• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Are you on, IKizzle?

Edit: Never mind. I don't like when I want to quick match, it takes time to wait for someone to accept my request. I'm very impatient.

DedValve

Banned
I'm turn between evil harvest, moon or the butterfly items.

I've grown to really love the butterfly's as a way to protect my health when it's low or save my score when I mess up and use the moon and harvest items in infrequently during gameplay.

Salamandra charge
A9JGV6a.png

Salamandra charge in Umbran Climax
A9JGV6a.png
A9JGV6a.png
A9JGV6a.png

Isn't there supposed to be a penalty for repeating combos? I'm doing this shit all day and getting platinums

Salamandra charge
A9JGV6a.png

Salamandra charge in Umbran Climax
A9JGV6a.png
A9JGV6a.png
A9JGV6a.png

Isn't there supposed to be a penalty for repeating combos? I'm doing this shit all day and getting platinums

They changed it to 50% point reduction for repeated combos/no wicked weaves instead of the 90/99% it was in Bayo 1

Timeaisis

So what is ya'lls favorite weapon combinations? I'm fond of the scythe and pistols on feet. Whip and swords is pretty fun, too.

Yuterald

Finished my first run tonight. It was a good time overall. Bayo 2 improved on a few things from the original, but it also didn't hit all the right marks that the first game nailed. I kind of have a lot to say about the game, but I think I'm too tired to post a wall of impressions. What I will say though is that I'm terribly disappointed by the "main" boss fights. It's not that any of the boss fights were bad or anything. There was an ass-ton of them and most if not all were pretty cool. It's just that I had certain expectations going into this game and they weren't really met to some degree.

Some Real-Talk about Vid Game Bosses
I'm actually extremely surprised to see people say that this game had better bosses than the original. I'm even more in shock to see people say that the original recycled bosses/assets too much because Bayo 2 is definitely at fault in that department (at times). I guess it comes down to personal preference. Aside from the removal of QTE bullshit (which is definitely a big bonus over the original) and the over abundance of humanoid-like battles (which again, some people may prefer to the large-sized demons/angels), the primary, giant-faced angels in this game don't hold a candle to the original four, personality or design-wise, in my opinion.

I think my main issue comes down to the introduction of the demons. Don't get me wrong, I love their designs and I really enjoyed fighting them (because the combat is so much fun), but there's something missing about them that I can't quite find words for at the moment. The original DMC is my go-to game when I think about character-based action games. When I say "go-to", I don't even necessarily mean "the game I want to play" when I'm in the mood for something like this. It's more like the game I enjoy thinking/talking about or referring to when it comes to this "genre". One thing I loved about the original DMC was how Kamiya and co. handled the bosses. The original's roster felt like a union. A group of baddies who each had their place amongst the rest, almost as if it was some sort of hierarchy. They all answered to Mundus, right? Well, the original Bayonetta carried that philosophy with its angels. The main four all answered to the big J. I really, REALLY liked that about both games and Bayonetta 2, unfortunately, doesn't carry that same philosophy (and it's all compounded by the fact that there's no Climactic Battle/Tables Turn track equivalent). =(

I could go into greater detail as to why I think the bestiary in this game was disappointing, but I'm probably in the minority here with my train of thought and my eyes are really heavy right now, so I'll just leave it at that.

Cool game though, ha!

JEKKI

grrrrr I hate the frikken chainsaw weapons in this game :(

so much damage, so much combo score,

it makes all the other weapons useless, thus doing Pure Platinum in this game is not very fun...

there was a large group of flying enemies I had to fight, killed them all with two different Whip combos, and I got a Silver rank for Combo score despite the other 2 being platinums... whatchu get for being able to kill an entire group of enemies at once I guess...

I tried using other weapons like guns... platinum everything except Time score coz they take too long to kill bad guys...

then there's the Hammer... I want to like this weapon but it's so slow it's impossible to finish any combos even with dodge offset!! I can only use it for command moves (->->P, <-->P, jump P, etc) and then immediately switch back to whatever my other set is

ugh, this game is a ton of fun but I really do like the first one better,

Bayo 1 was hecka fresh. One of my favorite games ever, I never wanted a sequel to it but now I have one and it's just more of the same.

