• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ominym

Banned
And then this one guy, Doberman. Sitting outside of E flag (even when the enemy has it capped!!!!!) trying to snipe B. All game. Getting 4 - 12 K:D in a 750 ticket server. His excuse is he's trying to unlock sniper rifles.

If I'm ever in a squad where some guy just keeps being that type of shitty sniper? I will repeatedly spawn on them when I die and drop a big hand flare right on top of them. A nice little beacon for other snipers and infantry to see.

Omni

Only time I've used support is when I've needed the air burst... Haven't even unlocked everything with it yet.

I feel naked without an RPG.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Not playing all classes. *shakes head*

Honestly though, the bigger issue is the fact people don't use their fucking kit items at all. EVER. :|

terrible

Banned

Honestly though, the bigger issue is the fact people don't use their fucking kit items at all. EVER. :|

I don't understand why Support players never drop ammo. Why even play as Support if you're not going to drop ammo? Your guns are outclassed by ARs and claymores/C4 aren't nearly amazing enough to make you want to play Support for just that.

The entire point of going Support should be to distribute ammo. I throw ammo at every guy I pass when I'm Support and I toss ammo near me before I engage in fights in case people need ammo while I'm busy. It's such an easy concept.

Kabuto

4x Scope + Sniper Rifle is amazingly good. I went like 10-0 at the beginning of an Operation Locker round because I just killed whoever came in through the staircase at C haha

I don't understand why Support players never drop ammo. Why even play as Support if you're not going to drop ammo? Your guns are outclassed by ARs and claymores/C4 aren't nearly amazing enough to make you want to play Support for just that.

The entire point of going Support should be to distribute ammo. I throw ammo at every guy I pass when I'm Support and I toss ammo near me before I engage in fights in case people need ammo while I'm busy. It's such an easy concept.

I honestly see a lot of med kits tossed out but ammo crates are still painfully rare even though I see a lot of support players. The ammo crates numbers are increasing recently though so I have faith that the community in general is slowly improving. I remember in the beta that ammo crates were so rare (making them higher level unlocks was an incredibly stupid decision) that you would see 6 or 7 players huddling around one like they were worshiping their god whenever one was sighted.

TheSeks

I don't like Recon and I don't play Support much, mainly Assault and Engineer for me!!!

Recon is the most useful class no matter the mode. More people need to slap a PDW (er-"Carbine") on it and use the T-ugs (not the beacons, they suck because they aren't BC2's) to give their team a head up on the objective. Which... no one does.

Support is GDLK with that LMG and refilling ammo... which... no one does.

Again: Not using all classes like smart people would do. *shakes head*

Timu

Recon is the most useful class no matter the mode. More people need to slap a PDW (er-"Carbine") on it and use the T-ugs (not the beacons, they suck because they aren't BC2's) to give their team a head up on the objective. Which... no one does.

Yeah I'm also lazy now because I used all the classes more in previous BF games.=p

Why, oh why, did they ruin them? In BC2, they showed concentric circles on the radar and you could tell when they disappeared. In BF4, there's no way they last 2 minutes as claimed, and I can barely hear their pinging sound (and you can't hear it at all! How unfriendly is that of DICE?).

I am so pissed off at DICE right now. Played Hainan, and got killed in the D ship from one particular spot. I hate the new killcam, because it makes the scene look so 2-dimensional that I can never tell if the enemy is in front or behind an object. Well, it turns out there is a panel that you can walk through and crouch behind, totally hidden. If people come back for you after respawning, it just looks like you moved somewhere else. Stand at the D flag facing E. The panel is in the NW corner of the ship.

terrible

Banned
Recon is useful when used in moderation. 1-2 Recons placing a TUGS tactically while attacking/defending objectives is great. More than that and they're just a burden. If they are actually doing their job there's no need for more than a handful of Support players too. The most used classes should be Engineer and Assault depending on game mode, making them the most useful as far as I'm concerned.

Omni

zkpo.png

:lol

So unbalanced. I've played 98% of my games in Conquest, so that explains it a bit. Engineer is just too useful in every situation to give up.

DarkFlow

Banned
So I guess Fairfight will kick you from a server for getting on the 3rd level of C on OP Locker. Idk how that's a glitch, there's a damn opening in the railing for you to jump on too. Fucking dice.

