• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Aske

AgentOtaku said:
Man, hearing all these glowing opinions really makes me believe the 360 version of Bayonetta is a completely different game!

I went to Gamersyde and watched a couple of 60fps vids ....and yeah, it is pretty much =(

Don't feel too bad - if you're really not having fun with the PS3 version, a better framerate and reduced load times probably aren't going to draw you in. Most PS3 players in this thread love Bayonetta despite the faults of the port, and plenty of players who aren't into the game are playing on the 360 while having similar reactions to you. But if your biggest problem is underwhelming combat, you owe it to yourself to finish up Normal and check out Hard before giving it up for good.

This game could have used a Path of Acolyte/Path of Warrior pair of Normal modes for inexperienced/experienced players respectively. Too many new action gamers seem to be suffering on Normal while a lot of seasoned genre fans are getting away with a mashy playstyle and missing the subtleties of combat. I think it's pitched very well for a catch-all default difficulty, but in an ideal world there would be a pair of Normal modes along with Hard and Infinite Climax. And possibly something beyond IC judging by some people's reactions. With the game's forgiving checkpoints, it might have benefitted from an even more brutal Master Ninja/Dante Must Die level.

LiK

Aske said:
Don't feel too bad - if you're really not having fun with the PS3 version, a better framerate and reduced load times probably aren't going to draw you in. Most PS3 players in this thread love Bayonetta despite the faults of the port, and plenty of players who aren't into the game are playing on the 360 while having similar reactions to you. But if your biggest problem is underwhelming combat, you owe it to yourself to finish up Normal and check out Hard before giving it up for good.

This game could have used a Path of Acolyte/Path of Warrior pair of Normal modes for inexperienced/experienced players respectively. Too many new action gamers seem to be suffering on Normal while a lot of seasoned genre fans are getting away with a mashy playstyle and missing the subtleties of combat. I think it's pitched very well for a catch-all default difficulty, but in an ideal world there would be a pair of Normal modes along with Hard and Infinite Climax. And possibly something beyond IC judging by some people's reactions. With the game's forgiving checkpoints, it might have benefitted from an even more brutal Master Ninja/Dante Must Die level.

ya know, it makes me wonder. what's the difference between Very Easy and Easy anyways?

Ravidrath

Beat it tonight... a little sad it's over, and I don't expect I have the chops for Hard.

Thinking I may Gamefly the PS3 version and play through it again on there. I'd like to see how big the differences actually are, and it's a good excuse to start over and get trophies. :p

Aske said:

Word

I'll give it another try today before deciding to send it back

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
AgentOtaku said:
Word

I'll give it another try today before deciding to send it back

Ya just keep playing it. I didn't really start liking the game until maybe the 10th chapter or so. Was kinda forcing myself through it to that point. Ended up liking it though, just not near as much as most here. I like the 2 PS2 DMC games and both Ninja Gaidens a LOT more. At the end though it's a good game. I also had the PS3 version, for what it's worth.

_tetsuo_ said:
Ya just keep playing it. I didn't really start liking the game until maybe the 10th chapter or so. Was kinda forcing myself through it to that point. Ended up liking it though, just not near as much as most here. I like the 2 PS2 DMC games and both Ninja Gaidens a LOT more. At the end though it's a good game.

Glad to hear

Tokubetsu

_tetsuo_ said:
Ya just keep playing it. I didn't really start liking the game until maybe the 10th chapter or so. Was kinda forcing myself through it to that point. Ended up liking it though, just not near as much as most here. I like the 2 PS2 DMC games and both Ninja Gaidens a LOT more. At the end though it's a good game. I also had the PS3 version, for what it's worth.

I'm pretty weird but NG2 and DMC3 are still my favorites in the genre as well. Not that I'm not having fun with Bayo.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Nemesis556 said:
Jeanne IV is one of the most epic boss battles in a game ever. Especially so on Infinite Climax Mode. >_>
it was the hardest bit of that difficulty as well, for me. so awesome.

Zeliard

I would personally say that people shouldn't fully judge the combat in this game till they've played on Hard (and the Infinite Climax mode above, which removes Witch Time altogether).

I thought the combat in Bayonetta was great, and then I started playing on Hard, and it went up a few more notches in my book. That's when the intricacies of the combat system really come into play. If you find that you have been able to get through some of normal difficulty while button-mashing, you'd be hard-pressed to have that same sort of success on one of the higher difficulties. The enemies are far more aggressive and more prone to using their more damaging moves, so you have to have much better timing when it comes to dodging and attacking in general. Enemies also do and take more damage.

They also switch up enemy mobs with stronger ones on Hard and above, Ninja Gaiden-style - you start fighting Grace & Glory starting with the Prologue, and very often throughout the game.

On Hard difficulty and above is also where learning how to dodge offset and parry properly begins to show its effects. Those are fun to do but don't matter much at all on Normal. What particular weapon combinations you've got going on also begin to matter much more in fights - on normal you can get by with anything, but above you should be sporting the weapons you're best with, or that are the best in a given situation.

Speaking of weapon combinations, holy shit, PPP>K with the Durgas on both hands and feet is the coolest wicked weave combo I've seen by a good margin. Straight up Berserker Rage.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
oki, so aprox. how many platiunum chapters do you have to have in order to get platinum in the " ALL " category? ( I'm aware that it depends on the rest of the medals as well )

Right now I have 5-6 platinum chapters, 2-3 bronze, 4-5 gold , 4-5 silver and a gold statue/medal in the " All " category.

Getting platinum on certain chapters is a huuuuuuuuuuge pain in the ass even on normal :( I just get soo angry as soon as I get hit a couple of times and end up with a gold, even worse is when I get stone/bronze/silver in the combo categories

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
if you want the unlockable, I'm fairly sure you'll need to get Platinum on literally all of the chapters.

Tokubetsu

Zeliard said:
I would personally say that people shouldn't fully judge the combat in this game till they've played on Hard (and the Infinite Climax mode above, which removes Witch Time altogether).

I thought the combat in Bayonetta was great, and then I started playing on Hard, and it went up a few more notches in my book. That's when the intricacies of the combat system really come into play. If you find that you have been able to get through some of normal difficulty while button-mashing, you'd be hard-pressed to have that same sort of success on one of the higher difficulties. The enemies are far more aggressive and more prone to using their more damaging moves, so you have to have much better timing when it comes to dodging and attacking in general. Enemies also do and take more damage.

They also switch up enemy mobs with stronger ones on Hard and above, Ninja Gaiden-style - you start fighting Grace & Glory starting with the Prologue, and very often throughout the game.

On Hard difficulty and above is also where learning how to dodge offset and parry properly begins to show its effects. Those are fun to do but don't matter much at all on Normal. What particular weapon combinations you've got going on also begin to matter much more in fights - on normal you can get by with anything, but above you should be sporting the weapons you're best with, or that are the best in a given situation.

Speaking of weapon combinations, holy shit, PPP>K with the Durgas on both hands and feet is the coolest wicked weave combo I've seen by a good margin. Straight up Berserker Rage.

I'm on Chapter 4 or 5 on hard, can't remember and I'm trying to save for durga alt and the moon of mahaakdhka;dakd;. It's hard because I am constantly tempted to buy costumes :lol

Corky

Rez said:
if you want the unlockable, I'm fairly sure you'll need to get Platinum on literally all of the chapters.

aw man, how on earth am I gonna do that? :( , clearing climax was 10000 times easier than getting platinum on certain chapters.

Zeliard

Tokubetsu said:
I'm on Chapter 4 or 5 on hard, can't remember and I'm trying to save for durga alt and the moon of mahaakdhka;dakd;. It's hard because I am constantly tempted to buy costumes :lol

You have to get both. Especially Moon of Mahkkdkhkk. I love that accessory because it adds this defensive element to the game that you otherwise don't really get (beyond dodging). Don't know if I'll ever remove it.

Corky said:
oki, so aprox. how many platiunum chapters do you have to have in order to get platinum in the " ALL " category? ( I'm aware that it depends on the rest of the medals as well )

Right now I have 5-6 platinum chapters, 2-3 bronze, 4-5 gold , 4-5 silver and a gold statue/medal in the " All " category.

Getting platinum on certain chapters is a huuuuuuuuuuge pain in the ass even on normal :( I just get soo angry as soon as I get hit a couple of times and end up with a gold, even worse is when I get stone/bronze/silver in the combo categories

I think sonicmj confirmed earlier that you have to get platinum in every chapter, not just in the ALL column.

Tokubetsu

Corky said:
aw man, how on earth am I gonna do that? :( , clearing climax was 10000 times easier than getting platinum on certain chapters.

Most of my friends are in the same boat as you. They will/have cleared Infinite Climax but have pretty much said Fuck No to getting PP on all chapters.

Minamu

If you don't like the verse score/medal, just pause --> go to title screen --> continue. You'll end up right before that particular verse started 8 out of 10 times. In the rare cases it doesn't work, just do the same thing after taking damage in the middle of the fight :p This way, you get infinite tries to get a platinum medal. Alfheim medals can be a pain to redo though since it usually puts you wherever the previous verse ended so you have to backtrack again before a new attempt. But it's still better than having to redo the whole chapter.

Monocle

akachan ningen said:
Those aren't "inaccuracies," they're just my personal feelings on the game.

1. Thanks for proving my point. Having to experience a QTE before you can have it down pat is bullshit.

2. I didn't like them. What is the use of arguing that?

3. Perfect my ass. I did increase the camera speed and that only reduces the amount of time I need to keep my thumb on the stick. I doesn't fix the camera.

4. Yeah, I only mentioned the re-use of areas as a commentary on the lack of variety in the levels, not a lack of variety in the gameplay. They still re-use areas and that's a fact. How you can call this inaccurate is beyond me.
While your personal feelings can't be wrong, many of the assertions you made to justify them are flawed. It was you who set out to supply ten reasons why Bayonetta isn't as good as the most recent two DMC games—a rather ambitious project, I have to say. It's not my fault you weren't able to see it through. You listed ten reasons, true, but apparently they're not substantial enough to persuade many people apart from yourself.

1. Oh noes, trial and error in a video game of all things? I don't like instant deaths either, but in Bayonetta they're really not very hard to avoid. I'm betting you, like me, were killed by enemies far more frequently than by QTEs.

2. I specifically addressed your comment about wanting more small bosses. The fact is, there's an awful lot of that type of encounter in Bayonetta.

3. Note the qualifier "most of the time." You're making it sound like Bayonetta's camera is Ninja Gaiden 2 bad, and that's simply not the case. In fact, the only time I consistently have issues with the camera is during the motorcycle sequence of Chapter 8, and that's only because Bayonetta tends to block so much of the screen.

4. It's an utterly baseless complaint. Bayonetta has great level variety, and as I already mentioned, every time an area is reused, it's in a drastically different context. I'm surprised my comparison to DMC3 and 4's backtracking didn't drive home the point.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
IcebergSlim3000 said:
I had no idea "Fly me to the Moon" was such a famous track. Even Frank Sinatra did a cover.

I guarantee I am not the only one that has never heard this or his cover. I watched Evangelion but don't remember the song.

are you fucking serious

Frank Sinatra did a cover :lol

Anyway, I got my gun today in the post. It's actually made out of metal! Paint job is shitty, but otherwise, not bad for what is essentially free. Now to return my second copy ;p

Monocle said:
While your personal feelings can't be wrong, many of the assertions you made to justify them are flawed. It was you who set out to supply ten reasons why Bayonetta isn't as good as the most recent two DMC games—a rather ambitious project, I have to say. It's not my fault you weren't able to see it through. You listed ten reasons, true, but apparently they're not substantial enough to persuade many people apart from yourself.
1. Oh noes, trial and error in a video game of all things? I don't like instant deaths either, but in Bayonetta they're really not very hard to avoid. I'm betting you, like me, were killed by enemies far more frequently than by QTEs.

2. I specifically addressed your comment about wanting more small bosses. The fact is, there's an awful lot of that type of encounter in Bayonetta.

3. Note the qualifier "most of the time." You're making it sound like Bayonetta's camera is Ninja Gaiden 2 bad, and that's simply not the case. In fact, the only time I consistently have issues with the camera is during the motorcycle sequence of Chapter 8, and that's only because Bayonetta tends to block so much of the screen.

4. It's an utterly baseless complaint. Bayonetta has great level variety, and as I already mentioned, every time an area is reused, it's in a drastically different context. I'm surprised my comparison to DMC3 and 4's backtracking didn't drive home the point.

I wasn't trying to persuade anyone, actually. If that's what you thought, no wonder you got so defensive.

sonicmj1

Tokubetsu said:
Most of my friends are in the same boat as you. They will/have cleared Infinite Climax but have pretty much said Fuck No to getting PP on all chapters.
Pure Platinum? What are you, crazy?

Getting Platinum is an order of magnitude easier than getting Pure Platinum in most cases. On the whole, as long as you clear every verse without dying, and are able to get Gold or above most of the time, you'll get a Platinum on any long-form chapter.

I got a Pure Platinum on the Prologue, but there's no way I'm going to aim for that on anything else.

Llyranor

Finished the game yesterday.
Riding a motorcycle into space and then punching the Creator into the Sun was awesome! Not to mention the epic final battle music.
Really enjoyed the game. Normal difficulty was good for me. Not as hard as I'd like, but not too easy, either. Got stone awards in most chapters due to dying 5+ times per chapter! So lots of replay value in terms of improving that. Game's pacing was also pretty good; never felt tedious. Highlight was the excellent combat system. Low points would be the stupid vehicular minigames (
motorbike redeems itself in the epilogue
), though they're ultimately fairly harmless. QTE's were fine since they were easy to pull off and didn't detract, but I can see why they would annoy.

Really love the combat mechanics. The flow is excellent, given how agile Bayonetta is (jumping and dodging everywhere was a blast). I really liked the mix of offensive and defensive play, using dodge offset to get out of harm's way while still building up combos, then unleashing the wicked weave. It was great being able to do both at the same time, rather than them being separate entities (promotes the fast pace of combat, too).

If we're going to make comparisons, the combat made DMC4 feel like a joke (a really slow joke, too) to me. Can't compare to DMC3 as I haven't played. I don't necessarily prefer the game to NG2 (and NGS2 having co-op, which is a huge huge plus in my book), but it's overall a much better designed overall game (as it doesn't have the frustrating elements), and I find the combat mechanics themselves to be more refined/'deep'. What it lacks, though, is the visceral and chaotic feel of trying to survival the onslaught of a large large number of enemies with no end in sight as more and more reinforcements join the fray; really loved that in NG2 (even NGS2 lacked that).

This may be rectified in hard mode (which I started right as soon as I finished normal), as I've been stuck at this Alfheim in chapter 2 (clear the waves in 5 min; the main limiter for me is not getting hit 3 times) for over an hour, and loving every minute of it, striving to get better and better every attempt. I really like an overwhelming challenge, when it's fair and not cheap. I'm really enjoying hard mode so far; prologue itself was really nice already.

ElyrionX

So I just finished normal and despite all the stone awards, I found it to be quite a cakewalk, especially with the forgiving checkpoint system.

How hard is Hard? Do they throw multiple Grace and Glory at you at the same time (ie. two pairs of them at once)? Are there more Gracious and Glorious encounters (only once do you encounter them in Normal, I think)?

Zeliard

Grace & Glory basically become typical enemies on Hard. They replace the lower-level Normal enemies (Affinity and Applaud) in many verses.

The main increase in difficulty from Normal to Hard comes from mob changes like that and a much greater level of aggressiveness in general from every enemy.

sonicmj1 said:
Pure Platinum? What are you, crazy?

Getting Platinum is an order of magnitude easier than getting Pure Platinum in most cases. On the whole, as long as you clear every verse without dying, and are able to get Gold or above most of the time, you'll get a Platinum on any long-form chapter.

I got a Pure Platinum on the Prologue, but there's no way I'm going to aim for that on anything else.

I don't even liike the scoring system. Getting through the game is good enough. I get the game penalizes you for using items, and you should not be able to get Platinum for using iems, but to count them as deaths is plain riduluous. Like, I useda purple item to restore my magic, and the cheap ass game counted it as a death. WTF. I not for the load times, I'd just rather die and save the items for when I need them. These are my list of gripes the the game. Hopefully, the sequel will be much improved in these areas

1)Scoring system: Using items counts as deaths? Seriously? Bullshit

2)Yellow items don't making you invincible as stated. You can still take environmental damage and flaming enemies still damage you if you attack them. Cheap

3)QTE that you have no hope of winning, i.e. Jeanne button mashing on hard

4) QTE in general and during cutscenes. Want to enjoy a cutscene? Can't. QTE pops up in the middle: miss it and die instantly.

5) Dodging straght out of cutscenes. Too many situation where this happens. Cheap suprise

6)Combo breaking. Why have a combo system if enemies can negate it? Can you say Force Unleashed? Better yet, Killer Instinct?

7)Minigames after you beat a boss (i.e. guide Jubileus into the sun crap). If you fail you die instantly. Don't cheat the player.

8)Sometimes camera is an issue. Like fighting the water boss on Chapter 15, you are asked to dodge his hands when you can even see his hands.

9) Annoying platform elements- Seriously, it doesn't fit in with this kind of game.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
So I'm at work, and all I want to do is play Bayonetta. :/
I was in a similar bind with Darksiders all last week.

LiK

Anso said:
Also did stuff for Dragon Age :O

I'm suspecting she'll get many disturbing letters though, poor woman :lol

hahaha, considering the dialogue and moans she does in this game, i won't be surprised if that happened.

Shito

Mejilan said:
Is it just me, are is there significant screen tearing with this game? 360 version.
Are you playing with the game installed on your HDD, by any chance?
It seems confirmed now that it significantly worsen the framerate and tearing problems.

Fugu

Could someone confirm/deny for me that you have to get a platinum on every verse as opposed to a platinum on every chapter for the unlock? Because those are two drastically different things.

LiK

Nemesis556 said:
Yeah, she wasn't credited in the game itself though. I wonder why?

yea, it's weird considering it's in her online resume. either she was embarrassed or it was an oversight. i'm thinking the former when these things happen.

Nemesis, i think you just made her life hell :lol

Nemesis_

LiK said:
yea, it's weird considering it's in her online resume. either she was embarrassed or it was an oversight. i'm thinking the former when these things happen.

Nemesis, i think you just made her life hell :lol

Perhaps I should send her an pre-emptive apology. :lol

Just unlocked Pillow Talk too, btw. What's the benefits, exactly? >_>

LiK

Nemesis556 said:
Perhaps I should send her an pre-emptive apology. :lol

Just unlocked Pillow Talk too, btw. What's the benefits, exactly? >_>

Pillow Talk is the effing lightsaber! plus, the charged up mode is awesome. does a lot of damage and gives you more range for a limited time.

Corky

Nemesis556 said:
There are ways to unlock it faster. ;)

what the?...why is this man wiking at me? Is there a way to get all platinum / unlock X faster?

Tell me, pls!

TP

Fugu said:
Could someone confirm/deny for me that you have to get a platinum on every verse as opposed to a platinum on every chapter for the unlock? Because those are two drastically different things.

From two pages back

sonicmj1 said:
It's platinum in every chapter. I did it recently, and got plenty of golds (and even a silver or two) for some of the verses. As long as you see a trophy in every single column on Normal difficulty or higher, you'll get your character.

For the record, I'm pretty sure you'll see a platinum in the "all" column before you get platinum on every chapter.

Nemesis_

3)QTE that you have no hope of winning, i.e. Jeanne button mashing on hard

This is bullshit. I didnt lose any QTEs on either my Hard or Climax mode Jeanne battles. You're just not pressing fast enough.

Oh, and if anyone wants Bayonetta as their GPS voice:

• GPS System

(Contractually not able to name the brand yet, voice of GPS system for a 2009 luxury car. )

It appears her voice actor will be doing the voice for one.:D

Top Bottom