• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

I just beat the game tonight and woo what an adventure it was. My only complaint is that the adventure was too short lol.
glad there apparently lost witch trial which I'll try tomorrow.
. I like this game better than the first because I find all the weapons really fun and none of the chapters really lasted way too long like the Skyscraper chapter in Bayonetta 1 and thank god they got rid of the stupid instant death QTE. Haven't tried the Wii U version of Bayonetta 1 but I felt the second game also has faster loading times than the one I played on PS3.

Ending spoiler
did the ending of this game basically just looped back to bayonetta 1 again?

Ending spoiler
i think so, thats why i think the story is smart because you can play bayonetta from any number

dhevvatp.jpg
The Iron Lady strikes again.

Monocle

Ending spoiler
did the ending of this game basically just looped back to bayonetta 1 again?
ENDING SPOILERS
Balder loops back to finish the Witch Hunts and become the villain of Bayonetta 1. Everyone else continues life in the present-day timeline shown at the beginning and end of the game, where Balder and Jubileus are dead as a result of the events in Bayonetta 1.

The ending was really cool. I love how both games tie together. If we never get a Bayonetta 3 (we BETTER get a Bayonetta 3 damnit!!!), the series will at least feel "complete".

Man, Tag Climax is so awesome, such a great addition. With so much stuff to unlock, it's great to have a mode like this to hone your skills, earn halos AND play online.

Bayonetta 2 really is the full package. I couldn't be happier with this game. Having Bayonetta 1 included easily makes this one of the best video game purchases I have ever made.

random25

The ending was really cool. I love how both games tie together. If we never get a Bayonetta 3 (we BETTER get a Bayonetta 3 damnit!!!), the series will at least feel "complete".

Man, Tag Climax is so awesome, such a great addition. With so much stuff to unlock, it's great to have a mode like this to hone your skills, earn halos AND play online.

Bayonetta 2 really is the full package. I couldn't be happier with this game.

Given how much I'm enjoying this game, yeah I really hope for Bayonetta 3. Imagine a Bayonetta trilogy on Wii U? That would be awesome. Nintendo and PG, please!

Even if the combat is just as great as Bayo 2, with fine tuning on other aspects of the game, with an epilogue of sorts using other playable characters...that would be great.

Neiteio

Given how much I'm enjoying this game, yeah I really hope for Bayonetta 3. Imagine a Bayonetta trilogy on Wii U? That would be awesome. Nintendo and PG, please!

Even if the combat is just as great as Bayo 2, with fine tuning on other aspects of the game, with an epilogue of sorts using other playable characters...that would be great.
Imagine if Bayonetta 3 had a character-switching mechanic. So not only can you switch weapons mid-combo, you can tag in a separate character. :-D

Hashimoto said with Bayonetta 2, they had in mind how to fine tune the aspects of Bayonetta 1. But Bayonetta 3 would be a way bigger leap and more like a revolution.

Imagine if Bayonetta 3 had a character-switching mechanic. So not only can you switch weapons mid-combo, you can tag in a separate character. :-D
Funny that you mention this, because that's what you can in Oneechambara Z2.

random25

That combo potential would be huuuge! That would be crazy now that I think about it...

Hashimoto said with Bayonetta 2, they had in mind how to fine tune the aspects of Bayonetta 1. But Bayonetta 3 would be a way bigger leap and more like a revolution.

Whatever they decide to do to continue the series would be cool for me. Just seeing this great franchise continue after struggling to even get the sequel get funded just makes me happy. The game is in good hands, so no worries for me as to how they'll do the sequel, if they ever to decide to make one. Maybe they can make a Bayonetta game where Bayonetta is a supporting character while another Umbran Witch gets the lead, similar to Nero and Dante in DMC4.

Neiteio

OK, so I'm really digging undine (hands) and alruna (feet), now that I know how to switch between fire and ice with undine, and how to grab and slam with alruna. Seems like a good speed set to go along with my tried-and-true takemikazuchi/chain chomp combo.

One boss that doesn't get nearly enough love here is
Valor, A.K.A. the free-falling fight against the huge knight with the mile-long sword and face-shield.
Reminds me of the first Ridley encounter in Metroid Prime 3, and I like how the last part is all underwater. Amazing stuff. :)

I love the valor fight but its really easy, but it feels more like a bayonetta 1 boss fight

One boss that doesn't get nearly enough love here is
Valor, A.K.A. the free-falling fight against the huge knight with the mile-long sword and face-shield.
Reminds me of the first Ridley encounter in Metroid Prime 3, and I like how the last part is all underwater. Amazing stuff. :)

I really like him, he is a badass, but unfortunately he is easy. The music in his fight is just epic, one of my favorites.

correojon

That combo potential would be huuuge! That would be crazy now that I think about it...

What I would really love in a possible Bayo3 is "Weapon Offset", I mean, being able to continue your combo when switching weapons like in DmC instead of resetting like it does now. This would allow crazy stuff like P(Hammer)->K(Shuraba)->Switch weapons->P(Wicked Weave with Love is Blue). If you want to reset the combo yourself you could just shoot the guns, one single tap of the Y button could suffice.

And an active third weapon set, though it may become too confusing...

I wouldn´t really touch anything more from the combat system, it´s perfect and changing anything could make it worse.

JoeFenix

Fucking hell this camera during the rival fight on chapter IV....

Going for Pure Platinum on Infinite Climax and on the final part of the fight the camera just INSISTS on not looking at the opponent, it just wants to make sure you see all the awesome stuff going on in the background instead.

Yeah the spectacle is hype and all but letting me see my opponent is just a TINY bit more important. Especially when he has so many instant teleport moves that you have to dodge.

It's a really cool fight but the background is way too busy and the camera too sloppy to make this feel good at that level of play. Sure you can cheese it with items and accessories but doing it clean is just infuriating. I have the fight down to a science but the camera keeps screwing me over.

Oh well, still having a blast with the game but they definitely ended up on the wrong side of the spectacle versus gameplay line during that part of the fight.

tim1138

Started this last night after finishing the first game over the weekend. I'm already doing much better, having earned silver trophies for the first few levels. I'm so glad Nintendo saved this series, it is an absolute blast.

How do I deal with Sloth? Punk ass keeps running away and I can barely get any hits on him when I do get witch time. I'd rather fight 2 pairs of gracious and glorious than this fucker.

fred

More impressive in that fight is
when you dodge his slash into witch time, and you actually have a moment where the water's been removed by the swing of his blade.

Wow, didn't notice that!

One thing I noticed last night as far as amazing attention to detail goes is that whenever you turn into the panther you can hear the panther panting when she runs.

They really should teach this sort of stuff when doing Game Design courses. For me, good game design comprises of two VERY important things: 1) Getting the basics right (and this rarely happens) and 2) Including nice little touches that make you think, 'whoa, that's pretty cool!'.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
So as far as I remember in Bayonetta 1 you could quit the game to title screen and retry verses if you were not satisfied with the ranking. However, in Bayo 2 I can't really get this to work. It works fine in the Muspelheim portals, but not in regular verses. The game autosaves before it displays the ranking. I'm not really that neurotic about pure plats but just now I ruined a run where 11 verses where a pure plat and one was "only" a platinum because my combo score was too low. And I know the general rule is to not drop your combo and don't take damage for a pure plat, but I didn't drop my combo. The score was just not high enough, which I only found out after the autosave.

Any way to circumvent this?

Jintor

I love the new weapons but it feels like almost all of them are too slow for for the way I play against human sized boss enemies :(

JoeFenix

So as far as I remember in Bayonetta 1 you could quit the game to title screen and retry verses if you were not satisfied with the ranking. However, in Bayo 2 I can't really get this to work. It works fine in the Muspelheim portals, but not in regular verses. The game autosaves before it displays the ranking. I'm not really that neurotic about pure plats but just now I ruined a run where 11 verses where a pure plat and one was "only" a platinum because my combo score was too low. And I know the general rule is to not drop your combo and don't take damage for a pure plat, but I didn't drop my combo. The score was just not high enough, which I only found out after the autosave.

Any way to circumvent this?

You can quit to title screen and make a copy of your save file before a challenging verse.

