• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Majestad

Banned
I got mostly pure platinums in Chapter 4 and then the Masked Lumen killed me 5 times, ending with a stone trophy for the chapter. Lol

Adaren

My biggest gripe with Bayo 2s controls is honestly the exact same one I had with Bayo 1 for the ps3 and that is that, crow within does nothing but screw up my air dodges.

I find that I have to disable the ability because it just triggers too easily. I would like it if the beast within abilities (except crow) required you to double tap and HOLD the dodge button, releasing the button would instantly end the effect.

This was actually changed from Bayo1 -> Bayo2.

Now, to Crow Within, you need to be holding a direction. To avoid Crow Within, just take your finger off the stick (or only hit dodge once).

The change has actually caused me to miss Crow Within multiple times.

Neiteio

This was actually changed from Bayo1 -> Bayo2.

Now, to Crow Within, you need to be holding a direction. To avoid Crow Within, just take your finger off the stick (or only hit dodge once).

The change has actually caused me to miss Crow Within multiple times.
Oh, this is a great change! In Bayo 1, I accidentally triggered Crow Within many times, but it rarely happens in Bayo 2. Now I know it's because the direction you hold the stick triggers the crow, not just dodging. Very cool. :)

Adaren

Oh, this is a great change! In Bayo 1, I accidentally triggered Crow Within many times, but it rarely happens in Bayo 2. Now I know it's because the direction you hold the stick triggers the crow, not just dodging. Very cool. :)

Yeah, when I first went into Bayo2's practice mode I spent about 20 seconds jumping in place trying to figure out why I cpuldn't Crow Within!

I like the change overall though.

Seik

Banned
The best part about using the whips in Tag Climax is that you can pull enemies away and prevent the other player from scoring that easily :p

You monster. :mad:

I remember you doing this when we played. :p

BTW, if you're up to it and if our timing coincide, wanna play some games later tonight?

Ninja Dom

Just finished a pure platinum run through 3rd Climax. On to Infinite!

(I've been uploading my replays here, if anyone wants to check them out. Chapters 11+ will be in 60 fps.)

Amazing game, anyway. Platinum went and fixed just about everything that sucked about the original and made a sequel that surpasses it in every way. It's definitely going to give Ninja Gaiden II a run for its money as the best game in the genre.

Iconoclast, how would you rank the Top 5 games in this genre?

CrisKre

Im having A LOT of truoble on a Muspelheim Portal as soon as you enter the gates of hell where you add time with every enemy you kill. The problem is, this hell creatures take some time to die! Any tips or items i should be using GAF?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Im having A LOT of truoble on a Muspelheim Portal as soon as you enter the gates of hell where you add time with every enemy you kill. The problem is, this hell creatures take some time to die! Any tips or items i should be using GAF?

Use the hammer or the scythe if you have them, go for the big guy first he adds 15 seconds I think, while the other two add 5 a piece. Then after that there is only one big dude that should be easy.

Basically just remember to use your wicked weaves frequently. When in doubt just like bayo 1 the hold combo for PKP works wonders.

Still working my way through Bayo 1. Its a great time, although I am sucking pretty hard. If I was an OCD completionist I think these games would destroy my life. Luckily I'm not.

CrisKre

Use the hammer or the scythe if you have them, go for the big guy first he adds 15 seconds I think, while the other two add 5 a piece. Then after that there is only one big dude that should be easy.

Basically just remember to use your wicked weaves frequently. When in doubt just like bayo 1 the hold combo for PKP works wonders.

I dont have either weapon but thanks. Ill try that!

Neiteio

Still working my way through Bayo 1. Its a great time, although I am sucking pretty hard. If I was an OCD completionist I think these games would destroy my life. Luckily I'm not.
I think you'll have an even better time with Bayonetta 2, since there are less scoring penalties (I.E. reduced penalties for repeat combos), no insta-kill QTEs, fewer and better genre shifts, less input confusion (the streamlined Crow Within, etc), and improved camerawork, including level design that better serves the camera. I got tons of Stone Awards on Bayo 1, but on Bayonetta 2 (Third Climax, the equivalent of the first game's Normal), I was mainly getting silvers, golds and platinums.

I think you'll have an even better time with Bayonetta 2, since there are less scoring penalties (I.E. reduced penalties for repeat combos), no insta-kill QTEs, fewer and better genre shifts, less input confusion (the streamlined Crow Within, etc), and improved camerawork, including level design that better serves the camera. I got tons of Stone Awards on Bayo 1, but on Bayonetta 2 (Third Climax, the equivalent of the first game's Normal), I was mainly getting silvers, golds and platinums.

I am certainly enjoying the ride. I can't wait to dive in to Bayo 2. I'm definitely getting better at the game so in the end its really just an extended training session :). Still can't believe the value in this package. Including the first game for free was just crazy awesome.

antitrop

And I can't remember any bosses in Bayonetta 2 that you have to kill with a missile turret.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You monster. :mad:

I remember you doing this when we played. :p

BTW, if you're up to it and if our timing coincide, wanna play some games later tonight?

Sure throw a PM at me later today. Going to be slamming my face into Ys 6 Nightmare mode in the mean time

Nyoro SF

The best part about using the whips in Tag Climax is that you can pull enemies away and prevent the other player from scoring that easily :p

Holy shit why didn't I think of this lol

But the friend I play with uses the scythe, so he could probably still hit the guy I'm going for lol

How do I change outfits? For the life of me I can't figure this one out. I've bought one outfit but don't know what to do from there.

Game is absolutely amazing! I couldn't get into the first one, but for some reason I can't pull myself away from 2. It's just so satisfying. After playing I have this natural high I haven't felt since I was a kid. Extreme happiness is the best way I can explain it. Even my favorite games don't do that to me.

Neiteio

How do I change outfits? For the life of me I can't figure this one out. I've bought one outfit but don't know what to do from there.

Game is absolutely amazing! I couldn't get into the first one, but for some reason I can't pull myself away from 2. It's just so satisfying. After playing I have this natural high I haven't felt since I was a kid. Extreme happiness is the best way I can explain it. Even my favorite games don't do that to me.
On the chapter select screen, see how it says "Shop -- Start -- Menu?" Go to Menu, and then Character Select. Choose your character, and then their costume.

Inbetween chapters, go to the right for the menu or whatever and there should be an option for character settings. Just click on that and you can switch to any costumes you have.

Revven

Oh man, Shuraba + Rakshasa is a pretty sick combination gonna mess around with it in some chapters and see how it plays out later.

Oh man, Shuraba + Rakshasa is a pretty sick combination gonna mess around with it in some chapters and see how it plays out later.

I haven't thought of trying that. It does sound pretty awesome.
Talking about the sword weapons, which is the best one to use on this game? I loved Shuraba on the original (paired with Scarborough Fair), but it became my secondary set once I got Durga and Odette. On this one I stuck with Rakshasa throughout, with Alruna (?) on my feet, with the scythe and chainsaws for set B.

So I guess I prefer Rakshasa, but is there really that big a difference between them aside from Shuraba having that lock on half moon, full moon attack, and Rakshasa having Tetsuzanko trigger witch time?

braves01

Banned
Just finished my first run. I've been avoiding this thread, so I don't know what the consensus is at the moment, but on first impression, the final battle
didn't feel nearly as epic
as the one in Bayonetta.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Just finished my first run. I've been avoiding this thread, so I don't know what the consensus is at the moment, but on first impression, the final battle
as the one in Bayonetta.

Didn't feel as epic, but it did feel like a better "fight"

Neiteio

I actually liked the final battle better when I replayed it. The emotional moments were stronger, and all of those 2v1 and 1v1 fights are super-satisfying against an actual humanoid opponent vs. the giant ribbons/fists of the first game. Plus,
Aesir
looks friggin' awesome.

Revven

I haven't thought of trying that. It does sound pretty awesome.
Talking about the sword weapons, which is the best one to use on this game? I loved Shuraba on the original (paired with Scarborough Fair), but it became my secondary set once I got Durga and Odette. On this one I stuck with Rakshasa throughout, with Alruna (?) on my feet, with the scythe and chainsaws for set B.

So I guess I prefer Rakshasa, but is there really that big a difference between them aside from Shuraba having that lock on half moon, full moon attack, and Rakshasa having Tetsuzanko trigger witch time?

I read that Shuraba does more damage than Rakshasa, not sure how much more but it's more damage nonetheless. Don't know about any other advantages than that and what you already mentioned.

spekkeh

Banned
Just finished chapter seven. That masked lumen fight hollyyyyshiiiiiiit. This game keeps one upping itself. I loved Bayonetta 1, but sure can't remember having stuff like that happen.

I read that Shuraba does more damage than Rakshasa, not sure how much more but it's more damage nonetheless. Don't know about any other advantages than that and what you already mentioned.

Righteo. It does seem to be a case of speed vs. power with the two, especially with the punch, kick, punch combo being weaker on this game. That was ridiculously good with Shuraba on the original.

I'm playing through the chapters I didn't get gold on first time round, so prologue, 1-3, and 5. Prologue ans 1 have been done so far. Once I get all golds on 2nd climax I'll go through on 3rd climax.

I can't get anyone to tag climax with me. Is it just me. I am guessing yes :(

Just be yourself, show confidence in your approach, be passionate about the the things that interest you, and treat them like people, and you'll be tag climaxing together in no time

K-A-Deman

Been going back and playing 3rd Climax in my spare time, which usually translates to a level or two bosses. Re-fought Valiance the other day and snagged a Pure Platinum; my first one in the game. I tried to do that again on 2nd Climax just for fun and I just barely missed the quota for time. Never have I been so dissapointed to get a Platinum •_•

as the one in Bayonetta.
I found it to be the opposite. Bayonetta 2's final boss substitutes 1's tedious combat and shallow spectacle with an opponent that's actually fun to face and a cameo of the
Shirogane Comet from Wonderful 101
Aesir
looked like a total fuckin' dork in comparison though.

Aesir
looks like a wack ass Gil.
The fight feels less fresh because you've seen that moveset twice already by then. Should have removed the blue hand stuff or at least made them look different. The background was pretty tame as well compared to the Lumen fights. Oh, and The Greatest Jubilee was is one of the hypest boss themes of all time.

Better fight though.

" Santa don't get paid enough for this shit. "

Managed to play 3.5 hours today and reached chapter 5. Been going and collecting so far everywhere since I'm exploring every nook and cranny. Here is a visual representation of me playing the game with me being Wesley and Bayonetta being Angelina Jolie. Man, Game is just so good, so satisfying and Bayonetta is such a fun, charming character. She is definitely having way more fun than the first game and in turn you can't help but smile all the time.
I loved how the prologue was expanded upon and improved in more ways than one by making the boss battles play out abit differently or longer even than the Demo counter part. Based Kamiya for letting Bayonetta channel dat Audrey Hepburn look with her dress in the prologue.
I can't wait to continue more with the game later on and I can tell the game, much like the first will get even better as soon as one could afford most of the great shit Rodan sells. Enjoying it alot, also WIIU pro controller is faaantastic.

Yuterald

Hmm i agree,i prefer the "structure" of the first game too, but i think Platinum wanted to do something a little different this time, there are more bosses and minibosses overall, maybe as an answer to the criticism that the first game big bosses had and provide more human sized ones.
Some angels and demons still answer to Loptr , going by their dialogue.
The demons are typically unruly and chaotic, thats part of the lore, so having independent ones like Alraune is a nice touch.
DMC4 also had demons like that, i think it worked on that game as they still felt like part of a hierarchy.

Early/mid-game spoilers:
Aside from Glamor (and the build-up to him from Chapter I-III), the game completely failed to capture, as you said, the pacing structure of the first game. Is this necessarily a bad thing? Not really, but it's what I really enjoyed about the first game (and DMC titles in general). True, the game has mini-bosses all over the place, but there's so many that blur the line between being a "minor" versus a "major" boss fight. When I first encountered Valor I SWORE it was a regular enemy (that's on top of him not being very difficult to begin with). And that's my main issue. Again, is it really a bad issue? Not really. If Platinum set out to capture this endless climatic experience where every encounter felt like a big deal then they more or less provided that. At the same time, I feel like that build-up to an amazing fight has been lost and instead it's like riding a speeding train that never hits the breaks.

I'm going to bring up the original DMC again because I feel like it really captured what I like about these kinds of games. The first enemy type are puppets and the player is introduced to them in a non-combative way. They're lifeless, strewn about the castle rooms before you encounter them. I love that. Now, Bayonetta is the last game I'd complain about enemy introductions, because they're probably some of the best ones out there. The book introductions and the lore descriptions are some of my favorite aspects of the series, but I'm starting to see what could be a greater/bigger picture with it all.

Take the inside of Insidious in Bayonetta 2, for example. The description of that thing is so fucking awesome and detailed. It makes it sound like its innards are a wicked place. So, when the player gets swallowed by this thing, you'd expect the inside to be pretty fucked up, right? Well, for me, that entire chapter/segment was a missed opportunity. It was a straight shot, linear path to the boss encounter with a single side branch that led to a treasure chest. On top of that, the place had such a "clean", dirty-look to it (the book lore didn't match the actual environment, imo). You're also introduced to demon enemies in there and they arrive similarly to the angels. Sure, it's cool that it reflects how the angels approach Bayonetta (coming up from below instead of above), but we're already in Hell! I think I'm at the point where I wanted to see these demons crawling the walls of this thing or even hatching from those eggs, something like that. I mean, we're in the bowels of this giant beast!

I've got an ass-ton of more to say about this game (Kind of want to go off about the stage design and item/portal placement and such), but I'll leave it at that, for now. I feel like a total boner critiquing this game like this (given its history; how it almost didn't even come to be), but it's honestly my gut reaction after playing this game.

Revven

Okay Shuraba + Rakshasa is pretty awesome, actually. You gain the benefits of both with the only drawback being that the Rakshasa on the feet are slightly slower than if they're on your hands. Expected but it's still a pretty awesome feeling to use them and the general flow between the two weapons is nice. Additionally, you have the quick draw/charge up for both hands and feet so you get the best of both worlds (Shuraba's charge and Rakshasa's charge). Pretty cool.

Not sure how good it is in comparison to OTHER sets, obviously it's probably not that great in terms of range (like if you had the Shuraba + Whip) but it's still good for what it is, IMO.

Coda

Still, the level design kills pretty much anything else out there in terms of how real it felt to me in terms of action games.

K-A-Deman

I finally beat
Rodin
in Tag Climax after FIVE trys!
His
Aoe attack is BULLCRAP (two of my attempts were ended by that damn thing.). As for playing as
him
, It's a really strange shift compared to the other characters,
what with having windups for attacks, no real dodge, and no Witch Time/Light Speed
. I think I'll need more practice with
him
before I decide if I can use
him
properly

So am I the only one that started calling the kid Yugi?
His necklace looks an awful like the millennium puzzle. I noticed it as soon as he appeared on screen for the first time. The final boss fight made me laugh because him putting the cards down made me think of the time Yugi first summoned exodia lol.

Top Bottom