Rainy Dog

Speaking of recon gadgets... Has there been any acknowledgement that motion balls are bugged? Or are they just nerfed to crap?

They were incredibly useful in BC2 and I was over the moon when I heard they were returning in BF4. I used to rack up a ton of assists with them to boot, but I can probably count on one hand the number of motion assists I've seen pop up in BF4.

last game of the night -

flood zone: strike 1

Teams unbalanced by 8 players: Strike 2

7 players on enemy team over level 100 start spawn camping minutes into the game: strike 3!

Do people really just have fun setting up servers with stacked teams like this? ugh. what a waste of time.

Mafro

Guys, check out this excellent video which shows everything wrong with the core pillars of BF4 as an FPS. It's about 30 mins but goes into great detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMyliIAdwz8

I think I'm done with Battlefield. EA/DICE have shown no real intention in the improvement of the game since launch, which is now what, 3 months ago? DICE never acknowledge problems until they are trapped into a corner they can't bullshit their way out of, like to the point we are at now - and then, dead silence.
It saddens me greatly as I have been playing Battlefield since the demo of 1942 came out all those years ago and I'm watching the decline of the BF franchise happen right before my very eyes... As far I see it, this is clearly an issue of mindset that is lacking greatly at EA and/or DICE.
The hitbox stuff and one hit kills are infuriating.

I wouldn't necessarily call engineers overpowered. When in a vehicle trying to capture flags, I fear C4 more than rocket launchers personally and I'd choose just about every assault rifle over every carbine but engineers are definitely the most well rounded with the majority of maps currently available in Conquest. The class is weakest when infantry is emphasized.

yup, on infantry maps the other classes get more use, especially Support and Recon. Claymores, TUGS and other equipment all plays a more important role than just having rockets :D

And sure, AR's are better than Carbines on most cases, but its a decent compromise to have a well rounded character.

Tricky thing that, game balancing :D when engineers only had shotguns no one wanted to play them. I do think giving them SMG's only was a good balance i guess. No long range action for that class but versatile in close quarters.

And fearing C4, be sure to get proximity scan on your vehicles! :D

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hey TheSeks whats the deal about emblems? Are they gonna ever get fixed?
I love the idea of having my cute Kitten face on my vehicles. I think it only worked over a sniper rifle.

Speaking of which are OP, i got a bunch of long range headshot last night and im the worst Sniper ever.

Rainy Dog

Tricky thing that, game balancing :D when engineers only had shotguns no one wanted to play them. I do think giving them SMG's only was a good balance i guess. No long range action for that class but versatile in close quarters

It was. But then they went and made Carbine's all-kit weapons. I run with the UMP as an engineer but I've barely been killed by another PDW myself. I'd say 90%+ of all engineers run with carbines.

Part of the problem is that the PDW's are way too situational as their mid-long range damage and accuracy is too poor. LevelCap always mentions in his reviews that he'd only recommend using any of them in either Domination or TDM...which just goes completely against the role of being an engineer in the first place.

If the PDW's were made outright the strongest automatics at close range like in BC2 where they actually had either the highest close-range damage or fire-rate, then they'd be more viable. A couple of them are up there, but most still not against the majority of AR's or some carbines and LMG's.

terrible

Banned
I went on a pretty fun spree where I cleared off the roof at C on Hainan and enemies just kept getting back up there somehow. Eventually I started using a little bird that my teammates landed on the roof and I got 9 kills with it, one of which was an air roadkill on the pilot of the enemy Z11 after he bailed. That was the 1st time I'd ever actually flown it in BF4 too.

I started 28-1 less than 10 minutes into the game and saved the replay on my PS4. Or at least I thought I did. When I finished the game I went to upload it and it wasn't there. So sad. Maybe it glitched because I was logged into 2 PSN accounts at the same time? :(

Rainy Dog

Damn, looking back at the Bad Company 2 damage chart the balancing plus variety across and within classes was nearly perfect.

Just having that slightly lower base damage model allowed them that extra leeway in either direction to balance the damage around the RPM and accuracy and make each weapon unique and suited to it's class.

Omni

I hate snipers in this game.

Nothing worse than doing your thing and then hearing PSSSH PSSSH PSSSH PSSSH PSSSH PSSSH, forcing you to dive behind cover while he just spams the fuck out of his weapon at you. I know that sniping at long range is fairly difficult - and requires a fair amount of luck, but god damnit if it's not frustrating to die by someone 600m away.

/just played a game on Flood Zone or whatever it's called. Worst map ever.

TheSeks

BC2 had balanced weapons? Time seems to really make us forget how bad things were lol.

It kinda did... until people ran only Magnum Ammo. Worst fucking thing they ever did.

(Well that and the destruction of trees/things to where the maps became the surface of the moon/lopsided in attack/defense favor. And the helicopters. Otherwise still fun!)

Quickmatch is finally working. What a hoot this game is!

As I level up and get a new scope or whatever, is it automatically put on the gun or do I have to go to some screen to put it on there? If so, which and how?

TheSeks

Hey TheSeks whats the deal about emblems? Are they gonna ever get fixed?
I love the idea of having my cute Kitten face on my vehicles. I think it only worked over a sniper rifle.

Change vehicle camo? It should pop-up after that because Battlelog has to apparently ping everytime you make a change.

Speaking of recon gadgets... Has there been any acknowledgement that motion balls are bugged? Or are they just nerfed to crap?

Given they've been crap since beta, I'm assuming the later.

But really, T-ugs "prospecting" > BC2's throwing three temporary "T-ugs" and having to resupply them (BECAUSE NO ONE FUCKING RESUPPLIES)

So unbalanced. I've played 98% of my games in Conquest, so that explains it a bit. Engineer is just too useful in every situation to give up.

Conquest still needs Recon, Assault, Supports for intel, healing, resupplies. Effectively.

Engineer is the "easy mode" class since BF3. Whereas in BC2 "Sniper" recon was the "easy mode" class since you could sit back far away and pew pew pew with little to no retaliation plus mortars. So I can understand how casual players would play the easy-mode class, but really:

Support can C4
Recon can C4

And given the wonky damage design on RPG's (SRAW is about the only one worth a damn and you have to guide it the entire way to hit something since they nerfed Javelins), using SLAM mines as a C4 analog is better than rockets.

(Of course, SLAMs seems to be hit and miss in some cases. I can put them on the ass of a reactive armor and no DICE. Seems C4 is still more effective in taking reactive armored tanks out in that case. But I guess it makes sense in the case of balance)

terrible

Banned
It kinda did... until people ran only Magnum Ammo. Worst fucking thing they ever did.

(Well that and the destruction of trees/things to where the maps became the surface of the moon/lopsided in attack/defense favor. And the helicopters. Otherwise still fun!)

Most stuff eventually got patched but the M60, AN-94, shotguns with slugs, etc were all overpowered to the point of being silly at one point. Other than BF Vietnam it might have had the worst weapon balancing in the series at launch. I miss the Battlefield Vietnam pre-patch M60 :(

I don't mind wonky weapon balancing really, I'm just sayin'!

Rainy Dog

Oh, I forgot about magnum ammo. Didn't seem to screw weapon balance up across the board, though... Just usually meant it took one less bullet. But you were pretty much forced to equip it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I hate snipers in this game.

Nothing worse than doing your thing and then hearing PSSSH PSSSH PSSSH PSSSH PSSSH PSSSH, forcing you to dive behind cover while he just spams the fuck out of his weapon at you. I know that sniping at long range is fairly difficult - and requires a fair amount of luck, but god damnit if it's not frustrating to die by someone 600m away.

/just played a game on Flood Zone or whatever it's called. Worst map ever.
Dunno man, Sniper Rifles are too good in this game. I dont have the patience to play as Sniper but ive getting some good Marksman Head shots quite consistently.

Change vehicle camo? It should pop-up after that because Battlelog has to apparently ping everytime you make a change.
I mean the emblem you draw on battlelog, i only saw my kitten drawing once in a sniper rifle but in theory it should work on Vehicles too.

Do China Rising Maps support Obliteration? Couldnt find a single match last night.... maybe its bugged In Game Server Browser right?

Most stuff eventually got patched but the M60, AN-94, shotguns with slugs, etc were all overpowered to the point of being silly at one point. Other than BF Vietnam it might have had the worst weapon balancing in the series at launch. I miss the Battlefield Vietnam pre-patch M60 :(

I don't mind wonky weapon balancing really, I'm just sayin'!

Oh, I forgot about magnum ammo. Didn't seem to screw weapon balance up across the board, though... Just usually meant it took one less bullet. But you were pretty much forced to equip it.

Yeah didnt want to give the enemy the advantage :/ i used M60 all day everyday. Hoping to see it make a comeback with the next expansion :p

Milennia

Dunno man, Sniper Rifles are too good in this game. I dont have the patience to play as Sniper but ive getting some good Marksman Head shots quite consistently.

I mean the emblem you draw on battlelog, i only saw my kitten drawing once in a sniper rifle but in theory it should work on Vehicles too.

Do China Rising Maps support Obliteration? Couldnt find a single match last night.... maybe its bugged In Game Server Browser right?

Its supposed too, but its bugged and only works once in a while.
It should show up on everything. Its a known bug they say they are dealing with, most prevalent on consoles.

TheSeks

That's exactly what I mean. To be "on the level" with other players, you were FORCED to use that perk. Terrible balance.

Noise: QBB and M240 aren't Pansy, bb.

Fersis said:
Do China Rising Maps support Obliteration?

Yes. I played an awesome round on Altai Range in Sabotage. I just don't think it's popular with the China Rising owning people though.

Nowise10

Can someone explain the design philosophy, behind the buildings roofs on Zavod 311 and how you can "lock" the ladder so no one else can get up? Because from every single match I've played on the map, it just seems to promote a teammate or an enemy to just sit up their can camp with a spawn beacon the entire match, and no one can go up and kill them.

Omni

Can someone explain the design philosophy, behind the buildings roofs on Zavod 311 and how you can "lock" the ladder so no one else can get up? Because from every single match I've played on the map, it just seems to promote a teammate or an enemy to just sit up their can camp with a spawn beacon the entire match, and no one can go up and kill them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNz9HXGLTCs

You're welcome.
I was just looking this up now, actually. Fuck people who camp there... Haha.

Conquest still needs Recon, Assault, Supports for intel, healing, resupplies. Effectively.

Engineer is the "easy mode" class since BF3. Whereas in BC2 "Sniper" recon was the "easy mode" class since you could sit back far away and pew pew pew with little to no retaliation plus mortars. So I can understand how casual players would play the easy-mode class, but really:

Support can C4
Recon can C4

And given the wonky damage design on RPG's (SRAW is about the only one worth a damn and you have to guide it the entire way to hit something since they nerfed Javelins), using SLAM mines as a C4 analog is better than rockets.

(Of course, SLAMs seems to be hit and miss in some cases. I can put them on the ass of a reactive armor and no DICE. Seems C4 is still more effective in taking reactive armored tanks out in that case. But I guess it makes sense in the case of balance)
Does it though? I tend to play alone, but most Conquest games essentially come down to whoever has the most Engineers at hand. From repairing Scout Helicopters to taking out armour.

Disagree about RPGs too; They're so versatile. You spawn with like 6 of them... most times you can take out at least one tank with those. Or up to 6 helicopters depending on your aim (though that's highly unlikely, haha). C4 on Recon is extremely limited and with Support you're either playing 'Jihad' or hide and go seek with tanks.

I find them harder to use than those in BF3, hah. It's the trail... Makes it hard to see where your round is going.

scogoth

DICE design philosophy, "Use the OP heli's"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNz9HXGLTCs

You're welcome.
I was just looking this up now, actually. Fuck people who camp there... Haha.

Player design philosophy, "Thank God for bugs"

With heli's available, you're never going to lock them off the roof and you can unlock the hatch from below but it's a awkward. I've learned to ignore them in most situations because they are typically completely ineffective and your time is usually better spent dealing with something else. I'll call out to the scout chopper pilot occasionally if he appears to be ignoring them and it gets out of hand. However, it is frustrating when you notice like an entire squad of teammates sitting on the roof when your team is in desperate need of a capture point, but over years of playing Battlefield, I've come to accept that a significant portion of the players are going to be completely useless. If they weren't on the roof, they'd be sniping from some other useless position.

At least they've pretty much solved the problem of half a team waiting for planes on a runway and blowing them up if they knew someone else might reach one before they did. :p

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'll be on tonight (PS4) if anyone wants to get a GAF group going.

PSN name is the same as GAF name.

Facism

BC2 is still the most fun i've had with a battefield game since bf2.

Good memories of shotgun slugs that had no bullet drop and could headshot across the map lol.

--

Starting using the mtar, gun is autoaim or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom