• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

DedValve

Banned
I think its good because Pure Platinums are already difficult as is even with items since you cannot take damage of any sort anyways and finally people will actually use the concoction system. Healing items are already out so the goal comes down to avoiding damage.

I have so many items that I thought useless and never even touched the concoction system in this game and only used it once in Bayo 1 for the achievement despite concocting potions with strange ingredients is all what being a witch is about.

I was also hoping
for the revival of the witches and sages. Their so amazing, especially the lumen sages that it sucks that we'll only ever know of Balder and no one else.

Fandangox

I think it'd work if Bayonetta items weren't such blatant "cheats"

Since they're allowed now though I'll most definitely be using them for PPs, if only to verify how useful they really are for them

I think I won't for that, Its gonna make challenge real good and rewarding, ITS GONNA BE HELL THO

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Cinematic direction is unstoppable. Shimomura is in a master-class of his own.

Yeah it's really crazy how much different a game from him is. Even when compared to other Platinum titles of recent memory the action scenes in Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 are just on a completely different level

aborath

Neo Member
Anyone have a good resource for hitting all of the chapter sections? I explore like crazy, and still manage to have holes in my summary.

Yuterald

Yeah it's really crazy how much different a game from him is. Even when compared to other Platinum titles of recent memory the action scenes in Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 are just on a completely different level

I am absolutely obsessed with how this guy directs scenes. His shots and camera cuts, all of it, it's so fucking what I look for and love about cinema in video games.

I've been playing on 2nd Climax since I figured that'd be the "normal" difficulty and it's definitely a lot easier than Bayonetta was on Normal. I'm on Chapter VII and I still haven't died or used any items (and it's not like I'm not taking any hits either). I'll probably keep going at this difficulty though and switch to 3rd Climax for a second playthrough.

Not a fan of the weapons I've got so far, just rolling with the regular guns. I'm hoping there's something that's as much fun as Odette in the first game!

And hearing that items don't penalize you is a bit disappointing. But I've never got used to using items in these games so I doubt I'm starting now either.

Just finished it for the first time on 3rd Climax.

This game was worth the wait. I fucking missed Bayonetta so much after all these years.

There are some things I definitely like in Bayo 1 more, though. Specifically, the exploration aspect. It was really lacking in this. I miss just going out of my way and discovering hidden things. Yeah, there was some here, but not nearly enough, which was my issue.

On the other hand, Bayo 2 is much more fun to play and look at what with the better use of colors and a more pleasant-looking Bayonetta (a different hairstyle works wonders), it has less QTEs, cooler weapons--did I mention less QTEs?--and no awful bike section... yeah, Bayo 2 is great but I wish there were more exploration. That's really my only gripe with it.

Well, actually, the final boss was kind of... hm. I didn't hate it at all, but it was kind of underwhelming, in a way. The latter part of the game as a whole just didn't grab me like the rest of it did. I did chuckle on the final chapter, though, which I liked.

Great, great game. Thank you, Platinum Games, Nintendo, and Sega for making this happen. But, seriously, WTF at not using Moon River (Climax Mix) more!? IT'S SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. "Criminally underused" has never been a more appropriate phrase. It's a perfect battle theme that should be interchangeable with Tomorrow is Mine, dammit. JP, pls ;_;

Anyway, these Witch Trials are definitely a welcome bonus. I definitely think the game needed more battles with regular enemies, so this will sate that craving.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I think I won't for that, Its gonna make challenge real good and rewarding, ITS GONNA BE HELL THO

I always like to push the limits of what the game allows as it gives you a better impression of the design.

If the game just allows you to cheat it it's hard for me to want to put any more effort into it than that.(Yo Rising)

I don't think Bayonetta will have anything like Unlimited Smoke Grenades and Armor Breaker combo tho

Still don't like the cheap stills for cutscenes, but when Shimomura cuts loose on that DMC3/Versus shit, its totally worth sitting through.

On my second playthrough, I used different costumes like the opening white Sunday Best, Samus, Bayo1 w/godlike beehive, etc and they look so clean in the cutscenes. Dat dingy piss filter thing from Bayo 1 is finally gone, and there's some really stylish, colorful sequences here.

DedValve

Banned
Moon River not being the standard battle theme is a crime against humanity. I understand that they wanted to use it sparingly but if there was ever a song to match fly me to the moon Platinum, it's that fucking song.

Lyriell

What simple instructions did I miss? I'm almost at the end of the game and can not get across to the concoct tab in the menus?!

Someone save me?

Moon River not being the standard battle theme is a crime against humanity. I understand that they wanted to use it sparingly but if there was ever a song to match fly me to the moon Platinum, it's that fucking song.
I like you.

What simple instructions did I miss? I'm almost at the end of the game and can not get across to the concoct tab in the menus?!

Someone save me?
Go to your items tab and click the book to concoct.

Porcile

Really liked Chapter 8, it has a nice balance between normal enemies and boss fights, I actually got a decent ranking for a change. It looked phenomenal as well.

Right now my opinion is bordering on there being slightly too many boss fights. I kind of want the game to free up a little. However, I wonder if going into those fights with more experience I'll perhaps enjoy them more. Not that I haven't enjoyed pretty much every moment, but I've been most satisfied with the game when there's been a good balance.

DedValve

Banned
How do you play as Jeanne? Game says I unlocked her and I just wasted a shit ton on all the super mirrors but I'm not seeing the option anywhere. Is it in the chapter select? Because I also didn't see that option.

EDIT: Chapter select in options, now I wish I didn't waste all my halos on the super mirrors just yet :(

Fandangox

I always like to push the limits of what the game allows as it gives you a better impression of the design.

If the game just allows you to cheat it it's hard for me to want to put any more effort into it than that.(Yo Rising)

I don't think Bayonetta will have anything like Unlimited Smoke Grenades and Armor Breaker combo tho

Yeah I can get that, I think someone phrased it as (when talking about another game) "Not wanting to self-handicap to make up for the game's flaws" But honestly using the items would just make it too easy, at least on 2nd and 3rd. I may crave in the hardest difficulty though.

Why do people in OTs insist on being awful about non-descript spoiler bar usage? Lead into your shit, guys.

Good example:

That scene where
so and so and so happened
just killed me.

Bad example:

aeris dies
Man that just killed me.

Is my problem that I'm using the pro controller? I can get to the menu with all my items and can assign them to directions but can't get across to concoct :(

Ill give it another shot!
No, I used it, too. The book is in the wheel on the left page with your lollipops. It's green. Just hit A on it and it will take you to the concoct screen.

Andrew.

Banned
Why do people in OTs insist on being awful about non-descript spoiler bar usage? Lead into your shit, guys.

Good example:

That scene where
just killed me.

Bad example:

aeris dies
Man that just killed me.

Because most people are stupid.

Yuterald

I'm right there with ya' on this. I'm not one to place artificial handicaps on my play-style/"runs" of games, usually. I get why people enjoy doing this, but I typically prefer to stay-in-line with the systems I see presented within the game itself. Like, in old school RE games, getting those A-ranks carried some hefty restrictions (like not using first-aid sprays or using only a few ink-ribbons). I would probably never, for example, add the handicap of say not using herbs while attempting that run either, because that was never intended by the developers. I'd have to REALLY, REALLY like a game and would have had exhausted all pre-made/intentionally designed challenges in a game before doing something like that, ha! At this point in my life, I'd rather just move onto something else, to be honest, haha!

Zomba13

Good example:

That scene where
just killed me.

Bad example:

aeris dies
Man that just killed me.

No, I used it, too. The book is in the wheel on the left page with your lollipops. It's green. Just hit A on it and it will take you to the concoct screen.

Best way is to say what the spoiler is in brackets or something. Like
(chapter 2 spoilers)
this spoiler details the goings on in chapter 2 up to and including the end of said chapter

That way you know not to highlight it unless you've beaten that chapter.

jwillenn

So does this mean you'll also not be abusing Quit @ Mistake+Continue From Title @ Last Good Save, and instead getting Pures for all Chapters as if you were playing the demo, where Continuing From Title is not an option?

Fandangox

So does this mean you'll also not be abusing Quit @ Mistake+Continue From Title @ Last Good Save, and instead getting Pures for all Chapters as if you were playing the demo, where Continuing From Title is not an option?

Yeah.

I did do that in Wonderful 101, though.

Astral Dog

Just finished it for the first time on 3rd Climax.

This game was worth the wait. I fucking missed Bayonetta so much after all these years.

There are some things I definitely like in Bayo 1 more, though. Specifically, the exploration aspect. It was really lacking in this. I miss just going out of my way and discovering hidden things. Yeah, there was some here, but not nearly enough, which was my issue.

On the other hand, Bayo 2 is much more fun to play and look at what with the better use of colors and a more pleasant-looking Bayonetta (a different hairstyle works wonders), it has less QTEs, cooler weapons--did I mention less QTEs?--and no awful bike section... yeah, Bayo 2 is great but I wish there were more exploration. That's really my only gripe with it.

Well, actually, the final boss was kind of... hm. I didn't hate it at all, but it was kind of underwhelming, in a way. The latter part of the game as a whole just didn't grab me like the rest of it did. I did chuckle on the final chapter, though, which I liked.

Great, great game. Thank you, Platinum Games, Nintendo, and Sega for making this happen. But, seriously, WTF at not using Moon River (Climax Mix) more!? IT'S SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. "Criminally underused" has never been a more appropriate phrase. It's a perfect battle theme that should be interchangeable with Tomorrow is Mine, dammit. JP, pls ;_;

Anyway, these Witch Trials are definitely a welcome bonus. I definitely think the game needed more battles with regular enemies, so this will sate that craving.

Hmm, why? if anything im finding more things to collect in the levels, and they are a bit more complex and open, with all the Musphelheims, journals, items, weapons,crows to find.

I tried to sell a friend on the game today and failed. He usually plays fps's and strategy games. I let him play the prologue but he kept dying so I played and he watched. He didn't like it, said it was too crazy, too fast and too much was going on at the same time so he had no idea what he was doing or what was happening on screen. Also it was too Japanese and he doesn't like playing as a woman. Oh well, I tried. Niche game is niche I guess...

Hypron

Speaking of that, I'm really annoyed that the game doesn't have a quick restart button like MGR:R. Let's face it, if you're going for Pure Platinums you will have to replay encounters so why waste our time like this by making us go through several menus/loading screens (and honestly there are way too many loading screens in this game and they are too long too).

I tried to sell a friend on the game today and failed. He usually plays fps's and strategy games. I let him play the prologue but he kept dying so I played and he watched. He didn't like it, said it was too crazy, too fast and too much was going on at the same time so he had no idea what he was doing or what was happening on screen. Also it was too Japanese and he doesn't like playing as a woman. Oh well, I tried. Niche game is niche I guess...
Your friend sounds awfully close minded.

Yuterald

This has been plaguing Plat games since the dawn of time. You can quit-to-title in like all of their games to remedy mid-chapter/verse/whatever mistakes. You could be a true-core guy, as you suggested, and not "abuse" this little "trick", but at the same time, it's there. Unless you're trying to prove something to someone (or yourself, maybe?) why not use it, right? As much as I like their games, I still think Plat needs some development on its programming/systems-side of things. I still think DMC4 was the last game I thoroughly enjoyed pursuing the highest ranking in.

Fandangox

100% with you on that, hypron. Been on that page for quite a while now.

So did I! lol!

Yeah I did it in W101 cause retrying was so easy that I might as well use the option, plus all the gimmicky sections really put me over trying some of the stages all over again.

Here its mostly all pure combat, so I don't mind retrying everything.

Once again though, like with the items, I will probably be doing that in the hardest difficulty.

Hell I don't think I will ever be able to get PPs even with those two conditions in the hardest difficulty lol

Hypron

This has been plaguing Plat games since the dawn of time. You can quit-to-title in like all of their games to remedy mid-chapter/verse/whatever mistakes. You could be a true-core guy, as you suggested, and not "abuse" this little "trick", but at the same time, it's there. Unless you're trying to prove something to someone (or yourself, maybe?) why not use it, right? As much as I like their games, I still think Plat needs some development on its programming/systems-side of things. I still think DMC4 was the last game I thoroughly enjoyed pursuing the highest ranking in.

Well simply getting Platinum awards in Bayonetta is actually quite similar (or a bit easier) than getting S ranks in DMC4. You really don't need to restart encounters. The issue comes from Pure Platinum awards, since you're pretty much obliged to play perfectly - which is almost impossible to do on the longer chapters (I.e. anything that's not simply a boss chapter) with lots of encounters.

Although, I do prefer DMC4's ranking system as well. I like having to do an entire chapter in one go without having it split down into sub encounters.

thefro

My game hard-locked on Ch 7, when I was nearly done beating the boss. Had to power off the Wii U, then the gamepad.

Oh well, I don't mind replaying that level.

jwillenn

It really does tarnish the quality of the Chapter Pure, but at the same time, maybe it doesn't?
I mean, some Chapters are CONSIDERABLY longer than others, right? Follow me on this.

AUTO SAVE, which Platinum controls just as it controlled Chapter length, can sometimes ruin this exploit. If there are auto saves WITHIN the verse, then it's not going to work. Before I came here to post today, I was chatting with someone on Miiverse about it. He said he didn't do it for Prologue because there were so many auto saves, combo score would be ruined within the verse.

edit:

but I didn't ask him... uh... wouldn't an auto save within the verse include the state of your combo score so that the chain can be continued from there as well?

Seik

Banned
I'm at the chapter XVI...can't wait to see if that last boss will be disappointing to me or not, I heard mixed feelings on GAF.

It really does tarnish the quality of the Chapter Pure, but at the same time, maybe it doesn't?
I mean, some Chapters are CONSIDERABLY longer than others, right? Follow me on this.

AUTO SAVE, which Platinum controls just as it controlled Chapter length, can sometimes ruin this exploit. If there are auto saves WITHIN the verse, then it's not going to work. Before I came here to post today, I was chatting with someone on Miiverse about it. He said he didn't do it for Prologue because there were so many auto saves, combo score would be ruined within the verse.

edit:

but I didn't ask him... uh... wouldn't an auto save within the verse include the state of your combo score so that the chain can be continued from there as well?

You can probably copy your main save file to another slot before attempting to do any of the long verses. If you fuck up, just exit to the main menu and copy your back up over your main file and try again. Worked like a charm in Rising.

jwillenn

It really does tarnish the quality of the Chapter Pure... or does it?

I mean, some Chapters are CONSIDERABLY longer than others, right? Is my Pure for VI (3rd Climax) lesser than my Pure for the demo because there was only one verse?

Follow me on this.

AUTO SAVE points, which Platinum controlled as it controlled Chapter length as it controlled the criteria for Pure Platinum, can sometimes ruin this exploit. If there are auto saves within the verse, then it's not going to work. Before I came here to post today, I was chatting with someone on Miiverse about it. He said he didn't do it for Prologue because there were so many auto saves, combo score would be ruined within the verse (apparently using continue resets combo score while putting you back where you were).

Top Bottom