• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

The correct opinion is that jets don't even belong in this game.

StrawDogs.gif

Lakitu

st5fu
The fly zones in Rogue Transmission and Dawnbreaker are ridiculously small. They may aswell have not put jets in those maps unless it's different on Conquest Large. If not, fix it DICE, please.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Nerf them until they're useless?

Seriously, it doesn't take much to get one other person to use an IGLA/Stinger. Or you could, you know, learn to jet better?

Last time I played BF3 you could have 64 players with stingers and it wouldn't bother the jet. Every time DICE tried to make things rougher for jets the jets ducked and the helicopters took it right on the chin.

Last time I played BF3 you could have 64 players with stingers and it wouldn't bother the jet. Every time DICE tried to make things rougher for jets the jets ducked and the helicopters took it right on the chin.

They can never get the jet balance right. Thankfully, jets really don't add much to the outcome of the battle - they just kinda fly around shooting each other. Maybe every once in a while they'll kill a tank.

To DICE's credit, towards the end of BF3 they pretty much perfected AA vs helicopters. Which is good, because choppers actually scare me.

antitrop

I hope im wrong, I just can't deal with one like 3 again.
I am going to keep an eye on the campaign videos to see if it hopefully picks up.

As I said, 3 was so bad that I stopped at the tank mission, lol.

It was almost as bad as MoH: W, like, it was on that level of bad. Honestly, BF4 doesn't have to try very hard to have a better campaign than 3, so I'm a bit optimistic.

I kind of liked the Fishing in Baku video.

Overdoziz

Banned
The main problem I had with jets in BF3 was that 90% of the time you're busy trying to take out enemy jets and you're essentially having your own little air battle completely removed from the rest of the game. In Rush where there is only one jet per side it's not that bad, but if there are two for each team you will destroy one jet and by the team the second one is down the first already spawned back in.

Also, third person should not be allowed in jets. It's just too easy to keep an eye on enemy jets while you're in a dogfight in third person. In first person it's a lot more tense and challenging while in third person you sometimes fly in circles around each other for very long times.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
it would be bad company

So... better then?

*sunglasses falling from the sky to this post* DEAL WITH IT.gif?

I agree with the sentiment that Jets add nothing to the game besides annoyance and minor fire support. If the entire team was on the ground it wouldn't radically alter the game outside of the "third dimension."

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The fact that they want to cater to infantry perpetual action packed crowd on the 'big maps' would be one thing if there was many of them, but they actually do it while seven map out of 10 are already 100% made for them, and I'm speaking of conquest there, they also have other game mods like squad deathmatch or rush also completly made to cater to them.

That's being a bit disingenuous. Look at BC1's Rush out of bounds/limits then 2's then 3's.

Even Rush has had limits placed on it to focus on infantry over vehicles. When the mode originally allowed flanking and huge open spaces for vehicles to help infantry push up.

Whoops, double post.

Nerf them until they're useless?

Did I imply I wanted to nerf the jets to oblivion somehow?

Seriously, it doesn't take much to get one other person to use an IGLA/Stinger. Or you could, you know, learn to jet better?

I know, and more often than not the jets either get out of range or use ECM and are left untouched.

Or you could, you know, learn to jet better?

What makes you think I'm not?

Either way, I was simply asking for whether or not there are any changes made to the jets.

mcfrank

LA Gaf- The places that break street date are starting to get this in if you are looking to get it before the weekend.

McLovin

I felt so cheated with BF3 this gen. Playing on the ps3 knowing how it was on pc was not easy. So I'll just wait for the ps4 version.

With that Flood zone reveal out, Dice has really stepped up their game with map creation, maps me extremely hyped for all the dlc maps.

Here's a mirror for those map previews that were nuked from youtube: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=31a_1382722288

All current-gen, Conquest Small footage except for Flood Zone, which is from that everyeye video, and Zavod 311, which is the TDM version of the map.

They all look pretty promising to me, with the exception of Operation Locker which I'm not really sold on. Reserving judgement til I get to play it of course, but it just makes me think of the shitfest that was Damavand CQ. :x

Already pulled for dmca, which seems silly on a site called "liveleak".

jaaz

Holy crap, just saw Jaks' Flood Zone video. That map looks amazing. The highway partly underwater is genius. May be my most played map...

Spl1nter

Everything I have heard about operation locker is positive. Great infantry only map, its supposed to have a lot of different paths and destruction.

Facism

So... better then?

*sunglasses falling from the sky to this post* DEAL WITH IT.gif?

I agree with the sentiment that Jets add nothing to the game besides annoyance and minor fire support. If the entire team was on the ground it wouldn't radically alter the game outside of the "third dimension."

mate i loved Bad Company 2.

elyetis

That's being a bit disingenuous. Look at BC1's Rush out of bounds/limits then 2's then 3's.

Even Rush has had limits placed on it to focus on infantry over vehicles. When the mode originally allowed flanking and huge open spaces for vehicles to help infantry push up.

Whoops, double post.
I can't judge BF3 rush since i never did any rush game on it except on metro alpha. And I might misunderstand but aren't we agreeing ? I do think rush is mostly intended for infantry, and dense fight on choke point; and it became even more true from bc1 to bc2 ( which is probably why bc1 had better/more open conquest maps ). Metro was just the next step.

My problem is that not only there already is game modes which focus on infantry/dense battle over choke point ( which is fine, diversity and all ), but also more than half of the conquest map are heavily done with that in mind... yet they still make it happen in the very few 'big map' in conquest too.
Between that and the licence loosing in 'scale' when it come to playable vehicule ( compared to bf1942 <3 ), I'm quite disapointed in the way things are handled ( I will avoid speaking about their position on modding, I would end up swearing far too much ).

So, I never played any of the previous Battlefield or Bad Company multiplayer. However I really got into the beta for BF4 on the PS3 and plan on picking it up next week - any advice/tips/tricks since most of you have been playing the previous titles for awhile?

antitrop

So, I never played any of the previous Battlefield or Bad Company multiplayer. However I really got into the beta for BF4 on the PS3 and plan on picking it up next week - any advice/tips/tricks since most of you have been playing the previous titles for awhile?

For the love of God, throw out health packs and ammo packs, when available.

Complete the objectives, don't just shoot people for points.

I'd like to throw my weight behind the people saying the game would be better without jets. Such a bad idea. BC2 was nearly perfect as far air vehicles are concerned.

Overdoziz

Banned
For the love of God, throw out health packs and ammo packs, when available.

Complete the objectives, don't just shoot people for points.
I usually like to throw out health and ammo packs straight away as I spawn unless I'm under fire. It's become a reflex almost.

mdsfx

I'm going to get so much hell for asking this:

Is there a way to use your health packs for yourself without throwing them on the ground and running over them?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I'm going to get so much hell for asking this:

Is there a way to use your health packs for yourself without throwing them on the ground and running over them?

you just need to stand near it iirc

but to answer your question, I do not think so.

During the beta it was so rare for a support player to have unlocked and use the full ammo crate that when one was thrown out, you'd see like ten people crowding around it like they were worshipping it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
A good jet player can provide excellent support for the team. Issue is jets seem to have the steepest learning curve of any vehicle, and so having a good jet player is a rarity. Most of the time they piss around the sky shooting at each other while everybody on the ground does the actual work.

On the other hand, even an average jet player can prove useful in pressuring helis. And since helis are a bit easier to work out and ruthless against infantry, that can be valuable.

HariKari

A good jet player can provide excellent support for the team. Issue is jets seem to have the steepest learning curve of any vehicle, and so having a good jet player is a rarity. Most of the time they piss around the sky shooting at each other while everybody on the ground does the actual work.

On the other hand, even an average jet player can prove useful in pressuring helis. And since helis are a bit easier to work out and ruthless against infantry, that can be valuable.

Jets had no meaningful way of impacting the ground game other than simply denying airspace to the other team. BF2 was much better in this regard. Now we've got JDAMs/dumb bombs again, it will be different. I got real good at switching from the pilot seat to the bomber seat and back again in BF2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom