• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Andrew.

Banned
just beat the game

ENDGAME SPOILERS YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

hearing bayonetta acknowledge baldr as her father? legit tears man

and then

Hearing the original version of moon river at the last credit scene? the tears were even more legit. never thought i'd feel this way about a bayonetta game but the world is full of surprises.

You seriously cried? Like LEGIT TEARS dude?

Jesus.

Voror

Just started today on 3rd Climax and am doing alright. Is it recommended to go for the Mallet first due to the bonus haloes for torture attacks?

Bombless

Just started today on 3rd Climax and am doing alright. Is it recommended to go for the Mallet first due to the bonus haloes for torture attacks?

I'm thinking about it. I'm starting to use torture attacks more and more against regular mobs rather than just press L for LOLSTOMP.

So chapter 12 I believe the boss
Balder
I beat him after dying like 8 times. I went with two whips cause they were fast and could hit him from across the level. Crazy battle. So what is the best way to take him down?

sonicmj1

I'm loving the hell out of this game so far. I was cruising through 3rd Climax with golds for a long time, but once I hit Chapter 7 the game really kicked the difficulty up. I'm gonna have to start getting my Dodge Offset muscle memory back again for some of the more aggressive enemies.

Anyway, I'm up to Chapter 10, and I have a collectibles question:
I got 2/3rds of the record pieces across chapters 8 and 9 (one in each chapter), but I didn't complete the whole thing. Which chapter has two record pieces?

Peff

I'm loving the hell out of this game so far. I was cruising through 3rd Climax with golds for a long time, but once I hit Chapter 7 the game really kicked the difficulty up. I'm gonna have to start getting my Dodge Offset muscle memory back again for some of the more aggressive enemies.

Anyway, I'm up to Chapter 10, and I have a collectibles question:
I got 2/3rds of the record pieces across chapters 8 and 9 (one in each chapter), but I didn't complete the whole thing. Which chapter has two record pieces?

Delt31

Can't believe how TERRIBLE the cut scenes and story are in this game. At first I thought it was just going to be throwaway but they actually take away from the game they are so annoying and dumb. Way too long, way too frequent - how this can be ignored is amazing. Really disappointed -

Astral Dog

Yes I do, at least it isn't drawn out un-entertaining bullshit. I really don't want to shit on this game, because outside of the cut scenes and the in-water combat encounters I'm enjoying it a ton, but the I really think the "story" elements bring this game down. Without the exposition cutscenes the game would be a lot better. Who the fuck gives a shit about Fimbulvinter, the shitty poorly VO'd dipshit squirrel character and everyone surrounding it. The cutscenes are uninteresting, dialogue heavy and take up a ton of time. I'm seriously curious who reads all the diary entries, because they also feature a whole lot of poorly written uninteresting "who gives a shit" text.

I do, the world they created is very cool, and the story of Bayonetta, her journey with Cereza, Jeanne and Luke was filled with great little moments and fun dialogue, and the journals helped to fill the gaps,the best story in the "series" behind DMC 3 only imo..

Now on the other side, the story can be badly presented for budget reasons and there can be more exposition when compared to DMC, so the pacing is affected, i enjoyed watching the cutscenes of Bayonetta 2 when i didnt have the game, they look very cool, but on the game itself they can get annoying .

For example something like this or this brings a smile to my face :)
The DMC team did a good job with Bayonetta imo.

kick51

Banned
Can't believe how TERRIBLE the cut scenes and story are in this game. At first I thought it was just going to be throwaway but they actually take away from the game they are so annoying and dumb. Way too long, way too frequent - how this can be ignored is amazing. Really disappointed -

not amazing, just pause then skip cutscene. i've only watched a couple at the beginning.

So chapter 12 I believe the boss
Balder
I beat him after dying like 8 times. I went with two whips cause they were fast and could hit him from across the level. Crazy battle. So what is the best way to take him down?

in nsic it was all about self control(not being greedy,usually you only have time for an XAX combo) and not dodging early his mix of slow and heavy attacks makes for a truely challenging boss fight. You can also use the bow for his multiple swing combo's since the attacks dont interrupt him and if you've learnt the pattern its free witch time.

andymcc

Banned
Finished it today.

I saw a few posts in here claiming that it isn't that big of an advancement over Bayonetta. It really isn't, but it is a very great refinement of Bayonetta. The highlight of both games for me are the Masked Lumen Sage fights in this one. Not only is the content more generous in this game, it has far less of the problems that many had with the original. There's no Hang On tribute stage, the "shmup" stage that is in this is WAY less frustrating than in Bayonetta. In fact, I'd go as far to say that it's even... well... fun! Obviously, death-causing QTEs are out the window this time too.

Basically, it's a more refined version of the stuff you liked in the first game with the more tedious bits excised.

It's precisely what I wanted.

I'm about halfway through the game and it's very similar to Bayonetta in that regard. The first game had shitloads of long cutscenes as well.

Nohar

Just finished it. Absolutly wonderful, challenging, and I was very satisfied by the story (albeit confused at first, but it's normal when you have
time travel hijinks
, and they really improved one character's backstory).

SPOILERS FOR THE WHOLE DAMN THING

I thought the story was really good actually. I really enjoyed it. Loki was funny, and kinda sweet. Loved his big moment at the end.

Any good card player's a gambler

The Luka upgrade was cool too. His final moment was great as well

I guess not even Gods can see him coming

And as for the masked Lumen?

That's added depth and tragedy to the first game. I really, really liked Balder in this one.He's freaking great

Added a whole bunch of people for tag battle, I'm slightly drunk but let's play!

NNID is Captain_Spanky. Still shocked they let me keep that.

imae

What an incredible game, one of the best i've played in years and my favourite of this year so far(sorry tropical freeze). I'm literally buzzing right now from reflecting on how much I've enjoyed playing the game so far.

I finished the story tonight and just want to go back and play through it again. I'll be playing this game for a long while, replaying chapters to find everything, playing through the hard difficulty, getting platinums, doing the
witch trials
, playing tag climax etc.

I heard you can
unlock the Shuraba, does anyone know how to get it
?.
It's one of my favourite weapons from the first game.

Unit24

Is there any way to practice with the Tag Climax exclusive characters? I don't like jumping into games without knowing my combos.

That was such a good set and I picked such a bad closer. Poop.

Ah well, really good games dragonlife, we'll definitely have to play again!

Seik

Banned
So I just finished the game.

I can understand why some felt
underwhelmed by the final boss
, though it was still pretty cool to me. It just was really more 'funny random shit' than I expected.

In the end though, I can say the Team Kayima wins the 'Most crazy shit in your game' award. W101 was crazier than Bayo 2, no competition imo.

Also,
isn't there a really big opening for a sequel in the end? With Balder putting half the mask and everything...I saw people saying the ending closed all doors for a sequel, wtf?

Hypron

, though it was still pretty cool to me. It just was really more 'funny random shit' than I expected.

Also,
isn't there a really big opening for a sequel in the end? With Balder putting half the mask and everything...I saw people saying the ending closed all doors for a sequel, wtf?

The ending basically shows how Balder in Bayonetta 1 came to be.

Also,

Thought was more of a DMC3 style ending, hinting at him becoming the badguy that he was in the first game. Game already invoked time travel, I imagine he went to the past.

It does kinda feel like they have done everything they could with this whole Bayonetta concept. Which hey, great, if only all games could be so fully-realized, but I don't think I'm clamoring for a Bayonetta 3. Like to see them do something new now. Scalebound or maybe a less rushed version of Metal Gear Rising, or something else entirely.

I just finished it, started with 2nd climax. These days I basically never finish games I buy, but this one.. man this one kept me glued. Completely satisfied with how this game turned out.

Akibared

Also,

I thought it was just showing him losing control and turning evil.

Seik

Banned
The ending basically shows how Balder in Bayonetta 1 came to be.

Thought was more of a DMC3 style ending, hinting at him becoming the badguy that he was in the first game. Game already invoked time travel, I imagine he went to the past.

Oh, I see now.

Well, it's not like there's absolutely no opening for a sequel either though, anything is possible with Bayonetta.

Also,
dat pole dancing on the OG version of Moon River in the end, too bad they didn't use the remix more than 2-3 times in the game, I like it more than Tomorrow is Mine and thought it was going to be the main battle theme, for starters.
:p

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I just finished bayonetta, now im on to bayo 2, cant wait.
10710569_1493138367623826_7683346283790506196_n.jpg

Bombless

Oh, I see now.

Well, it's not like there's absolutely no opening for a sequel either though, anything is possible with Bayonetta.

Also,
dat pole dancing on the OG version of Moon River in the end, too bad they didn't use the remix more than 2-3 times in the game, I like it more than Tomorrow is Mine and thought it was going to be the main battle theme, for starters.
:p

More ending spoilers
Which is also why in the opening scenes the dieing Balder says that Bayonetta finally kept her promise.

Monocle

Yes I do, at least it isn't drawn out un-entertaining bullshit. I really don't want to shit on this game, because outside of the cut scenes and the in-water combat encounters I'm enjoying it a ton, but the I really think the "story" elements bring this game down. Without the exposition cutscenes the game would be a lot better. Who the fuck gives a shit about Fimbulvinter, the shitty poorly VO'd dipshit squirrel character and everyone surrounding it. The cutscenes are uninteresting, dialogue heavy and take up a ton of time. I'm seriously curious who reads all the diary entries, because they also feature a whole lot of poorly written uninteresting "who gives a shit" text.
It's rather misguided to dump all over a game for its robust world building and plot elements just because they aren't to your personal taste. I happen to hugely enjoy all of the stuff you're trashing. To me Bayonetta 2 is much better for it.

Platinum made a giant leap forward from the first game with Bayonetta 2's storytelling and overall presentation. While the original has too much meandering exposition, Bayonetta 2 handles the delivery much better. Cutscenes are shorter overall. The potential tedium of plot talk is offset by the outrageous characters. They're just plain fun to watch and listen to. By the time things get heavy, it feels earned. The characters give the game so much heart and humor with their over the top personalities. The story operates on a grand scale, but at its core there's Bayonetta, just trying to save her friends. Those rare times when some tenderness slips through her wall of icy sass feel honest. When a game with such an absurdly heightened tone can create emotionally authentic moments between ridiculous characters, that seems an awful lot like good writing to me. It helps that the voice actors completely sell their material. They're great, all of them.

As for the other story elements, I like the sense of purpose and place and progression the missions have. The story tells me what I'm doing and provides a sense of urgency that makes me want to keep pushing forward. The background lore tells me where I am, what's important, and why. I like the world the story takes place in, a richly imagined fusion of religious mythological elements in modern and historical settings. Bayonetta 2 does a magnificent job of expanding the first game's universe by showing much more of the human world, Inferno, and Paradiso. Bayonetta 1's art style took me a while to get used to, but I grew to love it, and this sequel confirms that the people at Platinum have stellar design sense and know how to put it to good use. Their original interpretations of familiar subjects like angels and hell are impressive. I also want to mention that I adore all of the text descriptions and extras like the journals, enemy books, and weapon blurbs. They're just plain fascinating to me. Do I need to know that the Gaze of Despair was used to execute a witch hundreds of years ago by calling down the angelic hoards to rip her apart? No I don't. Do I want to? Hell yes I do, that awesome bit of macabre trivia makes this video game item feel like a cool historical artifact. Give me more text, give me all of it.

If the story and world of Bayonetta 2 aren't clicking for you, that's fine, but don't expect your projected cynicism to show you the same picture everyone else sees. In the end Platinum can only cater to the portion of their audience that is entertained rather than annoyed by the cheeky bombast that defines Bayonetta.

RickGhastly

Neo Member
I really wish this game treated its voice acting the same way fighting games often do in regards to being able to switch them around. Hellena Taylor is Bayonetta, much like Hayter is Solid Snake, but Loki? Christ. That's some Castle Shikigami 2-tier talent.

Monocle

just beat the game

ENDGAME SPOILERS YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

hearing bayonetta acknowledge baldr as her father? legit tears man

and then

Hearing the original version of moon river at the last credit scene? the tears were even more legit. never thought i'd feel this way about a bayonetta game but the world is full of surprises.
Yep, so good. Platinum and the voice actors nailed this stuff.

Top Bottom