• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Community Meetup

achapel

THE SCHEDULED WEEKEND-BF3-PCGAF SERVER PLAYTIME WILL BEGIN NOW.

COME JOIN, BRING FRIENDS, GET IN HERE SOLDIERS!

NeoGAF Community Server

We have 2 servers to fill up tonight boys, we can blitz them and fill them up quick if we seed them correctly to activate quickjoin (activates once a server meets criteria /a nd if over 50% full) so with 32 of us in the first server quickjoin will activate and we can start to let it ride! LETS DO THIS!

EKlh9.png

Don't be a little bitch, Join us in mumble for high-quality low-latency voice chat! NeoGAF Community Mumble Server IP: 64.34.202.140:6037

Mumble has been used for much of PC GAF's online communication. Please visit this thread for information on downloading and configuring Mumble.

I won't be around to help tonight. UFC to watch. Though I setup my server with 300% tickets and only large maps (Canals being the only medium sized one). I need to setup procon again for you guys.

I won't be around to help tonight. UFC to watch. Though I setup my server with 300% tickets and only large maps (Canals being the only medium sized one). I need to setup procon again for you guys.
well ive seeded the main server to past half of 64 so we're getttng quickjoins, only problem is people arent sticking out long enouigh for it to fill up... :(

We've only got 4 days left on the Multiplay account before we have to decide to renew/leave them for EOReality and we only really need one more night of full server testing to help make that decision clear....

I tried joining the server and it crashed instantly when I was done loading. Couldn't handle me.

Now I am alone with one guy. :(

O_O The server crashed much sooner than i expected, i was still online by then but was out of mumble, wow... This pretty much means its going ot be unanimous to try out EOReality for a month.

All we need is chapel to get on mumble with Anton and Lord Canti and we can plan everything out.

Multiplay always has a better ping for me in UK and feels better. Not sure if we could go with the other host and get it to same location to improve performance there? It's about a 30 difference, according to Battlelog.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Patch Notes said:
• Removed FIND ME A SQUAD option
• Allow players to join empty Squads alone, thus having 1/4 squad members
• Change order of options to LEAVE SQUAD, INV A FRIEND, SWITCH TEAM
• Disable Privacy flag when 1 man squad
• Reset Privacy flag from Private to Public when squad drops to 1 player
• All occupied Squads will now show up colored blue on the Squad Selection screen
• Players who choose not to join squads will also show up as Blue in the "Not in a Squad” line
• Squads that are currently empty will display as white -- if you wish to join an empty Squad, you can choose the first one marked with white text

Baby-worship-lawd.gif

Just realized talk of the patch is already going on in OT.

Okay, some fairly significant changes with the recent R9 client.

Biggest one is that we now have the ability to make a server unranked, which gives us all unlocks/lets us set specific weapon options. Hopefully we still have enough active players to give this a shot.

They've also made some changes to Quickmatch and ranked servers. From the R9 server admin docs, they've removed the server setting requirements for Quickmatch, as a server is now Quickmatch-eligible simply based on if it's ranked or not.

However, they have made some changed to what constitutes a Ranked server. A ranked server cannot be password protected, starting player count must be 4 or higher, restart player count must be 2 or higher, and player health must be a range from 60-100%. Since the killcam option is set to "Always Allowed" for ranked and unranked, I think we can switch the killcam off again and our server is still considered ranked, which means we can be used with Quickmatch? Anyone wanna read over the new notes and confirm?

I have a half day tomorrow, and then I'm free for the rest of the week. LET'S DO THIS.

achapel

Okay, some fairly significant changes with the recent R9 client.

Biggest one is that we now have the ability to make a server unranked, which gives us all unlocks/lets us set specific weapon options. Hopefully we still have enough active players to give this a shot.

They've also made some changes to Quickmatch and ranked servers. From the R9 server admin docs, they've removed the server setting requirements for Quickmatch, as a server is now Quickmatch-eligible simply based on if it's ranked or not.

However, they have made some changed to what constitutes a Ranked server. A ranked server cannot be password protected, starting player count must be 4 or higher, restart player count must be 2 or higher, and player health must be a range from 60-100%. Since the killcam option is set to "Always Allowed" for ranked and unranked, I think we can switch the killcam off again and our server is still considered ranked, which means we can be used with Quickmatch? Anyone wanna read over the new notes and confirm?

I have a half day tomorrow, and then I'm free for the rest of the week. LET'S DO THIS.

Looks like it. Went through the changes doc and that looks like the case. There is some contempt in the community about forcing 4 player start and not allowing idle time change for ranked servers. Honestly I just want to see if R9 fixes the crashes. I would like to load up the server to 64 and see how long it will last sometime this week.

As far as what server provider we pick, I really don't mind if we stick to multiplay, I do like eoreality's customer service much better. Price wise, it's cheaper at eoreality, so take that into account. If we did switch, I think it would be best if Anton handled it and got a new server. Mainly because it would be a hassle to have to have him send me money to pay for it, or switch things over. Not only that, if we go eoreality, we can get a big discount on long term plans. No matter, my server is up until the 5th of december, and I might renew it if I feel like it.

So apparently if you've been having issues with R9 here is what Multiplay has to say about it:

Battlefield 3 - R9 Introduces New Issues
Nov 22 2011 17:59:30 by Wahrheit
It has come to our attention that the most recent server build (R9) for Battlefield 3 has introduced a slough of new problems. On the list:

• Servers have been dropping with the same apparent crash (and new ones) more frequently.
  • Servers have been dropped from Battlelog within 5 minutes of going online.
  • Unranked servers are not properly functioning.
  • PunkBuster updates appear to be unrelated and we have updated manually just in case.
Thankfully the rubberbanding does not appear to be present, but all of these issues you're seeing are 100% code-based and happening for all RSPs of Battlefield 3. We are continuing to forward crash logs to DICE and hope they will alleviate these problems quickly but are unfortunately unable to give an ETA on any fixes at this time.
We thank you for your continued patience as we work with DICE to get everyone a better BF3 experience and apologize for any inconveniences these may cause. Please note that support does unfortunately not wield any magic fix-it buttons (we wish we did!) and all we can do is advise you to restart in the cases of crashing and servers dropping off. These are DICE issues happening worldwide regardless of machine or provider.

achapel

With the changes in R9 have you got BF3CC working correctly with the Multiplay server? It keeps disconnecting after the initial connection on my server. I think it is due to the change in commands available. Though I don't know for sure.

Well no matter, I will try and be around this evening to play if anyone is up for it.

With the changes in R9 have you got BF3CC working correctly with the Multiplay server? It keeps disconnecting after the initial connection on my server. I think it is due to the change in commands available. Though I don't know for sure.

Well no matter, I will try and be around this evening to play if anyone is up for it.

I'm also getting disconnected. check the BF3CC forums?

achapel

I setup a plugin for procon on my server that auto adjusts max players based on the amount of players on the server, it will start the round at max 64 (or whatever you set) and increase it as more people join. So as long as we have people to do the initial 4 person seed, it should take care of the rest. :)

edit: Getting some attrocious pings from the multiplay server. 120-150ms, not sure if a spike or what.

LordCanti

I setup a plugin for procon on my server that auto adjusts max players based on the amount of players on the server, it will start the round at max 64 (or whatever you set) and increase it as more people join. So as long as we have people to do the initial 4 person seed, it should take care of the rest. :)

edit: Getting some attrocious pings from the multiplay server. 120-150ms, not sure if a spike or what.

I've never seen a ping more than 60 on the multiplay server. Probably because I'm fairly close though.

It seems as if we're likely to go for EOreality. I'm not sure when our month is up with multiplay, but it can't be very long now.

Anyone up to play tonight? I should be along at 10 central or so.

So apparently if you've been having issues with R9 here is what Multiplay has to say about it:

Battlefield 3 - R9 Introduces New Issues
Nov 22 2011 17:59:30 by Wahrheit
It has come to our attention that the most recent server build (R9) for Battlefield 3 has introduced a slough of new problems. On the list:

• Servers have been dropping with the same apparent crash (and new ones) more frequently.
  • Servers have been dropped from Battlelog within 5 minutes of going online.
  • Unranked servers are not properly functioning.
  • PunkBuster updates appear to be unrelated and we have updated manually just in case.
Thankfully the rubberbanding does not appear to be present, but all of these issues you're seeing are 100% code-based and happening for all RSPs of Battlefield 3. We are continuing to forward crash logs to DICE and hope they will alleviate these problems quickly but are unfortunately unable to give an ETA on any fixes at this time.
We thank you for your continued patience as we work with DICE to get everyone a better BF3 experience and apologize for any inconveniences these may cause. Please note that support does unfortunately not wield any magic fix-it buttons (we wish we did!) and all we can do is advise you to restart in the cases of crashing and servers dropping off. These are DICE issues happening worldwide regardless of machine or provider.

Honestly, if EOreality is cheaper, I see no reason to stay with multiplay. It may very well be a DICE problem, but other servers weren't crashing anywhere near as often as ours was. It wasn't even close. They can blame it on DICE all they want, lol.

That's what I'm saying, I'm all for moving onto EOReality from Multiplay. Clanforge says we have 2 days left on Multiplay's Contract it seems.

Someone get Anton and Canti in mumble so they can talk to chapel and get info about EOReality so Anton can set up an server for the right about of time and such.

lol Post #3333

Goddammit, everyone is playing and I can't manage to stay online since the new patch. Of-fucking-course.

I'll be playing a ton the next few days, so I'm sure I'll meet up with you guys later.

LordCanti

Good games tonight guys. It's a shame that everyone is a milk drinker person with a job that needs to hit the sack early, but we got in a few good games.

Goddammit, everyone is playing and I can't manage to stay online since the new patch. Of-fucking-course.

I'll be playing a ton the next few days, so I'm sure I'll meet up with you guys later.

That's odd. Hope you don't need to re-install.

So in the next day, I'm going to cancel our Multiplay server/renewal and talk with Chapel about any last minute questions/concerns with EOR, and get our new server up shortly thereafter.

I do feel bad, because EOR seems to have worse ping for EU GAF. Where is the current EOR server located--Chicago? They have New York locations, as well.

scogoth

So in the next day, I'm going to cancel our Multiplay server/renewal and talk with Chapel about any last minute questions/concerns with EOR, and get our new server up shortly thereafter.

I do feel bad, because EOR seems to have worse ping for EU GAF. Where is the current EOR server located--Chicago? They have New York locations, as well.

No New York servers, all NY servers seem to be terrible. Yeah I think its in Chicago and doesn't EU GAF have their own server?

achapel

They have Dallas servers as well. Not entirely sure how they compare, but people say they are good based on previous comments about Eoreality.

The only major lacking for Eoreality I have seen is Tcadmin (their control panel) which is very basic. It does what it needs to, but doesn't show information that you might want that I guess Clanforge actually shows. Other than that though, you have access to the files you need, and even can see the screenshots punkbuster makes (have to install that addon).

Yeah, you're one of the ones I had in mind, especially since you donated multiple times based on Multiplay's performance (I believe).

Yeah, $30. So you guys better accommodate me!

Nah. I mean, it's not a huge difference, but I personally think it is noticeable. Multiplay was definitely not as smooth as EU servers, but it was extremely playable. The other host definitely feels more sluggish at times and is close to the mark where it impacts my enjoyment of the game.

I'll play with that type of performance, but if we could get a location similar to the Multiplay one I think it would be good for the few EUers that like to play on the server!

Also, my uni week ends early this week, so I think I'll have a few late nights with you fellows to put some time into it after getting so addicted to Dark Souls/Zelda!

I'll just propose this regarding server location:

-we should primarily think about our possible effect on traffic to the West Coast = CALI, and all that. Since players from that time zone will be looking for games around the time all the East Coast people might start going to bed.
-So which location is better for west coast peeps, Chicago or Dallas?

But if we're looking to meld our EU bros, then an Atlanta server or something might be good since the NY servers are supposedly lag infested?

I'll just propose this regarding server location:

-we should primarily think about our possible effect on traffic to the West Coast = CALI, and all that. Since players from that time zone will be looking for games around the time all the East Coast people might start going to bed.
-So which location is better for west coast peeps, Chicago or Dallas?

But if we're looking to meld our EU bros, then an Atlanta server or something might be good since the NY servers are supposedly lag infested?

Well, the Chicago EOReality is noticeably better than the Multiplay server over here in Vancouver, BC. I'm not sure how different Dallas is from Chicago, don't recall playing any Dallas servers.

scogoth

Ugh, can't stay connected to the GAF server for more than a minute, IF I even get in. This patch fucked me up at the worst goddamned time.

Re install the game and when that fails reinstall the OS and when that fails rebuild your computer and when that fails......give up.

Any error message when it crashes?

Top Bottom