DedValve

Banned
Finished my first run tonight. It was a good time overall. Bayo 2 improved on a few things from the original, but it also didn't hit all the right marks that the first game nailed. I kind of have a lot to say about the game, but I think I'm too tired to post a wall of impressions. What I will say though is that I'm terribly disappointed by the "main" boss fights. It's not that any of the boss fights were bad or anything. There was an ass-ton of them and most if not all were pretty cool. It's just that I had certain expectations going into this game and they weren't really met to some degree.

I'm actually extremely surprised to see people say that this game had better bosses than the original. I'm even more in shock to see people say that the original recycled bosses/assets too much because Bayo 2 is definitely at fault in that department (at times). I guess it comes down to personal preference. Aside from the removal of QTE bullshit (which is definitely a big bonus over the original) and the over abundance of humanoid-like battles (which again, some people may prefer to the large-sized demons/angels), the primary, giant-faced angels in this game don't hold a candle to the original four, personality or design-wise, in my opinion.

I think my main issue comes down to the introduction of the demons. Don't get me wrong, I love their designs and I really enjoyed fighting them (because the combat is so much fun), but there's something missing about them that I can't quite find words for at the moment. The original DMC is my go-to game when I think about character-based action games. When I say "go-to", I don't even necessarily mean "the game I want to play" when I'm in the mood for something like this. It's more like the game I enjoy thinking/talking about or referring to when it comes to this "genre". One thing I loved about the original DMC was how Kamiya and co. handled the bosses. The original's roster felt like a union. A group of baddies who each had their place amongst the rest, almost as if it was some sort of hierarchy. They all answered to Mundus, right? Well, the original Bayonetta carried that philosophy with its angels. The main four all answered to the big J. I really, REALLY liked that about both games and Bayonetta 2, unfortunately, doesn't carry that same philosophy (and it's all compounded by the fact that there's no Climactic Battle/Tables Turn track equivalent). =(

I could go into greater detail as to why I think the bestiary in this game was disappointing, but I'm probably in the minority here with my train of thought and my eyes are really heavy right now, so I'll just leave it at that.

Cool game though, ha!

Don't they though? There are 3 gods, one for angels (jubilee), one for humans (big bad in Bayo 2) and one for demons (Shiba?) and unless I'm mistaken Bayonetta uses the demon god as her final summon in Bayo 1.

OryoN

Finally was able to sink some quality time into Bayonetta 2 today. By the way, this is my first time with the franchise(not counting the Xbox 360 Bayo 1 demo a few yrs back). Well, I fnished it, and what a ultra climax ride it was! I played on normal(2nd Climax), but I'll definitely be replaying on the hardest level currently available. Because of how satisfying and varied the combat is, the potential replay value for this game seems very high, especially when you factor in all the cool extras goodies, challenges, and the desire to gain better trophies. I'm barely an average player(if not below), but I know I can get waaay better.

As a person who thoroughly enjoyed The Wonderful 101, I see myself putting more time into Bayo 2. Due to the nature of TW101(multiple unique lead characters, pitted against puzzle-based enemies), combat won't be as varied as Bayo 2. So while enemies had some great puzzle element to encourace the player to use specific characters at various moments, it also means you are therefore slightly limited in your core approach to many situations. This isn't a real issue for the first couple play-throughs, but I believe it does makes Bayonetta 2 the more replayable game by default. You just get in there and kick ass however you please! One thing is for certain though: TW101's ending moments may not be topped for a long time to come, if ever. IMO, the ending sequence in Bayonetta 2 was one of greatest I've seen since the aforementioned game - and it totally wrecks just about any other ending I've experienced - but it wasn't enough to dethrone TW101's.

Can't wait to start another play-through!

Monocle

it makes all the other weapons useless, thus doing Pure Platinum in this game is not very fun...

there was a large group of flying enemies I had to fight, killed them all with two different Whip combos, and I got a Silver rank for Combo score despite the other 2 being platinums... whatchu get for being able to kill an entire group of enemies at once I guess...

