• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Community Meetup

LordCanti

Actual knife kills, or just "bad luck" kills with the knife out, or just kills where the game thought he was using the knife when in fact he was using something else? The second would be admin abuse and the third would be the game bugging.

It was a knife kill for sure. He wasn't an admin either.

JoeMartin

My line of reasoning is I don't use the IRNV, I use the mini-map and can tell where people are before I'm even in line of fire. I kill them because I know where they are before they see me and since my scope comes up quicker than them they die. And for campers I always play in a squad so even if I'm blind sided and die, my squad kills him and I get revived. Your right it is a crutch and breeds bad players; means more kills for me. It's not over powered or necessary, as I said just play better than them.

In an ideal world where everyone were always on the minimap/spotted, sure.

The game doesn't function in a perpetual ideal frame.

LordCanti

In an ideal world where everyone were always on the minimap/spotted, sure.

The game doesn't function in a perpetual ideal frame.

It kind of does if you only play with a full squad of people you can talk to on mumble. Maybe the rest of the team is terrible, but at least your squad will do well, assuming that everyone in it is doing their part.

I only use IRNV on maps with low light. I don't see the necessity of using it in broad daylight, when I can just spot enemies with my own eyes.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
My line of reasoning is I don't use the IRNV, I use the mini-map and can tell where people are before I'm even in line of fire. I kill them because I know where they are before they see me and since my scope comes up quicker than them they die. And for campers I always play in a squad so even if I'm blind sided and die, my squad kills him and I get revived. Your right it is a crutch and breeds bad players; means more kills for me. It's not over powered or necessary, as I said just play better than them.

Life is easier with the IRNV. Sure, you can play without it, and do well, but that doesn't mean the IRNV doesn't give an advantage.

derFeef

I never said same capabilities. I said play better than the other guy. Also, why are you lying in bushes instead of completing objectives? Maybe thats why you get killed all the time by IRNV.

lol. I think you are not getting what I am trying to say. Yeah sure a better palyer will outplay a bad player, but that has nothing to do with the IRNV problems I have.

I love it when people seem to know the way I play just because I am having some issues with an unlock that seems unbalanced. "yo, play better, yo!"

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Maybe it's just me (again) but I have a sneaking suspicion that lag is causing my gun to fire ever so slightly slower than the enemy. 90% of my deaths are coming from when I have opened fire on the enemy, then they open fire, I die, and it says they have 60-70% health. It's really pissing me off.

scogoth

Life is easier with the IRNV. Sure, you can play without it, and do well, but that doesn't mean the IRNV doesn't give an advantage.
It does give you advantage, just like every other attachment, but it also gives disadvantages mainly low FOV and long scope time. Its not imbalanced.

lol. I think you are not getting what I am trying to say. Yeah sure a better palyer will outplay a bad player, but that has nothing to do with the IRNV problems I have.

I love it when people seem to know the way I play just because I am having some issues with an unlock that seems unbalanced. "yo, play better, yo!"

Now you finally get it.

scogoth

Anybody using the new beta patch (290.36) ?

Haven't been able to test it, been too busy with finals coming up.

The only thing that seems BF3 related is "Fixes some random instances of triangular artifacts when playing Battlefield 3." Probably not going to change your BF3 experience at all.

commish

It does give you advantage, just like every other attachment, but it also gives disadvantages mainly low FOV and long scope time. Its not imbalanced.

Now you finally get it.

Right, but the advantages greatly outweigh the disadvantages, so much so that it provides the user a distinct advantage over those who don't use it in most situations. Even if the scope time is a bit slower, if you are THISCLOSE, we are going to hip fire anyway, and if you are at a distance, chances are that I'll see you before you see me, negating any advantage you might normally have. That's the thing - when you can see everyone clearly, its disadvantages are almost completely negated most of the time.

scogoth

Right, but the advantages greatly outweigh the disadvantages, so much so that it provides the user a distinct advantage over those who don't use it in most situations. Even if the scope time is a bit slower, if you are THISCLOSE, we are going to hip fire anyway, and if you are at a distance, chances are that I'll see you before you see me, negating any advantage you might normally have. That's the thing - when you can see everyone clearly, its disadvantages are almost completely negated most of the time.

No I never feel at a disadvantage by not using the IRNV. Now the M145 that's an imbalanced scope.

commish

No I never feel at a disadvantage by not using the IRNV. Now the M145 that's an imbalanced scope.

I don't feel at a disadvantage when I use the holo or RDS either, but I do feel like I am at an advantage when I use the IRNV.

DTKT

It's not that the IRNV is bad by itself. It's how the game deals with foliage/light and dark areas. The IRNV basically nullify cover. It prevents any kind of stealth.

scogoth

I find the M145 very difficult to use with any high recoil weapon--magnification feels just past that level where recoil makes it difficult.

But its Canadian, so its instantly superior. Which high recoil weapons are you referring to? (AN-94 doesn't count, that gun is shit) It's better than 4x and your only other option are the 1x scopes and red dots.

Norua

Banned
Well like I told you I never play on NA servers with less than 85 ping, usually 110. But I never lag so I guess I'm just getting used to have high ping.
Also, wine bread and cheese.

LordCanti

I should probably explain the current server status, since people are asking.

Current server status:

For our first month, we went with a hosting company by the name of Multiplay (one of the biggest). From the start, the server was buggy, crashy, etc. It seemed to be a problem with DICE's server code, but where other servers were crashing once or twice, we were going down multiple times a night. This absolutely wrecked multiple weekends on the server (it was full, and then empty after the crash, and it never recovered, essentially ruining the night). Maybe it wasn't Multiplay's fault, but they weren't very responsive in dealing with the problem.

For the past couple of weeks, we've been testing a server hosted by EOreality, and paid for by Chapel (thanks BTW). It's been much more stable, and as such, we're dumping Multiplay in favor of EOreality. The new server should be up and running as soon as Anton can work out the particulars (how long to pay in advance for a discount, how many slots on the free mumble server they provide, etc). Until then, Chapel's server is still up and running.

Hopefully this clears things up. Month one wasn't exactly a banner month for DICE or for BF3, but things are looking better now that the server code has gotten less buggy. Don't get me wrong, there are still a ton of bugs (causing crashes, unable to connect to EA problems, disconnections, etc) but it's getting better.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Good to hear. The constant server crashes were a huge buzz kill and more often than not would ruin the entire night.

I'm assuming we're getting reserved slots and some other tools once DICE releases them correct?

LordCanti

No, unfortunately. You can add people, but as far as I know it doesn't work.

That's my understanding of the current situation as well. Honestly, I have no idea why no one has written a plug-in for Procon that can check the in-game player list against the GUID or player name of someone coming in, and then kick someone that isn't on the list to make room for the player trying to get in. Is it because the server doesn't get any information about the player until they actually join, if that makes sense?

Looking through the newer procon plugins, I think this one would be good to implement: http://www.phogue.net/forumvb/showthread.php?2707-Chat-Filter-BF3-V1.0.0.1-BF3

Instead of having to warn people to constantly not be assholes, we can just filter out racists before it ever makes it to the chat box.

scogoth

That's my understanding of the current situation as well. Honestly, I have no idea why no one has written a plug-in for Procon that can check the in-game player list against the GUID or player name of someone coming in, and then kick someone that isn't on the list to make room for the player trying to get in. Is it because the server doesn't get any information about the player until they actually join, if that makes sense?

Looking through the newer procon plugins, I think this one would be good to implement: http://www.phogue.net/forumvb/showthread.php?2707-Chat-Filter-BF3-V1.0.0.1-BF3

Instead of having to warn people to constantly not be assholes, we can just filter out racists before it ever makes it to the chat box.

You take the fun out of admining.

But yeah reserve slots would be nice >_>

achapel

Well the join requests never make it to the server, battlelog keeps people from joining. So there would be no way Procon or any tool could help with that. The only thing that might work is if there were system in place outside of battlelog where a user could request a space manually (possibly with credentials) and it would tell a tool to kick a user to make space. But that isn't guaranteed to work, not with queues and other things.

That chat plugin doesn't block or filter bad chat, it just responds to said chat with a kick and/or ban based on how you set it up.

1stStrike

Banned
Bah, I need to find time to play with you guys again. I've literally been so busy that by the time I'm not busy it's, well, 2 am and I just don't have the energy to play.

At the rate things are going, I'm not certain when I'll be able to find time for BF3 again. =\

Pennybags

Bah, I need to find time to play with you guys again. I've literally been so busy that by the time I'm not busy it's, well, 2 am and I just don't have the energy to play.

At the rate things are going, I'm not certain when I'll be able to find time for BF3 again. =\

Wake Island awaits...

You will return, when it is time.

achapel

Server wasn't down, just wasn't showing up on battlelog. Not sure why, but its happened to other server providers before.

I restarted it.

Varna

I remember people use to hack their CS texture files to get the same exact effect as the IRNV. It makes the environment completely worthless. Whatever fraction of a split second it takes to aim does not outweigh the huge advantage of being able to spot your target instantly in a game like this.

If it actually behaved light an infrared and you were effected by light sources it would be a lot different.

NEW NeoGAF Community Server is up!

Haven't done any sort of configuration to it yet, as my work day is starting, but we'll be updating it to GAF "standards" shortly. You can add it to your favorites now, however.

EDIT: Actually, removed Metro 64. That's a given.

I also think that, given the new requirements for Quickmatch (has to be a Ranked server), we can set the min start to 4, min restart to 2, and turn off the killcam.

EDIT EDIT: Also, we DO get a free Mumble server with this, but it is given upon request. Just put in a ticket for that, so should have the info shortly, then I'll get with Menelaus to update the graphic in the OP.

LordCanti

Alright, the current map rotation is (one round of each):

Grand Bazaar
Tehran Highway
Operation Firestorm
Damavand Peak
Noshahar Canals
Caspian Border
Seine Crossing
Kharg Island

Any changes that anyone would like to see? How was Chapel's 150% tickets working out for everyone?

Edit: apparently he was using 200% tickets.

Zareth

Grand Bazaar
Tehran Highway
Operation Firestorm
Damavand Peak
Noshahar Canals
Caspian Border
Seine Crossing
Kharg Island

Any changes that anyone would like to see? How was Chapel's 150% tickets working out for everyone?

More Rounds of Caspian, Seine, and Bazaar would never be a bad thing.

I might hop in tonight for a bit of a game :) The sheer number of games + uni work means I've haven't been able to play as much as I'd want, unfortunately. I don't think I'll start playing for hours on end until after Christmas, at least. Karkland will pull me back in, actually, but yeah.

Map rotation looks good. I always think higher ticket counts are better, but I don't feel too strongly on it either way.

scogoth

Grand Bazaar
Tehran Highway
Operation Firestorm
Damavand Peak
Noshahar Canals
Caspian Border
Seine Crossing
Kharg Island

Edit: apparently he was using 200% tickets.

200% was great for 64 players. It was the games before 64 players that it didn't work. 500 ticket 4v4 takes a long time =(.

Are we going to use the auto seed plugin that chapel used?

LordCanti

200% was great for 64 players. It was the games before 64 players that it didn't work. 500 ticket 4v4 takes a long time =(.

Are we going to use the auto seed plugin that chapel used?

I'm trying it out currently. With just me in the server, and 1/4 players, nothing is happening. There really isn't a config guide, so I'm pretty much winging it lol.

Top Bottom