• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.
God I am sick of this.

FiRVupq.jpg

First server crash in weeks. Was having a good round too :(. There was actually a recon marking targets with the binoculars in our team. That is so incredibly rare.

tatsuki

Yeah, R13 broke a few things. Front/melee counter-knives being one.
I just noticed this in my last game. My melee was a front melee but it was off to the side and all i was stabbing was air.

I need 3 more levels for 110. Screw it though, I'm taking a break from this game until suav and a few other things get fixed.

Zeppelin

I gave in a bought Premium today. Air Superiority is such a clusterfuck of a mode. I managed to max out the stealth jet but I don't think I'll ever touch it again.

Haven't played all the maps in CQ yet, but I really like what I've seen of Silkroad and Dragon Pass so far.

Hellcrow

Does the knifing animation make people invunerable? I swear that just happened.

I tried to kill someone knifing my teammate, but no hitmarkers or anything.

iso135

It seems to me the knifing/counter knifing as a whole responds very strangely. Netcode? I don't know. I'm just glad that we do not encounter them very often.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

It would be a new bug... you could kill knifers and save teammates mid-knife.

Overdoziz

Banned

You can kill enemies who are knifing your teammates.
You cannot kill enemies which are being knifed by your teammates.
I'm pretty sure enemies can't be killed if they end up counterknifing your teammate either.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

R13 may have broke that as well since counter-knifes broke.

DAT ROUND

DAT 2XP weapon exp.

Seriously though, DICE: 33 kills just to get that huge of a jump in weapon XP? Are you fucking kidding me? I'm glad you took weapons and stuff off the "level"/ranks but Jesus... don't make it a fucking grind without 2XP. If I had 2XP I doubt I'd have that huge a jump. It'd be maybe a quarter of that, which is insane.

abracadaver

Ive just played the map with the hanging gardens and there isnt a single water effect in there. no waves, no water splashes not even when you shoot into the water. wtf

Scarecrow

To play the China Rising maps, 1)do I have to search for servers, 2)is there a separate playlist for dlc holders, or 3) will quick matching automatically shuffle those in?

Whoever is designed maps for Dice now needs to actually play the game. I don't think they understand a few things:

1) Airspace needs to be divided. What I mean is, an AA person shouldn't be able to hit every plane/chopper on the map from any location. There needs to be some division so that sight lines aren't 100%. This was easier in BF2 or before as there were limits to visibility due to haze. To compensate now you need to include more buildings or mountains, etc.

2) Same thing for snipers. I'm not one of those people that says snipers should be removed from the game (well, okay, I do admit it would be better than what is happening now...), but I do think it needs changing, if only to dissuade people from sitting on one corner of the map and not helping their team all match. More effort needs to be made to reduce sight lines over long distances. Right now on most of the outdoor maps you can be almost anywhere and see a km away to snipe people. It needs to be broken up so that it's less rewarding to just stay in one spot and never move.

3) Swimming as infantry is not fun. Flood Zone and Paracel suffer from this, mostly, and there needs to be better options for infantry to move around without swimming for 60+ seconds.

TheSeks

Minty had a better round than me.

Destroyed as a sniper, switch to other classes with Carbines instead of trying to get my last Recon Sniper unlock. Continue to be slightly destroyed but make a come back.

Get bomb for last set. Die. Respawn, clear out B after grabbing bomb. 10HP FUCK YOU ARM set. Run around and try to knife someone as everyone else clears the area and BOOM, blown.

Win the round.

To play the China Rising maps, 1)do I have to search for servers, 2)is there a separate playlist for dlc holders, or 3) will quick matching automatically shuffle those in?

Yes. For Air Superiority Yes, otherwise No. Yes/No, depending on where matchmaking puts you/server.

Respectively.

Zeppelin

2) Same thing for snipers. I'm not one of those people that says snipers should be removed from the game (well, okay, I do admit it would be better than what is happening now...), but I do think it needs changing, if only to dissuade people from sitting on one corner of the map and not helping their team all match. More effort needs to be made to reduce sight lines over long distances. Right now on most of the outdoor maps you can be almost anywhere and see a km away to snipe people. It needs to be broken up so that it's less rewarding to just stay in one spot and never move.

Had you actually taken the time to try out recon you would have know this is pretty much already the case. Very few maps (not including China Rising) makes 500 m+ sniping score efficient. Other than Hainan Resort, no maps invite to really long sniper duels. Sure, people still try, but it's hardy efficient and you won't stay around for long until a heli finds you and taks you out. It's not like in BF3 where you always had 1 km+ sniper battles going on on Firestorm and Kharg.

Also, the only thing you have to do to not get sniped as infantry is to move and stay away from windows. Common sense. It's hard as fuck to hit a moving target at longer distances. And if you don't get the headshot you have to do it twice.

Edit: I should say though that I'm only playing Conquest.

3) Swimming as infantry is not fun. Flood Zone and Paracel suffer from this, mostly, and there needs to be better options for infantry to move around without swimming for 60+ seconds.

Flood Zone I agree with. Paracel I see no problem with. The swim between islands is like 5 seconds.

Played the PS4 version, thus connecting a PS4 soldier to my Origin account. Today I went back to the PC to play some with my main PC soldier and now I am getting this:

An error was reported from EA

Any suggestions? I've got my PC soldier selected as the active soldier. EA's help doesn't provide anything useful...

Grief.exe

Played the PS4 version, thus connecting a PS4 soldier to my Origin account. Today I went back to the PC to play some with my main PC soldier and now I am getting this:

An error was reported from EA

Any suggestions? I've got my PC soldier selected as the active soldier. EA's help doesn't provide anything useful...

Once you betray us, you can never come back.

Okay, here's a quick guide to Battlefield 4 (if you're a noob, you want to score more points, etc.)

Game Modes Explanation

Rush: Attackers have 75 tickets and have to arm and successfully defend the charge until it detonates. Usually 3-5 stages depending on the map. Every kill by the defending team with drain a ticket. Keep in mind the charge has about 40 seconds or so to be defused/detonated.

Obliteration: Each team had 3 sites that they have to defend while a neutral bomb spawns in the middle of the map. The team with the most sites left will win. Keep in mind that the charge has about 10 seconds or so until it detonates, meaning you have to be right next to the objective in order to defuse it in time.

Conquest: 5-7 flags are located around the map while each team spawns will 800 tickets. The team with the majority of flags held with slowly drain the enemy's tickets (the speed of depletion depends on how big the majority of flag's held are). Each kill by your team will also drain the enemy's ticket by 1.

Tips

1.) PTFO
Always make sure that no matter what game mode you're playing (Conquest, Rush, Obliteration), that you're always paying attention to the objective. If you're playing Obliteration and you notice the enemy bomb carrier is near your spawn, then spawn near your base. Don't spawn on one of your squadmates who's busy trying to spawn trap the enemy.

- In Rush and Obliteration, a flashing objective marker means that it's been armed by a team mate or enemy (depending on whose side you are)
- In Conquest, you need more friendly players than enemy players within the flag radius to capture it. If you're trying to capture the flag and notice it's not moving (or the orange bar is filling up again) then know they're are a lot of enemy players in your vicinity
- Don't always run straight toward the objective. Always try to flank with your team mates while using cover

2.) Learn to spot
Always make sure you press that RB/R1 button whenever you think you see something move in the distance. Try to make it a force of habit, because whenever you spot an enemy that you aren't able to kill, a team mate will usually take him out.

3.) Play your class
If you're playing Assault, make sure you either get a Defib or medkit (or both). If you're an Engineer, get a repair tool and rocket launcher or mines. If you're a Support, get an ammo pack along with something useful, like C4 or MAP-S. If you're recon, basically anything is fine as long as you use it.

- The longer you charge the Defib (hold RT/R2), the more health the revived player has
- Bullet drop also affects rockets. Make sure to aim higher and whatever direction they're going depending on how far they are
- Repair tools do a lot of damage to enemy vehicles
- It only takes 2 C4 to the back to destroy all land vehicles

4.) Don't reload after every kill
I know it's a force of habit to reload after every kill, but a enemy soldier will usually have a team mate spawn on him or have some one nearby, especially in 64 player conquest.

5.) Don't abandon vehicles
Please don't leave a tank or IFV while it's full health because you decided that you only wanted it to get across the map. The enemy will usually steal it, and they get that vehicle in addition to their vehicles.

6.) Fire in short bursts
Obvious, but always shoot in small bursts whenever you engage an enemy unless you're right next to him. This helps conserve ammo and makes you more accurate. Shorten your bursts depending on how far away the enemy is (large bursts when near, single shot when far).

7.) Always squad up whenever possible
If you join a game and notice that you have no one in your squad (or maybe 1-2 people) then leave and join another. Try to join one that needs your specific class or is nearly full.

8.) Try to play a class that the team needs, not the one that you want to play
If you notice that the majority of your team are playing Assault and Recon, please don't go to one of those classes. Try to play to either what the squad needs or what the team needs.

- Try to balance yourself by playing all the classes. This allows you to have a similar number of unlocks between classes and won't leave you underpowered if you decide your team needs a Support.

DesertFox

Okay, here's a quick guide to Battlefield 4 (if you're a noob, you want to score more points, etc.)

Game Modes Explanation

Rush: Attackers have 75 tickets and have to arm and successfully defend the charge until it detonates. Usually 3-5 stages depending on the map. Every kill by the defending team with drain a ticket. Keep in mind the charge has about 40 seconds or so to be defused/detonated.

Obliteration: Each team had 3 sites that they have to defend while a neutral bomb spawns in the middle of the map. The team with the most sites left will win. Keep in mind that the charge has about 10 seconds or so until it detonates, meaning you have to be right next to the objective in order to defuse it in time.

Conquest: 5-7 flags are located around the map while each team spawns will 800 tickets. The team with the majority of flags held with slowly drain the enemy's tickets (the speed of depletion depends on how big the majority of flag's held are). Each kill by your team will also drain the enemy's ticket by 1.

Tips

1.) PTFO
Always make sure that no matter what game mode you're playing (Conquest, Rush, Obliteration), that you're always paying attention to the objective. If you're playing Obliteration and you notice the enemy bomb carrier is near your spawn, then spawn near your base. Don't spawn on one of your squadmates who's busy trying to spawn trap the enemy.

- In Rush and Obliteration, a flashing objective marker means that it's been armed by a team mate or enemy (depending on whose side you are)
- In Conquest, you need more friendly players than enemy players within the flag radius to capture it. If you're trying to capture the flag and notice it's not moving (or the orange bar is filling up again) then know they're are a lot of enemy players in your vicinity
- Don't always run straight toward the objective. Always try to flank with your team mates while using cover

2.) Learn to spot
Always make sure you press that RB/R1 button whenever you think you see something move in the distance. Try to make it a force of habit, because whenever you spot an enemy that you aren't able to kill, a team mate will usually take him out.

3.) Play your class
If you're playing Assault, make sure you either get a Defib or medkit (or both). If you're an Engineer, get a repair tool and rocket launcher or mines. If you're a Support, get an ammo pack along with something useful, like C4 or MAP-S. If you're recon, basically anything is fine as long as you use it.

- The longer you charge the Defib (hold RT/R2), the more health the revived player has
- Bullet drop also affects rockets. Make sure to aim higher and whatever direction they're going depending on how far they are
- Repair tools do a lot of damage to enemy vehicles
- It only takes 2 C4 to the back to destroy all land vehicles

4.) Don't reload after every kill
I know it's a force of habit to reload after every kill, but a enemy soldier will usually have a team mate spawn on him or have some one nearby, especially in 64 player conquest.

5.) Don't abandon vehicles
Please don't leave a tank or IFV while it's full health because you decided that you only wanted it to get across the map. The enemy will usually steal it, and they get that vehicle in addition to their vehicles.

6.) Fire in short bursts
Obvious, but always shoot in small bursts whenever you engage an enemy unless you're right next to him. This helps conserve ammo and makes you more accurate. Shorten your bursts depending on how far away the enemy is (large bursts when near, single shot when far).

7.) Always squad up whenever possible
If you join a game and notice that you have no one in your squad (or maybe 1-2 people) then leave and join another. Try to join one that needs your specific class or is nearly full.

8.) Try to play a class that the team needs, not the one that you want to play
If you notice that the majority of your team are playing Assault and Recon, please don't go to one of those classes. Try to play to either what the squad needs or what the team needs.

- Try to balance yourself by playing all the classes. This allows you to have a similar number of unlocks between classes and won't leave you underpowered if you decide your team needs a Support.
Everyone who plays battlefield should be forced to watch a PowerPoint presentation with all of this information.

Great points, I agree with all of them.

TheSeks

"PulledACanadian" as a user name.

What the hell is "pulling a Canadian?"

Hey guys. I'm pretty new to this game. I just picked it up in the Origin sale not too long ago.

Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun but I feel like I'm getting my ass handed to me over and over. I definitely am not that good yet but I feel the gun I've been using is holding me back but I have no idea what weapon to use.

I mainly play the assault class and am currently using the SCAR-H with 4x ACOG sight.

Does anyone have a recommendation to a weapon I should try out? I'd like an assault rifle that can kill from a pretty far range if that exists. Any help is very much appreciated. I'm new to having to unlock weapons so I don't know what is considered good or bad.

DTKT

Why is it taking 5+ minutes for me to load one map? The weird thing is that the games will sometimes go full-screen like it's finished and I can hear the audio.

TheSeks

Why is it taking 5+ minutes for me to load one map?

Because DICE.

Apparently an Solid-State Drive will speed it up. Everyone has that long load otherwise.
---

2,000 more points and then I'm done with Snipers outside of the assignment one. >_< Hoorah. Then that leaves the Carbines and Shotguns.

UCAV is bullshit, support shouldn't be able to resupply that shit to continue to spam missiles on infantry and tanks.

What's the average time I should expect to be able to stay alive in a Conquest match flying anything?

Feels like with the abundance of Engineers and the strength of the AA vehicle, lifetimes are measured in seconds and effectiveness a fleeting experience at best. Other than for a (very fucking brief) change of pace, I'm just not sure why I'd want to fly an attack chopper or fighter jet. Seems like the best vehicles are AA vehicles and tanks...and AA vehicles almost feel broken. You can gun soldiers down with the gatling gun from 500m away and shoot down everything that takes to the sky. I think my last few AA tank games have been on average 18/3 k/d. I've yet to see anyone even half that effective on a helio or plane. I've seen some very annoying heilo's but nothing a pair of Engineers and some Stingers couldn't handle quickly. IDK.

Also do planes have air breaks or any way to slow down on approaches? or is it just the 1 speed + afterburner?

Nameless

The most ironic thing about this game is that DMR users tend to be the most egregious spray & prayers. They're not terribly effective, but just the sound of those guns firing pisses me off for some reason.

Milennia

The most ironic thing about this game is that DMR users tend to be the most egregious spray & prayers. They're not terribly effective, but the sound of those guns firing pisses me off for some reason.

Im about 80% of the time able to turn around and kill them lol.

Ocho

Because DICE.

Apparently an Solid-State Drive will speed it up. Everyone has that long load otherwise.
---

2,000 more points and then I'm done with Snipers outside of the assignment one. >_< Hoorah. Then that leaves the Carbines and Shotguns.

UCAV is bullshit, support shouldn't be able to resupply that shit to continue to spam missiles on infantry and tanks.

Considered uninstalling for a few seconds there.

TheSeks

It wouldn't be a problem if it was one-time and having to be resupplied like the recon SUAV. But it has ATTACK capablilities in addition to reconning. I can see why it's a support item (to help take out tanks) but people aren't going to use it for that purpose.

DICE "PLAY LIKE GENTLEMEN" BALANCE! (TM)

aeroslash

A quick question for you guys. Yesterday i saw b4 for ps4 for the first time and after playing b3 on pc for many years at the highest settings i didn't feel like it was anything special...

So what is the consensus? Is b4 on ps4 far beyond what b3 achieves on pc?

TheSeks

Can you use double xp and the battlepack xp bonus at the same time for 4x XP ?

Yes.

@Splinter: The way I see it, it shouldn't do too much damage to infantry. That Obliteration round they were abusing the hell out of it on ANYONE.

Anyway:

This dude

Joined at the end of This round while I was sniper-dicking it up.

*Team Switch after seeing he's part of DICE LA/"The Developers Formerly Known as Danger Close" to get his dogtags after I get the last 200EXP I need for the last sniper rifle*

Team takes first set of A, going for B

*he bails*

Me: DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE Y U NO GIVE ME DOGTAGS!? ;_____;

Never played on PS3, and they avoid me on PC. WHHHHHHHHHHHHY.

Zeppelin

What's the average time I should expect to be able to stay alive in a Conquest match flying anything?

Feels like with the abundance of Engineers and the strength of the AA vehicle, lifetimes are measured in seconds and effectiveness a fleeting experience at best. Other than for a (very fucking brief) change of pace, I'm just not sure why I'd want to fly an attack chopper or fighter jet. Seems like the best vehicles are AA vehicles and tanks...and AA vehicles almost feel broken. You can gun soldiers down with the gatling gun from 500m away and shoot down everything that takes to the sky. I think my last few AA tank games have been on average 18/3 k/d. I've yet to see anyone even half that effective on a helio or plane. I've seen some very annoying heilo's but nothing a pair of Engineers and some Stingers couldn't handle quickly. IDK.

Also do planes have air breaks or any way to slow down on approaches? or is it just the 1 speed + afterburner?

You can control the speed of a jet plane the same you can with all other vehicles. I even think the F-35 can still hover.

And yes, the mobile AA is ridiculous. I can't remember it being this much a problem child in BF3 (even before it got nerfed early on). It's probably the only thing I think they should seriously consider removing altogether.

I also feel the attack heli needs some kind of buf. It goes down way too easily considering you can't repair it like you can with the scout helis. It also don't feel nearly as agile as it did in BF3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom