• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkeane

Hey guys is Bf4 now at least playable on the ps4? Or is it still buggy and crash a lot?
I haven't had a crash in a long time but on certain levels the lag-rubberbanding-whatever you want to call it make the map hell. It seems like it's the maps that have levolution that turn to trash.
Golmud, Zavod and the China Rising maps mostly run well.

Quickmatch is finally working. What a hoot this game is!

As I level up and get a new scope or whatever, is it automatically put on the gun or do I have to go to some screen to put it on there? If so, which and how?
Seriously? QM is up? Finally!! I'll have to try it once I get home, I was hating scrolling and waiting for servers.

Also, for the scopes, they don't automatically equip - you have to go to the in-game customization menu, which is when you die and you can choose your class. Press "X" if you're on XB1 (not sure on PC or PS4) to customize the class, highlight the gun, and press "X" again to go to a sub-menu to equip the different sights and other things you've unlocked for the gun.

Also, for the scopes, they don't automatically equip - you have to go to the in-game customization menu, which is when you die and you can choose your class. Press "X" if you're on XB1 (not sure on PC or PS4) to customize the class, highlight the gun, and press "X" again to go to a sub-menu to equip the different sights and other things you've unlocked for the gun.

OMG thank you.

zma1013

It was. But then they went and made Carbine's all-kit weapons. I run with the UMP as an engineer but I've barely been killed by another PDW myself. I'd say 90%+ of all engineers run with carbines.

Part of the problem is that the PDW's are way too situational as their mid-long range damage and accuracy is too poor. LevelCap always mentions in his reviews that he'd only recommend using any of them in either Domination or TDM...which just goes completely against the role of being an engineer in the first place.

If the PDW's were made outright the strongest automatics at close range like in BC2 where they actually had either the highest close-range damage or fire-rate, then they'd be more viable. A couple of them are up there, but most still not against the majority of AR's or some carbines and LMG's.

I find the PDW-R is really good and probably the best all around PDW. I find it does good at medium range, even beating a few of the carbines.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hopping on the PS4 version now. Message me at kittens_dx if you want to join up.

It kinda did... until people ran only Magnum Ammo. Worst fucking thing they ever did.

(Well that and the destruction of trees/things to where the maps became the surface of the moon/lopsided in attack/defense favor. And the helicopters. Otherwise still fun!)

Let's not forget the horrors of everyone using the Carl Gustav. I'm one to blame though. Near the end of the games life I had something like 9 plat stars with it.

Rainy Dog

I find the PDW-R is really good and probably the best all around PDW. I find it does good at medium range, even beating a few of the carbines.

Yeah, I'm gonna move onto that once I've reached 510 kills and unlocked everything for the UMP. Oddly, the PDW-R seems to have the tightest hip spread as well as probably the best long range performance of the PDW's.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I join a Conquest server, play one match, then it goes to Operation Locker. It's happened four times in a row now, lol.

zma1013

Yeah, I'm gonna move onto that once I've reached 510 kills and unlocked everything for the UMP. Oddly, the PDW-R seems to have the tightest hip spread as well as probably the best long range performance of the PDW's.

Let's just say that when I'm using the PDW-R, I don't feel like I'm at a disadvantage.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
They only fucked thing about the rooftop grates is how hard it is to open it when its locked, especially when parts of the building have been blown off.

zma1013

They only fucked thing about the rooftop grates is how hard it is to open it when its locked, especially when parts of the building have been blown off.

I don't think their intention was for you to be able to open them from underneath, someone just figured out a work around involving jumping up on the railing.

Grief.exe

It kinda did... until people ran only Magnum Ammo. Worst fucking thing they ever did.

(Well that and the destruction of trees/things to where the maps became the surface of the moon/lopsided in attack/defense favor. And the helicopters. Otherwise still fun!)

It made it worse that it was one of the latter unlocks. Made it hard to LTTP that game.

Let's just say that when I'm using the PDW-R, I don't feel like I'm at a disadvantage.

Complete opposite of how I feel with a DMR currently.

MillerEP

Neo Member
I don't think their intention was for you to be able to open them from underneath, someone just figured out a work around involving jumping up on the railing.

That was a terrible design decision in the first place. "Let's design a spot where people can camp and nobody can get to them."

zma1013

Complete opposite of how I feel with a DMR currently.

I agree, the DMR's are horrendous. They are a jack of all trades that can't do anything well, so that no matter what situation you find yourself in, they are outclassed.

Too weak and too much recoil make them a terrible long range sniping choice; also lack high magnification scopes.

Not fast enough to beat the accurate fully auto concentrated fire from assault rifles and carbines at medium ranges; 4x scopes coupled with the high recoil make it very difficult to quickly realign for a mandatory second or third shot.

Their close range is obviously crap because of the bad hip fire and slow shooting speed.

SKS seems to be the best one, but it still feels like I'm hurting myself using it.

That was a terrible design decision in the first place. "Let's design a spot where people can camp and nobody can get to them."

I agree, also LAWS.

I think I'm done with this game for a while. I don't know what the fuck happened with my connections last week but I've been suffering from some serious lag ever since last Friday or so. After that my skill has dropped from 350 to 250 and I'm practically useless for my teams at the moment since I get insta killed the second I see an enemy. I guess I will go back to Ghosts for a while even though I hate the maps...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

MP7, PDW-R, and FN P90 are all good. Just like they were in BF3.

It's a shame I can't use them and have to use the Carbines (which wouldn't be a big deal if I had the AKS-47U but I guess the G39C is fine...) on Recon. :(

Does it though? I tend to play alone, but most Conquest games essentially come down to whoever has the most Engineers at hand. From repairing Scout Helicopters to taking out armour.

Disagree about RPGs too; They're so versatile. You spawn with like 6 of them... most times you can take out at least one tank with those. Or up to 6 helicopters depending on your aim (though that's highly unlikely, haha). C4 on Recon is extremely limited and with Support you're either playing 'Jihad' or hide and go seek with tanks.

RPG's suck this outing, let's just get that out of the way. Splinter will be in and go "NO U THEY'RE EFFECTIVE" but using the RPG-7/SMAW? Terrible damage. LAW is piss-weak damage that has the only claim to fame of getting around active protection.

Javelin would be kinda useful... if it wasn't lock-on-and-hold. I had no issues with the "fire and forget" system BF3 had. And I dunno why they changed it when you still have smoke/active protection/etc. despite the fact it basically makes you a sitting duck now (which is why the changed it). Pointless.

SRAW does the most damage, can be fired from nearly any range and then guide one OR two (if you're good at it and quick in the reloading thing/trick) rockets into an ass from the other side of the map to a disable-kill guranteed.

Most of this is to be blamed on the fact they changed disables from "burning and slowed mobility" to having mobility be a "critical hit"/mobility loss bonus/timer and disable just be... uh... additional points. Pointless when the disables can be AUTO-REPAIRED BY THE VEHICLE ITSELF if no damage. So...

However let's get to the AT mines: Alright but not that great when can be spotted.

SLAMs are versatile and I've come around on them thinking they were redundant with AT mines. Being able to stick them on walls and roofs that vehicles may pass near/under is a god-sent gift. Being able to use them to "C4" tanks that may get you but then move two seconds later to *BOOM* FUCK YOU revenge kills is hilarious. The only thing that stops them is the active armor it seems (need to test them more but the test range doesn't let me actively test them...) like the C4 support/recon has. However C4 recon/support can take out all vehicles no matter the armor so they have the edge in anti-tank ability than the SLAM-mining Engineer and both are better at having a guranteed kill than RPGs with the new damage/disable/etc. systems vehicles have.

Now with that out of the way: Second.

Conquest:

You run out six rockets, who are you gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS SUPPORT PLAYERS!

You run away from a flag and someone is starting to cap it and you don't know where it is? Good thing you have a Recon player putting a T-ugs on the flag to show you where that person is, eh!?

Oh, you die before you use those six rockets? Get yo' ass up thanks to an Assault player.

Or continue to bleed tickets by dying/respawning/dying/respawning while the other side has majority of flags. That works as well to a loss

So yeah, all classes are needed no matter the mode. But again: Engineers are the "easy mode" class and have been since BF3 so I'm not surprised that people whine about not being able to take out tanks with the "other classes" (when it's really just Assaults that can't do it) and sit there rocking back and forth not knowing what to do with the other classes. *shrug*

It was. But then they went and made Carbine's all-kit weapons. I run with the UMP as an engineer but I've barely been killed by another PDW myself. I'd say 90%+ of all engineers run with carbines.

Part of the problem is that the PDW's are way too situational as their mid-long range damage and accuracy is too poor. LevelCap always mentions in his reviews that he'd only recommend using any of them in either Domination or TDM...which just goes completely against the role of being an engineer in the first place.

If the PDW's were made outright the strongest automatics at close range like in BC2 where they actually had either the highest close-range damage or fire-rate, then they'd be more viable. A couple of them are up there, but most still not against the majority of AR's or some carbines and LMG's.

Yeah, even when using the ACE 23 or M416 I find myself missing my AK-5C. I wish Assault Rifles and LMGs would get a bump, mostly in stability. Carbines are far too good.

Milennia

Yeah, even when using the ACE 23 or M416 I find myself missing my AK-5C. I wish Assault Rifles and LMGs would get a bump, mostly in stability. Carbines are far too good.

They don't need a bump, its just the ak and its range that needs a hit.

The l85-Ace are just dumb and don't need to be touched (they had a verticality nerf already).

The AK is a gun you could unlock at level 8 and is the top carbine.. Outside of the 52 of course.
You see it so much for this reason, its ridiculous how many people have this gun and realize its dumb. Even with a silencer it outranges everything outside of the 2 guns i mentioned.

Normally guns with range like that have something to compensate.. This gun doesn't, at least the top assault rifles have a learning curve and a stability kick at long range.
You use this thing and it feels like your shooting out of a plastic tube that is bolted into your arms.. Barely any kick and responds well with micro bursting.
I prefer how the 52 is handled. Big damage, 26 shot mag and decent range.. Low fire rate, kicks like shit at extreme ranges and will get outshot at short by most if you don't hip fire due to its ROF, I'm ok with that.

^^^^ also i agree with everything Seks just said, every word.
Smaw is good anti air though, with auto aim obv.
Also the RPG is ok with reload canceling, puts it at about 4s as opposed to the smaw 100% 5.
As well as the fact most of the community is bad, and c4 doesn't work if your bad... AKA kill yourself everytime, not maneuvering the tank etc.

Good drivers don't get fucked by one planter, they just get out while your planting and kill you while your distracted, i do it every time. I only die to other vehicles and slams, not other tanks however.. Due to sabot/staff charging.

Most of the community is made up of engineers, and most of those engineers use rockets. Its not uncommon to have 2-3 engineers pounding away at you.. Its scary as shit, and i don't care who you are, your not living unless you have immense support if 3 engineers are on you each with their own launcher.. Your dead in under 5 seconds since each launcher has less than a 5s reload outside of the smaw and its 5 hits to a kill most of the time.
Your active protection window is gone at that point and will delay the kill an extra 3 seconds.

Most of the community is made up of engineers, and most of those engineers use rockets. Its not uncommon to have 2-3 engineers pounding away at you.. Its scary as shit, and i don't care who you are, your not living unless you have immense support if 3 engineers are on you each with their own launcher.. Your dead in under 5 seconds since each launcher has less than a 5s reload outside of the smaw and its 5 hits to a kill most of the time.
Your active protection window is gone at that point and will delay the kill an extra 3 seconds.

I assume you're talking about every vehicle except the little bird? I've kept a bird up with just me and my buddy in it after getting hit by 3 stingers. I just always run the mechanic perk or whatever you want to call it. The only time we get truly fucked is if a tank / wire guided launcher / attack helio gets a good hit on us. Most of our games with us doing this ends up with him going something like 50-2 and me getting 10k points just from repair / stinger use.

Add Liquidsnake00 as a friend, and enjoy my clips.

Especially "The hand of God", and "Death from above". Im not crazy good, I take more time making the clips. I wish there was a slow mo feature.

Milennia

I assume you're talking about every vehicle except the little bird? I've kept a bird up with just me and my buddy in it after getting hit by 3 stingers. I just always run the mechanic perk or whatever you want to call it. The only time we get truly fucked is if a tank / wire guided launcher / attack helio gets a good hit on us. Most of our games with us doing this ends up with him going something like 50-2 and me getting 10k points just from repair / stinger use.

Im quite obviously talking about land vehicles and boats since i said active protection as well as 5 hits to kill as opposed to 1.

Everybody is aware of littlebird camping and knows its a problem.
I usually snipe them out of the air with sabot, or sit in AA and deal with them that way.
The smaw does well on them as well, you just have to wait for the, to slip up thanks to its travel speed.
You can hit a helo in this game without it actually making contact, a good video example is like 90% of the kills in the jackfrags montage.

Damn, looking back at the Bad Company 2 damage chart the balancing plus variety across and within classes was nearly perfect.

Just having that slightly lower base damage model allowed them that extra leeway in either direction to balance the damage around the RPM and accuracy and make each weapon unique and suited to it's class.
Yeah the rebalance was great. I quite like the damage output as well. Even with magnum ammo the damage per bullet after the rebalance is weaker than BF4's. BF4 not only has more damage, but even higher rpm weapons.

F2000 use to be my joke weapon and in BF4 it has normal damage with 950 rpm. I can't wait to get my hands on that.

I also like the lack of attachments.

Milennia

Yeah the rebalance was great. I quite like the damage output as well. Even with magnum ammo the damage per bullet after the rebalance is weaker than BF4's. BF4 not only has more damage, but even higher rpm weapons.

F2000 use to be my joke weapon and in BF4 it has normal damage with 950 rpm. I can't wait to get my hands on that.

I also like the lack of attachments.

Best AR in BF4 outside of the Ace.. Cant wait to get that thing.
The unique default scope is just icing.

Milennia

It pisses me off that we didn't get any word from Dice on when PC and PS4 users will get Second Assault. I don't care for maps, I just want weapons.

Same, that and the VSS... So weird that its a. Pdw but it makes perfect sense too, especially with the built in suppressor that has no compensation.. Amazing.

I figure we will hear something in february or late jan.
Still... Fuck that Ms deal.

Let's not forget the horrors of everyone using the Carl Gustav. I'm one to blame though. Near the end of the games life I had something like 9 plat stars with it.

I loved the Carl Gustav, the allure of getting double and triple kills was too much to resist, I wish a weapon like that existed in BF4.I also loved the mortar strikes for Recon, The AN-94, and the M16 before they were all nerfed ( which I admit took some of the flavor out of the game for me when it happened) I admit it, I enjoy it when a few weapons are overpowered( to an extent though) in a shooter.

Dacon

Banned
Dude what the fuck, since I've been having so many problems playing the MP I decided to finish off the campaign. I boot it up and all my saves have reverted to back where I was last week.

I figure whatever the campaign missions arent that long I can catch up. So I play the mission where you recover the DCC from the downed ship. I get to the area where I collect it, and when Kovic goes to take it from me I hear a loud crackling sound, and then the game freezes. I reload the checkpoint, and I'm trapped in the fucking room alone and I cant get out, can't pick the DCC up, cant do shit.

This fucking game man.

Acorn

I loved the Carl Gustav, the allure of getting double and triple kills was too much to resist, I wish a weapon like that existed in BF4.I also loved the mortar strikes for Recon, The AN-94, and the M16 before they were all nerfed ( which I admit took some of the flavor out of the game for me when it happened) I admit it, I enjoy it when a few weapons are overpowered( to an extent though) in a shooter.
Carl Gustav is my god. It was the ultimate rocket sniper, abit too good though ha

Timu

Normally I average 10-20 kills on this game, but I faced a dumb team and won 5 times in a row and in the last match it ended up with this with me having the most kills in the whole match:
jbmlIw3Mxcpvzo.png

Normally I don't get that many kills up to that in a match because I've been rusty when it comes to shooters now, lol.

Also, UMP-45 is amazing and SAR-21 seems to suck for me.

What made the AN-94 so good is the precision, not the damage to me. It's a mid to long range beast.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Anyone has issues picking up Battle Pick Ups? (Those cool weapons that spawn in the map)
Everytime i pick one it throws it away right after.

BUT i found that if i move my character while the 'changing weapon' animation it works fine.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
You'll throw it away if you change to another weapon
Yeah but thats the issue, i only press and hold once and it does both actions:
1)Pick it up
2)Throw it away/change weapon

But if i move my character during the animation everything is fine.

Another issue that is getting tiresome is the borked Server Browser since the in game battlelog is not working right ie: It doesnt allow me to join friend matches even when there's room.
I end up joining from the MP Menu.

Semper88

Yeah but thats the issue, i only press and hold once and it does both actions:
1)Pick it up
2)Throw it away/change weapon

But if i move my character during the animation everything is fine.

Another issue that is getting tiresome is the borked Server Browser since the in game battlelog is not working right ie: It doesnt allow me to join friend matches even when there's room.
I end up joining from the MP Menu.

Whaha, i have that too.. you pick it up and it trows it away. Like its saying NO YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

Anyone has issues picking up Battle Pick Ups? (Those cool weapons that spawn in the map)
Everytime i pick one it throws it away right after.

BUT i found that if i move my character while the 'changing weapon' animation it works fine.

Yeah i think if you hold triangle for just abit too long it will instantly drop it :p

Overdoziz

Banned
Yeah i think if you hold triangle for just abit too long it will instantly drop it :p
Yeah, there's a very small window in which you'll actually pick it up successfully. For some reason if you hold it too long it registers it as two button presses. It does the same with hatches on Zavod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom