• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
Holy shit...I finally did it....I got my time down to 2:59:53 game completion time...

shit that was challenging...but oh so rewarding...time to get my bracelet of time

ConcealedBlaze said:
Certainly surprised the hell out of me. When it was first announced, I literally sighed and thought about what an awful game it was going to be. Glad to be proved wrong!

How anyone figured this game would turn out horribly with the developer's pedigree behind it astounds me.

Why the hell am I playing through this for the third time!? I never do that with new games, let alone on the hardest difficulty. I feel like I should take a break and play some other games but I'm afraid I'll get rusty fast. No way I'll be able to take on infinite climax then.

Seriously, this game is too good. I don't want to call it my game of the generation yet but it's definitely in the top 3.

Korey

Mike G.E.D. said:
I can for sure say this is my game of the generation.

Its really hard to remember the last game that has engrossed me like Bayonetta has.
Yes. I also don't think there will be much of a backlash. It's one of the best games of the generation. I also love that it's super concise. It does what it wants to, ends, and then you love it so much you replay it immediately.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Korey said:
Yes. I also don't think there will be much of a backlash. It's one of the best games of the generation. I also love that it's super concise. It does what it wants to, ends, and then you love it so much you replay it immediately.

And yet, there is backlash in this very thread. Some people will never be able to simply enjoy games, and will feel the need to compare them to every other games they ever played.

Such is the Internet.

vg260

Anyone check out the strategy guide? Is it worthwhile?

Been dying to play this, but just finished Darksiders, and probably could use a break from the Heaven and Hell stuff. :p Gonna play through Batman then this. Glad to hear it's awesome.

TreIII

Net_Wrecker said:
How anyone figured this game would turn out horribly with the developer's pedigree behind it astounds me.

To be fair, at least PART of the studio that was formerly Clover Studios and would go on to become Platinum Games....gave us Viewtiful Joe Battle Carnival/Red Hot Rumble.

A blemish on an otherwise shining resume, but yeah... :lol :lol

TheCardPlayer said:
And yet, there is backlash in this very thread. Some people will never be able to simply enjoy games, and will feel the need to compare them to every other games they ever played.

Such is the Internet.

Bayonetta is the best game I've played since Bioshock or Portal came out, and that's some high praise coming from me, but opinions differ. It's not backlash, just people who don't enjoy the game.

Decado

How do you keep the additional health you get from those heart things? It looks like my health bar is now the same size as when I started the game (and no, I'm not referring to when the bar gets so big that you're give a little round orb dot thingy).

This game is very frustrating. So well done in some areas, but so incredibly awful (and often poorly explained) in others.

Zertez

2&2 said:
Anyone check out the strategy guide? Is it worthwhile?

Been dying to play this, but just finished Darksiders, and probably could use a break from the Heaven and Hell stuff. :p Gonna play through Batman then this. Glad to hear it's awesome.
I don't think the guide is out yet. I could be mistaken though.

RuGalz

Beat the game today. Man, despite technical issues on PS3 and a few minor issues with the game itself, best action game of this genre ever! I get sensory overload playing this game...

Not only the gameplay, all the little extra things they do throughout the game are great.

Funny thing about PS3 version is that the demo level is like one of the worst offenders... Framerate can be low in other areas but they almost feel like intentional slowdown like old school shooters, so they aren't bothersome.

Dahbomb

TheCardPlayer said:
I could give you DMC3 even if I disagree...but DMC4? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol The biggest DMC fansite on the internet is on the verge of shutting down, due to the game's insane suckage. That's right, most hardcore DMC fans lost interest in the series after DMC4. Just ask Dahbomb. Man is the biggest DMC fan on the forum, and I'm pretty sure he could tell you the same thing.

And reusing levels. No. DMC4 had you play through the same levels with no differences, fighting the bosses in the same areas. Bayonetta has you play through different dimensions, in the same city. The city stays the same but the level layout goes batshit crazy. In Paradiso, the place is totally fractured and you have to play through broken, floating parts, reaching them on goddamn spinning light platforms.

Not the same thing at all.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions. That other guy brought up some valid points against Bayonetta though I personally don't agree with some of them.

DMC4 is not a "bad" game, in fact it's a very solid, good action game. It's the most accessible DMC game out of all of them and does add things to the series that are genuinely good. It does however have it's share of faults, mostly because it was coming from the heels of DMC3 which was such an advancement in the genre that to see DMC4 take some "sidesteps" was a bit disappointing. Stuff like adding a new character without a proper backstory and with a very limited arsenal of weapons/moves plus essentially copy/pasting DMC3 Dante into DMC4 with backtracking of the entire game and bosses was obviously not going to sit well with the fans.

I would say that after DMC4 most DMC sites have hit a slow period. That's really because there is nothing new to talk about, everything has been talked about to death. There is little new activity on the IGN DMC boards as well and I would assume on Gamespot/Gamefaqs as well. PB doesn't get much activity as well. The fact that Capcom doesn't even SUPPORT DMC4 post-release doesn't sit well with the fans, it's like Capcom refuses to acknowledge the obvious faults in the game.

And now Bayonetta has hit and DMC4 is blown out of the water. Yes, I would say for SURE that Bayonetta is the best action game of this generation. It is essentially what a sequel to DMC3 should've been (ie. what DMC4 should've been) as far as pushing the boundaries. For me, it is simply a superior title to DMC4. Whether it is better than DMC3SE or DMC1 is up for debate because there is an entire generation gap between those games so it's a difficult comparison.

Capcom should be sweating bullets right now because they need a miracle for DMC5 to be relevant in the eyes of gamers, even those who are stylish action fans. A lot of the DMC fanbase has moved to Bayonetta but personally if Capcom can deliver then I will always be interested in a new DMC game.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Dahbomb said:
For me, it is simply a superior title to DMC4. Whether it is better than DMC3SE or DMC1 is up for debate because there is an entire generation gap between those games so it's a difficult comparison.

Oh wow. You just kind of made me think right there. While I think Bayonetta, is obviously the better game of the bunch, does it truly pushes the envelope in the same way DMC1 and 3 in particular, did on the PS2? I'm not really sure of that. I'll always remember the feeling I had first playing DMC and slowly understanding the sheer depth and polish of the whole thing. Yes, Bayonetta is the better game but it sure didn't make a bigger splash than DMC or DMC3.

Oh great, now I'm confused. You're right. I'm not being entirely fair on the DMC games here. Looking at them, the same way I looked at them, the day of release, then Bayonetta does lose some of it's luster for sure.

tirminyl

I just finished a 7hr session with this game and I love it! I don't know what else to say besides that really. Oh, it is hilarious as well. So many times I am laughing out loud whats going on because it is insane. A great game to kick off my 2010 gaming year.

tirminyl said:
I just finished a 7hr session with this game and I love it! I don't know what else to say besides that really. Oh, it is hilarious as well. So many times I am laughing out loud whats going on because it is insane. A great game to kick off my 2010 gaming year.

I have to agree with you on all those points.

One thing I found amazing about Bayonetta as well is how much replay value it has. I have actually been completing a few chapters repeteadly just so I can get better scores at them. The last 3 hours of the game I have been doing this even though I haven't finished the game yet :lol :lol :lol

Made it through hard and despite dying multiple times from the flaming Ardor spam, Gracious and Glorious spam, Wicked Weave spam, the "always loose QTE button smashes to Jeanne" bullshit, and the ridiculous damage scale. I will be playing on normal from now on. No way will I do infinite climax. Witch time is the appeal of this game, so it doesn't make sense to play without it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
TheCardPlayer said:

Such is the Internet.
backlash is apparent in some cases like MGS4, GTA4 and Bioshock (all of which I actually still like to varying degrees), but in Bayonetta's case the response is still overwhelmingly positive, with some opposing opinions, which is normal.

Dreavus

Fixed2BeBroken said:
Holy shit...I finally did it....I got my time down to 2:59:53 game completion time...

shit that was challenging...but oh so rewarding...time to get my bracelet of time

Hopefully you actually enjoy using the item. I finally unlocked it, tried it out a bit, and removed it almost immediately. :lol I just wasn't feeling it for some reason; I felt like it drained magic very/too quickly.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dreavus said:
Hopefully you actually enjoy using the item. I finally unlocked it, tried it out a bit, and removed it almost immediately. :lol I just wasn't feeling it for some reason; I felt like it drained magic very/too quickly.
I don't have it on all the time, but it can be a fun way to mix up my playstyle when I repeat chapters. That's what I like about the accessories in this game. None are essential, and yet each one introduces a really cool new mechanic that can really change the way you play the game. It makes me wonder what the game would have been like if the Witch-Time was always mapped to LB/L1, or if counters played a bigger role. It's makes repeat playthroughs really neat.

I can see how people would weigh things I consider minor annoyances (QTEs, platforming, etc.) really heavily.

I've played the game for 40 hours in less than two weeks and I'm not done with it yet. That alone speaks highly of the title.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
ArachosiA 78 said:
As a person who pretty much hated DMC4 but absolutely loved Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, do you guys think I would enjoy Bayonetta?
Yes. I stongly disliked DMC4, and loved NG1 (NG2 had too much technical issues for me to enjoy fully), and I looooved Bayonetta.

Just beat chapter 5 in infinite climax mode. The harvest rosary accessory is seriously a life saver. There's still been a bunch of close calls and I honestly don't know how I'll be able to get past certain parts without witch time. My hands are gonna hurt more than the time I played the X missions in Trauma Center.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ShockingAlberto said:
I can see how people would weigh things I consider minor annoyances (QTEs, platforming, etc.) really heavily.

I've played the game for 40 hours in less than two weeks and I'm not done with it yet. That alone speaks highly of the title.

The game definitely has faults I could see people hating--to me personally I can't stand the scoring system which sucks because I usually love replaying these on higher difficulties for ranks. I would just love to show my appreciation for the game by plat/pure plating the entire game but above normal I think it's just a lesson in frustration due to a few different factors.

goldenpp72

ArachosiA 78 said:
As a person who pretty much hated DMC4 but absolutely loved Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, do you guys think I would enjoy Bayonetta?

I thought dmc4 was decent and love ninja gaiden, I think bayonetta might be better than NG but i'm not sure yet.. I love both a lot.

Korey

I've done pretty much all I can in normal, and am getting ready to do my first hard mode playthrough.

Any suggestions on a weapon/accessory set-up for hard? Using cheats I have pillow talk and bracelet of time, and I have all the alt weapons and most of the purchasable accessories.

Korey said:
I've done pretty much all I can in normal, and am getting ready to do my first hard mode playthrough.

Any suggestions on a weapon/accessory set-up for hard? Using cheats I have pillow talk and bracelet of time, and I have all the alt weapons and most of the purchasable accessories.

vs anti-witch time enemies like gracious and glorious - evil rosary
vs any other enemies - moon of mahaa-kalaa and eternal testimony

shuraba + kilgore PPPPK and PKP are both very strong, then put something like bazillions + odette as a 2nd set if you need speed.

george_us

DMC4 could of been amazing if Capcom hadn't caved in and shoehorned Dante in it. Nero's Devil Bringer and Rev mechanic brought a fresh new spin on the series. All it needed was different weapons for Nero and more levels.

Bayonetta though, goddamn. I'm still playing this and it's like it takes all of the good from DMC, Ninja Gaiden, and God of War, and wraps it into this amazing package. The speed and aggressive enemies, the depth of DMC3, and the crazy level design, epic bosses, and bloody finishers of God of War with some awesome Sega nostalgia sprinkled in (the Outright/Space Harrier levels are amazing). I wish there was some way Hideki Kamiya could take over all of Sega's creative teams. He seems to be the only one who actually knows what Sega's about anymore.

Colocho

Banned
Ok so I beat the game and I just have to say it's an incredible experience that I had never felt from a game before. I don't even like DMC, NG and that type of games all that much, but this, this is just on a completely different level, the only parts I disliked were the bike and missile section (not because they were terrible, but the just dragged on for too long).

So obviously this is my GOTY so far, but I have hard time thinking anything will surpass it, unless some game I've read nothing about comes out of nowhere and blows me away, there's a huge chance it'll stay my GOTY and maybe even of the generation, although MGS4 still holds a big place in my heart <3 (hate all you want).

Aske

I think I can safely say that this will be the first game in which I actually get all the achievements/trophies. No other game has been sufficiently single-player focused, reasonable in its requirements, and fun. I am not going to beat NG2 six times while limiting myself to only one weapon per run just for the achievements. That's not fun for me. But in Bayonetta I get given achievements for doing what I'd be doing anyway; and more importantly they're tied to game changing unlockables. I like achievements in theory and enjoy unlocking them up to a point, but I won't go far out of my way to collect them for their own sake. Picking them up in Bayonetta feels as natural as hopping over a wall to smash open a chest.

The game really is disgustingly good. I've never bothered to shoot for good scores or times in an action game before - I just try to unlock the cool stuff and beat each successive difficulty. Tying stuff I normally wouldn't bother with like near-perfect chapter grades or speed runs to rewards is opening up a whole new way of thinking about action games for me. I'd normally be working on Infinite Climax after beating Hard mode. Instead I'm back on Normal picking up any chests, Alfheims or crows I missed on my first run, and playing with speed and perfection in mind for the ~3 hour and Platinum rewards. And aside from the missile stage, I don't see myself getting tired of a single verse.

Man, hearing all these glowing opinions really makes me believe the 360 version of Bayonetta is a completely different game!

I went to Gamersyde and watched a couple of 60fps vids ....and yeah, it is pretty much =(

comedian

Finished the game in my first playthrought (Normal) in under 8 hours (PS3). Really enjoyed the game, though I have to admit that whenever my room mate who is not a gamer would watch me play I felt embarrassed.

Apart from the section with the appearing and dissapearing tiles, I never had a problem with fps or anything else.

Finally beat it on Climax and unlocked Pillow Talk. Then I went back through chap 2 on Normal to try it out. Outside of being green, I don't see what it does that's better than the regular sword?

There's only one issue I have with the game. On the final boss:
the 3rd part where you have to jump from rock to rock, the jump queue gets messes up too much. She'll often jump striaght up instead of jumping to the next rock. I find this part to be down right annoying each time now. Esp more on hard and climax.

Not much left to go except a normal run through with a guide to get all the chests and alhiems. Never has there been a game I can recall this generation that I've put this many hours into since I opened it. Amazing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
pillow talk can be super-charged, making it super devastating for a limited amount of time after you charge it up (by holding down Y/triangle)

Aske

george_us said:
DMC4 could of been amazing if Capcom hadn't caved in shoehorned Dante in it. Nero's Devil Bringer and Rev mechanic brought a fresh new spin on the series. All it needed was different weapons for Nero and more levels.

Couldn't have said it better myself. DMC4 was a phenomenal game that was sadly ruined by appalling level design and dry pacing. Bosses other than Credo were extremely weak, and Dante should have been a bonus character. But the core combat was magnificent, as was much of the enemy design. The possessed armor blew all of DMC3's regular enemies out of the water. It always saddens me when the game is written off as trash. The Rev and Devil Bringer are always forgotten - understandably, if unfairly - amidst the criticism of the game's many glaring faults; but DMC4 was a hair away from being a genre evolving action game. I don't have much interest in going back and playing DMC4 again, but I'll still be there day 1 for DMC5.

Rez said:
pillow talk can be super-charged, making it super devastating for a limited amount of time after you charge it up (by holding down Y/triangle)

So can the regular sword. So you're saying that pillow talk charge >>> reg sword charge?

Top Bottom