• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

jwillenn

Anyone gotten Pure Platinums yet?

zlCfzSlQy-4PNiyDZX

and on the first try...

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADMUKmG5CLmNQ

Other than that, no. I've got Pures for Verses, but that's the only Chapter. I'm still on my first playthrough, and I went in with a promise that I wouldn't go into score whore mode until after completing 3rd and 4th(NSIC?). I've done that with games in the past (Second Opinion comes to mind) and they ended up in the backlog with a lot of top ranks/grades/scores to show for the time.

bought a skill i really didn't want yet by accident. There goes those halos.

I did this but knew it wasn't what I intended to buy, so I closed the game out from Home before the game could save.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
How many Mifelheims or whatever are there on each stage now?

I remember finding like 3 on the 1st one and was still missing verses

Like over half the goddamn level is optional.

Astral Dog

I was expecting something like the jump from DMC1 to DMC3, or DMC3 to DMC4. Bayonetta 2 doesn't even represent that jump imo. It feels more like Sonic 1 to Sonic 2, or Megaman 1 to... you get the picture.

I'd still give the nod to W101 as PG's best game so far.

Now for that, i agree, that Bayonetta 2 is a great game but its not going to become a classic, at the end its more of the same,some parts better and others worse.
I find it a little weird to compare the jump from DMC 1 to 3, as that was a very different team with another vision, more budget,experience, etc
DMC 4 was on another,much more powerful system, more difference than Wii U to 360.

For Wonderful 101,its a special game, there is a lot of brillant ideas in there, i understand when someone says its as good as Bayonetta, but to me the ingredients never come together, the controls are too tedious,and depending a lot on the Gamepad, the gimmick minigame sections can be good or bad, the big bosses can get very annoying, the music, while good its not on the same level as Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising,the framerate is very distracting,worse than other PG titles.

Its a good,innovative but very flawed experience,i guess it never clicked with me.

jwillenn

Some Verses are hidden and must sometimes be backtracked to.

You can see exactly which verse they are by checking the Mulspheliem or whatever the fuck it's called book on the sub-screen.

I actually got all of them on my 1st playthrough. They're not really hidden compared to the original.

I missed maybe 5 encounters overall. I must have missed a hidden turn somewhere, or they're the verses you have to backtrack for kind of BS. I found a few of those, but not all of them apparently.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You can see exactly which verse they are by checking the Mulspheliem or whatever the fuck it's called book on the sub-screen.

I actually got all of them on my 1st playthrough. They're not really hidden compared to the original.

I missed maybe 5 encounters overall. I must have missed a hidden turn somewhere, or they're the verses you have to backtrack for kind of BS. I found a few of those, but not all of them apparently.

I'm asking how many there are on each stage

In Bayonetta there was like one per stage. Sometimes 2

Kouriozan

I saw someone inviting me for Tag Climax, sorry but I was just trying it quickly, I'll finish the story first before so I can train a little :p

Nah

I feel 101 is too inaccessible

It's pretty much a PG game for PG fans only. Probably the first game of there's I felt didn't adhere to their "pick up and feels good to play" philosophy.

A lot of my friends who had negative impressions of 101 are loving this game. Listening to their comparisons of the two games really highlights what Bayonetta does so well and where 101 falls short.

Sounded to me like he was just giving his opinion. Plus, accessibility isn't always congruent with quality. TW101 is easily Platinum's most meaty, varied, and complex game. It is also the game with the biggest spectacle they have done, not counting B2 as I'm only through chapter 4. It's much more of a mystery to me when people say MGR is their favorite P+ game, as it was clearly rushed.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Two chapters to go.
I'm in the "more of the same" camp, but Lord, what a glorious same it is. Seriously my biggest complain are the invisible walls, I don't think they dragged down exploration as much in Bayo 1 as they do here.

Two chapters to go.
I'm in the "more of the same" camp, but Lord, what a glorious same it is. Seriously my biggest complain are the invisible walls, I don't think they dragged down exploration as much in Bayo 1 as they do here.

It's really obnoxious.

You get conditioned that there are invisible walls everywhere, but then it turns out they disable the invisible walls in some areas that end up containing hidden verses, witch tombs, or whatever. So you have to test every suspicious looking area while exploring. Pretty dumb.

Jezan

Is there a way to restart a chapter faster than going to the Chapter selection screen? I guess all the loading and cutscene skipping is going to be the hard part of a Pure Platinum run :p

DedValve

Banned
The biggest problem I had with the final boss
Aireis or whatever

It failed as both a spectacle (Jubileous) or on a personal level. If something like Jeannes soul was literally on the line and you see it evaporating as you fight giving the fight a timer of sorts where you can't fully concentrate because you need to look at Jeanne every now and again (like Bayonetta would actually be doing) then that would have been more memorable. And thats the key word here, memorable.

The last fight isn't memorable at all. Chapter 4 was a hell of a lot more memorable than the last fight. Maybe something like fighting Balder with the realization that he was a good guy after all? Sort of revisiting Bayo 1 but with a completely different mood and feel to it now? Idk how they could have pulled that off but something.

Maybe fighting Loki instead? Or have his life on the line? Really as I was fighting midway through the fight I said to myself "huh...this is really the final fight...there's really not gonna be another one after this?" and it all felt flat.

It's as if the game forcibly closes during the rising of a climax rather than finishes off the climax then winds down. Bayonetta 2 was almost perfectly paced, I'd even go as far as to say it was one of the best paced games ever minus that. It needed 1 more boss, something more personal, something that raised the stakes beyond a world that I didn't give a shit about. Use the characters that I did instead of some arbitrary "save the world". Loki was safe, Jeanne was good, Balder was in the fight, etc.

This game is still amazing and easily GotY for me but for a game with near perfect pacing throughout the ending was so bizarre. I wonder how Kamiya felt about it.

Also that end music....SOGOOD.

EDIT: I had a question about the final boss

if Jubileous is the creator what is her role in relation to Arce-whatever the god? Are there 3 gods? Jubileous god of paradiso, loki god of humans and then god of the inferno?

Torraz

Any downside to using the Moon of mahaa-kalaa?

Also what is the best way to farm halos early game?

Really enjoying this so far.

Fandangox

you lose the "No Items" +5000 bonus at the end of the chapter

thats it
yeshrug.png

Wow. I don't know how to feel about this.

I think I will just not use them anyways, didn't in Bayonetta cause of the penalties, and got so used to it that I never used any items in W101 despite beating it like 5 times.

Yuterald

I think I will just not use them anyways, didn't in Bayonetta cause of the penalties, and got so used to it that I never used any items in W101 despite beating it like 5 times.

Yeah, it's been like a ranking system staple since the original DMC, right? Very strange times we live in.

Hypron

Finished.

Awesome game.

End boss looked like something out of
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Speaking of
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
, the masked lumen
rearranging the bullets to fire them at Bayonetta while having stopped time is completely a reference to The World

Yeah, it's been like a ranking system staple since the original DMC, right? Very strange times we live in.

More credence to the Ninja Gaiden influence theory, not penalizing items. Wasn't satisfied with marrying God of War spectacle to DMC3 6 styles being available at the same time. Had to incorporate Itagaki in this bitch, too.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

It's funny I think Wonderful 101 and this game both have ranking penalties backwards

in 101 they penalized stuff like Shocking Pinks and missiles with partial deaths, so people don't even experiment with them like in Joe.

While in this game there is literally no penalty for stacking double damage items with invulnerability while refilling your magic for Umbran Climax.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Voomerangs were damn near essential for (Rainbow) V-Ranks on Ultra V-Rated, if they would have penalized that I'd be fucked.

That's why I didn't get why they had bayonetta's item penalty for items so obviously inspired by Joe

and in the actual sequel to Bayonetta, no limits. lol

When the penalties made perfect sense for they type of items and the ranks in that game

Zomba13

EDIT: I had a question about the final boss

if Jubileous is the creator what is her role in relation to Arce-whatever the god? Are there 3 gods? Jubileous god of paradiso, loki god of humans and then god of the inferno?

I wondered the same. I assumed Jubileus was the goddess of Paradiso and that is why the Angels help Balder revive her in Bayo 1. So Jubileus is Goddess of Paradiso/light, Aesir is God of Chaos/our world and Sheba is Goddess or Inferno/dark and that is why right at the end Balder and Bayo summon a half Jubileus half Sheba to finish off Aesir.

DedValve

Banned
you lose the "No Items" +5000 bonus at the end of the chapter

thats it
yeshrug.png

I kind of wish I knew about this before I struggled throughout the campaign. Though in all honesty I should have used items anyways, I only need to worry about score on repeat playthroughs once I got all my toys and use the ones I like/are most useful.

I ended up using items in the last boss anyways to speed things up.

Zomba13

That's why I didn't get why they had bayonetta's item penalty for items so obviously inspired by Joe

and in the actual sequel to Bayonetta, no limits. lol

When the penalties made perfect sense for they type of items and the ranks in that game

I like the lack of an item penalty but rather a "no items" bonus.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I like the lack of an item penalty but rather a "no items" bonus.

I think it'd work if Bayonetta items weren't such blatant "cheats"

Since they're allowed now though I'll most definitely be using them for PPs, if only to verify how useful they really are for them

sora87

Holy shit, what a wild ride that was. Not enjoyed a game that much in so long, it takes something special for me to complete it within a day or two. Clocked in at just over 8 hours.
And dat
starfox
easter egg was awesome.
That very last bit though where
you have to guide the last boss into the demon's mouth
totally fucked up my score though :(

Yuterald

I'll just post some quick/early impressions. Overall I'm digging it, very little to complain about, so far:

+The streets/alleys of Noatun remind me of Dreamcast-era Sonic/Sega games lol I love it.
+Been said a million times, but the game feels more crunchy/satisfying than ever. New animations (both player and enemies) are great.
+Cinematic direction is unstoppable. Shimomura is in a master-class of his own.
+Bestiary/lore descriptions are fucking awesome. Washing the shit taste out of my mouth coming off of Evil Within's elementary-school "Notes".
+OST is incredible. Fight tracks are boss, of course, but the in-between area tracks are SO good!
-Non-skippable "walk & talk" segments are dumb, but are sparse and short when present, at least.
-First major angel/giant face-talking boss was a bit of a let down, set-piece/personality-wise compared to the one you fight in the original Bayonetta. Hopefully, they get cooler.
=Playing on Climax 3. Only played up until the start of Chapter 5. Currently replaying the first four chapters to get a feel for the game/improve my rankings/collect crows I missed/complete portals,etc. Taking my time.
?: Items don't penalize rankings...whaaa?

Top Bottom