• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

I was expecting something like the jump from DMC1 to DMC3, or DMC3 to DMC4. Bayonetta 2 doesn't even represent that jump imo. It feels more like Sonic 1 to Sonic 2, or Megaman 1 to... you get the picture.

I'd still give the nod to W101 as PG's best game so far.

Reserving my judgement on Bayo2 until I finish it, but the other jumps you mention seem odd... DMC3 was better (for me) than 4, while both the jumps from Sonic 1 to 2 and especially Megaman 1 to 2 were massive.

kick51

Banned
that chapter 10 mini-boss
Phantom! I was hoping he'd talk shit like DMC1. Destroyed his ass with the hammer. destroying everything with the hammer, actually. damn thing is strong.

Hag

I'm just in Chapter 4 and holy shit Ueda is a fucking god. The soundtrack is so fucking good

Theres no option to change the screen on the gamepad? I thought it was like TW101 :/

that chapter 10 mini-boss
Phantom! I was hoping he'd talk shit like DMC1. Destroyed his ass with the hammer. destroying everything with the hammer, actually. damn thing is strong.

Really dig a lot of the mini-bosses in here. Cool designs, lot of attacks to learn depending on the distance, great animations and sound cues.

Hmm, why? if anything im finding more things to collect in the levels, and they are a bit more complex and open, with all the Musphelheims, journals, items, weapons,crows to find.
I just feel that in Bayo 1 it felt better because areas were bigger. Then again, I last played Bayo 1 almost six years ago, so I could be misremembering.

So is Bayonetta 2 the best Christmas game ever? (as in set during Christmas)
Nah, Yakuza 2 is. In that one you actually explore the whole city and see lights and decorations. It's very festive and part of the reason it's a favorite of mine.

I just feel that in Bayo 1 it felt better because areas were bigger. Then again, I last played Bayo 1 almost six years ago, so I could be misremembering.

Nah, Yakuza 2 is. In that one you actually explore the whole city and see lights and decorations. It's very festive and part of the reason it's a favorite of mine.

They are the roughly the same. I replayed Bayo-U before jumping into 2.

Only difference is you can control the distance from the camera (in options) with Bayo2. It feels like smaller areas because the camera's default is as close as possible.

Guys, I have a fever and the cure is more Friend Codes.

Who wants to Tag Climax with me right now? My NNID is dragonlife29. I need to fuel my shopping spree, please. I want all the costumes :p

Did anyone else miss (general spoilers, probably OK unless you really care about little things)
Bayonetta's sadism in part 2? There was nothing to compare to the way she utterly wrecked the bosses in part one. No limb pulling, eye pecking nastiness. I liked that about her character. She really hated the angels and the way she finished them off reflected that. Part 2 feels much tamer.

Zomba13

Did anyone else miss (general spoilers, probably OK unless you really care about little things)
Bayonetta's sadism in part 2? There was nothing to compare to the way she utterly wrecked the bosses in part one. No limb pulling, eye pecking nastiness. I liked that about her character. She really hated the angels and the way she finished them off reflected that. Part 2 feels much tamer.

I think part of it is that, at least for me, Umbran Climax is a better use of magic power than torture attacks so there is less of that kinda stuff in the general gameplay. It does feel tamer in the actual cut-scenes though.

How does the online infrastructure work in this game, anyway? Doing quick-match, people either cancel right away or don't answer at all. Does it just pick people waiting in Tag Climax or people in Story, or what? Seems odd.

I must be so hideous that no one wants to Climax with me QQ

Seik

Banned
How does the online infrastructure work in this game, anyway? Doing quick-match, people either cancel right away or don't answer at all. Does it just pick people waiting in Tag Climax or people in Story, or what? Seems odd.

It did the same for me, yesterday.

Add me, I'm going online right now, my NNID is Seik666. Let's try to give it a shot.

EDIT: Just added you. :)

Alot of us are just trying to solo it, but the game puts you into waiting for an a request mode anyway.

Astral Dog

So, i have been seeing some complaints about Kamiya and the writting,especifically the character of Bayonetta, that the game takes itself too seriously. Spoilers.

Yes, the game is a little more serious and dark than the first, but i have been reading that its because Kamiya was not the director, blaming Hashimoto or the team., this is weird, as Kamiya wrote the script(with some help, of course) and the dialogue himself, Bayonetta can be more than just parody and silly fun, and it has some dramatic moments, Bayonetta in 2 acts more seriously because the situation is more serious and she has changed a bit since the first game:
She is as trashy and overconfident as ever, with all her enemies, even the Masked Lumen and Alraune, except for a few characters and situations:

1.Jeanne, the game takes the fact that Jeanne was dragged to hell seriously, as it should, seeing as she is the only other witch left and saved Bayonettas life twice, and also her best friend Bayonetta herself isnt concerned when battling demons and has fun with them, she only cares about Jeanne.

2.Loptr. Bayonetta is serious with him because she knows he is a threat,he killed her mother and is more powerful than her, even Dante was serious with Mundus and when he saved Nero and Kyrie.

3.Loki this is more vague,she was too overdramatic with him, could be because she has a soft spot for children and misses her younger self, as she calls him "little one"

4.Balder and Rosa: well she saw her mother die again and her father was not the monster she thought he was.

So it makes a bit of sense, the only thing i found weird was her interactions with Luka,lol she almost seems to hate him now.

Zomba13

Just unlocked (playable character spoilers)
Lumen Sage and Rodin
for Tag climax. That first person is really fun to play as, second one isn't to my liking but does have an awesome Umbran Climax.

Can you not drop the Samus visor in the second game?

Should be able to by holding the taunt button (Down on d-pad).

LAA

Beat it on Friday.. The game is just unlike anything else on Wii U. Presentation and visuals are just not like anything else on Wii U and what I recall being said in an interview (Or maybe on NDirect) does feel true to me. Every boss does feel like it has the scale of a final boss, thats whats impressed me the most with Bayonetta. Now I'm gonna try Tag climax I guess and maybe on higher difficulties...

kick51

Banned
Really dig a lot of the mini-bosses in here. Cool designs, lot of attacks to learn depending on the distance, great animations and sound cues.

agreed. and the dudes who you think are mini-bosses, but then are just mid-size guys in the next fight!

They are the roughly the same. I replayed Bayo-U before jumping into 2.

Only difference is you can control the distance from the camera (in options) with Bayo2. It feels like smaller areas because the camera's default is as close as possible.

oh yeah, I switched that immediately. pulled it out as far as possible.

It did the same for me, yesterday.

Add me, I'm going online right now, my NNID is Seik666. Let's try to give it a shot.

EDIT: Just added you. :)
Cool, will add you now. Right after posting I got into some games with someone, haha. We died twice. Also, it's dumb you can't access the Home menu from the lobby =/

Monocle

Beat the game yesterday but I had stuff to do so I couldn't post my thoughts.

Holy crap did this game deliver. The levels were varied and fun, the music was top notch as always, and the weapons felt so satisfying to master and use. Some of my highlights;

The boss fight with Glamor on the water spiral and into Paradiso for the spectacle of the fights, the debris being thrown at you, and the fight against three (albeit two are severely depowered) Glamors in Paradiso itself.

The City of Noatun’s many underwater ruins. They were a bit of a pain to navigate in, but they always had this interesting feel and story to them, so finding out about
the ancient tsunami that wiped out half the city
made the way the city and ruins merge together all the more interesting. And while I’m at it, the way water was utilized in much of Noatun was a fascinating visual and concept.

Inferno itself. I thought they would try for the conventional never-ending plain of torment and pain, but I never thought they’d have it be broken up like that. It made for an interesting connection to Paradiso, but while Paradiso has some familiarity thanks to using real-world locations we visited or motifs we’ve seen, Inferno is all original, and uncomprehensible in it’s logics or progression. I’m sad we didn’t spend more time there for them to explore more world design although the ruins around the Gates of Hell were pretty cool and served an interesting purpose to the lore.

The weapons, although I’m still missing
Salamandora
, are all really fun to use and create new dynamics to approaching the game. I think my favorite combination is Raksasha on arms and Undine on feet, but since I don’t have all of them yet, I can’t make that final call.

The story was not really anything groundbreaking, but It was fun and made for a good backdrop for the crazy battles and events, like a story should. But the moments it tried to go heavier, like with
Rosa’s death
or
Balder’s corruption
felt pretty heartfelt and helped to make Bayonetta a more sympathetic character with vulnerabilities. Speaking of that…

Balder’s reveal to have been a genuinely heroic figure that loved his family might be seen as a cheap cop out by some, but I personally found it to make things better and more tragic. Balder in the first game was almost comically evil and it was suggested he started the Witch Hunts and exterminated the Sages out of zealotry and nihilistic principle. Making him a puppet for the machinations of the Angels and Loptr paints his actions in a new light, and while it may ruin some of the unbridled camp that the series runs on in favor of actual plot and character development, I think it was well ‘wasted’ and just further cements how distant the denizens of the Trinity of Realities are to each other.

While not a highlight, I disagree with the notion that Aesir is a weaker boss to Jubileus. While he obviously has less presence as Jubileus did (being a giantess in a sphere of power and all), it’s how he used his power that made things interesting, like summoning the Providence/Shirogane Comet to attack or reusing Balder’s Satellite. In addition, there’s the level of intimacy to the fight itself. Jubileus was feral and reacted on instinct to attack you using her raw powers to elevate her fight. Aesir was focused, and was intent on finishing off Bayonetta, and making him closer to human-sized with his own fighting style helped to cement that. And while sending his body to be eaten by Jeanne’s summon of Gommorah wasn’t as satisfying as sending Jubileus’ soul to the sun, it was more cathartic in a way to me, showing that the first demon to break out of the Witch’s control was back under reign.

All in all, I’m extremely satisfied with the game and can’t wait to play more to unlock the rest of the content.
Greate writeup. You've summed up how I feel about the game, especially regarding the story and final boss. I found both to be much better than a lot of reviewers and players give them credit for.

Just unlocked (playable character spoilers)
Lumen Sage and Rodin
for Tag climax. That first person is really fun to play as, second one isn't to my liking but does have an awesome Umbran Climax.

I feel the same. Rodin's Umbran Climax is AWESOME. I'm just uncomfortable playing without a dodge. I wish I could do the Practice Mode with him or something

So, i been seeing some complaints about Kamiya and the writting,especifically Bayonetta, that the game takes itself too seriously.

[/SPOILER]

The serious story i only bothered me when bay was
trying to wake up J,its like she nots gonna die since that would bring down the mood of the party
, but overall i thought the characters had earned the right for a serious story and if you understand the story of bayonetta 1 you will probably love the story, but if you thought it was just sillynonsense then your not gonna like it.

Danielsan

So, you get excited for corny shit like this but Bayonetta's story and cutscenes are "abyssal" in comparison? Lol, I can't.
Yes I do, at least it isn't drawn out un-entertaining bullshit. I really don't want to shit on this game, because outside of the cut scenes and the in-water combat encounters I'm enjoying it a ton, but the I really think the "story" elements bring this game down. Without the exposition cutscenes the game would be a lot better. Who the fuck gives a shit about Fimbulvinter, the shitty poorly VO'd dipshit squirrel character and everyone surrounding it. The cutscenes are uninteresting, dialogue heavy and take up a ton of time. I'm seriously curious who reads all the diary entries, because they also feature a whole lot of poorly written uninteresting "who gives a shit" text.

Seik

Banned
Cool, will add you now. Right after posting I got into some games with someone, haha. We died twice. Also, it's dumb you can't access the Home menu from the lobby =/

That was fun!

After I saw you weren't responding I went into story mode then I saw your invite while playing and accepted during story mode, didn't expect this at all, I though Tag Climax was only showing online those waiting in the lobby.

Seik, that was fun!

That was fun!

After I saw you weren't responding I went into story mode then I saw your invite while playing and accepted during story mode, didn't expect this at all, I though Tag Climax was only showing online those waiting in the lobby.
Aha, so it does ping people in Story, too. That's so weird. It seems like it'd be just as convenient as it could be annoying. But maybe it's just with people you're friends with?

Squishy3

lmao the chainsaw stinger is literally bladewolf's spin move from rising

So what are good purchases to make outside of weapon alts and Bat Within?

Should I go for the parry accessory as soon as possible?
Parry accessory is a must, but also noted you can use the link outfit and it gives you the counter as well, so you can use that and not have the parry accessory equipped and still have it

Seik

Banned
Seik, that was fun!

Aha, so it does ping people in Story, too. That's so weird. It seems like it'd be just as convenient as it could be annoying. But maybe it's just with people you're friends with?

I'm not sure about that but I guess it sends invite automatically when the game see that we're both online.

Sorry if I left right after our game by the way, it's not that I was not having fun but I was making supper at the same time. Hope we'll play again soon!

I'm not sure about that but I guess it sends invite automatically when the game see that we're both online.

Sorry if I left right after our game by the way, it's not that I was not having fun but I was making supper at the same time. Hope we'll play again soon!
No problem at all. We'll definitely have to play again :)

Also: oh, crap! YES! I unlocked a verse card DURING Tag Climax \o/ It appeared as a wild card; it was
fighting Jeanne and Bayo AND MOON RIVER PLAYS YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Just did my second Tag Climax match and we got the (character spoilers)
Rodin card
and beat him. I was super excited to get to play him and then the following card was one of Bayonetta's summons and the other person cranked up the difficulty. It had maybe a tenth of its life before we lost. :(

Hopefully those random cards are semi-frequent. Also, add me if you want to play some Tag Climax. My NNID is LadySiara.

Just did my second Tag Climax match and we got the (character spoilers)
Rodin card
and beat him. I was super excited to get to play him and then the following card was one of Bayonetta's summons and the other person cranked up the difficulty. It had maybe a tenth of its life before we lost. :(

Hopefully those random cards are semi-frequent. Also, add me if you want to play some Tag Climax. My NNID is LadySiara.
I will add you. I need to play more of this. AI Jeanne isn't as fun as someone real :p

K' Dash

My GOD, how can they the pace going crazier and better and simply outdoing themselves, just when you think "There is no way next chapter can have something as cool as what I just did" they prove you wrong doing the most badass cool shit in any fucking game!

how? HOW? My GOD I just did the Masked Lumen fight and I'm speechless, I just can't believe we almost didn't have this game, Thank You Platinum for not giving up on this amazing game.

Bombless

My GOD, how can they the pace going crazier and better and simply outdoing themselves, just when you think "There is no way next chapter can have something as cool as what I just did" they prove you wrong doing the most badass cool shit in any fucking game!

how? HOW? My GOD I just did the Masked Lumen fight and I'm speechless, I just can't believe we almost didn't have this game, Thank You Platinum for not giving up on this amazing game.

Chapter 4, huh? Yeah :D

TEJ

just beat the game

ENDGAME SPOILERS YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

hearing bayonetta acknowledge baldr as her father? legit tears man

and then

Hearing the original version of moon river at the last credit scene? the tears were even more legit. never thought i'd feel this way about a bayonetta game but the world is full of surprises.

Top Bottom