• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Roto13

LiK said:
what's the difference between looking up info online or asking people in GAF? GAF is faster sometimes :lol

i don't see why people can't ask for help in an official thread.
I remember one time, years and years ago, I made a thread on GameFAQs asking where to find the Bear Ring in Castlevania: Circle of the Moon and I pretty much got my head bitten off for making a thread about actual gameplay instead "Who is your favourite Belmont?" or something more stupid like that.

LiK

Roto13 said:
I remember one time, years and years ago, I made a thread on GameFAQs asking where to find the Bear Ring in Castlevania: Circle of the Moon and I pretty much got my head bitten off for making a thread about actual gameplay instead "Who is your favourite Belmont?" or something more stupid like that.

edit: oops, you said GameFAQs. i've visited the GameFAQ boards recently, looks like after Gamespot aquired them, the boards have been much better. i see that they merged them with the GS boards where the mods are pretty strict.

Roto13 said:
I'm...so sorry.

got the treasure fanatic trophy without looking at a guide, yay! also completed my last alfheims for the ultimate platinum. is there any way to check how many chapters i've completed so far? i couldn't find anything.

LiK

Augemitbutter said:
got the treasure fanatic trophy without looking at a guide, yay! also completed my last alfheims for the ultimate platinum. is there any way to check how many chapters i've completed so far? i couldn't find anything.

Play History in the Chapter Menu

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
So when I miss battles and, consequently, medals is that because I'm on normal difficulty? On Chapter XIII (I think,
the airship level
), despite getting a couple golds, a couple silvers, and a pure platinum, it said I missed like 4 medals (I have no idea how it happened) so I ended up with a stone for the whole chapter. That's retarded.

NameGenerated said:
So when I miss battles and, consequently, medals is that because I'm on normal difficulty? On Chapter XIII (I think,
the airship level
), despite getting a couple golds, a couple silvers, and a pure platinum, it said I missed like 4 medals (I have no idea how it happened) so I ended up with a stone for the whole chapter. That's retarded.

Why is that retarded? You missed battles... You have to search out a bunch of them. You probably missed the Alfheim and two other fights in the plane's engine when you briefly go outside just before Jeanne.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How many verses are there in
the lost chapter
? Also, how the fuck did the first 4-5 people on the time leaderboards do it in 5 minutes with a stone award and no actual medals for the level?

NameGenerated said:
the airship level

Some battles are found in different ways. The alfhiems are secret challenge rooms that are found in the dumbest of ways and also count as verses, on that level I know you need to backtrack at a certain spot(I think after you fight the enemies after almost falling off the plane you go to the start) to find a group of enemies and you get an alfheim spot for it, so that's two verses right there. There's another battle + alfheim in the engine you can jump into.

Fugu

NameGenerated said:
the airship level
No, it means you missed either a fight or an alfheim.

NameGenerated

ConcealedBlaze said:
Why is that retarded? You missed battles... You have to search out a bunch of them. You probably missed the Alfheim and two other fights in the plane's engine when you briefly go outside just before Jeanne.
I shouldn't have to go out of my way to search for the best part of the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
you don't have to? ignore them, they're for the people who obsess over the game.

sonicmj1

NameGenerated said:
the airship level

There are many verses hidden in different spots in the level. You can get them on any difficulty. I suspect you earned a stone for the chapter because you died multiple times, not because of the verses you missed.

That said, it's very difficult to get a platinum (and impossible to get a pure platinum) if you skip verses.

NameGenerated

I didn't die at all, nor did I use the red hot shot I found. I did use some healing items against Jeanne but that's it. I just think it's dumb that there were like 3 or 4 battles I missed, not including the Alfheim, that I want to fight but it doesn't even give me the slightest hint that I missed them and to top it all off it punishes me. The combat is great, let me experience it more!

Just started playing (for about 2.5 hours). On the 360's hard drive, this is one of the more beautifully fluid games I've ever played. With this, Darksiders (f'ing awesome), and the barrage of Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2, and God of War 3, we have a very expensive first quarter going on here.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
you're not really being punished though, all you're missing out on is a minor halo bonus.

NameGenerated said:
I didn't die at all, nor did I use the red hot shot I found. I did use some healing items against Jeanne but that's it. I just think it's dumb that there were like 3 or 4 battles I missed, not including the Alfheim, that I want to fight but it doesn't even give me the slightest hint that I missed them and to top it all off it punishes me. The combat is great, let me experience it more!
It does give you a hint.

You finish a chapter and you see medals missing.

Voila, hint.

Monocle

NinjaFusion said:
I'm not getting this game at all.... graphics are so so.... gameplay is fun but nothing to write home about... plot makes no sense.

Does it get better once you've got some of the items from later on in the game?

The most ridiculous Edge 10 ever.
I think you'll find that if you compare Bayonetta to any of the Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden games, its combat system really is something to write home about. Here's a truncated list of essential features:

- Real-time weapon switching between two sets of weapons. With 12 weapons available, many of which can be equipped to hands or feet, there is a vast array of unique combinations. Laser guns in your hands, rocket launchers on your feet? Go for it. Lightsaber in your hands, pistols on your feet? Why not? Rocket launcher tonfas in your hands, energy claws on your feet? Okay. Shotguns on all four limbs? By all means. And so on.

- Nearly every attack is chargeable. This is one of Bayonetta's most significant innovations. Charged attacks have several important functions, which include increasing hit range, dealing extra damage and delaying the next attack in the string until enemies enter its area of effect. Charging produces a wide variety of effects. Magical mines, laser beams that suspend opponents in the air, and a wide slash that can hit all close- to mid-range objects within your field of view are just a few examples. Many charged aerial attacks let Bayonetta float, so she can stay right in an airborne opponent's face or avoid attacks from enemies on the ground.

- Almost every animation can be canceled by a) dodging, b) jumping and c) standard gunfire. If this doesn't seem significant to you, think about how other action games handle the windup, delivery and recovery of attacks. Most of them lock you into the first two stages once you've pressed a button, so you have to wait until the recovery frames to cancel the animation with a new action. Aside from a few minor exceptions, Bayonetta lets you interrupt every attack animation during all three stages with the useful actions listed above. For this reason, its controls are more responsive than those of any other game in the action genre.

- The powerful technique known as dodge offset lets you perform a partial string, interrupt it with up to four dodges, then resume it where you left off. And you can do this once for every attack in a string except the first (so if you have a six-hit string, that's five potential dodge offsets). The panther transformation and taunting also bear this offset effect, the former being especially useful because you can remain in panther form indefinitely. As if delaying attacks weren't useful enough, you can also use dodges or the panther to skip moves in strings. So if you want to do the powerful Wicked Weave finisher of PKP without the first two hits, you input P then immediately dodge, K then immediately dodge, P. This will produce two evasive flips that smoothly transition into a Wicked Weave.

- The Witch Time mechanic, unique to Bayonetta, enhances its combat's natural ebb and flow of offense and evasion. Bayonetta's opponents aren't just fodder; they can and will attack in groups and parry your attacks. With Witch Time, you can turn a bad situation to your advantage with a single well timed dodge. It's to Kamiya's credit that he found a way to let players build combos as complex as DMC3's against enemies that are anything but passive.

- Bayonetta's aerial combat is second to none because, barring a scant handful of strings and special attacks, the title character's full move set is available after she jumps. Couple that with the teleport maneuver you can buy in the shop, include Kulshedra's ability to bring an enemy to Bayonetta or Bayonetta to an enemy, toss in animal transformations for good measure, and you have a truly immense spread of attack options—well beyond what most, if any, other action games can offer.

jabipun

LiK said:
what's the difference between looking up info online or asking people in GAF? GAF is faster sometimes :lol

i don't see why people can't ask for help in an official thread.

Some people don't ask for help. They just come in here and complain about something.(look at some of the complaints in the past few pages)

Jigsaw

Banned
Monocle said:
- The Witch Time mechanic, unique to Bayonetta, enhances its combat's natural ebb and flow of offense and evasion. Bayonetta's opponents aren't just fodder; they can and will attack in groups and parry your attacks. With Witch Time, you can turn a bad situation to your advantage with a single well timed dodge. It's to Kamiya's credit that he found a way to let players build combos as complex as DMC3's against enemies that are anything but passive.

not true,its basically always 1 on 1...enemies will attack one after another and not at the same time,which is one of the reason why this game is so damn easy

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Jigsaw said:
not true,its basically always 1 on 1...enemies will attack one after another and not at the same time,which is one of the reason why this game is so damn easy
this is untrue, on Hard at least.

I can assure you that multiple enemies attack at once very often.

jabipun

Jigsaw said:

No.

The reason why Bayonetta works so well and doesn't crumble under it's own weight like Ninja Gaiden 2 -is- because they take restraints and keep enemies from gang-banging you all at once. Now, as Rez said - often (on hard at least) enemies do attack you at the same time or quickly one after each other, but you never feel bombarded by random attacks all over the place (again, which horribly ruined NG2).

That's the brilliance of the combat. Despite the seemingly chaotic nature - it's comes off as a fighting game dynamic where you focus 1 on 1 against an enemy by attacking and evading (witch time - which almost technically serves as a counter).

If that dynamic which keeps Bayonetta grounded makes the game too easy for you - thats on you. Me, I can honestly say with most people agreeing that Bayonetta is probably one of the best - balanced "hardcore" games out there.

Papercuts

Jigsaw said:

They definitely attack with each other on hard.

What Bayonetta should have done is keep most of the enemies off-screen in every battle. Instead they'd plink away at Bayo with um exploding halo chakrams or something.

Sorry but Ninja Gaiden just falls apart when I spend more time stuck on the defensive than feeling like some kind of ninja badass. I can't even find a use for 90% of the moves in that game cause I'm left wide open for a dozen explosives to fly up my arse.

I know Jigsaw keeps bringing it up but I just find NG2's system absolutely laughable and terribly unbalanced.

andymcc

Banned
Jigsaw said:

you're wrong.

just wanted to flog you some more.

Did up through Chapter 2 on Hard and WOOOWW, it's like a different game. the enemies attack you so much more aggressively, and using all these new weapons make this feel like a different game. This is one of the few times where stepping up to a new difficulty level doesn't feel cheap, but rather feels more advanced.

It's hard to believe that I'm liking this the more that I play but it's true. The accessories which I didn't even buy in the 1st play thorough are completely changing the way I play defense now, and I can never decide on which weapons I want to use. Right now I'm in love with the Katana/Ice Skates combo, while before it was Claws/Shotguns.:D :D :D Best game of this generation IMO.

Rez said:
this is untrue, on Hard at least.

I can assure you that multiple enemies attack at once very often.

Actually in bayonetta different enemy types will attack at the same time(Normal Mode).

Example: You are fighting two Affinities and an Ardor. The Affinities will wait for one another but the Ardor will keep going regardless of what the Affinities are doing.

Grace and Glory will sometimes fight like this, Fearless and Fairness as well.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Fimbulvetr said:
Actually in bayonetta different enemy types will attack at the same time(Normal Mode).

Example: You are fighting two Affinities and an Ardor. The Affinities will wait for one another but the Ardor will keep going regardless of what the Affinities are doing.

Grace and Glory will sometimes fight like this, Fearless and Fairness as well.
yep. additionally -- on Normal -- Joy, Dear and Kinship do attack at the same time

I'm 99% sure Affinity and the like start attacking simultaneously on Hard mode as well. They certainly did during a Hard Alfheim.

edit: to the uninitiated, this post would be undecipherable :lol

Does anyone know where I can download the soundtrack?!
I'm only on the 3rd Chapter and I love everything about this game...
Sorta regretting picking it up on 360 (I got a PS3 for Christmas, and want to play that as much as possible...)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Papercuts said:
Braves are complete shitheads on Hard, they never stop attacking. :lol
haha, yeah I love fighting them. I wish there were more. Even in Hard Mode there isn't really that many of them.

Monocle

Jigsaw said:
You, sir, are wrong. Recently I spent two hours (and that's a modest estimate) trying to beat an Alfheim Portal in Chapter 6 on Hard. The reason it took so long was I kept getting pummeled by crowds of enemies. I experienced over 20, maybe upward of 30 deaths from group attacks.

StuBurns

Banned
Monocle said:
You, sir, are wrong. Recently I spent two hours (and that's a modest estimate) trying to beat an Alfheim Portal in Chapter 6 on Hard. The reason it took so long was I kept getting pummeled by crowds of enemies. I experienced over 20, maybe upward of 30 deaths from group attacks.
Posts like this scare me. When I pick it up, I might just rinse thru on easy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
StuBurns said:
that's a particularly Hard challenge that you have to go out of your way to do, don't worry about it :lol

StuBurns said:

Don't let that scare you. He's talking about a secret challenge room that SUPPOSED to be frustratingly hard. Once you know what each enemy type brings to the table, the game gives you LIMITLESS amounts of ways to fight them.

Hell, I didn't even know that by using the fire claws, you can hit the enemies that are on fire.:lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
StuBurns said:
The best thing about these type of games is that your skills are constantly improving. It took me over an hour to beat the lvl 1 Reaper sub-boss in DMC3 but by the end of the game I was taking on those guys 2 and 3 at a time with no issues.

Papercuts

Rez said:
haha, yeah I love fighting them. I wish there were more. Even in Hard Mode there isn't really that many of them.

I'm mainly referring to an alfheim with that. Can't remember at all what it is/where it was, but you fought atleast 5 of them.

Tokubetsu

Jigsaw said:

Yea, nope. Play on hard. Hell, taunt more than 2 enemies and just see what happens. Fuck Graces and Glories though. Fuck them hard straight to hell.

Kowak

Banned
StuBurns said:

I am not the most skillful players but i found it ok on normal, only got stone awards but have golds now on my second play on hard. If you are worried just make sure you pick your items wisely.

not gonna bother with the Alfheim Portals, when i decided to beat them all i will do those on easy as struggled after the first couple of portals.

Papercuts

I'm not sure when/how it happened, but something clicked for me after I beat the game on normal and since then I don't have any issues with grace and glory. Fearless and Fairness on the other hand...fuck.

Used two mega purple butterfly items for magic before the Chapter 2 boss so I could Halo farm. On the scoring system, it counted as nearly a full death. Bullshit.

The beginning of Chapter 5 on Hard, the part where you have to fight 5 Grace and Glories was ridiculous. Basically forced me to learn how to dodge offset.

StuBurns

Banned
Kowak said:
I am not the most skillful players but i found it ok on normal, only got stone awards but have golds now on my second play on hard. If you are worried just make sure you pick your items wisely.
Yeah, to be honest, I wasn't entirely serious. I'll play thru on normal. There needs to be a little challenge and you can mash thru the demo without getting hurt on easy so I can't imagine it'd be much fun plaything that way. Still, over two hours on an encounter is more than I'd ever be willing to put up with, Kudos to Mr Monocle.

Top Bottom