• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Unit24

I think my main problem with the final battle is that
I was hoping they'd do something that's either the same as the first game, but better, or something completely different. Instead, they did the same thing, but not as good. Granted, it was better in terms of gameplay, because the enemy was man sized instead of giant sized, but still, the spectacle just wasn't there. Oh, he's using a satellite laser on me before throwing it in my face, and I have to throw it back? Big deal, I did that last time. And even the finisher wasn't as satisfying as it should have been, because by then he was already defeated by some convenient ability that Loki had the entire time.

It's not a bad finale at all, it's just not up to Platinum's usual "holy shit this is the greatest thing ever" standards.

Seik

Banned
I was hoping they'd do something that's either the same as the first game, but better, or something completely different. Instead, they did the same thing, but not as good. Granted, it was better in terms of gameplay, because the enemy was man sized instead of giant sized, but still, the spectacle just wasn't there. Oh, he's using a satellite laser on me before throwing it in my face, and I have to throw it back? Big deal, I did that last time. And even the finisher wasn't as satisfying as it should have been, because by then he was already defeated by some convenient ability that Loki had the entire time.

It's not a bad finale at all, it's just not up to Platinum's usual "holy shit this is the greatest thing ever" standards.

To be honest, it'll be hard to top W101's ending.

It was soooooo good and satisfying.

Unit24

They don't need to and probably shouldn't try (unless it's a W101 sequel). Making an ending that's good enough for each game is enough. That's why I'm irritated that, instead of making something unique, they basically just
looked at the Bayo 1 ending and said "eh, let's just do that again". It doesn't work as well the second time, especially not on a smaller scale.

Seik

Banned
They don't need to and probably shouldn't try (unless it's a W101 sequel). Making an ending that's good enough for each game is enough. That's why I'm irritated that, instead of making something unique, they basically just
looked at the Bayo 1 ending and said "eh, let's just do that again". It doesn't work as well the second time, especially not on a smaller scale.

I agree. It's just me that was expecting so much after I heard that both W101 & Bayo's teams were having a little competition on which team would make the craziest game.

Title still goes to Kamiya imo, but Bayo 2 is still freaking crazy though.

I know some people will hate me for this but I wished Angel Attack wasn't cut or at least an unlockable bonus game.

People hated it? I'm having fun with it each time I'm finishing a chapter. :p

They should have just made another kind of mini-game instead of having none at all for the sequel.

Just finished my first playthrough on 3rd Climax. Hard as hell at some points, but it's that proper kind of hard where you're only struggling because you aren't good enough, not because the game's unfair. I'd definitely say 3rd Climax is harder than Bayo 1's Normal, but I feel like it's the best way to experience the game for the first time. You're gonna get Stone medals, of course, but I wouldn't trade those glorious bossfights for the world.

Bayo 2 fixes pretty much every problem I had with the first game. Gone are the insta-death QTEs, gone are the awful vehicle sections. The game's much more liberal with healing items between fights, so you no longer kick off new enemy encounters by immediately dying because you were running on fumes from the last fight. The overall design feels tighter, too, with no levels that go on forever and ever, no inexplicable checkpoints that send you back three Verses.

Bayonetta 1 was always lacking in the boss department, apart from Jeanne and Balder, but the sequel stacks its deck with absolutely glorious one-on-one rival fights that are pure gaming bliss, and even its big angel and demon bosses are way more aggressive and fun to fight this time around. There are very few enemies I feel like I can just wail on in this game.

I feel like the story's a swing and a miss; not that the first game was any great shakes, but Bayo 2 tries for a serious tone that just feels out of character for everyone involved and doesn't play to Platinum's strengths. I just don't buy Bayonetta as being the slightest bit concerned for this schmuck kid, especially one whose voice actor needs to be kicked out of the Union for inflicting that horrific accent on innocent ears. Guy's got absolutely no handle on the accent; that clueless performance seriously degrades the quality of the entire production. Like, how did they get from hearing the guy open his mouth from the first time all the way to pressing discs without anybody involved calling a stop to it?

While it's obviously just an iteration on Kamiya's blueprint, it's a damned good one. I wish the framerate was smoother, I wish they'd get over the idea that weapon pieces should be hidden away so you miss out on that sweet hammer until you find a walkthrough on Youtube (such bullshit!), and I really wish they'd just hired an English person to voice Loki, but those are small flaws in an overall magnificent game.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Fucking about time mangs

zdNbRxM.jpg

Man I can't wait, will my body be ready?

Seik

Banned
Fucking about time mangs

Man I can't wait, will my body be ready?

Maaan, you just got it, like today?

I remember you going all HNNNG last week. The wait must've been intense for you, but you're body is probably ready after all this. :lol

Hope you'll enjoy it. :)

So just to make sure before I start playing: Is '2nd Climax' in Bayonetta 2 the equivalent of the first game's 'Normal'?

It's kind of confusing because in the first game, hard isn't unlocked from the start and there's a 'Very Easy' difficulty option, so it could be that '2nd Climax' is Easy and '3rd Climax' is Normal.

So just to make sure before I start playing: Is '2nd Climax' in Bayonetta 2 the equivalent of the first game's 'Normal'?

It's kind of confusing because in the first game, hard isn't unlocked from the start and there's a 'Very Easy' difficulty option, so it could be that '2nd Climax' is Easy and '3rd Climax' is Normal.

Yeah, just go with 2nd Climax.

Kamiya is the master of bringing everything together at the end of his games.

Just when you think you know how his game will end, you realize you haven't even made it to the final chapter yet. And then he throws everything at you including things you didn't even see coming leaving you thoroughly satisfied.

And then he gives you a nice little bonus with a cool down epilogue/credit sequence

Man is the master of the "Climax" LOL

Shame they tried to
imitate it and miss the whole point of giving the player interactivity. We dodged planets in Bayo1. the least they could have done was have us dodge some birds or a plane or something.

I loved how the ending
went straight into Bayonetta 1. I agonized at whether or not to replay Bayonetta 1 again first or go straight in to Bayo 2. Turns out, you can start at either and be fine! Amazing move, Platinum.

Tried out Salamandra's Just Release follow up on the second Masked Lumen fight(it's one of the few chapters I didn't Platinum on the first go).

Preeeeeeeeetty good.

I loved how the ending
went straight into Bayonetta 1. I agonized at whether or not to replay Bayonetta 1 again first or go straight in to Bayo 2. Turns out, you can start at either and be fine! Amazing move, Platinum.

Hehe, yeah that´s true.

It´s a never ending loop. Play 1 - Play 2 - Play 1 - Play 2. WHERE DOES IT END?!

Fbh

Holy Shit, people were not kidding when they said almost every boss in this game is the equivalent of a final boss in other games.
Seriusly, any of the 2 Masked Lumen guy encounters could have been a very satisfying final boss battle.

Loving the game so far. My only small complain would be that I'd like to have slightly more segments of walking around and fighting regular enemies. So far it feels like you have 1 or 2 encounters with them and then it's cutscene and boss battle.
But it's just a small nitpick on what already feels like a my favorite game of the year

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Maaan, you just got it, like today?

I remember you going all HNNNG last week. The wait must've been intense for you, but you're body is probably ready after all this. :lol

Hope you'll enjoy it. :)

haha yeah, it actually got delivered on tuesday and wednesday while i wasn't at home. this will teach me to get them sent to my workplace lol

but at last I have it! it hasnt been easy man

kick51

Banned
What? Really? Secrets hidden within the levels are some of my favourite things about Bayonetta and W101. I really miss the days of Doom/Quake with secrets hidden everywhere.

A fight that counts towards your rank isn't a secret, it's a requirement. And it just makes for irritating back tracking.

This time around was better than 1, since there are rewards for a lot of them, but they still count towards rank.

Everything else hidden in levels is fine by me.

danmaku

I only played the New York prologue and holy crap. I love how they make it look like a standard Bayo1 boss fight, just your normal everyday angelslaying, and then... surprise!

Subaru

ig8rv17mrMFnu.jpg

Gold again. But I missed some verses, where are they!?! XD

Ora mi sento la necessità di giocare Bayonetta in italiano! It's very charming!

(Totally Google Translator, but italiano it's not so different from português, so it's easy to read =D)

antitrop

The
Sloth
fight in Chapter X really ramps up the difficulty nicely. The whole chapter does, really. Makes sense for what's going on in the story, anyway.

This game's story is much easier to follow than the first one, it's far more straight forward and the Divine Comedy inspiration is more relatable than the Amnesia-filled plot of the first game.

This is a better Dante's Inferno game than the Dante's Inferno game from ~5 years ago. Not that that was a good game, or anything. I mean thematically.

explodet

The
Sloth
fight in Chapter X really ramps up the difficulty nicely. The whole chapter does, really. Makes sense for what's going on in the story, anyway.
That name is a total misnomer,
I would expect some kinda giant Snorlax-sized demon instead of this hopping 6-sword wielding motherfucker

But how about that final fight in Chapter X?
DAMN.

We know who's in charge.

GulAtiCa

I think you should at the very least give 2nd Climax a shot which is still easier than Bayo's Normal from what I heard. They've removed the item penalty for the second game (the only thing you miss out on is a 5k halo bonus at the end of a chapter), so you're free to heal or even use the cheat lollipops.

Yeah, I might do that. Finding 1st climax way too easy (though still getting Silvers. lol)

That name is a total misnomer,
I would expect some kinda giant Snorlax-sized demon instead of this hopping 6-sword wielding motherfucker

But how about that final fight in Chapter X?
DAMN.

We know who's in charge.

I hate this enemy type. I keep getting snagged by his follow up attacks after witch time. It's preventing me from getting gold on this stage.

Oh, and Rodin is apparently a total boss. That end cutscene - CHILL SISTER.

Siegmeyer

Thanks for the all the responses about the morphball guys. Not sure it matters that much now anyway as the more I play of Bayo 2 the less I want to go back to the original!

Astral Dog

I agree. It's just me that was expecting so much after I heard that both W101 & Bayo's teams were having a little competition on which team would make the craziest game.

Title still goes to Kamiya imo, but Bayo 2 is still freaking crazy though.

I think the ending was fine, not for the battle neccesarily, but what i think the ending lacked (wich i wrote in my long, long post giving final impressions of the game,that nobody read :( ) was a final fight with Balder using some of Aesir moves, to make it more surprising and personal, and a proper final level

rugioh

Banned
The
Sloth

This game's story is much easier to follow than the first one, it's far more straight forward and the Divine Comedy inspiration is more relatable than the Amnesia-filled plot of the first game.

This is a better Dante's Inferno game than the Dante's Inferno game from ~5 years ago. Not that that was a good game, or anything. I mean thematically.

Yeah I had been replaying the past few chapters a couple times and started feeling myself before getting into that chapter. Didn't matter in the end, I was getting my ass beat by all the new demons so bad :( Guess I should replay that chapter a few times so I figure out the signs to dodge.

A fight that counts towards your rank isn't a secret, it's a requirement. And it just makes for irritating back tracking.

This time around was better than 1, since there are rewards for a lot of them, but they still count towards rank.

Everything else hidden in levels is fine by me.

But rank is completely optional, and with Beast Within the backtracking literally takes 10 seconds at most when you know where all the hidden verses are. I really loved tracking them down by taking notes on which verses I missed during my first playthrough.

Really?

You make it sound like you have to back track thru the Castle in Castlevania SOTN or the mansion in Resident Evil.

Beast Within the backtracking literally takes 10 seconds at most

10 seconds to a minute at most.
Samus laughs at you!

:p

Seems more like exploring the level than backtracking since one area's distance is less than a mile and half.

hoTmpf0.jpg

Finally got my copy, after looking for this game the entire week.

I've only played the prologue and the first chapter now but I'm already loving it.

Dreavus

I think the hidden verses are alright. It's kinda fun looking for them and not too bad at all if you take a note of which verse you missed and which verse you just fought (eg. If you missed a hidden verse 5, take a look around right after fighting verse 4.)

The one where you have to jump back into the water after swimming all the way to the top of the room took me a few times through to find.

Top Bottom