• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

imae

Is their a way to check which chapters you didn't get a gold rating on? Looking to get the bracelet.

Yeah select any chapter from the chapter selection screen, then goto Menu -> Play History.

I think you have to finish the story at least once first, in order to get the Play History option to appear.

IKizzLE

Yeah select any chapter from the chapter selection screen, then goto Menu -> Play History.

I think you have to finish the story at least once first, in order to get the Play History option to appear.
Cool beans. Thanks!
And on average, how many halos are people getting from completing 6 verses in tag climax. I tried it for the first time last night with a cpu partner and got 200k halos, which is a lot to me but I have no frame of reference.

What does the Bracelet of Time do? And what are the requirements for it?

Allows you to enter witch time whenever at a press of a button. Drains your magic pretty quickly and dodging into witch time won't work anymore. Also no Umbran Climax.

Just get at least gold on every chapter in 2nd climax or above.

Neiteio

Allows you to enter witch time whenever at a press of a button. Drains your magic pretty quickly and dodging into witch time won't work anymore. Also no Umbran Climax.

Just get at least gold on every chapter in 2nd climax or above.
Hmm, doesn't sound like something I'd actually use. I love dodging into witch time and using Umbran Climax.

Hmm, doesn't sound like something I'd actually use. I love dodging into witch time and using Umbran Climax.

Yeah I found it pretty situational in Bayo 1's NSIC or playing as Jeanne because I couldn't get the hang of Bat Within dodging. Now that I'm better at that, I'm not as pressed to get it this time around.

Still, it can be useful against a dodge happy boss.

I'll tip my hat on those who knows how to use Jeanne and gets platinum statues with her. I tried her in trial mode, and it's hard to time her beast within when I have so many enemies surrounding me. Even if I can do her beast within in practice mode, again it's hard when your surrounded and against other types of enemies.

I was unfortunately too late to see the comments on the prima guide before it was shipped.

Saying that it's inferior to the Future Press guide would be a massive understatement: this is hands down the shittiest video game guides I've ever bought.

It's ugly as hell, there is no index, no even a truly useful table of contents. The typeface is huge with usually no more than 3 parapgraphs per page, the maps are just a basic layout and no way of actually reading the freaking it without referring to a seemingly random numbered list. It's so bad that I will probably check gamefaqs or the wiki to hunt my missing crows/pieces and stuff. I also haven't found any strategy worth a damn.

Finally combo lists are a step down from the in game list since there are no icons, just litteral inputs like [air] 1 rotation P and basically no comments besides damage value.

A real shame. Avoid at all costs.

Ugh, it takes ages to get a tag climax match with randoms going. Then I finally find someone and he leaves after the first verse because he lost...

I had little difficultly convincing one of my co-workers that they need this game after I showed them the full demo posted on YouTube, they went out and straight up bought a Wii U the next day.

Fantastic games can do wonders for a console, glad I kept the faith in Nintendo throughout 2011-2013 when it was slow going and not looking pretty.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Bracelet of Time is extreme useful for combos that wouldn't work otherwise.

Bracelet of time is the only way to play bayo 2 like bayonetta.

You shouldn't be turning witch time on for full combos. You should be flashing it on your wicked weaves to make them more powerful. Or using it for the witch time only enemy states like throwing enemies with the whip or relaunches

It's basically a second viable "groove" in the game imo, parallel to unbran climax.

Bracelet of time is the only way to play bayo 2 like bayonetta.

You shouldn't be turning witch time on for full combos. You should be flashing it on your wicked weaves to make them more powerful. Or using it for the witch time only enemy states like throwing enemies with the whip or relaunches

It's basically a second viable "groove" in the game imo, parallel to unbran climax.

Or keep enemies in the air for something like a Tetsuzankou/Heel Stomp loop. It's really something awesome to experiment with. Combined with Climax Bracelet kinda gamebreaking but really fun.

Timeaisis

Speaking of the Moon...I thought it was supposed to activate Witch Time?

I'm seemingly doing it because there is a circle that appears in front of Bayo the direction of the damage, but Witch Time doesn't get activated. Unless that circle indicates damage or something, but I never noticed that before getting the Moon.

^Only a perfect parry activates WT. Do it too early and you get a block instead. You gotta do it later to get a parry off.
I bought Moon of Kalaa, instantly regret the decision, Witch Time is just so much easier to execute in a chaotic battle.

As said, it doesn't replace Witch Time so you shouldn't regret it. It just adds more options for you.

Like if you're using Undine for example, while you're shooting off ice or fire you can tap the analog stick to block or parry attacks without letting go. Better than using a dodge in that situation where you have to stop firing.

Squishy3

I'm seemingly doing it because there is a circle that appears in front of Bayo the direction of the damage, but Witch Time doesn't get activated. Unless that circle indicates damage or something, but I never noticed that before getting the Moon.
You have to parry as soon as the attack actually hits Bayonetta, in that the damage indicator has to appear. (The rose appearing on Bayo)

Meowster

Alright. My Wii-U finally arrived today, which means I can start playing Bayonetta II. Gonna be a fun ride, the first game was such a perfect game!

correojon

You only get witch time if you parry at the last second. You'll also perform an automatic counter attack.

Timeaisis

^Only a perfect parry activates WT. Do it too early and you get a block instead. You gotta do it later to get a parry off.

As said, it doesn't replace Witch Time so you shouldn't regret it. It just adds more options for you.

Like if you're using Undine for example, while you're shooting off ice or fire you can tap the analog stick to block or parry attacks without letting go. Better than using a dodge in that situation where you have to stop firing.

You have to parry as soon as the attack actually hits Bayonetta, in that the damage indicator has to appear. (The rose appearing on Bayo)

Ah, that makes sense. I must be blocking instead.

I did a replay of Bayo 1 since it had been years since I played it and it seems I had some pretty thick nostalgia goggles when it comes to Bayo 1. I said before that I couldn't choose between Bayo 1 & 2 but 2 is an improvement is basically every department and for me, the superior game. You really need to play the first game again to appreciate all the improvements Platinum made with the sequel.
You forgot to the two most important changes:

1) the framerate having been absolutely atrocious in Bayonetta 1 even fairly early on and it got progressively worse the further you advanced. 2 never gets as bad as its predecessor barring extreme situational circumstances, despite having a more relentless pace comparatively speaking and way more action happening at the same time. On top of 2 already feeling noticeably more responsive than 1.

2) the camera only sporadically gets in the way, in large part thanks to Platinum being wise enough to not design its levels with terribly claustrophobic passages, the soft lock-on being snappier and the game knowing when to zoom out. Playing through Bayonetta 2 was painless after witnessing 1's camera spazz out so many times.

I'll be honest, outside of the moment-to-moment combat (which was great) I didn't like Bayonetta 1 too much due to its many shortcomings (some of which crippling), so imagine my surprise when its sequel actually cemented itself as my personal all-time favorite in the genre so far. Bayonetta 2 really does feel like culmination of everything Platinum has learned as a studio to date, and I'm hard-pressed to think of anything that truly bothered me in 2 (save for my own incompetence) or an element that Bayonetta 1 executed in a superior fashion. Literally the only two things that come to mind are 2's omission of a dance-off video (boo!) and the enemy spawns on higher difficulties; Verses were set up differently going from Normal to Hard difficulty in 1, made obvious as soon as you started the prologue and this is sadly missing from 2. There's also something to be said about 2 almost having too much enemy variety, but primarily due to how fun they are; a couple of really cool non-boss encounters hardly receive enough screen-time for you to familiarize with their moves and to ponder over various strategies, but I guess that's more or less balanced out by Tag Climax.

Being able to zoom-out the camera in Bayo2 was more useful than I thought it was gonna be. And while the framerate is rarely 60, there's not a single instance of Bayo2 being as bad as Bayo 1's prologue, or the city on fire sections, or fighting on the back of the trucks, or multiple areas during the climb up the tower, etc.

Monocle

The Bracelet of Time is insanely useful though. The ability to pop Witch Time on command lets you:

- Nullify any attack
- See the enemy's followup attack coming a mile away (really useful against fast rival bosses)
- Grapple anything with the whips (makes the hardest difficulty an absolute joke because you can keep tripping up the largest enemies and fastest bosses)
- Freeze enemies with the ice throwers more easily
- Wreck everything with the chainsaws
- Open up the combo system by making enemies relaunchable

The Bracelet of Time is probably the best accessory in the game because it nearly matches the defensive and offensive potential of the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa and the Earrings of Ruin, while offering all the other benefits tied to Witch Time. (Also, thanks to the Link costume, you don't even have to waste a slot on the Moon to use its parry/counter.)

I like to swap in the Bracelet after I've built up a full magic bar or two. Coupled with the Evil Harvest Rosary, or better yet, the Infernal Communicator, it's devastating.

Bracelet of Time/Evil Harvest Bombs >>> Infinite Climax/Witch Trials 5

Dodge, get bombs, gain magic, activate and combo/whip grab everything, laugh manically as health bars disappear

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Evil Harvest Rosary was always cheap though

That's how everyone beat NSIC in the first game too

Scrub tier Accessory imo

It shouldn't give you bombs off of attacks that wouldn't give you Witch Time

Akiller

edb3cd6f4d.png

Not bad, considering i've just started the game for the first time xD
Omg the references!
Rodin:"Diplomacy has failed"
The "Valley of God" bag ahahah

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Evil Harvest Rosary was always cheap though

That's how everyone beat NSIC in the first game too

Scrub tier Accessory imo

It shouldn't give you bombs off of attacks that wouldn't give you Witch Time

I'd say the Mech and Parry Accessory are bigger scrub tier Accessories :p

With the Witch time and rosary you are limited to dodges only and only can use witch time manually so there can be moments where you would want it but don't have it if you don't manage your meter well

Nyoro SF

With the Witch time and rosary you are limited to dodges only and only can use witch time manually so there can be moments where you would want it but don't have it if you don't manage your meter well

This game doesn't let you keep meter between chapters? Returning it to Amazon right now

obscure joke

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

You say limited like dodging isn't the stronger/less risky option.

and meter management has nothing to do with Evil Harvest Rosary, which is the only accessory i'm criticizing. Bracelet of Time just negates its only drawback. (Which is why people used it in NSIC in the first game, since you don't have Witch Time anyways there's no reason not to use it)

The mech is dumb too but Evil Harvest Rosary isn't even playing the game as far as I'm concerned.

In the first game it at least prevented you from scoring well, but Idk if that's true in 2.

ghibli99

Oh man, THIS GAME. I can't believe how good it is! I just played through Chapter 1 today, and I'm blown away at how improved this is over Bayo 1 in terms of looks, design, exploration, variety, and overall pacing. Performance definitely could be better, and what do I have to do to just get a Restart Chapter option? :p

Anyway, I also finally Pure Platinum'd the Prologue, Verse 1. It was the one I kept getting regular Platinum on because of my combos:

http://youtu.be/7PKPwHAuVME

Go easy on me... I've only been playing Bayonetta in total for about 2 weeks. :) Anyway, on to Chapter 2!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You say limited like dodging isn't the stronger/less risky option.

and meter management has nothing to do with Evil Harvest Rosary, which is the only accessory i'm criticizing. Bracelet of Time just negates its only drawback. (Which is why people used it in NSIC in the first game, since you don't have Witch Time anyways there's no reason not to use it)

The mech is dumb too but Evil Harvest Rosary isn't even playing the game as far as I'm concerned.

In the first game it at least prevented you from scoring well, but Idk if that's true in 2.

You still need to actually do combos and stuff, but it gives you a nice buffer as it makes them blow into the air

Top Bottom