however, would be good. Friends would still be in the same squad but the teams could be balanced based on squad scores.

I'm hoping someone makes a plugin for procon that does exactly that. I'm at the developers mercy though.

Going through Procon, it's like an ugly Ferarri next to BF3CC's pretty Ford Pinto. So much more functionality (logging! Yes!) but it's ugly as sin. It has a plug-in system that anyone can write for, so it should have some sooner or later.

LordCanti

Menelaus said:
Playing on the GAF server is like stepping into the Thunderdome.

Do not come unprepared. There is no mercy.

People would live longer if they'd use their brains. I parked a tank in front of one of the side tunnels in Damavand Peak, and got like 30 kills. People just kept running down the tunnel...with a tank at the end of it. There was another perfectly good tunnel they could have used. Did they though? Nope. They kept trying the tunnel...with a tank at the end of it.

On a different note: Join messages are now implemented, as are timed messages giving out rule and mumble info. They're set to go off every four minutes or so. If you guys are sick of it by the end of the day, we'll increase that time.

Admin's: Assuming that the join messages and timed messages are still working later when the server is populated, enforce the rules as they are written. The time has come.

Edit: Rules are here for now. This is a very rough version. Better one incoming http://bf3gaf.blogspot.com/p/server-rules.html

commish

LordCanti said:
People would live longer if they'd use their brains. I parked a tank in front of one of the side tunnels in Damavand Peak, and got like 30 kills. People just kept running down the tunnel...with a tank at the end of it. There was another perfectly good tunnel they could have used. Did they though? Nope. They kept trying the tunnel...with a tank at the end of it.

On a different note: Join messages are now implemented, as are timed messages giving out rule and mumble info. They're set to go off every four minutes or so. If you guys are sick of it by the end of the day, we'll increase that time.

Admin's: Assuming that the join messages and timed messages are still working later when the server is populated, enforce the rules as they are written. The time has come.

I did the same thing on the map with the market but with a transport vehicle. My squadmate parked us right outside a doorway and the enemy just coming out. After seeing their teammates get mowed down. Time and again.

LordCanti

Just checked Clanforge. Our up time...is over 24 hours at this point. No crashes in an entire day....

IHHJH.gif

flippeh

One thing I'd like to see squad leaders do is more marking the next objective. Especially useful for randoms that aren't on voice comms.

Spl1nter

flippeh said:
One thing I'd like to see squad leaders do is more marking the next objective. Especially useful for randoms that aren't on voice comms.

I do that all the time. However, I heavily favour playing with people on mumble in my squad. If you aint on mumble expect to get kicked from squad sooner or later.

dLMN8R

1stStrike said:
Oh cool. Guess it's time to add in rotation for the server I manage too...

LordCanti said:
Just checked Clanforge. Our up time...is over 24 hours at this point. No crashes in an entire day....

IHHJH.gif
i know right. and I've been all up in the CC last night moving people around and warning and all that jazz.

I say give multiplay another week to see how things go.

DICE sure are plowing through those server updates though.

scogoth

Foliorum Viridum said:
I was joking :p I know you're just a bit bitter because us Brits dominate the game.

Canada, we don't need guns to get our freedom from you guys.

Spl1nter said:
Canada is #1. We got the best scope in the game, the M145. Fuck that irnv shit.

You forget to mention we also created the LAV.

CELBRATE 1 DAY WITHOUT CRASHES WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

commish

scogoth said:
No and they won't be for a while. Its a DICE thing.

If you want in and its full, find an admin on mumble and ask them to kick a random.

Noooooo, don't kick randoms, especially when you don't really know who is a random and who is from GAF (but doesn't have the GAF tag, like I didn't for a while). Plus, it's just mean :)

If you want in, just go old school with it - refresh server list, join when a spot opens. It's never taken me more than 5 minutes to join the GAF server, even when it's full. People leave all the time.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
commish said:
Noooooo, don't kick randoms, especially when you don't really know who is a random and who is from GAF (but doesn't have the GAF tag, like I didn't for a while). Plus, it's just mean :)

If you want in, just go old school with it - refresh server list, join when a spot opens. It's never taken me more than 5 minutes to join the GAF server, even when it's full. People leave all the time.

I just use the auto join plugin for chrome. It's never really a problem on the GAF server though since it's rarely ever full.

scogoth

commish said:

Too bad, put a GAF tag in. The people who are donating money to keep the server running deserve to play on it.

Pennybags said:
A couple of us just joined a server with 600+ tickets...

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Does anyone else know how it feels to hit a jet with a tank shell and then watch it crash and burn? I finally did it after many years of trying since BF2.

It was glorious.

Kyaw

Pennybags said:
And it was Seine Crossing on hardcore. The horror.

I team killed like twice and they raged. ><

NEVER AGAIN.

We need to organise game nights with proper teams, squads and designated pilots/tanks...

I hate playing with randoms.

Top Bottom