• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to have to have so many horrible shit thrown at you at the end of the IV witch trial?
Really 3 major consecutive bosses mixed in the middle with fucking grace and glory and the fucking dogs?

Lumen sage fucks me because the dogs and grace an glory take away all my life with lucky shots before getting to him.
Then sometimes I can do perfectly demon woman and
lotr
and others they hit me. So fucking on those is starting the level again.
And its soooo long.

I was doing great this one last time and even killed grace before glory came, but the fucker decided to make me fail every single one of the witch times and comboing me.

Neiteio

Except for the gym and kimono outfits. Those were my favorites. :(
Oh yeah, the gym outfit was great. Make it $1 DLC, Nintendo! Also, would've been cool to have a witch-walking fight where you change from walls to floor to ceiling like Jeanne 1 and 3 in the first Bayonetta.

But like I said, Bayonetta 2 is just about perfect to me. A Top 20 GOAT for me. Possibly the best game so far this generation.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on Chapter 8 and holy shit this game is amazing. So much better than the 1st game!

If you played and enjoyed the first one wait til you get to chapter 14. That chapter is seriously awesome and leads right into other awesome ones. The pace/scale in Platinum Games is nuts.

But yeah, chapter 14 has some major goosebumping going on when
Bayonetta meets her mother in the past and she's a fucking badass fighting bosses in mech suits.

fred

Fucking hell, Chapter XII was absolutely FUCKING INSANE!!!!!

I don't know why but I'm really struggling to string my combos together compared to the first game and I'm also getting hit REALLY often.

hAbcjHl.gif

Fuck. Game of the year. Whether or not I like it more than Wonderful 101 is yet to be determined, but that means little because my love for that game is frightening. But this is definitely one of the best action games of all time. I didn't like the first Bayonetta quite as much as Devil May Cry 3, but this fuckin' game is better than any of those. I'll admit that it's a little set-piece happy, but it's also had a share of just wandering around. I think it's been paced extremely well so far.

What scares me is that I'm still not that far in. I just hit chapter VIII I think. Knowing Platinum I've not even seen the best of this yet.

Boogiepop

Just beat the game on 2nd Climax, which was my first run through, looks like it took me around 8 hours. Not going to bother with the bonus chapters for now, but maybe in the future I'll come back for those and higher difficulties, the rest of the unlockables, etc. I definitely enjoyed it, though perhaps I should've went with 3rd Climax as the game felt a tad easy outside a few of the bonus fights with especially tricky conditions. And much as there was fun stuff there I would've liked a little more oomph out of the final boss perhaps.

Still, great game and I'm sure I'll come back to it eventually when I have a less monstrous backlog!
And though it may be blasphemous to say in here, I don't think it dethroned W101 for me. Still a great game though, and I'd be curious to see how they compare at high level play rather than the middle of the road difficulty I tackled them at.

Edit: How is the tag stuff, BTW? I may actually mess with that some before I put the game down completely if it's worthwhile. And it's online play only, no local? Or am I wrong there?

Yuterald

Still on my first run of 3rd Climax. About to start Chapter 10. Been taking me awhile to see this game to the end because of other responsibilities/interests (but I've also been replaying previous chapters like mad). Enjoying it, but not as blown away as I was when I first played the original. Digging some/most changes/improvements, but mixed on other things. Hmm...hope the game ends strong.

Edit: How is the tag stuff, BTW? I may actually mess with that some before I put the game down completely if it's worthwhile. And it's online play only, no local? Or am I wrong there?

Tag stuff is the easiest way to earn a ridiculous amount of halos in extremely short time frames, assuming you're good at comboing or can handle hard enemies all coming at you at once. It is online only, but you can play with a CPU if you don't want to deal with other people. It can be frustrating when the other player disconnects because they're losing.

You know what?
Fuck witch trial IV.

Ive becoming worse the last times i tried. FUCK THE DOGS

Put it down and back away mate. Bayo's like Dark Souls--get frustrated, get sloppy, get rekt.

Coda

hAbcjHl.gif

Fuck. Game of the year. Whether or not I like it more than Wonderful 101 is yet to be determined, but that means little because my love for that game is frightening. But this is definitely one of the best action games of all time. I didn't like the first Bayonetta quite as much as Devil May Cry 3, but this fuckin' game is better than any of those. I'll admit that it's a little set-piece happy, but it's also had a share of just wandering around. I think it's been paced extremely well so far.

What scares me is that I'm still not that far in. I just hit chapter VIII I think. Knowing Platinum I've not even seen the best of this yet.

I think what makes the game special is the transitions between those peaceful exploration moments and the huge set piece moments such as when Glamor reappears again in Chapter 1: Noatun, The City Of Genesis, uprooting and destroying an alleyway in Noatun. That part gets me every time.

The surfing level gets me every time too. It's sweet that it's one verse in a lot of ways. I bombed the first time playing the stage and got stone, my body wasn't ready apparently. I replayed it with a fresh mind and some prior knowledge, got Platinum on the second try no problem. Felt so good.

The whole section when you punch the boss underwater and there's that whole vertigo effect is so amazing. Easily the most jaw dropping section of the game.

ghibli99

Just started this today after finishing the first one on 360. LOVING IT. I do like that 2nd Climax is easier than Normal in Bayo 1, and yet it seems harder to Pure Platinum. For me, anyway. If this is true, I think it's cool in that the main game isn't as frustrating, but *mastering* it will take much more effort. The vibrant look of the game is wonderful. So full of style, and lack of screen tearing is a huge plus. WTG, Platinum... I can already tell this is going to be a GOTY contender for me.

Neiteio

One boss that doesn't get nearly enough love here is
Valor, A.K.A. the free-falling fight against the huge knight with the mile-long sword and face-shield.
Reminds me of the first Ridley encounter in Metroid Prime 3, and I like how the last part is all underwater. Amazing stuff. :)

Valor, A.K.A. the free-falling fight against the huge knight with the mile-long sword and face-shield.
Reminds me of the first Ridley encounter in Metroid Prime 3, and I like how the last part is all underwater. Amazing stuff. :)

More impressive in that fight is
when you dodge his slash into witch time, and you actually have a moment where the water's been removed by the swing of his blade.

Neiteio

More impressive in that fight is
when you dodge his slash into witch time, and you actually have a moment where the water's been removed by the swing of his blade.
Whoa, I didn't notice that! :-O Man, the attention to detail is insane.

Now then, I have a picture request: Can someone take a picture of Bayonetta in the standard blue schoolgirl outfit, wearing four chainsaws (two on arms, two on feet)? I'd do it myself, but I need to buy a second pair of chainsaws, and I'm busy with work-related matters tonight.

I just want to confirm that a schoolgirl with four chainsaws looks as cool as it sounds. This is an urgent matter of national security.

Mine01

I blazed trough bayonetta 1 this last weekend, and now im playing bayo 2, reached the chapter where
you fight on the falling building alongside rosa, wich, i think, is the first fight of bayo 1? I got goosebumps while i was connecting all the dots.

Awesome game, easily my goty, maybe even my GOTG, i mean, after this everything looks so dull, boring and slow. I hate bayo 2, now im spoiled :(.

I just want to confirm that a schoolgirl with four chainsaws looks as cool as it sounds. This is an urgent matter of national security.

Looks pretty good. Sorry for taking these with my phone, I don't know how to do screenshots with the WiiU.

Also, how do you make the hammer work for you? Feels so sluggish whenever I'm using it.

Infinite climax question:

Is it true that some bosses like the Lumen Sage (2nd encounter in particular) only take damage in witch time? I just beat him and it really seemed like the only strategy that worked was to spam gunfire until he attacks then go for a dodge into witch time and pull off a short combo before retreating. Every other attack I would do while not in witch time would just pass right through him. Any tips?

Infinite climax question:

Is it true that some bosses like the Lumen Sage (2nd encounter in particular) only take damage in witch time? I just beat him and it really seemed like the only strategy that worked was to spam gunfire until he attacks then go for a dodge into witch time and pull off a short combo before retreating. Every other attack I would do while not in witch time would just pass right through him. Any tips?

You can definitely hit him outside of Witch Time, he just dodges as well as most players do.

Neff

Best boss in the game, imo. Nothing too technical, but really flashy and exciting to play/look at.

Neiteio

Looks pretty good. Sorry for taking these with my phone, I don't know how to do screenshots with the WiiU.
Thanks for the screenshots. I just took a break and unlocked them myself. I uploaded the screens by hitting Home, going to Internet Browser, going to abload.de (since there's no compression there), and then hitting the upload button (which will be in German, of course). From there I copy/pasted it into a private message to myself on NeoGAF in a separate tab.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01a8u6n.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_019nu2n.jpg

Also, here's one I call Four Swords Adventures!

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01l0utp.jpg

And here's one I call "The Dragon" (note the blur is from the chainsaws' heat distortion):

wiiu_screenshot_tv_019eomm.jpg

Glitchesarecool said:
Also, how do you make the hammer work for you? Feels so sluggish whenever I'm using it.
For the hammer, just be rhythmic with your tapping. A single swing can stagger many enemies, even a whole mob of them.

Astral Dog

Still on my first run of 3rd Climax. About to start Chapter 10. Been taking me awhile to see this game to the end because of other responsibilities/interests (but I've also been replaying previous chapters like mad). Enjoying it, but not as blown away as I was when I first played the original. Digging some/most changes/improvements, but mixed on other things. Hmm...hope the game ends strong.

:/

The ending is the most divisive thing about the game

DukeBobby

Good fight, but he didn't deserve his own chapter, in my opinion. He was far too easy, and at the end I was like, "Wait, that's it?".

Yuterald

:/

The ending is the most divisive thing about the game

Well, Chapter XIII is pretty much what I wanted to see more of from this game. Going to stop there and call it a night. Will probably finish by the end of this coming weekend. I really like how this game started, but I wasn't really feeling some of the mid-game areas...
Basically, anything that has to do with Hell.
It's really hard for me to describe what's off-putting about this game at times, but I think I can safely summarize it as it just simply being a case of a difference in directors. It's not that I haven't been enjoying myself throughout either, because I have been. While this game does do a lot of things better than the original, it's missing something that I haven't quite got the words for yet...

Neiteio

Kafka can turn some battles into a rather manageable war of attrition. I beat Masked Lumen in Witch Trials II by only using Kafka. Just go pew-pew-pew and then dodge when he shoots fireballs or throws his spear or uses his hyper beam or jumps at you as the wolf. Then pew-pew in witch time before flipping away. :-D

How the hell do you do the first Muspelheim in chapter ix? The challenge is killing enemies adds to the timer. I can get pretty far sometimes but then other times they scatter and I gotta chase fools. Best I did was had the last enemy on a sliver of health but my Umbran Climax ran out and he wouldn't attack and kept using that block shit of his. Had like 5s on the board too.

I didn't get all the record pieces in chapter 8 though. Is the weapon they make good for this?

How the hell do you do the first Muspelheim in chapter ix? The challenge is killing enemies adds to the timer. I can get pretty far sometimes but then other times they scatter and I gotta chase fools. Best I did was had the last enemy on a sliver of health but my Umbran Climax ran out and he wouldn't attack and kept using that block shit of his. Had like 5s on the board too.

I didn't get all the record pieces in chapter 8 though. Is the weapon they make good for this?

I used the chainsaws for that one and got it pretty easy. You get the pieces for it in chapter 10 I think

Neiteio

It's the hammer, which many people find sluggish, but which has become my favorite weapon at the moment. Nothing is more satisfying than swinging through a crowd of heavily armored centaurs and seeing their armor break away like fragile eggshells.

bayo2-myshot014yunq.png

I used the chainsaws for that one and got it pretty easy. You get the pieces for it in chapter 10 I think

Thought I might need something else. I was using Love Is Blue on hands on feet (I enjoy the moveset too much) and Chernobog but that shit is super slow. Wish I had the shotguns from the first game. The damage buff to the standard moveset was godlike.

Do wicked weaves do less damage in this game? It feels like using DO to get straight to them doesn't work near as well. I read in the blog, can't remember when that they were trying to get around people over relying on PKP but I'm not sure if this is the result. Witch Time seems shorter too. Not complaining since that was a free full combo before and now you gotta make sure you dodge that next incoming move. Spices things up a bit.

It's the hammer, which many people find sluggish, but which has become my favorite weapon at the moment. Nothing is more satisfying than swinging through a crowd of heavily armored centaurs and seeing their armor break away like fragile eggshells.

bayo2-myshot014yunq.png

I need dat.

Holy shit Chain Chomp

Revven

Chain Chomp is literally the best kept secret unlockable in a video game in such a long time, holy shit. I haven't been that surprised by unlocking something since the '90s.

Anyway, I started the Witch Trials and holy shit at the second one -- I def. need to finish getting all the upgrades (health, magic meter) and anything else I missed + additional accessories. Going to go back to some chapters to get halos and stuff.

The Star Fox alternate is amazing, especially in the Prologue (seriously if you haven't played the Prologue with it you NEED to -- not even going to spoil it, GO DO IT).

Can't wait to get back to playing this some more tomorrow, my lawd.

Monocle

Chain Chomp is literally the best kept secret unlockable in a video game in such a long time, holy shit. I haven't been that surprised by unlocking something since the '90s.

Anyway, I started the Witch Trials and holy shit at the second one -- I def. need to finish getting all the upgrades (health, magic meter) and anything else I missed + additional accessories. Going to go back to some chapters to get halos and stuff.

The Star Fox alternate is amazing, especially in the Prologue (seriously if you haven't played the Prologue with it you NEED to -- not even going to spoil it, GO DO IT).

Chapter 16 too.

I've played the game for around 12 hours, it's been me mostly playing Chapter 1-6 in Climax 1/2/3 and playing online, I already bought almost everything I can and it's been amazing.

This might be the best action game ever made, I have at least gotten a Gold in everything and I'm just having the fun of my life replaying levels and destroying everything.

Yuterald

Yo, is there a Climactic Battle or Tables Turn equivalent in this game? I'm nearing the end and I feel like the bosses haven't had these proper track change moments I was hoping for/expecting. Maybe it's just a Kamiya-game thing at this point?

Neiteio

And -you- should replay Chapter 16 with the Star Fox alternate. That first section becomes something truly special. :)

Neiteio

The quest to find the coolest-looking outfit/weapons combo is maddening in a game full of cool-looking outfit/weapon combos.

I think police officer Jeanne (black) with hammer and chomp is close... So is pink dress Bayonetta with those same weapons... But red gekka Bayonetta with chainsaws on feet and bow in hand is really cool... But so is... (goes on and on and on)

bayo2-myshot014yunq.png

Honestly imo, I would replace that hammer with the whip. I think it would look much better.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

bayo2-myshot014yunq.png
For some reason this is the best screenshot ive ever seen.

Marcus

holy shit infinite climax is real. got all platinum on 3rd climax but cant even beat the prologue on infinite climax

Top Bottom