• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Community Meetup

scogoth

1stStrike said:
You guys all suck donkey balls. I still have 2 more hours of work and everyone will be quitting by then -__-
Yes, thats true.

But imagine how I feel at 10am and no ones on either.

LordCanti

It's not even midnight and no one is on the server. Well, I say no one, but what I mean is that 64 randoms are on the GAF server
Maybe a few GAF, but ones that somehow didn't get on my nearly 100 person friend list

Son, I am disappoint.

Also a bit relieved. I'm tired as hell, but I probably would have got sucked into at least a couple hours of BF3.

Spl1nter

the deuce (eoreality) server crashed at 1:25 am EST. It was going strong since ~7 and was full with 64 players since ~9:30. Not bad, but really shitty having a full 64 player server crash.

Ferga

scogoth said:
Yes, thats true.

But imagine how I feel at 10am and no ones on either.

I'm in aus and it's almost impossible for me to catch a semi to full gaf server :(

Everyone be sleeping when i play

Nekrono said:
GAF's server(s) empty on a weeked? What is this!?

Played for 6-7 hours Friday, but had to volunteer all day yesterday and ran errands today. Might be up for some a bit later tonight, working on this video now.

1stStrike

Banned
Sorry guys, but I'm working for another hour and a half. You guys can't play without me, thus the servers shall REMAIN EMPTY *crosses arms*

scogoth

1stStrike said:
Sorry guys, but I'm working for another hour and a half. You guys can't play without me, thus the servers shall REMAIN EMPTY *crosses arms*
Too late, we came, we conquered we left.

LordCanti

Got'Damn, it's not even midnight and everyone is gone from the server again. I vote that we re-name it "Battlefield 3 |OT| Be Advised, It's My Bedtime" or something similarly snarky and condescending.

lsslave said:
Every single time I check the GAF servers are empty :( GAFfers are online, I think we've just moved on from the GAF servers or something?

Honestly, I think people just don't close battlelog when they go to sleep. There are always a ton of people "online" but almost none of them in a game.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Every single time I check the GAF servers are empty :( GAFfers are online, I think we've just moved on from the GAF servers or something?

Liking a lot of this footage we got the other night. Lots of good things shown:

-CITV/guided shell
-Javelin/SOFLAM usage
-MAV for team assistance
-Lots of team coordination

You also get to see lots of Javelin and Javelin + SOFLAM bugs as well, and a good number of "killed behind cover" deaths.

Most of all, the vids really show how an above average, but not great, player (myself) can consistently top the scoreboards (or be in the ACE squad) through working as a team and taking advantage of teamwork in a given situation.

You get a little of this in the first preview clip I posted, where I take the Forest CP all by "myself" thanks to Spl1nter's MAV and my squad warning me of nearby enemies. Good stuff.

Nabs

A couple of Mumble related things:

Looks like there's a rough version of Mumble for Dx11. I don't recommend it for new users, not until it's tested more.

There's also a BF3 plugin somewhere (positional audio). I know I'm one of maybe 3 people who liked using it in BC2, but I thought I'd mention that. I guess once it's tested more it'll get pushed out to the rest of us?

And somewhat unrelated, but Project Reality just updated their Mumble client, and it's pretty cool.

Tokubetsu

Nabs said:
A couple of Mumble related things:

Looks like there's a rough version of Mumble for Dx11. I don't recommend it for new users, not until it's tested more.

There's also a BF3 plugin somewhere (positional audio). I know I'm one of maybe 3 people who liked using it in BC2, but I thought I'd mention that. I guess once it's tested more it'll get pushed out to the rest of us?

And somewhat unrelated, but Project Reality just updated their Mumble client, and it's pretty cool.

You're already hard as hell to hear most of the time, couple it with positional audio and you kinda disappear in the explosions. Speak up Nabs.

Nabs

Fix your sound. Positional Audio never worked for you anyway, so whatevs. It's clutch when Cuban is on the losing side.

Tokubetsu

Nabs said:
Fix your sound. Positional Audio never worked for you anyway, so whatevs. It's clutch when Cuban is on the losing side.

It worked for me man, I just can't hear you. You got a low pretty voice Nabs. Not my fault.

Tokubetsu

Varna said:
Server should be set to hardcore mode... it makes the whole game so much better.

Set it to hardcore and I guarantee you no one will ever join it. Saw it happen on launch week with another forum server.

Varna

Tokubetsu said:
Set it to hardcore and I guarantee you no one will ever join it. Saw it happen on launch week with another forum server.

Not like anyone is playing now.

Don't really understand the issue. Friendly fire really changes the game for the better.

1stStrike

Banned
Anton Sugar said:
Liking a lot of this footage we got the other night. Lots of good things shown:

-CITV/guided shell
-Javelin/SOFLAM usage
-MAV for team assistance
-Lots of team coordination

You also get to see lots of Javelin and Javelin + SOFLAM bugs as well, and a good number of "killed behind cover" deaths.

Most of all, the vids really show how an above average, but not great, player (myself) can consistently top the scoreboards (or be in the ACE squad) through working as a team and taking advantage of teamwork in a given situation.

You get a little of this in the first preview clip I posted, where I take the Forest CP all by "myself" thanks to Spl1nter's MAV and my squad warning me of nearby enemies. Good stuff.

*looks at his watch*

*taps foot impatiently*

Pennybags

So, how about that population of active GAF players?

Saints Row, easily obtained Tribes beta codes, and AssCreed are definitely going to do some damage to top off the Skyrim/MW3 massacre.

Tokubetsu

Pennybags said:

Saints Row, easily obtained Tribes beta codes, and AssCreed are definitely going to do some damage to top off the Skyrim/MW3 massacre.

Yea, it's a bit of a wasteland right now.

Pennybags said:

Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary is owning my soul at the moment.

So good.

Soooooooooooooo goooooooooooood.

64 players is always going to be a challenge in any game.

It's a bit of a pain that we have to "seed" the server, but it usually works. I think weekdays are going to be quite quiet now that the launch hype is over, though.

1stStrike said:
*looks at his watch*

*taps foot impatiently*

lol.gif

I actually finished editing out the "crap" yesterday and I think I'm going to make a few shorter (5-10 min) videos per map, showing us working as a team, etc. Got them separated out into the individual maps, just got export and upload, which I'll do tonight.

abuC said:
What program do you use to record? I have Fraps, but that 3.95gb limit sucks.

Yeah, it's a pain to work with but it's all I have.

gatisimo

I die a little every time I bring up the server and see that it's empty. While I never got to chat with you guys (broken mic on my headset), I enjoyed learning from watching and listening to real team play.

gatisimo said:
I die a little every time I bring up the server and see that it's empty. While I never got to chat with you guys (broken mic on my headset), I enjoyed learning from watching and listening to real team play.

I'll be down for an hour or two of playing tonight, if anyone wants to join.

The problem is that this holiday season is PACKED with good releases. BF3, MW3, Skyrim, Saint's Row 3, UC3, Skyward Sword, etc. Combined with the fact that playing in pubs just isn't as fun as playing with friends (which requires coordination), it's generally harder to get everyone together.

No need to despair.

1stStrike

Banned
gatisimo said:

I, admittedly, haven't played in 3 days - and assassin's creed will be here tomorrow D:

The reason, though, is that I've just been massively busy with my book release. I get off work, and then just work on THAT for another 5 or 6 hours. It's exhausting, but fun.

LordCanti

I didn't get into a game with everyone all weekend. By the time I rolled in pre-midnight central, everyone was already asleep lol.

I'm down for tonight around 10pm central. Hopefully everyone isn't asleep by then.

Skyrim has also been draining my time. This is a hell of a year for RPG's between Skyrim and Dark Souls

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
lsslave said:

Yeah, nowadays I mostly play on other servers. Not because I don't have love for the GAF server, but because it's empty! I still play most every night except the weekends.

LordCanti

Pennybags said:
We need to do some good ol' fashioned weekend scheduling.

That would make too much sense.

(Maybe Anton can throw up one of those google polls, asking what time would be good for everyone?)

Really need to play this some more but other games are taking all my time. Think I'll just wait for Back to Karkand before getting back into it.

Top Bottom