Just reload the copy if you fail to meet the requirements and overwrite the save file where you screwed up so you can keep trying indefinitely.

I use it if there's a boss at the end of a chapter or a verse with really strict requirements.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
You can quit to title screen and make a copy of your save file before a challenging verse.

Just reload the copy if you fail to meet the requirements and overwrite the save file where you screwed up so you can keep trying indefinitely.

I use it if there's a boss at the end of a chapter or a verse with really strict requirements.

Wow, good idea. Sounds like kind of a hassle in the long run, but it doesn't seem like we're getting a retry button in these kind of games any time soon. Thanks!

JoeFenix

Wow, good idea. Sounds like kind of a hassle in the long run, but it doesn't seem like we're getting a retry button in these kind of games any time soon. Thanks!

Yeah the ranking systems are heavily flawed in P* games, it's definitely possible to get PP without ever retrying and it feels great to get them that way on the highest difficulties but for certain chapters it's just more annoying than fun.

Kouriozan

There is still much more to do with Inferno.
Plus you fight Jubileus and
Aesir
, only Queen Sheba left!

Other than a gifted few, most pure platinum runs consist of stitched together pp verses. It'd be cool if after you discovered each verse you could load them individually and just run those. If you're at that point you probably found everything you'd want. The option should at least exist anyway. Platinum must know how people are going about this.

Skittles

I love the new weapons but it feels like almost all of them are too slow for for the way I play against human sized boss enemies :(
double rakshasa is the only way to go if you want speed. Was the only weapon effective at high speed fights with the lumen sage.

JoeFenix

Other than a gifted few, most pure platinum runs consist of stitched together pp verses. It'd be cool if after you discovered each verse you could load them individually and just run those. If you're at that point you probably found everything you'd want. The option should at least exist anyway. Platinum must know how people are going about this.

I wouldn't mind having a very limited amount of retries per chapter, something like 3 would feel fair. Has to be done in 1 sitting otherwise you can't get PP. No quitting out or reloading checkpoints.

But honestly I feel like P* just want to let people do whatever they please. They HAVE to know that some weapons are completely overpowered and that some accessories and items just break the balance but they let us use them without any penalty to scoring anyway.

Seems like they give us their requirements and then they just let us decide how we go about getting them. It's definitely not something I'm the biggest fan of to be honest but at this point it's just the way it's gonna stay I guess...

I always have fun going for those ranks regardless and I tend to end up good enough at the games to do mostly all of it without any retries.

I'd love to read a blog post or something from P* that talks about this subject though, would be an interesting read for sure!

Still chugging along in Bayo 1 before jumping into 2. Its killing me, but I'm having an absolute blast. Only played maybe 5 hours of the first one on the PS3 last gen.

Clean Pure Platinum Chapter IV boss fight on Infinite Climax. No Cheese.

He has a ton of really fast attacks so it's definitely challenging to keep track of him with all the chaos going on in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlCa6WCJXek&list=UU3sONKuis8riimAIS-j9Dtg

Good stuff dude. Wish I saw this before I fought him the first time on Infintie Climax! Only other PP video I saw of that fight involved using the Bracelet of Time.

I just did him again using Undine and I did much better than my first time.

I wish Enzo was an unlockable character.

It would certainly be a challenge.

You know, I was thinking about how great the supporting characters in the Bayonetta games are the other day. Even Enzo. You have Rodan and Jeanne too that could easily have their own spin-off titles. Compared to supporting character in the likes of Devil May Cry... Nah.

Well, I might play a Mary/Lady spin-off.

You know, I was thinking about how great the supporting characters in the Bayonetta games are the other day. Even Enzo. You have Rodan and Jeanne too that could easily have their own spin-off titles. Compared to supporting character in the likes of Devil May Cry... Nah.

Well, I might play a Mary/Lady spin-off.

I would play all these games.

hao chi

holy shit infinite climax is real. got all platinum on 3rd climax but cant even beat the prologue on infinite climax

I'm not going to lie, I was getting rekt on Infinite Climax, and when I got to I think Chapter IX, I decided to practice on 3rd Climax some more.

NSIC Sloths scare me. :(

Top Bottom