• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That doesn't count as a pistol? WTF!?

I still gotta get pistols done I got three left, damn it DICE!

Omni

I'm starting to get so pissed off at the amount of crashes that are still happening on Xbox 360.

Last one just corrupted my game save. I can only assume my campaign progress is lost too. Again.

How do you unlock the MTAR? I did the assignment requirements but it didn't unlock. Do you have to do it on China Rising maps?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Reached rank 10?
Own China Rising?

Then:

Get a kill with a sniper rifle in a round?
Get a kill with an assault rifle in a round?
Get a kill with an LMG in a round?
Get a kill with a hand grenade in a round?

NOTE: In a round means ALL of them done in a round. Not "get a kill with an LMG one round, get a kill with the sniper rifle in another round..." ALL of them in one round.

If yes: Then it's bugged for you or something, because it was working before China Rising even launched.

Omni

Yeah, I did all of those and it seems to be unlocked on battlelog... Though I can't check in-game because stats aren't working on 360. Every server I enter has people with no rank and default equipment.

I'll try again later, I guess. Probably just bad timing with the server going down

turnbuckle

If the game crashes in campaign and I go back and am not given an option to resume or continue does that mean my progress is gone?

Seanspeed

Banned
The three guns you get for making the choices are really good so even if you don't like the campaign, I would just tank through it just to get those guns. It doesn't take long to finish and isn't hard at all.
You're still talking like 15 hours to get all three guns.

Bumhead

Banned
I see where you got your username now ;)

The SP in this game is a complete joke compared to Shadow Fall, and SF has many of its own problems.

I dunno.

To be honest I don't think there is much to split them. They're both very run of the mill and by the numbers in the grand scheme of things and neither push any envelopes. For me though Battlefield 4 edges Killzone in the gameplay stakes and there wasn't anything in Battlefield 4 that bothered me or almost had me rage/frustration qitting the game like the appalling 7th, 8th and 9th levels in Killzone did. It definitely beats out Killzone in that regard for me. That back end section of Shadow Fall is amongst the least I've ever enjoyed a single player game across any genre.

In either instance, multiplayer is where it's at, and I'm pleased to say I'm enjoying splitting my time between the two. Battlefield 4 is mostly stable for me now. Infact the single player crashed on me more than the multiplayer has in the last two weeks or so.

Mathezar

Guys, check out this excellent video which shows everything wrong with the core pillars of BF4 as an FPS. It's about 30 mins but goes into great detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMyliIAdwz8

I think I'm done with Battlefield. EA/DICE have shown no real intention in the improvement of the game since launch, which is now what, 3 months ago? DICE never acknowledge problems until they are trapped into a corner they can't bullshit their way out of, like to the point we are at now - and then, dead silence.
It saddens me greatly as I have been playing Battlefield since the demo of 1942 came out all those years ago and I'm watching the decline of the BF franchise happen right before my very eyes... As far I see it, this is clearly an issue of mindset that is lacking greatly at EA and/or DICE.

Rainy Dog

Well, I finally got both the MTAR and L85A2 assignments rattled off last night.

Decided I'd focus on going out of my way to get them done instead of just trying to remember when I'd landed a random grenade kill and then switching through the other weapons during the same round. Which means I hampered my teams performance terribly but, hey, they insist on these silly assignments so what can you do.

Equipped them both at the first opportunity so the unlocks wouldn't be reset in the event of a crash. Man, the MTAR feels bonkers after working my way through the 600-650rpm guns only initially.

Omni

Yeah. I'm not sure if I want to keep using the MTAR after unlocking it tonight... Thing feels crazy in anything not extreme CQ. Might just continue and see if any attachments make it a bit more stable.

Milennia

Weird. I don't see it in Battlelog. It's either a Second Assault/future DLC thing, or they're testing new things to add to Premium.

Yeah, it just shows up in game.

So confused as i was expecting to get it, and hearing that someone was killed by it gave me hope (god video games make you say some weird shit).

After 110 + battlepacks... I have everything but that knife. (And most camos obviously)

On the topic of camos, i find myself just using the adaptive ones as its interesting getting a new color each game.. I actually am missing only 2 of those, but i have my 2 favorites already, those being tiger and hexagon.

Rainy Dog

Yeah. I'm not sure if I want to keep using the MTAR after unlocking it tonight... Thing feels crazy in anything not extreme CQ. Might just continue and see if any attachments make it a bit more stable.

Yep, does seem the weapons are actually reasonably well balanced in that regard.

Considering most guns in each class have the same damage model, you might well wonder why the heck anyone would use the SAR-21 instead of an AEK. But the trade-off between the amount of bullets that actually go where you aim them versus the pace they're spit out at is pretty fair across the board really.

There's a couple of exceptions but even some of the obvious candidates on paper seem to perform better than the stats would suggest. The G36 seems incredibly pointless next to the AKU-12 for example. But it's side-to-sde recoil really isn't is nasty as the numbers imply and does seem like Dice did plenty of tweaking based on actual in game performance rather than just balancing the numbers.

Rainy Dog

On the topic of camos, i find myself just using the adaptive ones as its interesting getting a new color each game.. I actually am missing only 2 of those, but i have my 2 favorites already, those being tiger and hexagon.

I wondered how those worked. I unlocked the adaptive hexagon last thing last night but was just blue when I quickly tried it in the test range. I'll keep it equipped and look forward to a shiny new colour each round, then.

Milennia

I wondered how those worked. I unlocked the adaptive hexagon last thing last night but was just blue when I quickly tried it in the test range. I'll keep it equipped and look forward to a shiny new colour each round, then.

Ya the test range is always blue, i think its because they consider it paracel.

Rainy Dog

Ya the test range is always blue, i think its because they consider it paracel.

Is that actually part of Paracel? I did wonder.

I also realised last night that I barely know my way around most of the vanilla maps. Played nothing but China Rising for the best part of 3 weeks which might not have been the wisest thing to do so close after launch actually. Feel like I suffer for it quite a bit when I play the vanilla maps now as I've barely played some of them...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Yeah i need to go ham on China Rising, i quite like Silk Road and Dragon Pass. (Conquest)
Any news on upcoming patches? .... and Second Assault?

Facism

this game is full of the thickest idiots to play fps games. Even CoD players don't hold a candle to them. Too much mechanical choice in the gameplay exposes them for how lacking in intuition or reaction to micro or macro gameplay events.

Getting torn up by a littlebird with a repairing engineer? Go engineer yourselves and take it down? NOOOOOO, you have to play assault class because that's all you like. One single LAV on a bridge owning you? Go engineer or carry c4 to deal with it? NOOOOO, "fuck you i'm playing assault."

I'm playing engineer, i'm asking others to play it too so we can deal with what are quite decent vehicle players on the other team, but no, they want to play with assault rifles and they cry when guy in littlebird kills them the 10th time. Barely a single medpack drop but hey 12 whole revives!

And then this one guy, Doberman. Sitting outside of E flag (even when the enemy has it capped!!!!!) trying to snipe B. All game. Getting 4 - 12 K:D in a 750 ticket server. His excuse is he's trying to unlock sniper rifles.

this game is full of the thickest idiots to play fps games. Even CoD players don't hold a candle to them. Too much mechanical choice in the gameplay exposes them for how lacking in intuition or reaction to micro or macro gameplay events.

Getting torn up by a littlebird with a repairing engineer? Go engineer yourselves and take it down? NOOOOOO, you have to play assault class because that's all you like. One single LAV on a bridge owning you? Go engineer or carry c4 to deal with it? NOOOOO, "fuck you i'm playing assault."

I'm playing engineer, i'm asking others to play it too so we can deal with what are quite decent vehicle players on the other team, but no, they want to play with assault rifles and they cry when guy in littlebird kills them the 10th time. Barely a single medpack drop but hey 12 whole revives!

And then this one guy, Doberman. Sitting outside of E flag (even when the enemy has it capped!!!!!) trying to snipe B. All game. Getting 4 - 12 K:D in a 750 ticket server. His excuse is he's trying to unlock sniper rifles.

Like BF has always been, playing with a single good squad, especially coordinated over voice chat, can completely dominate most servers. I refuse to play the game alone without friends because it's infuriating to play with randoms only.

snack

Lol

I do have to say, compared to BF3, the viability of playing something other than engineer in CQ is pretty low. I suppose that's thanks to the lack of infantry focused maps.

Milennia

I do have to say, compared to BF3, the viability of playing something other than engineer in CQ is pretty low. I suppose that's thanks to the lack of infantry focused maps.

This is the case.

Assault is my favorite class (i have 17 stars for engineer and assault equally) yet i can only feasibly play it without hindering myself on zavod and locker as well as guilin.

If my squad is full of engineers, ill usually fill in a gap. When i play with friends, i can also play assault as they are good players and deal with vehicle threats, where as I help with the push.

You will not take down a good pilot that has an engineer in his pocket on your own.. It wont happen, you will run out of resources faster than his flair cooldown and ability to duck behind obstacles and repair.

Outside of friends and those specific maps, I'm engineer depending on the situation of course.
I have no need for unlocking weapons either, as i did that during XP week, so now i just fill in gaps. Funny thing though.. That gap is usually a medic in my case. My games are full of engineers that are hungry for AA kills and flock to tanks and IFVs like flys on an elephant.

Not to mention the fact that assault is so rare in my games that when i play it, I'm usually the only one on the map. All i get are engineers, and from other peoples perspectives.. That seems to be the case elsewhere as well.
As i said in my post a couple of pages back regarding assault and engineer viability... Bad players are bad players, even if everyone plays engineer, a bad player still wont get the job done, and considering that most of the playerbase is terrible, that doesn't leave much wiggle room.

Milennia

But Milennia pls ;_;

I need these 2 things so badly.

This deal is insane, so tight lipped.
I was disappointed with CR outside of the l85 and guilin.. I just spam vanilla.

Maybe the visceral game (If that turns out to be the case) will be managed differently..

Dat wishful thinking.

I've always enjoyed playing engineer and assault (medic). My 2 favorite things to do is launch an RPG into the ass of tank and watch it pop or revive teammates. Unfortunately, since I only play Conquest, I too only feel comfortable playing assault on locker and Guilin Peaks. I have 17 engineer stars and just 1 assault star. I prefer the maps in BF4 over vanilla BF3 but like I've said in the past, conquest needs some smaller scale infantry focused (not infantry only) maps mixed in. Guilin Peaks is a good step in that direction but I rarely ever play it because I HATE the other China Rising maps.

Omni

Haha, yeah. Game seems to be filled with people who have absolutely no idea what they're doing. Half the time I feel like I'm the only one thinking beyond "CAP FLAG AND GET POINTS LOL" while the whole team is getting mowed down by tanks and scout helicopters in conquest.

Like today. A couple of support players with shotguns were hiding in a building. They had it locked down completely. Not even exaggerating, I must have seen at least 12 of my teammates enter that room one by one before finally deciding to chuck a few grenades in. Unbelievable.

Let's not even talk about the general population's inability to look at the mini-map.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
A question, what is considered a good SPM?

Also not related, the micro destruction in this game is amazing.

Especial creating large craters, on Hainan Resort, I literally spent a minute laughing at this.

HiHGCcNl.jpg

Look at the water!

Also unrelated here's my first BF4 mini montage.
Ha I like the bit at about 25s where you 'force pull' the helicopter onto you.

Omni

I still can't believe that it's however months from launch and I'm still freezing on loading screens every time I enter a new server. Ridiculous.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I can live with the sound going off during the first 10 seconds of a match, i can live with the graphical glitches on the spawn screen, with the occasional freezes, with the broken in game server browser, with the Heli+Engineers, even with the Recons being godlike as theyre now.

But no squad up? Nope.
No loadout change outside a match (Battlelog through a web browser doesnt count)? Nope

And the worst of them all: The Medic is called Assault. WHATS UP WITH THAT?

Milennia

I can live with the sound going off during the first 10 seconds of a match, i can live with the graphical glitches on the spawn screen, with the occasional freezes, with the broken in game server browser, with the Heli+Engineers, even with the Recons being godlike as theyre now.

But no squad up? Nope.
No loadout change outside a match (Battlelog through a web browser doesnt count)? Nope

And the worst of them all: The Medic is called Assault. WHATS UP WITH THAT?

They also don't have c4 and instead have a 40mm.. No idea what happened in the transition between bad company 2- BF3 but it looks like they want to stick with it..

Fersis

They also don't have c4 and instead have a 40mm.. No idea what happened in the transition between bad company 2- BF3 but it looks like they want to stick with it..
<Jerry Seinfeld Voice>
I mean their class icon is a + but its called Assault. What's the deal?
</Jerry Seinfeld Voice>

BFBC2 had it right with classes, names made sense and you could recognize each class quite easily during a match.
BF3 was really hard to read, BF4 is quite the improvement at least.

I miss ammo box on Assaults. Since most people play Assault or Engineers, you rarely begged for ammo.

Watch BF5, give engineers the ammo box. They can literally do everything now.

There is multiple gaf squads on the PS4. Just check the console thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom