• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fonz72

Well, I have a confession.

I exited BF4. Clicked options. Clicked delete instead of close app. FML. I dun goofed.

Almost 40GB gone in an instant.

Re-downloading now.

HelloMeow

My hope is that they get it to BF3 levels. Not that BF3's networking was that great. BF4 is just that bad.

I still play BF3 from time to time and the first couple of kills always remind me how bad BF4 is.

Grief.exe

He's got a point, pc versions of MP shooters are full of people with death rays for guns, while on consoles you never get that feeling. It's why I rate KZ3 as the best MP shooter experience of the last few years.

ADS systems are the problem there. Those are designed for making aiming easier for console players by essentially stopping movement.

People are already deadly accurate on PC, making it easier to aim is already a disservice.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
And so my investigation into Battlefield 4's framerate hits continues. This time: tree of doom.

effectszjfq5.jpg

And again, like the jet streams out the front of the hotel in Shanghai, the difference between Ultra and High is like 10+fps. While in the former it's hard to tell the difference, here it's a bit more obvious, and seems to have something to do with the way the volumetric (?) lighting handles transparency filtering. See the branches of the tree, particularly the stems, and the hanging light. The stems are fragmented, like they're not being fully, clearly rendered through the light beams. Meanwhile the hanging light, particularly at the top, looks to highlight unnaturally on the environment.

I do wonder if this is volumetric lighting specifically or not, because it's not the Lighting setting that makes the difference, but Effects.

I wish there was a thorough breakdown of what each setting does on a technical level.

You always have a pair of pet engineers repairing your helicopter, making it nigh invincible? Not sure what else I was meant to take away from that clip.

The point of the video isn't to highlight the helicopter's durability, but rather its inability to do anything combat-wise because of the constant loss of control and disruptions. I hoped that much would be obvious, considering I spend about as much time crashing into the ground and sides of buildings (due to being hit by missiles) as I do shooting at guys. Does it look like I'm able to accomplish anything at all in that video? Note how every time I even attempt to attack, I'm blown off course (skip to 50 seconds in for a perfect example). If I were in an attack chopper, I would've been dead within seconds. I chose the Little Bird because with guys repairing it, it's very difficult to take down (but at the same time, almost completely ineffective for reasons I've already mentioned). It goes to show not only how ridiculous the amount of lock-on weaponry is, but also the range of the weaponry and the almost complete lack of cover for aircraft. It's a turkey shoot for the guys down below. Helicopters have never felt so useless in a Battlefield game.

Am I the only one getting random battle reports on battlelog when I haven't even been playing?

The reports show that I've been playing on servers doing nothing. All stats at zero.

The latest report is from the future:

Operation Locker
Rush
in 5 minutes

I seem to be getting the ribbons if my team wins. which explains why I'm somehow gaining xp out of nowhere.

This game man...

Yeah it really doesn't matter much about the state of helicopters when almost every server has instant respawn vehicles and engineers repairing the crap out of it anyway.

todd360

Well, I have a confession.

I exited BF4. Clicked options. Clicked delete instead of close app. FML. I dun goofed.

Almost 40GB gone in an instant.

Re-downloading now.

I did that with resogun I think. I went to play it and it was just gone. I was just like wtf?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Am I the only one getting random battle reports on battlelog when I haven't even been playing?

The reports show that I've been playing on servers doing nothing. All stats at zero.

The latest report is from the future:

Operation Locker
Rush
in 5 minutes

I seem to be getting the ribbons if my team wins. which explains why I'm somehow gaining xp out of nowhere.

This game man...
Good guy EA

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
The point of the video isn't to highlight the helicopter's durability, but rather its inability to do anything combat-wise because of the constant loss of control and disruptions. I hoped that much would be obvious, considering I spend about as much time crashing into the ground and sides of buildings (due to being hit by missiles) as I do shooting at guys. Does it look like I'm able to accomplish anything at all in that video? Note how every time I even attempt to attack, I'm blown off course (skip to 50 seconds in for a perfect example). If I were in an attack chopper, I would've been dead within seconds. I chose the Little Bird because with guys repairing it, it's very difficult to take down (but at the same time, almost completely ineffective for reasons I've already mentioned). It goes to show not only how ridiculous the amount of lock-on weaponry is, but also the range of the weaponry and the almost complete lack of cover for aircraft. It's a turkey shoot for the guys down below. Helicopters have never felt so useless in a Battlefield game.

I agree with you, completely. Helicopters are almost entirely worthless. I can understand the difficulty in balancing them; but there has to be a better solution. If you don't have a repair person, forget about it - you won't stay in the air for more than 30 seconds. And if you DO have a repair fellow - you better hope for two, and even then, you're going to bounce all over the place.

In my opinion, they should reduce the number of lock-on weapons, and increase the spawn time between vehicles. Here's what that does: You still have rockets coming at you left and right, and forces you to be a *good* pilot, weaving past enemy fire. On the flip side, once you have crashed, your team is without that heli for a few minutes, rather than a few seconds - making it so no team can get absolutely dominated by regular intervals of aircraft.

Mumford

It's a night and day difference between Battlefield 4 on the PS4 and Battlefield 3 on the PS3. I haven't had any frame rate issues in the handful of matches I've played on Battlefield 4, but then again, I haven't played all that much due to the server instabilities.

Thanks man! I'm torn between this and Killzone, but honestly, I think I'll go Battlefield because more of my friends will have it and dat 60 FPS/32-64 player MP. That seems to be more of a "next-gen" leap to me.

And so my investigation into Battlefield 4's framerate hits continues. This time: tree of doom.

effectszjfq5.jpg

And again, like the jet streams out the front of the hotel in Shanghai, the difference between Ultra and High is like 10+fps. While in the former it's hard to tell the difference, here it's a bit more obvious, and seems to have something to do with the way the volumetric (?) lighting handles transparency filtering. See the branches of the tree, particularly the stems, and the hanging light. The stems are fragmented, like they're not being fully, clearly rendered through the light beams. Meanwhile the hanging light, particularly at the top, looks to highlight unnaturally on the environment.

I do wonder if this is volumetric lighting specifically or not, because it's not the Lighting setting that makes the difference, but Effects.

I wish there was a thorough breakdown of what each setting does on a technical level.

So basically there seems to be no difference between high and ultra? Cause if thats the case I wouldnt mind toning down the settings even though I'm getting about 50-70 fps

RoKKeR

I can't wait to be able to take off from an aircraft carrier. We were never able to do that before.

(I'm not expecting anything more)

We could in BF3. I think they removed it due to enemy jets base raping other jets off the spawn, but I do miss taking off from carriers.

Hopefully they'll bring it back for this DLC.

Also, Titan Mode or fucking bust DICE.

Has anyone had worse performance in the past 2-4 hours? Yesterday I could play fine at 1080p (50 low, 70 average), but today im gettin like 55 average, 35 low.

Same processes on in the background, etc. Unless my video card died when I fell asleep with my computer on last night...I just don't get it. Did DICE give out another patch today (PC server side?)?

DTKT

Is there a way to completely disable the screen blur that comes on every few seconds. The .cfg file doesn't work.It's so distracting that I can't believe they added it two weeks after launch.

Just mind boggling.

I can't wait to be able to take off from an aircraft carrier. We were never able to do that before.

That was in Battlefield 1942. Then again, 1942 also let you drive the entire aircraft carrier (yes, I'm serious) as well as huge battleships (not these little "attack boats") and submarines. I really was hoping Battlefield 4's naval combat would at least come close to that. Maybe they'll introduce some cool stuff in Naval Strike.

Bombless

Is there a way to completely disable the screen blur that comes on every few seconds. The .cfg file doesn't work.It's so distracting that I can't believe they added it two weeks after launch.

Just mind boggling.

Make sure you don't have "Hide extensions of known file types" in your windows folder options. Check the properties on the cfg file, if it's called user.cgf.txt it's normal that it doesn't work.

Pryce

(I'm not expecting anything more)

We could in BF3.

I also remember Battlefield 1943 on Wake Island you had both carriers right across from each other so both teams would go straight on at the other carriers/planes. Jesus 1943 was incredible.

Fonz72

We could in BF3.

I also remember Battlefield 1943 on Wake Island you had both carriers right across from each other so both teams would go straight on at the other carriers/planes. Jesus 1943 was incredible.

A 1943 remake in the new engine would be a phenomenal expansion for BF4.

DTKT

I guess that my sarcasm was pretty bad. I'm terrible at this. I know we could take off from airfields and carrier, that's why I made that remark. :|

And yes, I do have a .cfg file with the correct text in my /Origin Games/Battlefield 4/ folder.

WorldRender.MotionBlurEnable 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurFixedShutterTime 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurForceOn 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurMax 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurMaxSampleCount 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurQuality 0

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's a bit of a shame they have to redo maps in Frostbite each outing/revision of the engine. If they could keep the destruction-choices and maybe tweak "yes/no we don't want to destroy that" on each map/interation of the series they'd have a huge HUGE backlog of maps to play on and blow people out of the water in rotations.

End of the Line, Deconstruction, Arica Harbor, Port Valadez, Oman, Sharqi, Firestorm, Flood Zone Rush rotation? Mmmmmm... yes...

Rebalancing for all the modes the add/remove each outing would be the major pain in the ass, but that's why you set them as "supported in <x> mode(s)" and call it day. Rush/Conquest having the largest pool with CTF/TDM/DOM following, then Obliteration.

I guess that my sarcasm was pretty bad. I'm terrible at this. I know we could take off from airfields and carrier, that's why I made that remark. :|

And yes, I do have a .cfg file with the correct text in my /Origin Games/Battlefield 4/ folder.

I did the same as you earlier today. Had the chromatic effect going like crazy so I was like, lets fix this.

Did the .cfg file thing, and astonishingly, the "fix" made it worse! I played about 10 minutes with the chromatic thing happening every 10-15 seconds (tied to explosions maybe?), and loss about 10-15 FPS. Done with BF4 for a while now.

What a pathetic launch of a title.

Rizific

Make sure you don't have "Hide extensions of known file types" in your windows folder options. Check the properties on the cfg file, if it's called user.cgf.txt it's normal that it doesn't work.

im having the same problem. its absolutely mind blowing that people who made this game said to themselves "yeah man, that effect that looks really fucking stupid, actually looks really good. lets patch it in" 0_0 WTF

DTKT

DICE never had issues with shitting up your screen with lens flares, UI, objective markers, blur, explosions and sun glare. But that effect is just sickening. I have to stop playing because it's giving me a headache.

Ugh, DICE is one of the worst developer when it comes to UI and screen clarity.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah, the fix didn't do too much for the "pulsing" of the Chromatic Aberation for me. Just made it to where it seems to only do it outside/environments, which is a little insane...

Obliteration is damn fun. The chaos that results when you have two teams struggling to control a single bomb with little to no communication is worth the price of admission alone haha.

Dazzler

Does anyone know why my new copy of Battlefield 4 for PS4 is in Spanish?

I just popped it into my PS4 for the first time and the language is stuck on Spanish with no option to change

Bought it in Canada FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom