• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
Corky said:
doh but thats cheats :( I thought he meant somekind of shortcut,

A shortcut posted in the cheats section?

Haven't picked this up yet, how long are people taking on their first play throughs and subsequent?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
palpabl_purpura said:
1)Scoring system: Using items counts as deaths? Seriously? Bullshit

A death is a whole skull, items, aside from red hot shot, are only a half. I think some of the bigger items(yellow lollipop that gives you a long shield) can count as more than half, but I never saw any get a whole skull.

2)Yellow items don't making you invincible as stated. You can still take environmental damage and flaming enemies still damage you if you attack them. Cheap

Just another reason you should never be using items.

3)QTE that you have no hope of winning, i.e. Jeanne button mashing on hard

4) QTE in general and during cutscenes. Want to enjoy a cutscene? Can't. QTE pops up in the middle: miss it and die instantly.

It might be tiring to beat Jeanne when you do it twice in succession, but it's certainly winnable. I do agree that all other implementations of QTE suck horribly though.

5) Dodging straght out of cutscenes. Too many situation where this happens. Cheap suprise

Completely indefensible and a stupid thing to have so frequently in the game, for sure.

6)Combo breaking. Why have a combo system if enemies can negate it? Can you say Force Unleashed? Better yet, Killer Instinct?

7)Minigames after you beat a boss (i.e. guide Jubileus into the sun crap). If you fail you die instantly. Don't cheat the player.

8)Sometimes camera is an issue. Like fighting the water boss on Chapter 15, you are asked to dodge his hands when you can even see his hands.

9) Annoying platform elements- Seriously, it doesn't fit in with this kind of game.

I can see most of these, but what do you really mean with 6? I mainly only noticed that with Jeanne on Hard. And atleast for 9 the crow is basically the universal platforming skipper.

The game certainly has its issues, but most of them are related to one main aspect-scoring. My three biggest issues with the game are the QTE, the out of cutscene attacks, and the alfheims being verses. All three contibute nothing but making me unmotivated to go for great runs.

QTE can = death, which = not a great rank even if you nail the rest of the level. Bullshit.
Out of cutscene attack can = no pure platinum, even if you nail the rest of the fight with no damage. Also getting hit right at the start can mess you up for the rest of the fight. Bullshit.
I've also done great on some levels on hard but skipped the alfhiems, which made me get a gold overall. Fucking bullshit. Even the ones I do can still end up completing canstill end up giving me a silver medal because of small annoying crap. Stay in the air for 60 seconds, okay. Get hit by an offscreen harmony attack right before the end, yay! Or use only wicked weaves, aka spam PKP or else you're going to get a shitty time rank.

They really nailed the core gameplay aside from these, but the lack of motivation for good runs really hurts. No, I don't want to remember the menial times to backtrack for alfhiems, let alone completing them, along with memorizing every single out of cutscene attack's dodge timing. There's also the stuff like the kilgore glitch that I won't resort to, yet there's not really a reason NOT to since it'll give you a great combo, a great time, and the enemy getting killed that fast makes it likely for no damage.

Enemies don't attack you off-screen unless they have AI patterns where they shoot at intervals like Kinship on normal. They do attack off-screen in Hard and above, much like Ninja Gaiden, DMC, etc.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, the stay in the air for xx seconds only has harmonies on hard. In something like that I'm not exactly focused on the enemies at all.

Victrix

*beard*
I missed one fucking Alfheim. Somewhere. Argh.

The backtracking is pure bullshit, I thought I was done hunting for these stupid things :(

LiK

Victrix said:
I missed one fucking Alfheim. Somewhere. Argh.

The backtracking is pure bullshit, I thought I was done hunting for these stupid things :(

yea, i know that feeling. but at least you know it's self-induced backtracking. the game doesn't force you to play them at least.

Problems:
1. Shitastic "old-school" sections
2. Only normal difficulty is unlocked at the beginning and at that level the gameplay doesn't shine
3. Obnoxious alfheim placements
4. Shitty implementation of quick time events (wouldn't be bad if the game wasn't so score based)
5. Dodges being required immediately after cutscenes

Depsite all of these, however, the game still blows my mind.

1. The combat is sublime at the higher levels.
2. The world is mindblowingly interesting.
3.The characters are surprisingly interesting and very well voiced.
4. The light-hearted tone is a nice change of pace from action games that take themselves oh so seriously.
5. Perfect balance between fights with smaller enemies that require skill and massive set piece bosses.
6. Great music (and I hate J-pop so that's saying something)
7. So many unlockables it makes my head spin with joy
8. Incredible replayability
9. Absolutely fan-fucking-tastic enemy design
10. Some really excellent challenges for those who want them

KingJ2002

beat the game on saturday and I got to say... this game is fun... but damn... some of that unforgiving shit i expect from a game in the early 90's makes me not want to put money into buying this game.

it can be frustrating beyond belief at times when it comes to getting pure platinum medals and i died in the game only because i stepped away from jubileus crashing into a planet.

LAME!

I want a mad world sequel.

Dave1988

LiK said:
yea, i know that feeling. but at least you know it's self-induced backtracking. the game doesn't force you to play them at least.

You can kiss PPs goodbye if you don't do the Alfheims.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hmm I am wondering how many of you guys used items on your first play through? I did not get around to using any items until my non stop play through.

"3)QTE that you have no hope of winning, i.e. Jeanne button mashing on hard"

lol, what?

I have not once lost a single QTE against anybody so far. And I have played through on Normal/Hard/Non Stop many times.

I do agree with the cutscene QTE's that kill you instantly though, the first time round they are okay but after that it is just a chore.

Label said:
Hmm I am wondering how many of you guys used items on your first play through? I did not get around to using any items until my non stop play through.

lol, what?

I have not once lost a single QTE against anybody so far. And I have played through on Normal/Hard/Non Stop many times.

I do agree with the cutscene QTE's that kill you instantly though, the first time round they are okay but after that it is just a chore.
The only item I've used is the thing that auto-revives you, I found one and had to use it :/.

Biff

I'm on Chapter IX in my first normal playthrough, and I can say I've never played a game that made me feel so worthless. I'm trying to understand combat, use witch time and try not to use items, but the level of difficulty to get gold medals (forget platinum) for each chapter is nuts! One death, you're done. Two items, you're done.

I guess my thing is that I don't feel like I'm sucking so badly that I should be getting any Stone awards at all. At least bronzes. But according to the game, I suck, so I guess I suck.

And while I'm enjoying the game so far, holy fucking shit at the
motorcycle chapter
. Wtf. That might have been the glitchiest, buggiest, frame-droppiest portion of a game I've ever played. Platinum Games should be embarrassed with that Chapter. Just take it out if it fucked up so badly... I would have been fine with a cutscene instead of that shitstorm. I'm playing on PS3, but I doubt that makes a difference as the general lack of control in that section is mind-boggling on its own.

Dreavus

The Eternal Testimony showed up in my shop and I'm not sure why. All I was doing was going for platinum on the first half of the missions on normal (so far) and suddenly it was there. Too expensive for me right now though, since I keep buying costumes instead of saving for useful things. :lol

What's everyone's favourite costume by the way? I think "Old" is my favourite so far; haven't swapped it out since I got it.

Label said:

lol, what?

On my first playthrough? Definitely. There were many times where I was down to my very last hit and I went digging through my inventory for ANYTHING that would keep me alive. Since I beat the game and have gone back for better scores I haven't had to use a single one, though. I hope that means I got better at the game. :lol

if you got 1000/1000, you played plenty of bayonetta...

i'm at 980/1000 now, and could have had 1000 long ago... been too tied up with extras/score attacks, etc.

Label said:

lol, what?

Like on the later Jeanne fights when you are asked to repeatedly press circle or square on Hard (when you trade wicked weave punches or kicks), you always loose. Doesn't matter how fast I press. You could seriously break your control with that bullshit. I always won on normal, but now just because I increased the difficultly settings, I'm expected to break my controlled? Complete bullshit.

KingJ2002 said:
beat the game on saturday and I got to say... this game is fun... but damn... some of that unforgiving shit i expect from a game in the early 90's makes me not want to put money into buying this game.

it can be frustrating beyond belief at times when it comes to getting pure platinum medals and i died in the game only because i stepped away from jubileus crashing into a planet.

LAME!

I want a mad world sequel.

If you win in combat, that should be the end of it. The game subjects you to random bullshit like this as a cheap way to kill you. I found on Hard, it was more difficult to guide Jubileus, making for frequent death. This is after the fact that I had won the actual fight.

jabipun

You two girls stop flirting.

K, thx.

Anyways, for all the intense shit going on in bayonetta - I'd actually like to point out that the camera is really well done (all things considered, compared to other action games).

For those complaining about it - you DO realize the game gives you like 90 different ways in the option menu to adjust the camera right? from inverting the X axis/Y axis, to adjusting the rotation speed on said axises etc.

Not to mention, the enemies don't really attack you if they aren't on the screen - I've noticed that especially on the special missions where you're required to do something that involves a lot of dodging (building up meter). Enemies won't attack you if they aren't on the camera screen.

Furthermore, if - there is an instance where they do, they all make auditory clues to do so.

Also, to that one guy asking about "why his health isn't staying maxed out." You know - fucking, the game has a manual, and you have access to the internet, AND THE GAME IS IN ENGLISH. How the fuck do you not understand that what you're buying is 'temporary' health increases. What you are asking about are the permanent heart vitality increases which you can buy at GATES OF HELL / item inventory at the bottom or find them in pieces of 4 throughout the game or in secret missions.

Not to mention the game has a massive file system which explains everything and details every little aspect of the game.

Some you guys need to put the ADD aside and just fucking read shit for once before slamming buttons and coming on a message board and saying "the game sucks cus it doens't explain things."

LiK

jabipun said:
You two girls stop flirting.

K, thx.

Anyways, for all the intense shit going on in bayonetta - I'd actually like to point out that the camera is really well done (all things considered, compared to other action games).

For those complaining about it - you DO realize the game gives you like 90 different ways in the option menu to adjust the camera right? from inverting the X axis/Y axis, to adjusting the rotation speed on said axises etc.

Not to mention, the enemies don't really attack you if they aren't on the screen - I've noticed that especially on the special missions where you're required to do something that involves a lot of dodging (building up meter). Enemies won't attack you if they aren't on the camera screen.

Furthermore, if - there is an instance where they do, they all make auditory clues to do so.

Also, to that one guy asking about "why his health isn't staying maxed out." You know - fucking, the game has a manual, and you have access to the internet, AND THE GAME IS IN ENGLISH. How the fuck do you not understand that what you're buying is 'temporary' health increases. What you are asking about are the permanent heart vitality increases which you can buy at GATES OF HELL / item inventory at the bottom or find them in pieces of 4 throughout the game or in secret missions.

Not to mention the game has a massive file system which explains everything and details every little aspect of the game.

Some you guys need to put the ADD aside and just fucking read shit for once before slamming buttons and coming on a message board and saying "the game sucks cus it doens't explain things."

but Dave1988 is so dreamy!

anyways, i agree with all your points. but the game could've done a better job with the in-game tutorial for certain parts of the game to avoid confusion.

NG28

palpabl_purpura said:
Like on the later Jeanne fights when you are asked to repeatedly press circle or square on Hard (when you trade wicked weave punches or kicks), you always loose. Doesn't matter how fast I press. You could seriously break your control with that bullshit. I always won on normal, but now just because I increased the difficultly settings, I'm expected to break my controlled? Complete bullshit.

It's not easy, but definitely doable. Also, you don't need to smash the button like you do, I find the less force I use to push the buttons the faster I can hit them.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
chaoticprout said:
what are the best accessories for climax?
the evil rosary is essentially a must (in place of witch-time when you dodge, you drop a bomb which damages enemies)

NG28 said:
It's not easy, but definitely doable. Also, you don't need to smash the button like you do, I find the less force I use to push the buttons the faster I can hit them.

So, it is possible, but, it's one of those things that makes you wonder WTF. Just cause I increased the game's difficulty means I have to put more wear and tear on my controller (and those things are expensive). i can guarantee that Platinum games or Sega is not going to spot you an extra controller if it breaks prematurely. And how is this challenging my skills? It's pure bullshit. Like in the chapter II boss- I though I would take it easy on my control and twirl the L stick slower. Come to find out you will die instantly unless you get the gigatons to max bonus, which is bullshit. Try being in the middle of the third torture attack on prolouge when the counter reaches zero. You will die. The counter will not stop. It's things like this which make this game seem just unpolished and cheap.

jabipun

LiK said:
but Dave1988 is so dreamy!

anyways, i agree with all your points. but the game could've done a better job with the in-game tutorial for certain parts of the game to avoid confusion.

I will admit, Bayonetta seems "obvious" simply because I'm so familiar with the DMC games. But the game does a pretty good job of having descriptions to everything. Highlight something, and it tells you exactly what it does. It also lets you "try/practice" before you buy.

Some people complain that tutorials are 'too in your face' - and then when a game doesn't bog you down with tutorials, they complain that it doesn't do a good job of telling you what needs to get done.

My advice, the next time you take a shit - take the manual with you and skim through it. You'll be surprised at how much that helps.

If you don't have the manual, use the internet and isntead of posting on GAF - take a few minutes and read an online manual or something.

Roto13

palpabl_purpura said:
It's really hard to do, so here's my strategy for them.

Don't do them.

Seriously, you don't need to press the button to initiate the QTE in the first place. You can just dodge and keep fighting normally. That's what I do. I lost one faceoff and was just like "Ok, not doing that any more."

RSB

Banned
I've never failed a single button mashing sequence (not even on Infinite Climax) and my controller is perfectly fine.

BTW, it seems really strange to me that some people actually fail at the QTE's. Ok, you may fail the first time, if you are not expecting it, but on subsequent replays (wich in the end take 95% of your total playtime, at least on this kind of games) is virtually impossible to fail, unless you have TERRIBLE memory. And those people repeatedly failing at the smash-into-the-sun segment... Seriously? That part is ridiculously easy, even on Infinite Climax.

Bye ;)

LiK

jabipun said:
If you don't have the manual, use the internet and isntead of posting on GAF - take a few minutes and read an online manual or something.

what's the difference between looking up info online or asking people in GAF? GAF is faster sometimes :lol

i don't see why people can't ask for help in an official thread.

Top Bottom