I tried using other weapons like guns... platinum everything except Time score coz they take too long to kill bad guys...

then there's the Hammer... I want to like this weapon but it's so slow it's impossible to finish any combos even with dodge offset!! I can only use it for command moves (->->P, <-->P, jump P, etc) and then immediately switch back to whatever my other set is

Bayo 1 was hecka fresh. One of my favorite games ever, I never wanted a sequel to it but now I have one and it's just more of the same.
...but better. Which is all any reasonable person can ask of a sequel.

You never wanted a Bayonetta sequel huh? I'm glad Platinum didn't feel the same way. Unlike with the original, I'm going to enjoy replaying each and every level of Bayonetta 2 many times thanks to the blessed absence of tedious minigames, lame environmental hazards, and bosses that look impressive but impose major limits on the combat system due to their sheer size.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So is there an image with all the bayo 2 costumes?

I can only find that one low res video that show cases the costumes + the nintendo ones but not the weapon costumes.

I'd love to know what I'm buying before I buy it and as far as I know there is no preview for couture bullets.

You know what'd be cool? If after you beat the game on infinite climax you were allowed to pick Moon River as your battle theme.

Adaren

There are so many misconceptions about how the scoring system works in this thread.

I just went through the entire first (long) verse of the Prologue as Jeanne w/ All 4 One hitting nothing but Punch and cancelling out of most of the Wicked Weaves. Every single Punch was worth 15 points. Every single one. For 3 minutes.

Bayonetta 1 had diminishing returns for not landing Wicked Weaves. Bayonetta 2 does not. Neither game had any sort of penalty for repeating the same combo.

I don't know what to tell you if you think Bayonetta 1 had more Pure Platinum-viable weapons than Bayonetta 2.
"You're absolutely delusional!"
Bayonetta 1 neutered a lot of weapons' viability with arbitrarily inefficient combo scores (Rodin and Bazillions being the most extreme examples). Tons of moves were pretty much unusable due to their high damage and low points (Shuraba and Durga's charge modifiers, for example). Weapons like Odette and Kulsheda were extremely difficult to use for middling results. Durga was terrible compared to its competitors unless you were using the exploit. Lt. Kilgore, Scarborough Faire, and Shuraba crushed every other weapon in their respective categories. Point values were the same across the board for many categories (namely Wicked Weaves), whereas damage wasn't. It's impossible to get Platinum combo on a lot of bosses with Shuraba due to this very reason.

Bayonetta 2 has gone to great lengths to balance the combo : damage ratio of every move of every weapon. I haven't found a single move of any weapon that doesn't feel Platinum viable. I'd recommend you try whatever you did with the whips again; it's likely you just dropped your combo. The hammer is extremely viable for Platinuming (I've been using it heavily). Try combining it with Panther Offset to crush enemies in record time.

And to address your last opinion, I loved the original game, so I'm glad that this sequel built off of it instead of trying to do something radically different (as so many tragic sequels do).

Astral Dog

Cool game though, ha!

Hmm i agree,i prefer the "structure" of the first game too, but i think Platinum wanted to do something a little different this time, there are more bosses and minibosses overall, maybe as an answer to the criticism that the first game big bosses had and provide more human sized ones.
Some angels and demons still answer to Loptr , going by their dialogue.
The demons are typically unruly and chaotic, thats part of the lore, so having independent ones like Alraune is a nice touch.
DMC4 also had demons like that, i think it worked on that game as they still felt like part of a hierarchy.

Try a different difficulty option or get less heart pieces, it helps , Bayo 2 was always going to feel less fresh no matter what, it was always going to be more of the same, but its also very high quality that im happy PG had the chance to do a sequel to their best game,sometimes more of the same can be a good thing, specially if we are talking about Bayonetta.

Timeaisis

So...I like the original costume more than the current one. But I like her new hairstyle more...

Hmm...decisions decisions for playthrough 2. I guess I'll keep swapping.

Neiteio

The Bracelet of Time is insanely useful though. The ability to pop Witch Time on command lets you:

- Nullify any attack
- See the enemy's followup attack coming a mile away (really useful against fast rival bosses)
- Grapple anything with the whips (makes the hardest difficulty an absolute joke because you can keep tripping up the largest enemies and fastest bosses)
- Freeze enemies with the ice throwers more easily
- Wreck everything with the chainsaws
- Open up the combo system by making enemies relaunchable

The Bracelet of Time is probably the best accessory in the game because it nearly matches the defensive and offensive potential of the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa and the Earrings of Ruin, while offering all the other benefits tied to Witch Time. (Also, thanks to the Link costume, you don't even have to waste a slot on the Moon to use its parry/counter.)

I like to swap in the Bracelet after I've built up a full magic bar or two. Coupled with the Evil Harvest Rosary, or better yet, the Infernal Communicator, it's devastating.
That sounds neat. I guess I'll try to get the bracelet after all. :)

Also, tonight I beat Witch Trials III and IV. Now I'm on Witch Trial V. I only took one shot at it, but wow at fighting
Loptr and Alraune
. :-O

IKizzLE

Are you on, IKizzle?

Edit: Never mind. I don't like when I want to quick match, it takes time to wait for someone to accept my request. I'm very impatient.
Sorry about that. I was caught up playing with someone else then left to do things. We can play tonight.

Jintor

I was unfortunately too late to see the comments on the prima guide before it was shipped.

Saying that it's inferior to the Future Press guide would be a massive understatement: this is hands down the shittiest video game guides I've ever bought.

It's ugly as hell, there is no index, no even a truly useful table of contents. The typeface is huge with usually no more than 3 parapgraphs per page, the maps are just a basic layout and no way of actually reading the freaking it without referring to a seemingly random numbered list. It's so bad that I will probably check gamefaqs or the wiki to hunt my missing crows/pieces and stuff. I also haven't found any strategy worth a damn.

Finally combo lists are a step down from the in game list since there are no icons, just litteral inputs like [air] 1 rotation P and basically no comments besides damage value.

A real shame. Avoid at all costs.

Amazingly disappointing. The FuturePress guide to B1 was perhaps the single greatest piece of videogame-related printed material I've ever read, and that includes academic works like Game Over or Masters of Doom.

Amazingly disappointing. The FuturePress guide to B1 was perhaps the single greatest piece of videogame-related printed material I've ever read, and that includes academic works like Game Over or Masters of Doom.

So glad I got that thing. Not only is it impressive to look at but those guys played the shit out of the game working on it. No stone left unturned, whatsoever. They even had video demonstrations, there's a PP run and a lot of combo tutorials. I think they're on Youtube now.

Dreavus

The Bracelet of Time is insanely useful though. The ability to pop Witch Time on command lets you:

- Nullify any attack
- See the enemy's followup attack coming a mile away (really useful against fast rival bosses)
- Grapple anything with the whips (makes the hardest difficulty an absolute joke because you can keep tripping up the largest enemies and fastest bosses)

The Bracelet of Time is probably the best accessory in the game because it nearly matches the defensive and offensive potential of the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa and the Earrings of Ruin, while offering all the other benefits tied to Witch Time. (Also, thanks to the Link costume, you don't even have to waste a slot on the Moon to use its parry/counter.)

I like to swap in the Bracelet after I've built up a full magic bar or two. Coupled with the Evil Harvest Rosary, or better yet, the Infernal Communicator, it's devastating.

I put down that accessory way too fast in the first game. Basically amounted to me misusing it a few times, (wasting my meter) and saying "fuck this" and not coming back to it. I'll definitely give it another shot on my second play through because it sounds fantastic.

Rich!

I just got to the final chapter in bayonetta 1, first time playing. loving it. Hoping to start 2 today!!

I really, really liked the motorbike sequence, if only because of the after burner music! So good!

I've been playing with the Link costume. Having the master sword and collecting rupees is great, and the link to the past chest open sound effect is hilarious. I also noticed the puzzle solved jingle on some occasions too!

Yes, Saur didn't work on the guide for 2.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder of Nintendo has some sort of contract with Prima

Damn shame they didn't go with Futurepress for either game. PG is definitely aware of how the original Bayo guide was highly regarded

I wonder of Nintendo has some sort of contract with Prima

Damn shame they didn't go with Futurepress for either game. PG is definitely aware of how the original Bayo guide was highly regarded

Yeah I'm not sure why Nintendo hasn't hired Saur at all. While PG does mention his videos and had an interview with him right before the launch of Bayo 2.

Wtf at
Rosa
damage? Saw a video of a dude polishing off all the verses in Witch Hunt V in less than 15s a piece.

I need that Bracelet of Time.

rugioh

Banned

- Nullify any attack

Hmm I need to try and get used to the BoT, I've only used it for the Masked Lumen fights but I would like the ability to juggle mid sized enemies and whip slam large enemies. I'm assuming Jeanne can do the same thing, to utilize witch time on command without relying on bat within/perfect parry

Wtf at
Rosa
damage? Saw a video of a dude polishing off all the verses in Witch Hunt V in less than 15s a piece.

I need that Bracelet of Time.

I played against someone using
Rosa
in Tag Climax once. Never again, if they're using that character I exit the game. She can take about as much damage as she deals though, seemed like she got one shotted repeatedly with a fully upgraded health bar.

I played against someone using
Rosa
in Tag Climax once. Never again, if they're using that character I exit the game. She can take about as much damage as she deals though, seemed like she got one shotted repeatedly with a fully upgraded health bar.

You die within 2 hits on anything on nsic.

Rosaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Either she should do stupid damage or have really high combo scores. Not both. Replaying some chapters to get the Bracelet of Time and I'm getting triple the combo scores in half the time lmao

Neff

You never wanted a Bayonetta sequel huh? I'm glad Platinum didn't feel the same way.

I wanted a sequel that not only equals but also significantly builds and improves upon its forebear in terms of mechanics and ideas. Bayonetta 2, while a fantastic action game, achieves neither of these things imo.

I'm glad they (or more specifically Nintendo) didn't feel the same way, but it really is just more of the same, with some things either neutered or removed, and some things spit-shined.

Zomba13

(Platinum Ticket spoilers)
Fucking Rodin!!! ;_; Even when trying to "cheese" it with Rosa and Bracelet of Time (for phase 2) I still get owned.

Seik

Banned
I'll be done with Bayo 1 tonight and I just can't wait to go back to Bayo 2 for some Tag Climax action, hope some of you will be up for some games later tonight. :D

Fucking Rodin!!! ;_; Even when trying to "cheese" it with Rosa and Bracelet of Time (for phase 2) I still get owned.

I never tried Rodin with Rosa yet...I guess that if you get hit once, you die, right?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
My biggest gripe with Bayo 2s controls is honestly the exact same one I had with Bayo 1 for the ps3 and that is that, crow within does nothing but screw up my air dodges.

I find that I have to disable the ability because it just triggers too easily. I would like it if the beast within abilities (except crow) required you to double tap and HOLD the dodge button, releasing the button would instantly end the effect.

69wpm

I played against
Rodin in Tag Climax (2 stars), is he harder than that, 3 stars maybe?

Zomba13

I'll be done with Bayo 1 tonight and I just can't wait to go back to Bayo 2 for some Tag Climax action, hope some of you will be up for some games later tonight. :D

I never tried Rodin with Rosa yet...I guess that if you get hit once, you die, right?

You can take a few hits but you don't have the "magic pixel" of health.

I've been able to get to his second form without taking a hit but I always mess up in the second form if he every gets in the air. I kinda panic.

I played against
Rodin in Tag Climax (2 stars), is he harder than that, 3 stars maybe?

Only tried 1 star in Tag Climax but he's super hard in the Platinum Ticket fight.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The best part about using the whips in Tag Climax is that you can pull enemies away and prevent the other player from scoring that easily :p

Top Bottom