• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

zoukka

Daigoro said:
post your constructive criticism and then stop posting maybe? or do you feel the need to convince someone that you point of view is important?

Ever heard of replying to someone. Who, you know replied to my post?

whats is the point of coming back to repeat yourself and argue about the flaws in the game? and dont say you just here to discuss. because some of you guys are just beating a dead horse here.

You see you just are wrong. We are in fact having a discussion here. The only thing that's hindering it are posters like you who think negative feedback is trolling and a personal attack against you.

And thumbs up for the DMC love!

I decided to play through DMC1 back in January, having not touched it for many years, and it was a total bummer. The game hasn't aged well. The controls, the camera, aspects of the combat...nostalgia allowed me to suffer through it.

Bottom line: you put DMC1 in the hands of somebody who has never played it before today and they will get ZERO enjoyment out of it. The genre has moved forward a great deal and going back to DMC1 really drove this home.

I'll always love DMC1, but it's like Goldeneye to me now. You can't go back.

Margalis

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
Bottom line: you put DMC1 in the hands of somebody who has never played it before today and they will get ZERO enjoyment out of it. The genre has moved forward a great deal and going back to DMC1 really drove this home.

I played Devil May Cry for the first time about a year and a half ago and I enjoyed it. I also don't see how the genre as a whole has moved forward all that much since then. The mechanics are still pretty similar, and while DMC has less emphasis on defensive abilities it also has things like attacks you have to jump to avoid, so they do a decent job of using the mechanics they did have.

Movesets today are a lot wider and there are generally a lot more bells and whistles (different weapons, style switching, etc) but the core mechanics are not all that different IMO.

zoukka

a Master Ninja said:
Bottom line: you put DMC1 in the hands of somebody who has never played it before today and they will get ZERO enjoyment out of it.

This after the many praising posts before yours? Yes the combat is limited when compared to the combo heavy successors, but everything else is better. Yep everything.

slade

zoukka said:
This after the many praising posts before yours? Yes the combat is limited when compared to the combo heavy successors, but everything else is better. Yep everything.

Except the controls. Enjoy pressing triangle to jump.

simtmb

I find them (DMC1 etc / Bayonetta) to essentially be the same thing. The formula is the same, design, and so on. Which brang up my point earlier that i can't really see how DMC fans would hate on this game (I've come across quite a few).

All that you have is what's to be expected over the years separating the two. More polish and closer to formula perfection, and with that, we have Bayonetta. But that's what i think, as i felt as if i was playing DMC when playing Bayo. (Although i say this, i felt in separate aspects and instances that one was better than the other)

Either way, DMC1 and DMC3 stand as my top two favorites of the genre. :D

Dreavus

Hmm, I think I need to take a break from this game. It seems I cannot handle Infinite Climax mode yet =(. I did alright in the first 4 chapters, but I can't get through chapter 5; the farthest I've gotten is to the second Inspired fight.

I find it really hard to get damage in on the faster enemies in the absence of witch time. Joys are an absolute nightmare to fight against with their very quick combos and frustrating dodges that I'm hard pressed to do much damage to them at all. Ditto on Inspired; he seems to swing his tail every 2 seconds.

I don't know how you guys are doing it. Is it really possible to jump into Infinite Climax after playing through Hard without any problems? The lack of witch time (even the very short increments of it you get on Hard) is absolutely killing my overall effectiveness.

Rektash

Just completed Bayonetta on NSIC mode. Played 50h until now beating 2x normal, 1x hard and 1x nsic with 1000/1000 GS.

Absolutly awesome game overall.

The positive:
- its crazy!
- rewarding dodge system that keeps up the fast paced combat. It's glorious.
- varied gaming experience with angel attack, motorcycle level, shmup level, etc.
- boss fights blow you away the first time you fight them.
- tons of unlockable stuff.
- the music. yep. I liked it.

The negative: (they might seem small but some of them are quite annoying)
- can't change equipment in chapter screen. At least I couldn t find out how to do it.
- can't throw away angel weapons (I don t know how :lol).
- cutscenes (I have no problems with the jap. quirkiness, but they are just too damn long)
- screen sometimes feels a little bit too stuffed with things, effects, monsters, etc.
- camera isn t always perfect
- you can basically breake the game with certain equipment combinations.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There's a mode with no witch time? o.o

Btw if the Inspired fights you're talking about are what I'm thinking of (the second one being right before you fight Jeanne?) I'm almost positive you can just run right past and skip the fight completely.

Alx

Rektash said:
The negative: (they might seem small but some of them are quite annoying)
- can't change equipment in chapter screen. At least I couldn t find out how to do it.

Yes, that bothered me too... there are many chapters that you want to start with a specific equipment, and you have to wait for the level to start to be able to equip it. As a consequence you can't use the initial loading time to practice your specific weapon combination.
On a similar note, I would have appreciated a true training mode, with ennemies or at least punching bags. The closest you have is the possibility to try weapons/moves before you buy them (which is great), but once you have bought everything, it's over.

Rektash said:
- can't throw away angel weapons (I don t know how :lol).

Actually you can, by pressing left stick or something like that... but I never remembered the command while playing either, and always used the weapon until it breaks. :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Alx said:
On a similar note, I would have appreciated a true training mode, with ennemies or at least punching bags.

While not a true training mode of course, just wanted to make sure you know you can hit select while loading.

Tokubetsu

Bayonetta is like that girlfriend you're not sure how you feel about so you just kinda string her a long and stay with because you don't have anything else going on in your life right now. I've beaten it twice, I should really like it if not love it but I just don't. I can't even name what puts me off it besides the fact that it's just not DMC3 and not completely what I expected. Probably gonna finish my NSIC run this week then my 2nd normal run for everything else.

Majukun

Dreavus said:
Hmm, I think I need to take a break from this game. It seems I cannot handle Infinite Climax mode yet =(. I did alright in the first 4 chapters, but I can't get through chapter 5; the farthest I've gotten is to the second Inspired fight.

I find it really hard to get damage in on the faster enemies in the absence of witch time. Joys are an absolute nightmare to fight against with their very quick combos and frustrating dodges that I'm hard pressed to do much damage to them at all. Ditto on Inspired; he seems to swing his tail every 2 seconds.

I don't know how you guys are doing it. Is it really possible to jump into Infinite Climax after playing through Hard without any problems? The lack of witch time (even the very short increments of it you get on Hard) is absolutely killing my overall effectiveness.

combo interruptus (dodge offset) is the way,learn that, and infinite climax mode is your bitch:D

robot

Finally saved up enough 100k halos to get an accessory, after I bought all of techniques. Which one is the most useful? I'm about to start Chapter 14 and plan on doing another playthrough.

Alx

robot said:
Finally saved up enough 100k halos to get an accessory, after I bought all of techniques. Which one is the most useful? I'm about to start Chapter 14 and plan on doing another playthrough.

If you're getting hit a lot during fights, definitely Selene's light (it will trigger witch time when hit).
If you're confident in your fighting skills, either the "xxx of despair" if you want to farm halos and quickly buy other items, or the "Moon of Kaala-etc" to get counters and add more depth to the fights (but I think the last one is 200K).

Canova

Banned
Rektash said:
Just completed Bayonetta on NSIC mode. Played 50h until now beating 2x normal, 1x hard and 1x nsic with 1000/1000 GS.

Absolutly awesome game overall.

The positive:
- its crazy!
- varied gaming experience with angel attack, motorcycle level, shmup level, etc.

I don't like most of the things you list as positives

- its crazy!
It's trying too hard to be over the top. A lot of times too many things on the screen, the halos, the effect, the butterflies, the stars

Bullshit like those should be banned from pure beat-em up action game. The swimming part was removed from DMC1 to DMC3, platform and puzzle were removed from NG to NG2

Boss battles in this game are horrible, horrible, horrible. They remind me of Chaos Legion bosses, where you fight huge bosses and you just stand on a ledge. Your movement is limited. The fight is too patternized. BOTTOMLINE IS BOSSES IN BAYONETTA SUCK ASS

*sighs*

Monocle

canova said:
- its crazy!
It's trying too hard to be over the top. A lot of times too many things on the screen, the halos, the effect, the butterflies, the stars
I've never understood this argument. I mean, sure, the screen can get too busy at times, but "trying too hard"? What a nonsensical thing to say about a game whose entire premise is to push the limits of style. What were you expecting from a game associated with the phrase "climax action"?

[snip]
*sighs*
Taste, get some.

Canova

Banned
Monocle said:
I've never understood this argument. I mean, sure, the screen can get too busy at times, but "trying too hard"? What a nonsensical thing to say about a game whose entire premise is to push the limits of style. What were you expecting from a game associated with the phrase "climax action"?

Taste, get some.

:lol

messy = stylish?!?

OK

Monocle

canova said:

messy = stylish?!?

OK
Do you have a reading problem? Is building straw men a hobby for you or something?

By the way, would you mind sharing a few examples of what you consider to be good game soundtracks? What type of music do you think would have suited Bayonetta better than what it currently has?

Canova

Banned
Monocle said:
Do you have a reading problem? Is building straw men a hobby for you or something?

By the way, would you mind sharing a few examples of what you consider to be good game soundtracks? What type of music do you think would have suited Bayonetta better than what it currently has?

c'mon now, don't get personal, dont argue if you can't stand the heat

NIN90

canova said:

Dude, what are you even trying to accomplish here?
Just stop. It's better for everyone involved. The internet already knows that you don't like Bayonetta.

Monocle

canova said:
If you were interested in conversation as opposed to trolling, I think you would have answered my previous two questions. I offered you an out from a futile argument but you just kept on truckin'.

I'm not interested in shitting up the thread any more. Either have your last word or turn this into a fruitful discussion.

Canova

Banned
NIN90 said:
Dude, what are you even trying to accomplish here?
Just stop. It's better for everyone involved. The internet already knows that you don't like Bayonetta.

Actually I mentioned in this thread that Bayonetta is a good action game. but it has flaws. does your internet say that?

Canova

Banned
Monocle said:
If you were interested in conversation as opposed to trolling, I think you would have answered my previous two questions. I offered you an out from a futile argument but you just kept on truckin'.

I'm not interested in shitting up the thread any more. Either have your last word or turn this into a fruitful discussion.

well what more do you want me to say when you started with 'I don't understand this argument....' You already admit it the screens get messy, do you not think the cutscenes are obnoxious and over the top? if those aren't trying too hard, then what is your definition of trying too hard?

SmokyDave

Now if there's one thing about Bayonetta that I am certain is awesome, it's the soundtrack. The first time 'Fly Me To The Moon' came on I was in tears of laughter.

simtmb

Easy there fellas, nothing is perfect, other than it being a 'solid' 'great' 'excellent' effort within the genre, everything else is just a matter of preference.

How over-the-top the game was, for me was part of the appeal, though some say otherwise. No point arguing about it.

Same goes for video game soundtracks, one persons great is another one's terrible. As for Bayonetta though, i personally loved the soundtrack, fitted the game perfectly, but although quite repetitive. I absolutely love "Fly me to the moon" though. When i first heard the lil remix w/e of it at the start, i was sold.

Monocle

canova said:
well what more do you want me to say when you started with 'I don't understand this argument....' You already admit it the screens get messy, do you not think the cutscenes are obnoxious and over the top? if those aren't trying too hard, then what is your definition of trying too hard?
Yes, I think the cutscenes are over the top, but in a positive sense. Some run far too long and dwell on dull exposition, but that's a separate matter.

As I said, Bayonetta is meant to push the limits of style. (I should clarify that this isn't just my opinion, but the intention of the developers themselves. They've stated as much in interviews and on the official blog.) How would you propose to outdo Devil May Cry and God of War, if not with a character who behaves in an exaggerated manner, who fights in a wild, fast-paced world packed with fantastical environments and bizarre creatures? Bayonetta takes every defining quality of action games—speed, scale and violence, to name a few—to the next level. Even DMC's campy humor is accounted for, and surpassed by Bayonetta's self-aware absurdity.

If the price for that superiority is periodic confusion during gameplay, it's something I can live with. Personally, I rarely have trouble interpreting crowded screens in Bayonetta anymore. I've played the game enough that I can identify the source of most effects as they appear, and even when something temporarily obscures Bayonetta from view, I can infer her position from what I'm doing with the controls, as well as subtle on-screen cues like the direction in which the enemies are facing.

To the best of my knowledge, PlatinumGames tried as hard as they could to make the best game they could. If their plan for Bayonetta was too ambitious, it's not apparent to me in the final product. From my perspective, it doesn't play or look or feel like a failed effort. I don't know if there even exists such a thing as "trying too hard" in the context of a game specifically designed to break limits. It's your phrase, so I'd be interested to know what you meant by it. Also, I'm still waiting for your response to my questions about music. I myself believe that Bayonetta's soundtrack couldn't be better suited to the game's themes.

simtmb

SmokyDave said:
Now if there's one thing about Bayonetta that I am certain is awesome, it's the soundtrack. The first time 'Fly Me To The Moon' came on I was in tears of laughter.

Oh no you didn't. I honestly pissed my pants at the sheer awesomeness.

Tsk tsk tsk.

SmokyDave

simtmb said:
Oh no you didn't. I honestly pissed my pants at the sheer awesomeness.

Tsk tsk tsk.
Honestly, I don't mean it in a derogatory way, the way that track was used the first time was just perfect. I could have jumped up and clapped. More games need to remember not to take themselves seriously.

simtmb

SmokyDave said:
Honestly, I don't mean it in a derogatory way, the way that track was used the first time was just perfect. I could have jumped up and clapped. More games need to remember not to take themselves seriously.

:lol I felt the same. ;)

I laughed as well, but only because it was just so awesome to hear(+lyric pronunciation as well), and as you said, the first time it was used was perfect.

This was actually what initially sold me on the game tbh. Don't know why, but i was completely invested into it after hearing this.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
canova said:
Actually I mentioned in this thread that Bayonetta is a good action game. but it has flaws. does your internet say that?

I think the overarching point was, whether or not you think it is a good action game or good game at all, you don't like it, or you passionately dislike enough about to it make it seem to others like you don't, and you continue making it seem that way in a thread filled with people who do like it. Nes pa?

Dreavus said:

Are you using dodge offset, and the Beads? If not, you should be.

LowParry

People praising the soundtrack now? :lol Good god. I wanted to stab people in the face after the third time hearing the same trash over and over. Look at what they've done to your music Frank!

CcrooK said:
People praising the soundtrack now? :lol Good god. I wanted to stab people in the face after the third time hearing the same trash over and over. Look at what they've done to your music Frank!
There are at least ten-fifteen tracks that are amazing. I could really link you to all of them to prove you wrong. There is some damn good light jazz and epic choir/orchestral work in the game. Plus, Battle for the Umbra Throne tells you to shut the fuck up.

CcrooK said:

Because that's, like, the only song on the soundtrack. :/

LowParry

ZephyrFate said:
There are at least ten-fifteen tracks that are amazing. I could really link you to all of them to prove you wrong. There is some damn good light jazz and epic choir/orchestral work in the game. Plus, Battle for the Umbra Throne tells you to shut the fuck up.

If mediocre is considered "damn good", by all means. Enjoy.

After having time to reflect on it, I've grown to appreciate Bayonetta even more. Most of this came from playing Mass Effect 2. ME2 is a fanstastic game. I spent over 38hours on Veteran difficulty on my first play through. Then I tried doing an insanity playthrough. What was fun and balanced gameplay turned into cheap and frustrating. The lack of Squad AI shined bright along with the traditional "you do less damage while they do more."

For Bayonetta, Climax mode is actually the difficutly you should be playing the game at. And here's why. The lower difficulties are simply tutorial playthroughs designed to teach you the game and prepare you for Climax.

On easy, the game basically holds your hand. This way you're never overwhelmed, get an idea of what the combat is like, how combos work/look/develop.

Progress to normal and the game starts letting you get more control. You have the control bayonetta but your still get help in the form of witch time to slow things down when needed and keep working on those combos.

On hard, you get less opportunities for WT. However by now you're well on your way to learning the game and notice that you do fine without it in most situations. You're starting to rely more on Dodge Offset and other advanced techinques to get your out of places than WT over and over.

Climax takes away WT and you're meant to play the game as it was actually intended. However, Climax isn't cheap or frustrating. If you progressed from Normal>hard>climax and let the game teach you along the way, you'll notice you were quite ready for Climax. The combat is now 2nd nature. You know the enemies and most imporantly, you know what you're doing.

I still can't recall a game that progresses a player through difficulty with such brilliance. When you think about it, WT was nothing more than a learning tool to help your develop your skills for real game, which is and was always meant to be played on Climax.

Top Bottom