• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Bayo 1 and Bayo 2 ending spoiler:

Basically past Balder was brought by Non-loki into the present, then he was sent to the past alongside Bayonetta by Loki after getting his power, then gets back to the present with Bayonetta, then after sucking non-loki inside of him, he gets send to the past again before Bayonetta 1 events

Man, whats the trick to play decently as Jeanne?
It's hard as hell to activate Witch Time with her!

Jeanne can only activate Witch Time with Moth Within, that is, using evade as soon you get hit instead of just before getting hit. So yeah, playing with her is quite hard.

Up to chapter 9 and I now have every ability. Guess I should buy a couple of accessories next hey?

Anyway game is very enjoyable. I'm getting a hang of things a lot better than I did with the first, seeing as I've played DMC, W101 and MGR in between them. Much more familiar with the genre.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Just started on this after beating the 1st. Since the 1st at Normal was kinda brutal, I'm starting at 1st Climax difficulty. Though really easy currently, but having a lot of fun. Then again.. I found Normal to be easy-ish early on until I started dying left and right. haha

I played 2nd climax(normal) even after the first game, idk if its because i got better at bayonetta or its easier or both(Im pretty sure its both) but its easier than bayo1, I think its because the controls are so tight this time around even compared to the first game, you actually dodge into witch when you actually press the button at the right time.

Jintor

The Right Eye thing is the only issue I'm finding with the Balder time travel stuff. His Eye of the World traveled forward with him in time and he lost it to Aesir and Loki eventually erased it. When Balder/Not-Loki travel back to pre-Bayonetta 1, that Eye shouldn't exist at that point since Balder took it with him to the future.

I need a Doc Brown chalkboard gif right about now

It could be that
Loki only erased it from that point in time in the future; when Balder + Aesir travelled back to the past it reactivated since it was in the pre-erasure time period.
That of course is making up/guessing at some stuff about how the Eyes work but *complicated shrug in witch time*

Miker

Just finished it tonight after getting it Monday evening. My GOTY unless I find three friends who constantly want to play Smash with me. Which I won't. But yeah, flawless pacing, excellent level design, gorgeous use of color, and overall it's so damn good the Holy Trinity of character action games might need a new spot. I was a bit disappointed with the final boss compared to Bayo 1, but otherwise it's impressive how much Platinum improved on the formula.

The plot still doesn't make any goddamn sense though.

Dereck

Bat Within is cheap as fuck
rhQaQY3.png

Astral Dog

The Right Eye thing is the only issue I'm finding with the Balder time travel stuff. His Eye of the World traveled forward with him in time and he lost it to Aesir and Loki eventually erased it. When Balder/Not-Loki travel back to pre-Bayonetta 1, that Eye shouldn't exist at that point since Balder took it with him to the future.

I need a Doc Brown chalkboard gif right about now

It could be that
Loki only erased it from that point in time in the future; when Balder + Aesir travelled back to the past it reactivated since it was in the pre-erasure time period.
That of course is making up/guessing at some stuff about how the Eyes work but *complicated shrug in witch time*

Loptr intented to go to a point in time when he is able to use the Eyes of the World again, Balder regained the Right Eye after that., so yeah you are right.

LOCK

So I finally got the game. The Gamestops near me only got enough to cover pre-orders and a douche at one refused to sell me a copy even though nobody had picked it up days after it came out. Douche. Every other store either got like 1-3 copies that sold out instantly or didn't get the game at all. Finally today at Walmart, 1 lonely copy was sitting in the rack. I asked the employee why they didn't have many, and he said that they only got another 2 copies.

Nintendo is being very careful it seems with over-shipment.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So I finally got the game. The Gamestops near me only got enough to cover pre-orders and a douche at one refused to sell me a copy even though nobody had picked it up days after it came out. Douche. Every other store either got like 1-3 copies that sold out instantly or didn't get the game at all. Finally today at Walmart, 1 lonely copy was sitting in the rack. I asked the employee why they didn't have many, and he said that they only got another 2 copies.

Nintendo is being very careful it seems with over-shipment.

Makes sense when there are not that many Wii U's in peoples homes sadly

Damn it feels pretty hard to rack up solid points with the bow

The bow's meh. I thought it was going to be some great melee/projectile "one-shot" hybrid taking the place of the shotguns or rockets from Bayo 1, but it's not that fun to use IMO. Maybe if it could shoot wicked weaves...

ViviOggi

Just started on this after beating the 1st. Since the 1st at Normal was kinda brutal, I'm starting at 1st Climax difficulty. Though really easy currently, but having a lot of fun. Then again.. I found Normal to be easy-ish early on until I started dying left and right. haha
I think you should at the very least give 2nd Climax a shot which is still easier than Bayo's Normal from what I heard. They've removed the item penalty for the second game (the only thing you miss out on is a 5k halo bonus at the end of a chapter), so you're free to heal or even use the cheat lollipops.

Alfredo

I just beat Bayo 2. I liked it, but I think I liked Bayo 1 more.

So I put in Bayo 1 on the Wii U to see what it's like, and I find that it controls (on the Gamepad) just like how it did on 360, meaning R is lock-on. But Bayo 2 defaults do ZL as lock-on, which is what I played with for the entirety of that game. So...I'm gonna have to relearn the controls again!

It's funny, I went from Bayo 1 360 to Bayo 2 and back to Bayo 1 Wii U and the default controls were different in each of 'em.

What's the dealio with the default controls being different in Bayo 1 and Bayo 2 Wii U? Could they not keep it the same for some reason? Did they add or take out button actions between them?

I just beat Bayo 2. I liked it, but I think I liked Bayo 1 more.

So I put in Bayo 1 on the Wii U to see what it's like, and I find that it controls (on the Gamepad) just like how it did on 360, meaning R is lock-on. But Bayo 2 defaults do ZL as lock-on, which is what I played with for the entirety of that game. So...I'm gonna have to relearn the controls again!

It's funny, I went from Bayo 1 360 to Bayo 2 and back to Bayo 1 Wii U and the default controls were different in each of 'em.

What's the dealio with the default controls being different in Bayo 1 and Bayo 2 Wii U? Could they not keep it the same for some reason? Did they add or take out button actions between them?
They changed the controls because of Umbran Climax, you can change them to Bayonetta 1 style by using Type-B.

Alfredo

They changed the controls because of Umbran Climax, you can change them to Bayonetta 1 style by using Type-B.

Oh, right. I forgot about that, despite how often I used it in Bayo 2, lol.

I should've played Bayo 2 with Type-B from the start then...which was actually how I thought I was playing it before I realized that R was changing my weapons instead of locking on.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ok I massively regret that choice HOLY FUCK he hit way harder than before

Edit: LOL damn, the hardest setting guys balance feels all over the place x.x/

Damn this isn't my genre usually but with all that praise this is getting, i'd REALLY want to try it hmmm :( Unfortunately i couldn't even bring myself to ever finish a DMC or Ninja Gaiden game, partly because of the difficulty, partly because i didn't have the drive to keep going and got sidetracked by other stuff i guess...

Should i still give this a go though?

Danielsan

I've been replaying some of the earlier chapters on third climax (I switched over from two halfway down the game) and I've been having a ton more fun on them. Skip cutscene (without hitting pause) is a god send and knowing most of the layouts somehow makes the game more fun. Even the shittacular water sections are less of a hassle now. The game is really moving up on my list. I've also been tackling some of the lost chapters, which are pure fun to me. No filler, just combat.

Absolutely. Bayonetta's very accommodating, difficulty-wise. There's a regular Easy mode, a Very Easy where the game will do complicated combos for you while you just hammer on the buttons, and even one where you control the action with swipes and taps on the touch screen. No shame in starting on the easiest mode and working your way up if you find out you like it.

Monocle

Damn this isn't my genre usually but with all that praise this is getting, i'd REALLY want to try it hmmm :( Unfortunately i couldn't even bring myself to ever finish a DMC or Ninja Gaiden game, partly because of the difficulty, partly because i didn't have the drive to keep going and got sidetracked by other stuff i guess...

Yeah, you can adjust the difficulty any time. The game eases you into its combat system and there are plenty of ways to make things easier or just plain different if your current playing style isn't working. Bayonetta 2 is really friendly to newcomers.

Jinjo

So after days of going back and forth I bought a Wii U for this two days ago. And it hasn't dissappointed. Haven't been able to get much gametime in, but finished chapter 2 yesterday. Started at 2nd climax but found things rather easy, so I switched to third climax. While I end up golding and getting platinums for a lot of encounters, it's really disheartening to get a stone award at the end, because I died a couple of times during the chapter. Atleast DMC still gave you a B or something, a passing grade so to say. What do you say GAF, switch back to 2nd climax to appease my ego or stick it out on third climax? I die quite a bit usually learning new enemies in an encounter. I felt enemies where nowhere near as aggressive on 2nd climax though. So what's your recommendation? Am I in for hell later sticking it out with third climax?

Monocle

So after days of going back and forth I bought a Wii U for this two days ago. And it hasn't dissappointed. Haven't been able to get much gametime in, but finished chapter 2 yesterday. Started at 2nd climax but found things rather easy, so I switched to third climax. While I end up golding and getting platinums for a lot of encounters, it's really disheartening to get a stone award at the end, because I died a couple of times during the chapter. Atleast DMC still gave you a B or something, a passing grade so to say. What do you say GAF, switch back to 2nd climax to appease my ego or stick it out on third climax? I die quite a bit usually learning new enemies in an encounter. I felt enemies where nowhere near as aggressive on 2nd climax though. So what's your recommendation? Am I in for hell later sticking it out with third climax?
Stick to 2nd Climax, you'll have a lot more fun that way. It still feels challenging but you won't be disappointed by awful rankings all the time, as long as you're decent at the game.

You do get a couple of great unlockables for finishing all chapters on 3rd Climax though (in any order). Just remember you can change difficulties whenever you want between chapters.

Top Bottom