• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never got to play any of the DLC for Battlefield 3 on PC but from the videos I've seen, the Armored Kill expansion with Tank Superiority mode looked like it was a lot of fun.

Battlefield 3: Armored Kill Gameplay Premiere Trailer (1080p):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6j5lXHNi8w

Armored Kill Launch Trailer (1080p):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB8lWvpp4ww

Damn, I really wanted to play Tank Superiority on the Bandar Desert and Armored Shield maps.
Bandar Desert was, and still is, the largest map in any BF game.

No chance for any of that in BF4 on PS4.

So when I do get a high end gaming rig later this year I'll have to get the release of BF3 that came with all the expansions.

It's not terrible, but I think it could have been better. Felt like the amount of tanks available to drive weren't enough for bigger player counts and there was too many soldiers running around doing the SOFLAM + Javelin combo. Although it really does have some great moments where everyone has a tank and actively fight for the control point.

Air Superiority in BF4 kinda sucks from what little I've played of it. Everybody and their mother seems to be using active radar missiles. And the crappy third person camera makes matters worse because you don't get to have a good sense of your surroundings which results in jets constantly crashing on each other.

Xyber

So I managed to do this the other day.

Lucky bastard...
12357653875_e498825daf_o.gif

All China rising assignments done. UCAV was a pta.
UCAV didn't bother me, it's the bloody bomber kills that are driving me nuts. In about 30 attempts I have 2 or 3 kills.

I think I may ahve posted this back a long time ago, but I need some tips for support/lmg loadout.

For long range/med/short range what should I be using? I have a m249 unlocked from singleplayer, and up to the PKP in multiplayer. Need to know what kind of attachments I should be using.
I hated all LMGs, but then I tried a very unusual setup and love it:

Chinese QBB LMG
Suppressor
Ergo grip
IRNV 2x scope
Smoke grenades
Ammo box
C4

Go full auto when firing (it's very controllable) and don't be afraid to throw smoke grenades (you can spam them endlessly if you drop an ammo box first) at your (or their) feet if things look tough. I find this setup very effective despite seeming very whacky. I only tried the IRNV scope because I got it in an early battle pack for this gun, but now it's my standard Support load out.

I know it's probably been said before but holy shit is the MTAR a game changer. I've been pretty much averaging 20-5 on games straight running & gunning (on Rush). Got everything else unlocked that I've wanted to use but I always find myself coming back to it. The multi-kill king.

Wonder how soon it'll take Dice to pull a BF3/FAMAS nerf on it. But yeah, insane.

terrible

Banned
I know it's probably been said before but holy shit is the MTAR a game changer. I've been pretty much averaging 20-5 on games straight running & gunning (on Rush). Got everything else unlocked that I've wanted to use but I always find myself coming back to it. The multi-kill king.

Wonder how soon it'll take Dice to pull a BF3/FAMAS nerf on it. But yeah, insane.

It seems fairly well balanced to me. It doesn't perform well after 50M or so in my opinion which makes up for the fact that it tears things apart up close. It's almost a shotgun in carbine form lol. I'd take at least three other carbines over it myself. The Ace 52, AK 5C, and ACW-R.

Returning to this and BF3 this week, after a fairly long absence from both over frustrations with getting wrecked every time.

Got back into Borderlands 2 recently, loving how fluid it feels with the pad and that I can lean back comfortably from the computer. Thought it might help to play BF in that way and chill out a little. I know I can't expect most games to be that good, but BF seems below average to me. There isn't even 'use gamepad' option in the menus, you can set gamepad buttons for actions etc. but you can't navigate most of the menus with it (e.g., loadouts).

Stepping well away from the debate on which is 'better', has anyone got any experience with gamepads in this game or BF3? Is it even worth bothering with, assuming I don't want to be competitive (solid 0.5 KDR >.>)?

The MTAR was one of the guns that got through almost every 'pistols only' server's filter. Very frustrating when you're trying to have a nice pistols game and some douchenozzle is wrecking you from distance.

CMDBob

What's GAF's opinion on the SVD-12? I've been using it for a bit with a Kobra, laser, suppressor and Ergo Grip (I plan on replacing the laser and ergo with a stubby and 2x magnifier when I can) but I've found it's pretty good, got hardly any recoil and still does good damage. (plus, love how it looks with flat urban paint, hell, love all the AK-12 based guns in BF4 for looks.)

Fergie

Banned
I'm confused on this situation and doesn't look like google helps.

I want to take advantage of the PS3 to PS4 upgrade deal, and I found a used PS3 version for £19.46 in the amazon marketplace, I'm not sure if it being used impacts the upgrade deal as I heard some copies of the PS3 version has a upgrade code? There's no MP code right?

Also if I buy the china rising version will that carry over?

Thanks.

So apparently, all you need to do to spam the UCAV is to have someone you know join a match as the commander, and have him drop an ammo crate down to you in a remote location. Does Dice not playtest their own game? I just got out of a match with two guys doing it on the other team. Had my worst few games since the game released( my skill level dropped by 140 playing these guys)
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/32/431773902489014400/875751245/
Probably can't post names, but they're the first two guys on the other team (plus their commander)I haven't really dealt with the CUAV before, but the splash radius on that thing is ridiculous, and it does insane damage to armored vehicles. They were sending them out so fast I could barely stay out in the open for long. Don't know why I stayed in the server so long, guess I was trying to prove they couldn't stop our team; I was wrong lol. I reported them but for some reason I doubt they'll get banned.

vixlar

Returning to this and BF3 this week, after a fairly long absence from both over frustrations with getting wrecked every time.

Got back into Borderlands 2 recently, loving how fluid it feels with the pad and that I can lean back comfortably from the computer. Thought it might help to play BF in that way and chill out a little. I know I can't expect most games to be that good, but BF seems below average to me. There isn't even 'use gamepad' option in the menus, you can set gamepad buttons for actions etc. but you can't navigate most of the menus with it (e.g., loadouts).

Stepping well away from the debate on which is 'better', has anyone got any experience with gamepads in this game or BF3? Is it even worth bothering with, assuming I don't want to be competitive (solid 0.5 KDR >.>)?

Well, I played with controller until one month ago, when I decided to learn to play properly with kb/m

I really had a blast playing with a controller. But it is a little frustrating to do it in PC. First, as you say, is the problem that you can't use the controller on loadoutor menus. Then, if you want to custom it so you can drive the tanks like BF3, the Left Trigger Button is ALWAYS zoom. So, when you want to go back, you zoom too. Speaking of tanks, I really like the new controllers for tanks, using both sticks to drive turret vehicles is really helpful, but I don't use it because it affects the normal vehicles, and I don't like it.

The other problem, if you use wireless controllers, is that if you don't turn it on before running the game, it won't be activated, and you can't use it. And I didn't find the option to activate the mic as you speak, so you don't need to press a button to be heared.

But in all, I had a blast playing with a controller. I can say that my game has improved since I got to kb/m, but in the end, is how you enjoy the game. :)

Shadybiz

Also if I buy the china rising version will that carry over?

I am not sure about the rest of your question, but I can say with just about 100% certainty that China Rising on PS3 will NOT carry over to PS4. Source: A couple of gaffers who contacted EA about it after a Black Friday sale, and were stonewalled.

Well, I played with controller until one month ago, when I decided to learn to play properly with kb/m

I really had a blast playing with a controller. But it is a little frustrating to do it in PC. First, as you say, is the problem that you can't use the controller on loadoutor menus. Then, if you want to custom it so you can drive the tanks like BF3, the Left Trigger Button is ALWAYS zoom. So, when you want to go back, you zoom too. Speaking of tanks, I really like the new controllers for tanks, using both sticks to drive turret vehicles is really helpful, but I don't use it because it affects the normal vehicles, and I don't like it.

The other problem, if you use wireless controllers, is that if you don't turn it on before running the game, it won't be activated, and you can't use it. And I didn't find the option to activate the mic as you speak, so you don't need to press a button to be heared.

But in all, I had a blast playing with a controller. I can say that my game has improved since I got to kb/m, but in the end, is how you enjoy the game. :)
Thanks for the response! Pretty much what I expected as regards downsides. In fairness, Borderlands has the push-to-talk issue on controller as well. :(
I'm kinda doing it to brush up on my controller skills before maybe entering the console space again. If Destiny doesn't change soon to come to PC, I'll definitely have to buy a box for it. I played with KB/M up to now, but honestly haven't had much success one way or the other. :p

turnbuckle

So I finally really tried using the ACE 23 yesterday. In the worst of conditions (hardly any sleep, sick as a dog) I was able to have several of my best games ever. Set multiple personal records for number of kills in a match and overall felt like I had good control over what I was doing.

I don't want to use anything else now :p

AmyS

It's not terrible, but I think it could have been better. Felt like the amount of tanks available to drive weren't enough for bigger player counts and there was too many soldiers running around doing the SOFLAM + Javelin combo. Although it really does have some great moments where everyone has a tank and actively fight for the control point.

Well, I never played hardly any BF3 multiplayer at all. Almost zero. Probably three or four matches lasting a few min each, not even worth mentioning.

So getting a decent gaming PC, and getting the complete BF3 package, playing the MP maps that originally came with it and having all five DLC expansions would be like a whole new game for me, sans the SP campaign.

Still want to experience all the maps & modes in Back To Karkand, Close Quarters, Armored Kill, Aftermath and End Game.

Might even get to do that before any of the BF4 DLC beyond Second Assault (meaning Naval Strike, Dragon's Teeth and Final Stand) make it to non-premium PlayStation 4 owners.

Pastry

Banned
> Perform a headshot from a distance of 250m

Doing my head in on these. Can't land a shot that isn't 100m or less in an entire round. Going for body shots while sniping for the objective even in Rush while camping the armed crate. Ugh ugh ugh.

The best maps for me to get those shots were Rogue Transmission and Dawnbreaker. My longest headshot is 548m.

The best maps for me to get those shots were Rogue Transmission and Dawnbreaker. My longest headshot is 548m.
Don't forget to add lancang dam to that list. Roof campers are easily picked off one by one (588 meters on that map) you could go for 1000 from the spawn point too.

turnbuckle

Don't forget to add lancang dam to that list. Roof campers are easily picked off one by one (588 meters on that map) you could go for 1000 from the spawn point too.

The thing that worked best for me was going into domination and picking Lancang Dam. Getting 2 rounds of that and then 2 rounds of Zavod right after were great. Hainan in Domination works really well too if you start the match off as an engineer and blow the walls off the buildings. Plenty of easy pickings from outside the building that way.

Thanks for the response! Pretty much what I expected as regards downsides. In fairness, Borderlands has the push-to-talk issue on controller as well. :(
I'm kinda doing it to brush up on my controller skills before maybe entering the console space again. If Destiny doesn't change soon to come to PC, I'll definitely have to buy a box for it. I played with KB/M up to now, but honestly haven't had much success one way or the other. :p

Completely agree. Similar situation happened to me last night. I was trying out a new weapon, didn't like it, was getting frustrated with high skill on the other team, and I was quite tired.

I switched to the ACE 23 and went on a 19 kill streak. I died eventually because I was using my pistol. The rest of the night when I used the weapon was just like that. Such a manageable recoil/spread, very accurate, and just a nice weapon to fire.

You try to not use it because you want to give other weapons a shot, but when you come back to it, it delivers every time.

SHADES

Just seen on battlelog & reddit that origin may have accidentally revealed Second Assault release date for all other platforms...

http://i.imgur.com/HxugtEV.png

So 18thFeb, do you guys reckon there's any truth to this? I've been dying to play Caspian border on PS4 for months! Please be true,please be true...

bjscott05

Just seen on battlelog & reddit that origin may have accidentally revealed Second Assault release date for all other platforms...

http://i.imgur.com/HxugtEV.png

So 18thFeb, do you guys reckon there's any truth to this? I've been dying to play Caspian border on PS4 for months! Please be true,please be true...

Makes sense to me. The 18th would be a Tuesday, which is when PSN updates. I really hope it is accurate. Sooooo ready for some new maps...and custom servers (when are they coming on ps4?)

SHADES

Makes sense to me. The 18th would be a Tuesday, which is when PSN updates. I really hope it is accurate. Sooooo ready for some new maps...and custom servers (when are they coming on ps4?)

Agreed, the current rotation is stale & after playing Caspian on the XBone I can't wait for that map, all kinds of awesome :)

As much as I disliked rentaserver when it first popped up now I can't wait for custom maps/modes/tickets.

turnbuckle

I kind of think I want to just keep re-playing operation locker this weekend and use the XP boosters I have to hit the level cap. So long as I play the selfless medic healing and reviving people I predict that I'll be at the cap by Sunday at exactly 9:08 PM.

Or, I can just do some rush or conquest and be pitted against CheDom's team and rack up the melee ribbons. You hear that Che, I'm going hunting. Gimme them tags.

I know you broke your last PS4 when my superior tanking skills obliterated you, but please try to keep your composure. There's no shame in losing. Ok, there's a little shame.

I've put probably 270 hours into the game and only have 11-12 MVP Ribbons. My K/D ratio has exploded; risen all the way up to .84! In other words, I know what I'm talking about. I lose a lot, lol.

turnbuckle

Oh, and I don't know what I'm talking about. I was using the ACE 21 not the ACE 23. Not sure if one is better than the other. This is just another in a long line of embarrassments for me when it comes to this game. I'm a fucking idiot at BF4.

Timu

More like "new" maps if you know what I mean, lol, and ew Operation Metro.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
More like "new" maps if you know what I mean, lol, and ew Operation Metro.

Shut your damn mouth. Caspian and Oman are the best things BF4 is going to get. Calling it right now.

(And Oman would still be the best damn thing BF4 gets even if the other packs get good-to-great maps)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom