• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Is this game really that good? (serious question)

Given the (extremely) low profile of the WiiU and that Nintendo is actually publishing the game, it reeks of publisher money...
Tell me this, who forked over the publisher money when Bayonetta 1 did a 90% on the XBox 360 and 87% on the PS3?

So, I noticed Bayonetta 2 is $50 bucks on eShop. I'll still get Bayo 1 free with digital right?

IIRC they mentioned selling the games separately digitally but combined for the same price as retail. So a 10$ Bayo 1 should be in there somewhere.

What region are you in? Can you actually order already?

Out of curiosity, for people who have ordered Bayonetta 2 from Amazon, what does your estimated shipping date say?

Mine says October 28th, which is no fucking bueno.

Not sure, I waited until yesterday to pre-order mine, its showing as same day release.

Guaranteed delivery by: Friday, October 24, 2014 by 8pm

Not free, it discounts to $10 when you buy Bayonetta 2.

So it works out to the same as retail price (give or take two cents).

Bayonetta 1 is $10 if you buy Bayonetta 2 digitally.

Okay. Nothing's changed for me then. So now I wait for triple Plat week.

What region are you in? Can you actually order already?

NA and nah. Just saw the price and thought we were getting an even better deal out of nowhere.

ChaosXVI

Glad to see it's reviewing so well, not that I was really expecting any different at this point. Definitely cannot wait to get my hands on it.

Do I dare to dream that this game could somehow be successful and sell 1 million copies before the end of the year?

Never going to happen...but I'm gonna do my part dammit!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Out of curiosity, for people who have ordered Bayonetta 2 from Amazon, what does your estimated shipping date say?

I just ordered it now and it's showing the 24th. Maybe try cancelling/reordering to fix it.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I feel bad that I have almost zero interest in this game/series.

-Horizon-

No, but it will get the system some attention.

Splatoon will be the game to break the Wii U out of its slump.

You just watch.

tumblr_n7eik4HWoV1skvakgo1_250.gif

I want to believe so hard, don't mess this up Nintendo.

meppi

My amazon.fr first print edition says:

Livraison prévue : samedi 25 octobre 2014 - lundi 27 octobre 2014

So that's not so good either. :(

But then again I have faith in shopto to get me my regular double pack the day of release or even a day early. ;)

In that other life, who's going to pay to make the game?

In that other life I'm the actual creator of Minecraft and after selling it for 2 billion dollars to Macrosoft, I funded the development of Bayonetta 2, God Hand 2, Megaman Legends 3 (after buying it from Capcpcom, which actually is named like that in that other world) and Valkyria Profile 3.

Kriken

In that other life I'm the actual creator of Minecraft and after selling it for 2 billion dollars to Macrosoft, I funded the development of Bayonetta 2, God Hand 2, Megaman Legends 3 (after buying it from Capcpcom, which actually is named like that in that other world) and Valkyria Profile 3.

But no Vanquish 2? Ugh, that other life sucks :(

ImadKhan

http://www.dailydot.com/geek/bayonetta-2-review/

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that Nintendo wanted to tone down Bayonetta's overt sexuality, so her dialog and attitude were stripped down for less innuendo. The irony is that if she had been given a more overtly sexual characterization in Bayonetta 2 then there would have been more opportunities for her to have agency over her sexuality.

But without that empowered, independent characterization from the first game, all of the sequel's lingering camera angles and convenient crotch shots come across as more creepy than playful.

That’s a shame, because the combat in Bayonetta 2 is the epitome of playful. The weapon variety makes experimenting with new combos a joy, and well-balanced encounters with creative enemy variety ensures that you will need to experiment with every tool at your disposal to survive. In terms of polish, variety, and just pure fun, there is a very strong case to be made for Bayonetta 2 as Platinum Games' best action game yet.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Spaziogames.it 9/10

Pros:

- Combat system is stratosferic
- To say "spectacular" is a severe understatement
- replayable and content rich
- exhilarating co-op

Cons:
- a few framerate dips when the action gets particularly hectic
- the story is as dumb as they come
- some of the boss fights go so overboard to degenerate the combat system

mine says 29th, with Prime (would be fine if its 28th - my birthday btw :p), might need to find a customer rep and ask them why

kunonabi

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that Nintendo wanted to tone down Bayonetta's overt sexuality, so her dialog and attitude were stripped down for less innuendo. The irony is that if she had been given a more overtly sexual characterization in Bayonetta 2 then there would have been more opportunities for her to have agency over her sexuality.

But without that empowered, independent characterization from the first game, all of the sequel's lingering camera angles and convenient crotch shots come across as more creepy than playful.

That’s a shame, because the combat in Bayonetta 2 is the epitome of playful. The weapon variety makes experimenting with new combos a joy, and well-balanced encounters with creative enemy variety ensures that you will need to experiment with every tool at your disposal to survive. In terms of polish, variety, and just pure fun, there is a very strong case to be made for Bayonetta 2 as Platinum Games' best action game yet.

its already been established that Nintendo made no attempts to tone it down. I really wish people would get that through their thick skulls.

chadboban

Given what I read concerning Bayo's Link costume, I think he would've lost that bet.

http://www.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=837467

Mat-triX

its already been established that Nintendo made no attempts to tone it down. I really wish people would get that through their thick skulls.
If anything, Nintendo ENCOURAGED it. Like the 'Hero of Hyrule' Costume, Nintendo said to remove her undershirt since covering up would not be very 'Bayonetta-like', despite it being more in line with Link.

EDIT: Beaten by above poster with LINK
get it?!?

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

No Shenmue 3 or Dreamcast 2 huh. You're dead to me in this life and the other!

Alex

I want to want this but I always struggle with these action games that have gigantic lists of combo strings. After about Monster Hunter or Tera is where my brain begins to start producing smoke trying to remember these things combined with boss patterns.

Spaziogames.it 9/10

Pros:

- Combat system is stratosferic
- To say "spectacular" is a severe understatement
- replayable and content rich
- exhilarating co-op

Cons:
- a few framerate dips when the action gets particularly hectic
- the story is as dumb as they come
- some of the boss fights go so overboard to degenerate the combat system

The last two cons just plain sound like regular Bayonetta. And that's only a good thing.

Majestad

Banned
Is this game really that good? (serious question)

Given the (extremely) low profile of the WiiU and that Nintendo is actually publishing the game, it reeks of publisher money...

Your posts reeks stupidity and ignorance. You didn't play the first Bayonetta obviously. So you shouldn't make idiotic statements like that.

If he were a betting man he'd be a homeless tramp sleeping in the doorway of a bookies

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I want to want this but I always struggle with these action games that have gigantic lists of combo strings. .

Than this is the action game for you (and me).
The combos are extremely simple but, better yet, they're simple 'cause they make sense so you can pull them off just by experimenting with the buttons building on a very simple logic.
Just download the demo and practice in training mode (where you have a constantly re-spawning enemy and you can't die).
Seriously, that's one of the main reasons I loved Bayo 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom