• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnbuckle

Felt like an eternity to finally unlock the FY-JS. Took me less time to unlock most of the weapons from a single class normally. I mean asking the player to do between 50-250 headshots at 50 meters+ takes quite a bit of investment. I wish dice had learned their lesson from bf3 with stupidly grindy unlocks. It people have paid their money for the map pack, just let them have the stuff already. Or keep the requirements the same as the other guns in its class.

Working on this assignment is what's causing me to get so pissed/frustrated with the game this week. I can't seem to snipe in Conquest; can't nail the super long range shots to save my life, have a hard time not getting killed before someone kills me in a chopper or by a better sniper, and frequently get in situations where I spawn in locations that aren't conducive to sniping.

I'm finding I'm having the best luck doing it in Domination, but get so frustrated when our team either wins or loses too fast to get enough kills. Also hate that I'm basically a detriment to the team since I'm so focused on that assignment. It's a terrible way to play, but I can't actually get those ribbons unless I exclusively focus on them.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I haven't even bothered with sniping for the FY-JS since the damn thing wants 6 kills in a round and I'm lucky if I get that in a normal round since I'm too busy going around for the objectives than sitting back and sniping.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
The hilarious thing about it, is I unlock it and take it for a spin, get like 3 marksman ribbons with it in the next match without even really trying. Gun is just stupidly accurate. Almost feels like a hitscan weapon. Probably could easily kill anything within 100 meters of me with it if I get used to it.

Definitely.

And I had the same situation too - when playing with it for the first time, I also got 2 or 3 Marksman ribbons without even trying for it.

Forgot to mention my favorite thing about it too - it already comes with the 6x scope, which is my favorite sniper scope, and I only have it on one other sniper that I don't even use because of a Gold Battlepack - the M40A5.

Working on this assignment is what's causing me to get so pissed/frustrated with the game this week. I can't seem to snipe in Conquest; can't nail the super long range shots to save my life, have a hard time not getting killed before someone kills me in a chopper or by a better sniper, and frequently get in situations where I spawn in locations that aren't conducive to sniping.

I'm finding I'm having the best luck doing it in Domination, but get so frustrated when our team either wins or loses too fast to get enough kills. Also hate that I'm basically a detriment to the team since I'm so focused on that assignment. It's a terrible way to play, but I can't actually get those ribbons unless I exclusively focus on them.

Forget about Domination, go for Rush. You have to make 50 headshots that are at least or add up to 250 meters for a single ribbon, it's going to take forever there. Pick off the campers in Rush, trust me, it won't take long until you find a match where they are all lined up for the picking and you get multiple ribbons in one match.

turnbuckle

It's the hardest weapon in the game to unlock, but it's more than worth it for me. Only sniper I touch unless there's somebody way out in the middle of nowhere I want dead, then I pull out the M98B.

Plus I used the M98B to unlock it, the secret gem that most overlook to go for the SRR-61 instead so it wasn't much trouble at all for me. FY-JS took over the Scout Elite for me as aggressive recon, with it, my aiming above the head days were over, every headshot I aim dead-on for I land instantly, even while they're running. It's funny that you need Marksman headshots to get a short range sniper, but I guess they wanted the toughest challenge for a sniper that shoots as straight and instant as a laser with all of those shots in one mag.

I haven't tried the M98B. Just seemed like it had worse stats than the SRR so I didn't bother. Now that I have all the battlepacks for the SRR unlocked maybe I should switch to the M98? Still have about 13 Marksmen ribbons to go.

I haven't even bothered with sniping for the FY-JS since the damn thing wants 6 kills in a round and I'm lucky if I get that in a normal round since I'm too busy going around for the objectives than sitting back and sniping.

You can get it with 3 kills if you're opponents are sitting on the buildings in Lancang Dam or on the top of the buildings in Zavod pretty easily (at least when in TDM and Domination).

TheSeks

Other Sniper Rifles are better than the SRR, I feel. SRR drops at like 200 meters or so while the others normally drop but don't have that "tracer" that throws you off thinking you're shooting over someone compared to just not hitting them by milimeters.

Frankly, I'd use the SV-98 or the M98B over the other snipers. Maybe the Scout if the Scout had a bipod, but it doesn't, so fuck it.

You can get it with 3 kills if you're opponents are sitting on the buildings in Lancang Dam or on the top of the buildings in Zavod pretty easily (at least when in TDM and Domination).

I'm talking the sniper ribbons. The marksmen are easy provided I have time and can gauge my range to nail headshots. The problem is getting enough "Sniper Rifle ribbon"/kills for that ribbon.

(I still haven't gotten enough marksmen because I'm using other guns and they don't count towards marksmen anymore, apparently)

VariantX

Dont worry about getting the long shots to be honest with you. Just accumulate the 50 and 100m headshots untill you get to 250 marksman points and get the ribbon. Its alot less frustrating that way. I started doing it in domination, but as you said, alot of maps dont really have good sight lines for shots 50m or more. So I just played conquest and just played an aggressive recon role. It always helps to follow some armor some distance behind because its a big and loud distraction that draws engineers out like flies on honey. Flood zone is probably the best map in practially any mode to get those marksman ribbons though.

turnbuckle

I was using the starter Sniper for awhile until I got enough xp to get the SRR. By the time I got the SRR unlocked I had only 4 marksmen ribbons (and I was trying for a couple of days). First round of domination using the SRR and I got 2 marksmen ribbons. The difference, for me, between those two guns are night and day. I'll work on one of the other suggestions so I can at least work towards unlocking attachments. It makes not getting ribbons a little less frustrating since I don't feel like I wasted my time.

Dont worry about getting the long shots to be honest with you. Just accumulate the 50 and 100m headshots untill you get to 250 marksman points and get the ribbon. Its alot less frustrating that way. I started doing it in domination, but as you said, alot of maps dont really have good sight lines for shots 50m or more. So I just played conquest and just played an aggressive recon role. It always helps to follow some armor some distance behind because its a big and loud distraction that draws engineers out like flies on honey. Flood zone is probably the best map in practially any mode to get those marksman ribbons though.

That's not bad advice. I just wish I knew how to hit those 200+ meter shots. It never feels like I can get a hit, or a killing hit, with a bullet once it's going downward. If I focused on shorter shots in conquest I think I could do pretty well.

Milennia

Other Sniper Rifles are better than the SRR, I feel. SRR drops at like 200 meters or so while the others normally drop but don't have that "tracer" that throws you off thinking you're shooting over someone compared to just not hitting them by milimeters.

Frankly, I'd use the SV-98 or the M98B over the other snipers. Maybe the Scout if the Scout had a bipod, but it doesn't, so fuck it.

The m9 is the best rifle for moving targets due to its velocity.
Considering most of my targets move its hard for me to justify the SRR anymore, it works very well and is easily the best rifle for counter sniping stationary targets with little to no effort, but the M9 is versatile and i don't counter snipe unless I'm being shot at.

For everything else i currently use the L96 because its w.e.. Gun isn't great but it has a nice charge time for aggressive play and feels good, I'm waiting for the GOL.

TheSeks

I'm waiting for the GOL as well, but knowing DICE they'll have nerfed it and given it something besides the GDLK + scope it had as default which means it'll be a PITA along with the CAW OF DOOTY scope sway they added to fuck with me.

Fucking DICE. >:|

Milennia

I'm waiting for the GOL as well, but knowing DICE they'll have nerfed it and given it something besides the GDLK + scope it had as default which means it'll be a PITA along with the CAW OF DOOTY scope sway they added to fuck with me.

Fucking DICE. >:|

3 weapons i want from Second Assault now.
Maybe Titanfall launching will let them release their hostage.

turnbuckle

How do you guys know about things like bullet drop distance (the distance before drop really affects it) and bullet speed? Is it just from playing other games and having experience or is there a guide you go by?

This is basically the first time picking up and using a sniper rifle in a game in my life. I touched them for a second in Modern Warfare 2 and Halo (only other FPS I really played for any length of time) but I'm completely ignorant on the subject.

Milennia

How do you guys know about things like bullet drop distance (the distance before drop really affects it) and bullet speed? Is it just from playing other games and having experience or is there a guide you go by?

This is basically the first time picking up and using a sniper rifle in a game in my life. I touched them for a second in Modern Warfare 2 and Halo (only other FPS I really played for any length of time) but I'm completely ignorant on the subject.

Here you go,
http://symthic.com/bf4-stats

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I haven't tried the M98B. Just seemed like it had worse stats than the SRR so I didn't bother. Now that I have all the battlepacks for the SRR unlocked maybe I should switch to the M98? Still have about 13 Marksmen ribbons to go.

That's the problem with in-game stats in Battlefield and Call of Duty - if it weren't for symthic.com, everyone would have a different view on guns, and sniper-wise, the SRR-61 would be the clear winner. But in actually, from the raw data from BF4's code, the M98B is identical to the SRR-61 in every way except it's better in muzzle velocity (bullets travel faster) and it actually has a bit more max range. The SRR-61 has a bit less bullet drop than the M98B, but I took the trade of aiming a tiny bit higher for extreme shots (which you don't need since your goal is 250+ meters only) over my bullets flying instantly out of the sniper just like the FY-JS too. Oh and the M98B has practically double the shots before reloading, so you can wipe out a group of snipers with a straight pull without reloading.

But to each his own - if you've been that busy already and already that used to the SRR, stick with it, because it really is a different feel with the faster bullets and slightly increased bullet drop over extreme distances (if you're shooting at 500+ meters).

Edit: Beaten with the holy Symthic data site.

turnbuckle

Getting jet ribbons is a pain in the arse.

It's not as bad after the patch doubling the tickets in Air Superiority but it is still a pain. The easiest way I found was doing it in hardcore mode and doing your best to not let the other team control all the objectives as well as doing your best to make sure your team also doesn't control all the objectives.

If there are going to be objectives in that mode there need to be more, and the ticket amount needs to be increased. I don't mind there being objectives since it gives something else to focus on (and gives easier targets since your enemies will try capturing them).

The one that is still terrible is the attack chopper level in air superiority. Only a single objective and it's nestled between two steep hills. Terrible design.

turnbuckle

That's the problem with in-game stats in Battlefield and Call of Duty - if it weren't for symthic.com, everyone would have a different view on guns, and sniper-wise, the SRR-61 would be the clear winner. But in actually, from the raw data from BF4's code, the M98B is identical to the SRR-61 in every way except it's better in muzzle velocity (bullets travel faster) and it actually has a bit more max range. The SRR-61 has a bit less bullet drop than the M98B, but I took the trade of aiming a tiny bit higher for extreme shots (which you don't need since your goal is 250+ meters only) over my bullets flying instantly out of the sniper just like the FY-JS too. Oh and the M98B has practically double the shots before reloading, so you can wipe out a group of snipers with a straight pull without reloading.

But to each his own - if you've been that busy already and already that used to the SRR, stick with it, because it really is a different feel with the faster bullets and slightly increased bullet drop over extreme distances (if you're shooting at 500+ meters).

Edit: Beaten with the holy Symthic data site.

Ahh, thanks a ton guys :)

Bombless

If I'm reading this right: They mean the side-cannons, right? They're already good, IMO. Infantry can be mown pretty easy (granted it takes a little while) and suppressed pretty good with them. I don't need to see a buff to those. The pilots main default gun is already good for infantry and other stuff so if they mean that one as well it doesn't need a buff.

Of course, this is the only unpopular one that I voted for, since everyone and their mother wants the attack boat to dominate land, sea, and air. :/

They're talking about the boat's primary gun, not the side miniguns. I'm all up for this rather than slapping another primary/secondary just to deal with air defense (the 1st proposal in that poll).

In terms of sniping, I unlocked the L96A1 and haven't used anything else since then (I didn't use sniper rifles until a week or so ago).

Acorn

It's not as bad after the patch doubling the tickets in Air Superiority but it is still a pain. The easiest way I found was doing it in hardcore mode and doing your best to not let the other team control all the objectives as well as doing your best to make sure your team also doesn't control all the objectives.

If there are going to be objectives in that mode there need to be more, and the ticket amount needs to be increased. I don't mind there being objectives since it gives something else to focus on (and gives easier targets since your enemies will try capturing them).

The one that is still terrible is the attack chopper level in air superiority. Only a single objective and it's nestled between two steep hills. Terrible design.
I'm just annoyed at their dumb assignments in general. The 'get x of y' are frustrating and tedious.

The bomber ribbon assignment is one of the dumbest, you have a line of people doing nothing waiting to get in so they can maybe get some kills of stationary targets.

I'm shouting at clouds, I know lol.

Milennia

I'm just annoyed at their dumb assignments in general. The 'get x of y' are frustrating and tedious.

The bomber ribbon assignment is one of the dumbest, you have a line of people doing nothing waiting to get in so they can maybe get some kills of stationary targets.

Oh god, you will HATE the Second Assault assignments, more specifically, the GOL one.

Acorn

Oh god, you will HATE the Second Assault assignments, more specifically, the GOL one.
:(

The weapons should just unlock when you buy the dlc/premium and leave the assignments for dogtags and camo.

Anyway, on a brighter note I just saw that they've confirmed double xp weekend starting tomorrow on the battlelog app.

turnbuckle

Oh God yes, I haven't even started that yet. There shouldn't be any unlocks for that... maybe dog tag but nothing more. You get something for that, right? Is that the cruise missle or whatever? No idea what it does or how you use it but having it locked behind such an anti-team, anti- play the game the right way objective is stupid as hell

Are the bomber ribbon assignments even worth it? Tried getting them a couple of times but I can't do it, I just feel like a real piece of shit if I camp by the trailer for more than 30 seconds and have to go running off to shoot someone in the face or cap a flag.

VariantX

Yep, It just makes people camp around the bomber because its the only way they can complete their assignments and continue progression. The bomber should have just been something you get by holding a point, and then the commander calls it in when the asset is available for use. It just looks like to me they didnt do enough playtesting to see that its pretty unreasonable to ask people to complete an assignment they may not have a chance at in some some cases, several hours of play. And then that's assuming people are standing in one spot so you can get the kills.

Are the bomber ribbon assignments even worth it? Tried getting them a couple of times but I can't do it, I just feel like a real piece of shit if I camp by the trailer for more than 30 seconds and have to go running off to shoot someone in the face or cap a flag.
don't camp it, just time it and roll up in a vehicle to make the campers suicide.

TheSeks

they were a pain for me until i got the air to ground secondary. then i started getting them like cake in obliteration and conquest.

I can't stay in the jet at all. Get taken out and trying to take things out is too much work for me. I capitulated and let Splinter get me those ribbons for the unlock.

Worst. Assignment. Evar.

turnbuckle

I really hate the assignment for commander orders.

I played maybe 25+ games as commander and I can count the number of orders followed on one hand.

And it takes 10 orders followed in a game to get one ribbon. I'll never get the medal, let alone complete the bronze assignment that requires 10 of the ribbons.

And it sucks because basically the best way I've found of getting people to accept assignments as a commander is to just keep spamming when they're close to a location already. Trying to do anything strategically just doesn't work because people have their own prerogatives. I played several games once I finally learned the ropes where I started being more meticulous about orders I'd give and tried to use some kind of strategy but everyone just did whatever they wanted.

And I can understand; when I play, unless I'm in a group of friends I tend to do my own thing too. Hard to know if you have a commander running the show is just telling you to do things to give themselves more points or to actually aim for victory.

Long story short, some of these ribbons and assignments are thought out terribly.

I got so lucky for that one; a vehicle ran over my M2 slam while I was in the bomber, so it counted as a bomber kill for some reason.

For anyone who hasn't seen them, these are the second assault assignments,
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...-Assault-DLC-Assignments-and-Rewards-Revealed

Fuck all of these.

This is the GOL assignment
GOL MAGNUM

ASSIGNMENT: EAGLE’S NEST

Sniper Rifle Ribbon x1
In a round, kill 5 players from the Caspian or Firestorm towers

People camp these towers for free kills on people trying to get the GOL, its a mess.
We have learned nothing from the Halo 3 achievements. Oh well.

VariantX

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...-Assault-DLC-Assignments-and-Rewards-Revealed

Fuck all of these.

GOL MAGNUM

Sniper Rifle Ribbon x1

People camp these towers for free kills on people trying to get the GOL, its a mess.

Instead of rewarding the player for playing the game correctly, lets reward them for acting like dumbshits and being completely useless for the team.

turnbuckle

Do any of you guys use the battlescreen app from tablet/laptop/second monitor?

I've been on the fence about buying a tablet for awhile now, but having access to a map of the level I'm playing is starting to make me consider. Is there a way to view the full map while you're deployed in the game (I'm on PS4)? I can't remember if I asked that question before.

I also really wish there was a way to lock the minimap.

turnbuckle

Instead of rewarding the player for playing the game correctly, lets reward them for acting like dumbshits and being completely useless for the team.

Yeah, I hate it. I hate being that worthless player too. I was actually enjoying the game more before I started to focus in on unlocking certain things. Now my games are all about getting marksmen ribbons and it's just one frustrating mess. I'll also be kind of a jerk and switch teams if I see my team has 3-4 snipers all camping together in the same spot in a game of domination.

The team that has all the people sniping tends to lose, and if they keep respawning up top they become easy targets for me to snipe at them from the ground.

Milennia

No bullshit, if they want us to unlock weapons after we bought the DLC, than make them normal progression kit unlocks.

They are trying to make unlocks interesting yet all its doing is creating stress for those that actually want them.

Like... Kill assist ribbons? Really?

TheSeks

Fuck all of these.

GOL MAGNUM

Sniper Rifle Ribbon x1

Sniper's the only hard part. Camp Caspian or Firestorm's tower with an anti-air/Javelin/SRAW and an SMG->5 kills easy when someone comes at you (unless they're a sniper on the other side. heh.)

Unless DICE fucks that up by making it Sniper only like that previous China Rising "C4" assignment that was SUPPORT ONLY and Recon couldn't help with it.

Milennia

Sniper's the only hard part. Camp Caspian or Firestorm's tower with an anti-air/Javelin/SRAW and an SMG->5 kills easy when someone comes at you (unless they're a sniper on the other side. heh.)

Unless DICE fucks that up by making it Sniper only like that previous China Rising "C4" assignment that was SUPPORT ONLY and Recon couldn't help with it.

Thats the thing though, my friend has been trying to get this assignment for weeks.

You just get sniped by people who do nothing but stare at the tower all game.

TheSeks

So, snipe them back? I can't see how snipers would lock down that entire thing.

Milennia

So, snipe them back? I can't see how snipers would lock down that entire thing.

They do, you can hit the towers from any direction on the map, pinpointing snipers is ridiculous when doing this, i even tried to do it for him and couldn't, and I'm not even a bad sniper. Its like your surrounded by wookies trying to fend off other wookies that are surrounding, your group of surrounded wookies. Its fucked.

You get shot from every direction.
If all you had to do was get the ribbon, it would be amazing, i get 3 a game every time i go recon.

Closest i got was defending on rush on firestorm and i died at 4 kills from the mountain next to the attacker spawn.

TheSeks

OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. What the fuck DICE?

TheSeks

Just throw an acog or something onto an aggressive rifle and go nuts, you will get a one shot most of the time at medium range.

I'm thinking doing sniper hunting and sniping them for the in a round and then just camping the roof with an SMG and RPG or something. Fuck that getting in close with a sniper rifle shit.

Milennia

I'm thinking doing sniper hunting and sniping them for the in a round and then just camping the roof with an SMG and RPG or something. Fuck that getting in close with a sniper rifle shit.

Its pretty much what a dmr is without the spamming.
Except you usually kill them before they get away lol.

If you really need to carry yourself through it, you could just snipe in a rush round, guaranteed sniper ribbon.

TheSeks

That's what I'm thinking. Rush is the way to go for the in-a-round. Surely the 5 kills on the roof isn't in a round at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom