• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJD

Man I'm having a hard time adapting to the PS4 controller.

I like the old dualshock better, but the new one is fine I can play with it. The real problem is the button config. It's a fucking nightmare. I have hundreds of hours of BF on PS3 on my brain and muscle memory is making me press the wrong button all the time.

It doesn't help that unless you're using the new config you have different configs for infantry, vehicles, vehicles gunners AND air vehicles. Legacy control scheme for vehicles makes the left shoulder button fire your main gun, but when you're on the gunners seat it goes back to firing with the triggers...and why the hell legacy for infantry doesn't allow me to shot with the shoulder buttons?

Burst firing is horrible now...I always burst fired mid to long range and had no problem taking people out on the PS3 but now it's a nightmare.

Fuck this shit. I think I'm going to endure the standard PS4 control scheme so the button config is pretty much the same for everything. The thing is, driving with the sticks sucks. I can't reverse on a straight line.

I lost count how many times I pressed the stick by accident making me do a knife attack in the middle of a fucking fire fight. On the PS3 this was not an issue because that was my crouch button so I would just correct my aim instantly but now I almost always end up dead.

Overall the PS4 control scheme is more welcoming to players jumping ship from the 360 than people coming over from the PS3... =(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvQCBCpZSBA

This video captures my thoughts on this game. It is too bloated and because of that certain modes and weapons are trash. I do think that there is too much weapons in this game. There is also too much useless modes as well.

I hate what they did to Rush. It use to be my favorite mode, but now its terribly balanced.

JJD

PSN is down for me for a couple of hours already...a message saying PSN is busy always pop up when I try to load BF4.

Anyone else having issues?

velociraptor

This has to be one of the worst single player campaigns I have played. I am never too critical of games; I tend to have fun with most games, including extremely linear campaigns such as Call Of Duty. However, the COD campaigns are seemingly epic masterpieces compared to BF4's single player. I have to force myself to finish this game. Also, the story is terrible and the character development sucks. I enjoyed BF3's campaign much more than this mess especially considering you have a great variety in terms of gameplay and locales.

This video captures my thoughts on this game. It is too bloated and because of that certain modes and weapons are trash. I do think that there is too much weapons in this game. There is also too much useless modes as well.

I hate what they did to Rush. It use to be my favorite mode, but now its terribly balanced.

Totally agree on this one. The more BF4 I play, the more I miss BF3.

I agree with this.

I'd be happy with just CQ and Rush.

I would miss CTF though. I like that mode.

One thing rush need ASAP, is double the amount of attacker tickets.

I was fine with Conquest and Rush as well. It's quite apparent that Rush quality went down the drain due either a lack of focus or not enough time to make a proper Rush map.

When I look at the Assault rifle attachments, I wonder why is there so many useless attachments. There is also a shitload of shitty pistols as well.

Milennia

I was fine with Conquest and Rush as well. It's quite apparent that Rush quality went down the drain due either a lack of focus or not enough time to make a proper Rush map.

When I look at the Assault rifle attachments, I wonder why is there so many useless attachments. There is also a shitload of shitty pistols as well.

Which attatchments?

I use everything outside of flash hider and 3 out of the 4 suppressors lol (no idea why thats necessary as it takes up battlepack space).
If you mean the stuff that does the same thing as the other stuff (lol) but are there for just cosmetic reasons,thats a battlepack issue and is a waste of space/could be confusing to new players seeing all of these different attatchments. Also most of the other classes use the same exact attatchments, sans sniper scopes and bipods (which some ARs have an option for, but why?).

For pistols, i only use the semi g3 and the p226/m1911. I use the g3 due to netcode and i use the p226/m1911 due to the p226 ridiculousness and the m1911 for its looks really lol.

Can't say I agree with the vid but I respect the opinion. I enjoy most of the modes( Rush is still very good to me) and I'm finding the weapon balance fine for the most part; nothing has stood out as overpowered ( too me) and all the weapons I've used have still allowed me to be competitive while still filling their own niche. I'm liking BF4 more than any other shooter I've played in a long while.

M320 LVG.

M26 frag and mass, why is there two?

Another shotgun attachment m320 dart.

So much shotgun attachments.

I believe it's a waste of development time that could make the game better in other ways.

zma1013

M320 LVG.

M26 frag and mass, why is there two?

Another shotgun attachment m320 dart.

So much shotgun attachments.

I believe it's a waste of development time that could make the game better in other ways.

That's hardly a substantial waste of development time. Using skins and models they already have from BF3 and modifying some numbers isn't much. Singleplayer on the other hand is the largest waste of resources in this game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The only shitty pistol is the Five-seveN I feel. The others have been pretty decent from what I tried of them. Yes, even the M1911.

The assault rifle attachments are left-overs from BF3 and those are popular with people that don't play healing. So... *shrug*

A lot of what you're complaining about is either assets from previous games or too short development time.

It's a waste of time making several map modes when you could be using that time to improve others You're just adding more variables and more does not equal better. It is a waste of time and developement time is finite.

Another thing, more useless weapons just make the progress system a pain in the ass for players. There is not much people who wants useless filler weapons as they level up. They want to unlock good stuff. Better use of time could had made the game better just by getting rid of filler weapons and modes. More focus on the strengths of the game would make the game much better.

BF3 could probably been better if there wasn't much fluff as well. I didn't play it so I can't comment on that.

terrible

Banned
BF3 is nearly unplayable for me compared to BF4 now that every player isn't rewarded for missing me (suppression). Infantry on infantry combat is miles better now. I've always had a preference for ground fighting even in conquest so BF4 > BF3 for me.

Bollocks

What's the point of the bipod?
Just unlocked it but stats wise it doesn't make any difference if I put it on or have no attachment at all.
All the other attachments improve some aspect of the weapon, bipod NONE
Is this a bug?

terrible

Banned
Just unlocked it but stats wise it doesn't make any difference if I put it on or have no attachment at all.
Is this a bug?

For automatic weapons it greatly reduces full auto recoil. For snipers it gets rid of weapon sway I assume (I've only used it in single player). You have to set it up first though. If you're near something around chest height like a crate or window it should set up when you ADS, or you can just go prone and do it.

JJD

Is this a bug?

Well a bipod is a bipod! What did you expect?

Hold the aim down sights button when you're prone or next to something and you will use the bipod which makes you have no recoil at all even when going full auto. If you're sniping you'll have no scope sway.

The downside is that you have to stay stationary the whole time.

Not worth it IMO, but bolt action snipers and some support guys running with LMGs love it.

TheSeks

Not worth it IMO,

6g88Mlt.gif

but bolt action snipers

Completely worth it. Fuck scope sway.

and some support guys running with LMGs love it.

Completely worth it. Put it on the PKP, Bipod on something. Proceed to mow down folks with 2 bullets from across the map.

Bipod is GDLK and I hate DICE for making it a bullshit 20 kill unlock on snipers since it should be fucking default to get around their Call of Dooty scope sway.

The downside is that you have to stay stationary the whole time.

Only for the bipod to stay deployed. Someone firing on you? Get out of the way/bipod comes up.

The major issue with bipods that DICE didn't fix is the wonky deployment. Sometimes I'm near cover and it won't deploy and sometimes I'm facing 5 feet up in the air while prone and it'll deploy as if I'm facing flat with the ground (or optionally won't deploy if I'm looking slightly at the ground). But the advantages way the wonky deployment con.

TheSeks

Oh. Is it just BF4 or all games?

EVERYBODY.gif

Holidays and launch consoles and blah blah blah.

Even Steam was down for most of yesterday due to people hammering it for L4D2. It happens this time of year.

TheSeks

Crack: Except those weapons aren't fluff. Smoke Grenades for Support/Engineer/Recon (and Assault) back-up the M320 smoke grenades that the Assault can lay down if they choose to use that assault rifle attachment. It's a tactical advantage. Same for the Assault Rifle Shotgun attachment/M26 MASS. Why would I want to use a shotgun only when I may get into mid-range engagements that I need an assault rifle to hit at range with?

The major issue is the map design. The modes themselves are fine (though they could've probably dropped TDM... not sure if they fixed the bullshit spawns that BF3 had in that mode, can't care to check) but the maps REALLY needed more thought for the modes and/or differences in modes.

I mean TDM Lockers will block areas off so people can't wander into other areas like Rush/Conquest access. Which is a lazy way of doing it (BC2 used it with out of bounds for the maps) but would solve some of the issues that modes have in some of the maps.

terrible

Banned
Crack: Except those weapons aren't fluff. Smoke Grenades for Support/Engineer/Recon (and Assault) back-up the M320 smoke grenades that the Assault can lay down if they choose to use that assault rifle attachment. It's a tactical advantage. Same for the Assault Rifle Shotgun attachment/M26 MASS. Why would I want to use a shotgun only when I may get into mid-range engagements that I need an assault rifle to hit at range with?

The major issue is the map design. The modes themselves are fine (though they could've probably dropped TDM... not sure if they fixed the bullshit spawns that BF3 had in that mode, can't care to check) but the maps REALLY needed more thought for the modes and/or differences in modes.

I mean TDM Lockers will block areas off so people can't wander into other areas like Rush/Conquest access. Which is a lazy way of doing it (BC2 used it with out of bounds for the maps) but would solve some of the issues that modes have in some of the maps.
The spawns in TDM are worse than they were in BF3. Partly because almost all the maps are just squares (ie terrible for TDM) but even then it just randomly spawns people wherever. Expect to spawn in the middle of enemies or have enemies spawn directly behind you at all times. For example on Hainan and Dawnbreaker at the start of the round basically half of each team will spawn in the exact same spot. Talk about instant action.

JJD

6g88Mlt.gif

Completely worth it. Put it on the PKP, Bipod on something. Proceed to mow down folks with 2 bullets from across the map.

Bipod is GDLK and I hate DICE for making it a bullshit 20 kill unlock on snipers since it should be fucking default to get around their Call of Dooty scope sway.

Only for the bipod to stay deployed. Someone firing on you? Get out of the way/bipod comes up.

The major issue with bipods that DICE didn't fix is the wonky deployment. Sometimes I'm near cover and it won't deploy and sometimes I'm facing 5 feet up in the air while prone and it'll deploy as if I'm facing flat with the ground (or optionally won't deploy if I'm looking slightly at the ground). But the advantages way the wonky deployment con.

Sorry Seks but bipods just doesn't work for me. As I said IMO they are not worth it.

Seems like most people using bipods actively are even dumber than your average BF player. They usually seem oblivious to their surroundings, completely fixed on their narrow field of vision. Anecdotal of course, but I can't remember the last time I had a hard time against someone using a LMG and a bipod. Lone wolf snipers camping miles away using bipods are more a nuisance than anything. Every now and then you get killed by one but so what? Those guys are not usually helping win the game (yes, even on rush).

It's fine if bipod pros want to mow down people with LMGs or sniper rifles from across the map, I just hope they are not on my team! ;-)

IMO anyone striving to be a good bolt action/DMR sniper should just master the steady scope mechanic and stay mobile. And play the mid range game. If you're more than 200 meters away from the objectives you don't care about winning the game.

You don't really need bipods, they are just a crutch more often than not.

JJD

If anyone on PS4 is having trouble trying to play BF4 because of the PSN issues, just load battlelog on your PC/MAC and join a server there. It worked for me.

I wish I had this idea 6 hours ago... =(

Playing right now and I can't even see my friend list or check my trophies. Fucking PSN...

Anyone having problems with PC? I just get stuck on "Connecting" and after a bit it just times out and says unable to find server. It's always something with this game/

Facism

on one game on shanghai tdm, i shit you not, 5 enemy guys spawned one after another in the same spot in the space of 20 seconds. Easiest 5 kills i ever had. TDM is trash. DiCE don't know what they're doing outside of CQ, and i'd wager they barely know what they're doing for CQ.

scogoth

Learn to aim. Its pretty easy to compensate for sway and the straight bolt makes you a way more effective recon because it reduces your reload time by a substantial amount. With the straight pull your reload happens immediately after firing whereas with the bipod the reload time starts after you have stopped ADS which adds nearly a second to reload.

Recons are not helping anyone at 300+ meters where the bipod is needed. Move up behind the front line at ~150m and support your squad by being a spawn point, spotting, taking out bipoded LMG/snipers/mounted weapons.

Yes I know you play rush and most rush players are bad and will run into the same bipoded sniper 6 deaths in a row, but if you have drunken against you then we will delight in headshotting easy targets.

terrible

Banned
Honestly the only legitimate use for a bipod is holding down the choke points in Lockers with an LMG. Other than that you'll nearly always just be an easy headshot for a skilled player.

My setup, Ace 52, R2 suppressor, green light, stubby grip, coyote scope.

Sweet lord have mercy on me. I've been using this weapon for about 4 weeks now, so I know exactly the range I can kill someone.

It feels like I can single handedly win CQ large games with it too.

Sweet lord have mercy on me. I've been using this weapon for about 4 weeks now, so I know exactly the range I can kill someone.

That's pretty close to my Assault/Engineer loadout as well. I've changed the laser sight for a 2x magnifier though.

I find my default loadout now is:

Support
m249 LMG
coyote sight
potato grip
2x magnifier (though I might change to laser if I'm on Lockers)
suppressor (or flash-hider if it's a darker map sometimes)

I'm finding the m249 a beast against infantry with tap-fire. I won't win if I run into someone around the corner, but in mid-distance engagements I find that not having to reload ever gives me a huge advantage.

keezy

Most OP gun in the game... With that being said that's my loadout too. I prefer the RDS over the coyote sight though.

Oops. Sorry I meant ACE 23.

terrible

Banned
Why? Only difference between the two is you have more awareness with the Coyote.

I have a friend who uses the holo sight on everything and his reasoning is that he likes it more (lol). Yeah I don't get it. Less gun/sight blocking the screen = better. Coyote is the only way to go for me once I unlock it.

Has anyone here been able to get a sub-account on a PS4 to play online? I set one up for my son specifically for BF4, but when I just tried it, it gave me an EA/Origin error. I also don't see anyway to sign him into Origin from within the game.

terrible

Banned
Has anyone here been able to get a sub-account on a PS4 to play online? I set one up for my son specifically for BF4, but when I just tried it, it gave me an EA/Origin error. I also don't see anyway to sign him into Origin from within the game.

Yep, I have a second PSN account that works just fine. I made a new Origin account and used that, though if I wanted I am sure I could have just used my regular Origin account too. I had no issues.

Maybe EA/Origin is having issues because of the holidays?

Bollocks

What's up with the IR/Thermal scopes?
They crap out every other respawn.
The thermal scope doesn't work at all just acts like a regular scope(had to double check I selected the right one) and the IR scope only works till the first respawn then it reverts to a standard scope for that round wtf.

What's up with the IR/Thermal scopes?
They crap out every other respawn.
The thermal scope doesn't work at all just acts like a regular scope(had to double check I selected the right one) and the IR scope only works till the first respawn then it reverts to a standard scope for that round wtf.
Just double tap the weapon switch button and all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom