• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey Jr.

Does anyone know why my new copy of Battlefield 4 for PS4 is in Spanish?

I just popped it into my PS4 for the first time and the language is stuck on Spanish with no option to change

Bought it in Canada FYI

Heh. Change your language to American English in the PS4 UI.

Happened to me too.

olimpia84

Single player is so god damn awful. Why is there explosive barrels every 10 feet? And the grenade spam. Plus it crashes every time I try to load my resume.

Just stop DICE. Staaahp. You're terrible at this.

It's a huge step up from BF3 though. imo that game had the worst SP campaign I've ever played.

The point of the video isn't to highlight the helicopter's durability, but rather its inability to do anything combat-wise because of the constant loss of control and disruptions. I hoped that much would be obvious, considering I spend about as much time crashing into the ground and sides of buildings (due to being hit by missiles) as I do shooting at guys. Does it look like I'm able to accomplish anything at all in that video? Note how every time I even attempt to attack, I'm blown off course (skip to 50 seconds in for a perfect example). If I were in an attack chopper, I would've been dead within seconds. I chose the Little Bird because with guys repairing it, it's very difficult to take down (but at the same time, almost completely ineffective for reasons I've already mentioned). It goes to show not only how ridiculous the amount of lock-on weaponry is, but also the range of the weaponry and the almost complete lack of cover for aircraft. It's a turkey shoot for the guys down below. Helicopters have never felt so useless in a Battlefield game.

Choppers have such a tenuous balance in these games. I'd say that the critical hit thing causing the pilot to lose controls is extremely annoying in the game. At the same time, the 25mm cannons rain down hell from the sky and it's devastating to infantry if it goes unchecked. Yesterday I fired all my stinger missiles at a little bird with an engineer and he healed though it. So, get another engineer to take it out as well right? Easier said than done in a pub server. Likewise, if you actually do have a couple of engineers with stingers and no engineer repairing the chopper, you will go down in seconds. One single player on either side of the equation can break the balance completely. I feel they should do something to force vehicles to engage in vehicular combat instead of going after infantry. Make the guns as useless as the boat miniguns but give more options to lock on to air and ground vehicles. That's fair game IMO.

On a side note, good to see you on GAF dude :)

Hanzou

On pc has anybody else notice decreased performance in the last week. Have not hot to play much this week until today and it feels like it's running slower. I had it running mostly on ultra at launch and than lowered it to high to Smith out the frame rate. Now it seems like it runs much worse than when it was in ultra settings.

Reckoner

On pc has anybody else notice decreased performance in the last week. Have not hot to play much this week until today and it feels like it's running slower. I had it running mostly on ultra at launch and than lowered it to high to Smith out the frame rate. Now it seems like it runs much worse than when it was in ultra settings.

I'm noticing the same thing. Was 50-60 and now it is even dropping to 34.

kudoboi

the chromatic abberation is so horrible on PC. i got headache just from playing a single match yesterday and the fix didnt fix it either. what's taking DICE so long to update the client side of the game? i wouldn't mind a patch every day as long as they get fixed

Tarin02543

the chromatic abberation is so horrible on PC. i got headache just from playing a single match yesterday and the fix didnt fix it either. what's taking DICE so long to update the client side of the game? i wouldn't mind a patch every day as long as they get fixed

I love it.

Obliteration is damn fun. The chaos that results when you have two teams struggling to control a single bomb with little to no communication is worth the price of admission alone haha.
It's awesome until you end up on a shit team vs. Good team. When you see your enemies using choppers and tanks to transport bombs but your team play the round like its TDM

doomquake

That section did look like shit. the other screenshot you posted didn't look right though, it's missing the Ambient occlusion.
xafPhXg.jpg

at least someone agrees. My finger keeps hovering over BUY 780 Ti but I've understood that this game is a pile of
shit
graphics wise.

Keasar

I can't wait to be able to take off from an aircraft carrier. We were never able to do that before.

(I'm not expecting anything more)

Back in the battles of 1942, we could not only take off from an aircraft carrier, we could drive the darn things too! Until some whippersnapper would take the ships and run them ashore on the islands!

And that's how we invaded Midway, ramming the blasted island with carriers!

Please let there be controllable ships. :<

Vitor711

xafPhXg.jpg

at least someone agrees. My finger keeps hovering over BUY 780 Ti but I've understood that this game is a pile of
shit
graphics wise.

Yeah, looking like THAT on a PC with max settings is bizarre. That section needed another pass before shipping (no pun intended).

I tried changing every setting on my rig to see if that changed anything but nope, not a thing.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

DICE said:
Update #13 (Nov 18)
PS4 STABILITY ISSUES
We are aware of the frequent crashes in Battlefield 4 on PlayStation 4. We are hard at work identifying these issues and are hoping to get a game update out early next week. Stay tuned for more details as we can confirm them, and thanks for your patience!
The Patch Approval process seems much much faster than on PS3. Good stuff.

Faith

What the actual fuck? In the last game there was someone invisible. You could just see his gunfire, but nothing else. It was impossible to kill him.

Bug or cheater?

Petrie

Banned
As someone who has basically never played Battlefield before and is jumping in with B4 on the PS4, I'm just looking for some basic advice. I can't seem to competently do much. I feel like I'm shooting people but having no luck, and it just seems like with these numbers someone is always behind me before I even have a chance. Just some basic advice so I can get a hang of the game rather than selling it off would be much appreciated.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Spot spot spot.
Throw kit items. Throw kit items. Throw kit items.
Take it slow, this isn't CoD. Take it slow, this isn't CoD. Take it slow, this isn't CoD.

There, all you need to know.

Ovid

As someone who has basically never played Battlefield before and is jumping in with B4 on the PS4, I'm just looking for some basic advice. I can't seem to competently do much. I feel like I'm shooting people but having no luck, and it just seems like with these numbers someone is always behind me before I even have a chance. Just some basic advice so I can get a hang of the game rather than selling it off would be much appreciated.
You can't run and gun one man army style in this game. It's more team based (as opposed to COD).

Slow and steady wins this race. Also, stick with your teammates.

In order to kill enemies you have to compensate for bullet drop. You also have to shoot ahead of your target if they're running laterally across the screen.

EDIT: One more thing, take a look at the map and your teammates screen before spawning on them. You should assess their situation first before jumping in and getting shot from behind.

Petrie

Banned
Spot spot spot.
Throw kit items. Throw kit items. Throw kit items.
Take it slow, this isn't CoD. Take it slow, this isn't CoD. Take it slow, this isn't CoD.

There, all you need to know.

I guess I need to learn what a kit item is and how to sue them?

You can't run and gun one man army style in this game. It's more team based (as opposed to COD).

Slow and steady wins this race. Also, stick with your teammates.

In order to kill enemies you have to compensate for bullet drop. You also have to shoot ahead of your target if they're running laterally across the screen.

EDIT: One more thing, take a look at the map and your teammates screen before spawning on them. You should assess their situation first before jumping in and getting shot from behind.

That's unfortunate because in the games I found nobody was talking. I guess I am too used to CoD style though. I'll keep that in mind going forward.

Thanks guys.

JJD

Man I had a great time playing with Olimpia and Faceless yesterday.

I had a hard time keeping up but I think I did well considering it's been something like 7 or 8 months since I played BF3.

What times are you guys playing? Seems like there is no one playing on the afternoon or early evening anymore.

I'm getting my PS4 around December 17, what about you guys? (PS3 crew: Olimpia, Faceless, Dream, Evolved, etc.)

Hopefully by then the MP issues will be sorted out.

I liked the new maps a lot.

Play a lot of TDM to get into a lot of firefights so you understand how the game's shooting mechanics and build up your reflexes.

It will make you better at shooting and awareness for every other mode

HariKari

I guess I need to learn what a kit item is and how to sue them?

The best classes for infantry teamplay:
Assault (primarily a medic) = medkits/medpacks, revive ability
Support = ammo packs, ammo boxes

Just throw medpacks and ammo at people, even if they don't ask for it. If there's a pause in the fight, drop some. If you are in a fighting position, drop some.

Then the second tier of team-orientation:
Engineer = repair tool, anti vehicle weapons
Recon = spawn beacon, sensors to help spot guys on minimap

These classes require more finesse to be useful to your team, although they seem straightforward at first. The gadgets don't work in any easily explainable way, so watch other players and read some guides. A well placed beacon can turn the tide of a map, and having enough anti- vehicle weaponry on the field is important for some maps.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Man I had a great time playing with Olimpia and Faceless yesterday.

I had a hard time keeping up but I think I did well considering it's been something like 7 or 8 months since I played BF3.

What times are you guys playing? Seems like there is no one playing on the afternoon or early evening anymore.

I'm getting my PS4 around December 17, what about you guys? (PS3 crew: Olimpia, Faceless, Dream, Evolved, etc.)

Hopefully by then the MP issues will be sorted out.

I liked the new maps a lot.
My PS4 should arrive November 29th, gonna get BF4 ASAP

jaypah

Why did I buy this game lol? The more I read about it the more intimidated I feel. It should arrive with my PS4 in a few hours. Does the single player campaign at least control the same as the multi? I'd like to at least get a feel for character movement and gunplay before jumping into an online game and dragging my team down.

Choppers have such a tenuous balance in these games. I'd say that the critical hit thing causing the pilot to lose controls is extremely annoying in the game. At the same time, the 25mm cannons rain down hell from the sky and it's devastating to infantry if it goes unchecked. Yesterday I fired all my stinger missiles at a little bird with an engineer and he healed though it. So, get another engineer to take it out as well right? Easier said than done in a pub server. Likewise, if you actually do have a couple of engineers with stingers and no engineer repairing the chopper, you will go down in seconds. One single player on either side of the equation can break the balance completely. I feel they should do something to force vehicles to engage in vehicular combat instead of going after infantry. Make the guns as useless as the boat miniguns but give more options to lock on to air and ground vehicles. That's fair game IMO.

On a side note, good to see you on GAF dude :)

I haven't unlocked the 25mm cannons yet, so unfortunately I'm stuck with the pea-shooter miniguns. I look forward to getting the 25mm cannons as well as missiles. Maybe then it'll be semi useful -- at least during those rare occasions in which I'm not being hit/disabled by AA!

P.S. Where the hell have you been!? You used to be on Rage all the time, but it looks like you haven't posted for over a year!

zma1013

Fucking frustrating when this game crashes. There fucking goes my points

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

As long as the server didn't crash and you didn't rejoin before that round ended, you will still get your points and stuff. If you rejoined immediately though it overwrites the stats and progress for that round.

At least, that's how it works on PC. I'm assuming it's the same for consoles unless someone else can prove otherwise.

LkPr

I'm just getting my PS4 today along with this game and have a quick question ... I've read about al the MP issues but is anyone having problems with the SP? I had planned on playing the SP anyway to get the MP unlocks so if there are no issues I'll definetly do that before trying the MP.

Why did I buy this game lol? The more I read about it the more intimidated I feel. It should arrive with my PS4 in a few hours. Does the single player campaign at least control the same as the multi? I'd like to at least get a feel for character movement and gunplay before jumping into an online game and dragging my team down.

Yeah, the campaign has some similarities to multiplayer. It features the same weapons (you even unlock some weapons for multiplayer through the campaign) and also has several moments in which you drive vehicles -- the same ones you use in multiplayer. If you want to practice on your own, there's a "Test Range" you can go to in order to try out every vehicle and the weapons you've unlocked.

J-P

Neo Member
Anyone else coming from primarily Xbox play and struggling with the left analog? I feel like i'm constantly wrestling with a comfortable placement. When i sprint for long periods, i have to push down hard or my thumb will slide off. It's uncomfortable as hell.

Other than that, this game (when it works) is so GD fun, and incredible looking to someone like me who has never even seen a high end PC game in person. May jaw dropped. Hope they get all the BS sorted and add in some party support.

Fonz72

As stated above Test Range is your best friend.

Other tips - squad up and use your mic.

Always throw ammo/health. Pay attention to blinking ammo and health icons on the map. This means someone needs help.

Repair vehicles if you are an engineer

Spot spot spot. It's R1 on PS4. Knowing where the enemy is, is essential.

Play with friends whenever possible.

Depending on game mode, objectives are more important than kills.

Team deathmatch is a great way to level classes/weapons and get a feel for the game without being overwhelmed by the complexities of objective based modes.

Add me if you want. PSN: Fonz72

jaypah

Yeah, the campaign has some similarities to multiplayer. It features the same weapons (you even unlock some weapons for multiplayer through the campaign) and also has several moments in which you drive vehicles -- the same ones you use in multiplayer. If you want to practice on your own, there's a "Test Range" you can go to in order to try out every vehicle and the weapons you've unlocked.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear!

As stated above Test Range is your best friend.

Other tips - squad up and use your mic.

Always throw ammo/health. Pay attention to blinking ammo and health icons on the map. This means someone needs help.

Repair vehicles if you are an engineer

Spot spot spot. It's R1 on PS4. Knowing where the enemy is, is essential.

Play with friends whenever possible.

Depending on game mode, objectives are more important than kills.

Team deathmatch is a great way to level classes/weapons and get a feel for the game without being overwhelmed by the complexities of objective based modes.

Add me if you want. PSN: Fonz72

Thanks! I will keep all of this in mind and I'll shoot you a friend request once I have everything set up. Thanks again.

Snookie

Just curious if anyone got a pre-order bonus from amazon for the ps4 version? I thought we were supposed to get a gold battlepack?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
One thing that's driving me crazy on the PS4 SKU:

Why in the hell is the Battlelog mapped to the big touchscreen button? Why on earth do they think people need instant access to this feature? Add on top of that the fact that it's a laggy sluggish mess when it's trying to load your stats... just... ugh.

I've accidentally hit this button so many times while trying to press the options button to bring up the map. Then that awful laggy window pops up obscuring everything, and I'm slamming on the touchpad button to get rid of it while some guy is shooting me in the face.

Just put the damn thing in the options menu. Please give us the option to de-map it at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom