• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

So after days of going back and forth I bought a Wii U for this two days ago. And it hasn't dissappointed. Haven't been able to get much gametime in, but finished chapter 2 yesterday. Started at 2nd climax but found things rather easy, so I switched to third climax. While I end up golding and getting platinums for a lot of encounters, it's really disheartening to get a stone award at the end, because I died a couple of times during the chapter. Atleast DMC still gave you a B or something, a passing grade so to say. What do you say GAF, switch back to 2nd climax to appease my ego or stick it out on third climax? I die quite a bit usually learning new enemies in an encounter. I felt enemies where nowhere near as aggressive on 2nd climax though. So what's your recommendation? Am I in for hell later sticking it out with third climax?

If that's how you feel, buy the Gaze of Despair and always have it equipped while you play on 2nd Climax (though you may want to make an exception for the human-sized bosses). It should make things a fair bit harder since the enemies will become enraged, so they'll attack more often and won't give you as much time to react to their attacks. It'll also increase your combo score per hit, so you should generally score higher on most verses if you can keep up your combo and not get hit.

It's what I did on 3rd Climax and I had a good time playing through it, though I mainly did that to get higher scores more than anything else.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 8 (Allegiance) was the first noticeable difficulty spike for me, or it could just be a result of my left index finger is band-aided at the moment.

Cronox

Banned
So every Best Buy around me appears to be out of stock for Bayonetta 2, dashing my hopes of combining my B2 purchase with the gamer's club deal. I should say, there are a ton of Best Buys near me. Wtf...

ViviOggi

So after days of going back and forth I bought a Wii U for this two days ago. And it hasn't dissappointed. Haven't been able to get much gametime in, but finished chapter 2 yesterday. Started at 2nd climax but found things rather easy, so I switched to third climax. While I end up golding and getting platinums for a lot of encounters, it's really disheartening to get a stone award at the end, because I died a couple of times during the chapter. Atleast DMC still gave you a B or something, a passing grade so to say. What do you say GAF, switch back to 2nd climax to appease my ego or stick it out on third climax? I die quite a bit usually learning new enemies in an encounter. I felt enemies where nowhere near as aggressive on 2nd climax though. So what's your recommendation? Am I in for hell later sticking it out with third climax?
Enemies don't deal that much damage on 3rd so you must be getting hit quite a bit. There's no shame in doing your first playthrough on 2nd but maybe just using healing items more would be enough to get you through 3rd comfortably? Dodging is key either way and only practice makes perfect.

Chapter 8 (Allegiance) was the first noticeable difficulty spike for me, or it could just be a result of my left index finger is band-aided at the moment.

I feel like the difficulty curve has been pretty smooth so far, but Inferno is definitely serious business. I came straight off playing Bayonetta 1 earlier in the week, so I started on 3rd Climax getting mostly Golds and Platinums. The further I go the more Silvers, Bronzes and Stones I'm getting, and I'm dying 5+ times to bosses. Now that I'm in Inferno I'm even getting stomped by a few regular enemy types the first times I encounter them (dem Sloths...).

Hypron

I played some Tag Climax today for the first time both with the CPU and in multiplayer, and it's a lot of fun. However when things get too intense the game really does turn into a slideshow lol.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Just started chapter 1 and...

iEdQYN7Yx4XBi.jpg

Looks gooood, what a great location to look at. Bayonetta's pose kills me, though :lol

ArynCrinn

Banned
Still no hidden Sai-Fung analog that's been discovered. Guess I'll sleep under the table tonight... :(

Anyway, bout to start out doing a Pure Platinum 3rd Climax 100% run, boss fights and challenge rooms (meslikyheims...zzz whatever) recorded. Maining the Scythe and Kitana, guns always on feet.

Just finished the game, and I'm replaying it, in hard mode.

I regret not playing the game in its hardest difficulty first. It now really feels like a challenge and not just (awesomely) breezing through the ennemies.

I was so impatient I played Bayo 2 directly (I had already played the first a little bit on X360). Will I be able to enjoy it or did Bayo 2 spoil me ? I didn't like the first one slow sections...

Jinjo

Enemies don't deal that much damage on 3rd so you must be getting hit quite a bit. There's no shame in doing your first playthrough on 2nd but maybe just using healing items more would be enough to get you through 3rd comfortably? Dodging is key either way and only practice makes perfect.

Yeah, I always get hit quite a bit, especially when learning new enemies. They do hit a lot harder on third compared to second climax though. Whenever I've learned their movement patterns usually I can gold, sometimes platinum the encounter quite okay. I barely use healing items though lol, so that might be it haha.

If that's how you feel, buy the Gaze of Despair and always have it equipped while you play on 2nd Climax (though you may want to make an exception for the human-sized bosses). It should make things a fair bit harder since the enemies will become enraged, so they'll attack more often and won't give you as much time to react to their attacks. It'll also increase your combo score per hit, so you should generally score higher on most verses if you can keep up your combo and not get hit.

It's what I did on 3rd Climax and I had a good time playing through it, though I mainly did that to get higher scores more than anything else.

Thanks for the tip, might try that if I decide to switch it down to second climax.

Stick to 2nd Climax, you'll have a lot more fun that way. It still feels challenging but you won't be disappointed by awful rankings all the time, as long as you're decent at the game.

You do get a couple of great unlockables for finishing all chapters on 3rd Climax though (in any order). Just remember you can change difficulties whenever you want between chapters.

Yeah exactly. There's something to be said for having a challenge, but I feel this is the type of game that you should be able to play through without dying all the time the first time to enjoy its pacing and the crazy setpieces. I'm gonna give third another go tonight otherwise I'll tune it down. I'll probably go through on a higher difficulty after if my DMC experience is anything to go by. Thanks for the advice.

Hypron

Hello hyperbole my old friend.

Nah I'm not joking. When both players are in umbran climax mode and some of the enemies are still attacking the framerate tanks. That fight were both players are in those mechs and you're fighting that big ass flying enemy is also pretty terrible framerate wise.

rugioh

Banned
I've been replaying the first few chapters like crazy to get dodge offset down and try to get used to the combo system. I was getting confident but Chapter 10 and after everything ramps up so much :( Should I finish my playthrough before replaying chapters and trying to learn the ins and outs of the chapters I've done?

Nah I'm not joking. When both players are in umbran climax mode and some of the enemies are still attacking the framerate tanks. That fight were both players are in those mechs and you're fighting that big ass flying enemy is also pretty terrible framerate wise.

It doesn't become a slideshow, which is what you said, the framerate does take a hit, but not to the point of resembling a literal slideshow. Hence hyperbole. Or you've not seen a slideshow.

It doesn't become a slideshow, which is what you said, the framerate does take a hit, but not to the point of resembling a literal slideshow. Hence hyperbole. Or you've not seen a slideshow.

It actually does. Have you done UC in Tag Climax with both players doing summon finishers during 3 Star encounters? Definitely drops into single digits. Not that it really matters since you're probably stunlocking everything, but there's no hyperbole here.

Hypron

What? Have you never heard that expression used before? No one uses it literally. I know full well it doesn't run at one image ever few seconds. But the framerate in those circumstances gets really bad. Like Blighttown level bad.

Siegmeyer

I'm guessing it's been mentioned already, but can you not morphball in Bayo 1?

Played Bayo 1 first and assumed morphball would replace panther form. Was surprised when it didn't.

Was even more surprised when it DID replace it in 2.

Am I missing something?

antitrop

Bayonetta 2's framerate can occasionally turn into a slideshow and I'm going to eat a horse for breakfast.

teeny

Played Bayo 1 first and assumed morphball would replace panther form. Was surprised when it didn't.

Am I missing something?

Nope, you're not missing anything.

The next idea I thought of was having Samus Bayonetta change to her Morph Ball. This, unfortunately, didn’t make it into Bayonetta Wii U, but… it did make it into Bayonetta 2!

^^^Oh well, they didn't make it lol

Am I missing something?

You get Panther Within at the middle of Bayo 1 instead of having it unlocked from the beginning in Bayo 2.

Beat Chapter V. Having a blast with this so far; Chapter IV and V have really impressed me with their spectacle. Although, even I noticed the framerate dropping a bit during the Chapter IV boss fight.

Am I missing something?

Nah, it's a 2 only thing, iirc.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey

Am I missing something?

Bayo 2 is a game they built from the ground up with these features in mind, while they were probably just ported as skins into Bayo 1. Just a thought.

Fbh

Finally managed to get this yesterday. Played until chapter 3, so far it's really awesome.

Started on third climax and the difficulty is great, not really hard when you know what you are doing but as soon as you get distracted and start button mashing it will punish you... I've gotten mostly silver awards which is ok for the first playthrough.

Also wow chapter 3. That whole level looks amazing

T.O.P

Banned
Just finished Bayo 1 (last few chapters are even better than i remembered), will give it a Hard rapid playthrough and i'm finally off to play this

Expectations right now are insane :3

Her Wicked Weaves are more powerful and her dodge is unlimited, though. I love playing as Jeanne.

Yeah, I noticed she deals more damage.
Now that I know it's hard to trigger Witch Time with her, I can stop trying and dodge as there's no tomorrow (didn't know she has unlimited dodge until now). I was playing with her the same way I was playing with Bayo. Time to change my gameplay style.

Seik

Banned
Are Bayo 2 cutscenes in-engine though? Since the costume doesn't change with them.

What do you mean? She actually always have her alt. costume in all cutscenes, as far as I know...except the intro because I didn't even tried to watch it entirely while wearing a new costume.

Top Bottom