• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
Ultimo hombre said:
After having time to reflect on it, I've grown to appreciate Bayonetta even more. Most of this came from playing Mass Effect 2. ME2 is a fanstastic game. I spent over 38hours on Veteran difficulty on my first play through. Then I tried doing an insanity playthrough. What was fun and balanced gameplay turned into cheap and frustrating. The lack of Squad AI shined bright along with the traditional "you do less damage while they do more."

For Bayonetta, Climax mode is actually the difficutly you should be playing the game at. And here's why. The lower difficulties are simply tutorial playthroughs designed you teach you the game and prepare you for Climax.

On easy, the game basically holds your hand. This way you're never overwhelmed, get an idea of what the combat is like, how combos work/look/develop.

Progress to normal and the game starts letting you get more control. You have the control bayonetta but your still get help in the form of witch time to slow things down when needed and keep working on those combos.

On hard, you get less opportunities for WT. However by now you're well on your way to learning the game and notice that you do fine without it in most situations. You're starting to rely more on Dodge Offset and other advanced techinques to get your out of places than WT over and over.

Climax takes away WT and you're meant to play the game as it was actually intended. However, Climax isn't cheap or frustrating. If you progressed from Normal>hard>climax and let the game teach you along the way, you'll notice you were quite ready for Climax. The combat is now 2nd nature. You know the enemies and most imporantly, you know what you're doing.

I still can't recall a game that progresses a player through difficulty with brilliance. When you think about it, WT was nothing more than a learning tool to help your develop your skills for real game, which is and was always meant to be played on Climax.

In retrospect...this post makes PERFECT sense! I truly appreciate Bayonetta as an action game and hope this was the start of a wonderful franchise.

Dreavus

Net_Wrecker said:
Are you using dodge offset, and the Beads? If not, you should be.

Yes and yes (I sometimes swap beads with the eternal testimony, with the counter accessory being a mainstay in slot 2... maybe beads 100% is the way to go?), although I can't see many good moves to dodge offset INTO with enemies this fast. They don't really give you time to finish off a PPPPP or a PPPPK because that last hit is a little flurry or punchs/kicks that often have to be dodged out of to avoid getting hit. PPKKK seems alright but the last wicked weave is really slow to come out. Air combos feel really useless against the likes of Joy and G&G since they just flip away when you jump in for an air combo.

I've been playing around with the shotguns lately and seem to be having a bit of success with them. They actually stun enemies when you fire them after punches which seems to be helping (was using Scarborough Fair a lot before).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just bought this game and am only up to chapter 3. I'm really feeling a bit lost as I try to figure out what combos lead to the big hair finishers(or just finding a good groove with the timing of any combo). I do adore witch time though which I find a FAR superior reward than the Nero's blade trigger effect in DMC4.

I am totally lost on the point of the X button, and the crafting/gun equipping/etc... Should I be blowing my ingredients on healing lolli's, or saving them up? Are shotguns worth equipping? I just can't find a real balance as to what is effective yet.

Playing on Normal and enjoying it. Much like DMC series I completely expect a powered-up second playthrough is the REAL experience. Just trying to familiarize myself now and not feel like a total boob as I figure out patterns and tricks.

Oh and this game is gorgeous, popped it in after Bioshock 2 and the clarity and crispness of the textures and environments really stands out.

CcrooK said:
:lol

If mediocre is considered "damn good", by all means. Enjoy.

If you think that all of the soundtrack is mediocre, then what isn't? I can understand hating Bayonetta's theme, especially because it gets played so often, and maybe the Fly Me to the Moon remix, but that only gets used five times. Everything else is pretty amazing and I don't see how anyone can say the soundtrack sucks.

Dreavus said:
Yes and yes (I sometimes swap beads with the eternal testimony, with the counter accessory being a mainstay in slot 2... maybe beads 100% is the way to go?), although I can't see many good moves to dodge offset INTO with enemies this fast. They don't really give you time to finish off a PPPPP or a PPPPK because that last hit is a little flurry or punchs/kicks that often have to be dodged out of to avoid getting hit. PPKKK seems alright but the last wicked weave is really slow to come out. Air combos feel really useless against the likes of Joy and G&G since they just flip away when you jump in for an air combo.

I've been playing around with the shotguns lately and seem to be having a bit of success with them. They actually stun enemies when you fire them after punches which seems to be helping (was using Scarborough Fair a lot before).

Dawg, PKP is like the bread and butter combo with every weapon, most ESPECIALLY the katana. It's easy as hell to offset that, and it's FAST.

Brandon F said:
Just bought this game and am only up to chapter 3. I'm really feeling a bit lost as I try to figure out what combos lead to the big hair finishers(or just finding a good groove with the timing of any combo). I do adore witch time though which I find a FAR superior reward than the Nero's blade trigger effect in DMC4.

I am totally lost on the point of the X button, and the crafting/gun equipping/etc... Should I be blowing my ingredients on healing lolli's, or saving them up? Are shotguns worth equipping? I just can't find a real balance as to what is effective yet.

Press the back/select button in the menus to get in to practice mode to get a real hold on all of the combos.

The X button (I presume you mean the shooting button) is for keeping your combos going when you can't reach an enemy to get some good hits in.

Ingredients are up to you honestly, do w/e you want. After a while you shouldn't even need/care about them.

ALL weapons are worth equipping. Find the ones you like but never think that one is worthless, especially when you start doubling them up on hands + feet.

Sooo.. I started my Hard playthrough today and I'm already stuck at the part where you have to fight "Grace&Glory" on the wing of the plane and have to get 3 torture finishers. I just can't do it and I want to get pass it to get to Rodain and get the good guns and all the good stuff.

Any tips ;_; ??

Tokubetsu

TheThunder said:
Sooo.. I started my Hard playthrough today and I'm already stuck at the part where you have to fight "Grace&Glory" on the wing of the plane and have to get 3 torture finishers. I just can't do it and I want to get pass it to get to Rodain and get the good guns and all the good stuff.

Any tips ;_; ??

Stop sucking.

No, seriously though, unequip the item that uses magic for witch time if you have it and use short combos/attacks. Jeanne will usually be focus firing on one, tackle the other.

Rctdaemon

TheThunder said:

Any tips ;_; ??

If you haven't already bought it, buy the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa (The countering accessory), practice using it, and max out your magic meter before that verse starts. If all else fails, use the lollipops that restore magic.

TheThunder said:

Any tips ;_; ??

try to do simple Wicked Weaves attacks to boost up the magic meter. Like punch, kick, punch with the 3rd punch being the wicked weave attack..

dodge allot to not get hit!

krakov

Don't want to seem like a hater here, but I'm having a hard time with this game so far. Have been playing for a few hours today, up to chapter X I think. Really like the combat even though I'm not very good yet. What bothers me is the rest of the gameplay. I think I've had a few dozen deaths related to random level hazards and so far the QTE's have managed to catch me off guard even when I was expecting them. Just feels very trial and error, which to me is very annoying when you get a score at the end of the level. Sure you'll learn to deal with such moments but why are they there in the first place? also I'd like way more combat and tougher enemies (and bosses), they all seem to give up too fast.

On the other hand, what are you buying?

Daigoro

Ultimo hombre said:
After having time to reflect on it, I've grown to appreciate Bayonetta even more. Most of this came from playing Mass Effect 2. ME2 is a fanstastic game. I spent over 38hours on Veteran difficulty on my first play through. Then I tried doing an insanity playthrough. What was fun and balanced gameplay turned into cheap and frustrating. The lack of Squad AI shined bright along with the traditional "you do less damage while they do more."

For Bayonetta, Climax mode is actually the difficutly you should be playing the game at. And here's why. The lower difficulties are simply tutorial playthroughs designed to teach you the game and prepare you for Climax.

On easy, the game basically holds your hand. This way you're never overwhelmed, get an idea of what the combat is like, how combos work/look/develop.

Progress to normal and the game starts letting you get more control. You have the control bayonetta but your still get help in the form of witch time to slow things down when needed and keep working on those combos.

On hard, you get less opportunities for WT. However by now you're well on your way to learning the game and notice that you do fine without it in most situations. You're starting to rely more on Dodge Offset and other advanced techinques to get your out of places than WT over and over.

Climax takes away WT and you're meant to play the game as it was actually intended. However, Climax isn't cheap or frustrating. If you progressed from Normal>hard>climax and let the game teach you along the way, you'll notice you were quite ready for Climax. The combat is now 2nd nature. You know the enemies and most imporantly, you know what you're doing.

I still can't recall a game that progresses a player through difficulty with such brilliance. When you think about it, WT was nothing more than a learning tool to help your develop your skills for real game, which is and was always meant to be played on Climax.

brilliant. exactly the way i feel.

i was in the Trails HD thread comparing these two games saying essentially the same thing.

the things that seem difficult or impossible at first become second nature after the game teaches you how to play. the game teaches you how to become a badass. so damn fun.

i pity these guys who played through once and put the game down thinking that that was all it had to offer.

I'm an idiot

Either that or the game screwed me over. So I start a new game on Hard and then it asks me if I want to continue from my last save me thinking it means new game+ so I said yes. At the start they gave me these shitty guns and no techniques or accessories I thought I would get them as soon as I can access the "Gates of Hell" store but like I said I got stuck on that part on the plane with G&G. Long story short I quit and load the game manually to see if it works and it does :D

Blow through the prologue and chapter 1 like nobody else business. I gotta say the game is sweet the second time around :D

Any general tips or weapons I have missed you Bayonetta vets ? even though I'm in love with the Katana + Burning bear claws combo

IMO this has potential of surpassing DMC for me depending on how this playthrough pans out, Awesome:D

CcrooK said:
I'll direct you to this thread. The rest you can figure out from there: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=387033

Bayonetta's orchestral music is at least as good as Shadow of the Colossus's or Super Mario Galaxy's. It sounds more "game-y" than either of those, but that doesn't detract from it.

krakov said:
I think I've had a few dozen deaths related to random level hazards and so far the QTE's have managed to catch me off guard even when I was expecting them. Just feels very trial and error, which to me is very annoying when you get a score at the end of the level.

I think that's the point. You aren't supposed to be getting good scores on the levels until you replay them.

Ultimo hombre said:

For Bayonetta, Climax mode is actually the difficutly you should be playing the game at. And here's why. The lower difficulties are simply tutorial playthroughs designed to teach you the game and prepare you for Climax.

I still can't recall a game that progresses a player through difficulty with such brilliance. When you think about it, WT was nothing more than a learning tool to help your develop your skills for real game, which is and was always meant to be played on Climax.

No offense, but I think your out of tune with most people who play games. Most gamers, i.e. the minority of people who post on these boards, are casual gamers who regard entertainment as more important than challenge. The game was meant to be played on normal, it's a fair balance between the strengths and weaknesses of the CPU vs the strengths and weaknesses of the player. The more hardcore will enjoy hard and NIC where the player is at an overwhelming disadvantage.

TheThunder said:
IMO this has potential of surpassing DMC for me depending on how this playthrough pans out, Awesome:D

You'll find this is better than dmc already and god of war. Hopefully it will get many goty's as it deserves it, just on the gameplay alone. I find i'm not gonna get bored of it anytime soon.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
palpabl_purpura said:
No offense, but I think your out of tune with most people who play games. Most gamers, i.e. the minority of people who post on these boards, are casual gamers who regard entertainment as more important than challenge. The game was meant to be played on normal, it's a fair balance between the strengths and weaknesses of the CPU vs the strengths and weaknesses of the player. The more hardcore will enjoy hard and NIC where the player is at an overwhelming disadvantage.

I don't know if I can go that far.

Maybe "the game is meant to be able to be played on normal and still be enjoyable," but these games always house the greatest rewards behind the biggest challenges.

zoukka

Hawkian said:
I don't know if I can go that far.

Maybe "the game is meant to be able to be played on normal and still be enjoyable," but these games always house the greatest rewards behind the biggest challenges.

Nevertheless NORMAL is where you experience everything for the first time and for which most of the game was balanced for. Even though you'd like to think so, the game isn't made for the guys who make combo videos.

palpabl_purpura said:

I agree. For those who are familiar with the genre, Normal is certainly how you should play the game the first time. I'm not arguing anything. What I'm saying is the Normal is simply part of the learning curve. The depth of the game continues beyond normal. What you learn on Normal, you will need to apply on Hard and what you learn you Hard, will certainly aid you on Climax. Climax on Bayonetta, unlike in most other action games is not there for bravado and boasting purposes. Instead, Climax is where your learning ends and compliation of the skillset fed to you through lower difficulties is put to test. You don't need to be a "combo master" or have to go through multiple controllers out of frustration to beat Bayonetta on Climax. You simply have to learn along the way.

I really don't care if someone plays this on normal and walks away after one play through. It's not my life and/or time. They can do as they please. What I'm stating is the evolution of game play through difficutly and how it's presented with such brilliance. It's not until you beat multiple playthroughs, on the various difficulties and reflect after that you really grasp it. This is one aspect of Bayonetta that I will pit against future action games and I have a feeling many, if not all, will come up short. Thus, another reason why Bayonetta is a cut above anything else.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
i wonder what's going on in the bayonetta thread, i haven't checked it in a whi --

oh.

oh dear.

zoukka

Hombre, what is it that makes Bayonetta so different from DMC3 in regards of that difficulty learning curve? To defeat DMD you needed to become a semi-god of sorts.

Rez said:
i wonder what's going on in the bayonetta thread, i haven't checked it in a whi --

oh.

oh dear.

I posted my reflections on the difficutly and then just for fun, went to browsing a few pages back. oh dear is right.

Dogenzaka

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
There are at least ten-fifteen tracks that are amazing. I could really link you to all of them to prove you wrong. There is some damn good light jazz and epic choir/orchestral work in the game. Plus, Battle for the Umbra Throne tells you to shut the fuck up.

People think you can prove musical taste wrong now?

wut

CadetMahoney said:
You'll find this is better than dmc already and god of war. Hopefully it will get many goty's as it deserves it, just on the gameplay alone. I find i'm not gonna get bored of it anytime soon.

I don't know about GOW but it's definitely given DMC a run for it's money.

Monocle

TheThunder said:
I don't know about GOW but it's definitely given DMC a run for it's money.
GOW is all about spectacle. The first playthrough is the most important because that's when everything is novel. High replay value isn't a central feature of its design. DMC is designed to keep improving the more you spend time with it. The game's presentation could be seen to imply that it shares GOW's style over substance methodology. The truth, of course, is that DMC's gameplay is quite technical, combat being the main focus. This in marked contrast to GOW's more accessible gameplay, with its relatively shallow combat and wealth of light platforming and puzzle solving.

So while GOW may initially be the more impressive game, DMC has far greater staying power. The design philosophy you prefer depends on the type of gamer you are.

wow easy their fellas GOW, DMC and Bayonetta are all great games and they just scratch different itch for me. There is plenty of love to go around, not really the kind of guy that picks one game out of a genre and sits on it.

zoukka

Monocle said:
So while GOW may initially be the more impressive game, DMC has far greater staying power.

That's highly subjective though. I'm certain that the GoW games have been replayed more than DMC games. Staying power being something else than the depth of combat of course.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
zoukka said:
Nevertheless NORMAL is where you experience everything for the first time and for which most of the game was balanced for. Even though you'd like to think so, the game isn't made for the guys who make combo videos.

No- you're going too far, whether or not your direct opponent in this debate is doing the same.

The game isn't made for the guys who make combo videos, it's made for ME. Well, not just me, but you get the idea. I'm never going to be one of the best in the world at this game, but I am going to get good enough to experience the full extent of its challenge and take advantage of its replayability.

Look at it this way: yes, normal is where you experience everything for the first time- but to someone who has beaten the game on the higher difficulties, normal will seem like something of a joke. It won't even be enjoyable anymore. I didn't even play DMC4 on Human to begin with.

Ultimo hombre said:
I agree. For those who are familiar with the genre, Normal is certainly how you should play the game the first time.
(Wisely) Bayonetta doesn't actually give you the choice of playing anything harder, just the two Automatic difficulties and Normal.

zoukka said:
I'm certain that the GoW games have been replayed more than DMC games.

I don't agree; I think the likelihood of that is very low. We simply must be deciding whether or not a game warrants replaying based on different criteria.

Man, just started playing this game and I'm up to Chapter 1. It was late and I was tired, but this game already has so much awesomeness even in the Prologue. I can forsee the potential of some amazing combo's that I'll be able to down once I power up Bayonetta.

Rodin needs to get in them draws!

Dahbomb

zoukka said:
This game is made for all action game fans. It's made for people who just want to experience kick ass action gaming fun and for those who want more than just a single walkthrough in Normal mode.

The game is extremely balanced on all difficulty settings and Witch Time is more or less a crutch that is thank fully removed in NSIC. You also don't experience EVERYTHING on your first time in Bayonetta, some stuff like abilities and weapons you receive after you have beaten the game more than once. The final difficulty is the culmination of everything that is Bayonetta. It is the Dante Must Die mode equivalent.

If this game was made just for the casual action game fan then there would only be 2 modes: Easy and Normal. Clearly the developer wouldn't have put in as much effort into the higher difficulties if that was the case.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Daigoro said:
this is now the offical DMC vs GOW thread. im done.

have fun.

Don't leave. I want to talk about Bayonetta :-[

For instance, is it a good idea to frequently switch states with Durga, or pick which suits your style best (either fire/lighting) and stick with it for the duration of a battle?

zoukka

Hawkian said:
I don't agree; I think the likelihood of that is very low. We simply must be deciding whether or not a game warrants replaying based on different criteria.

Nope. The popularity of GoW series pretty much guarantees that they are more often replayed. There's no complicated thinking needed here. The motivators just are completely different.

This game is made for all action game fans. It's made for people who just want to experience kick ass action gaming fun and for those who want more than just a single walkthrough in Normal mode.

You are correct. Care to guess which group is larger?

Monocle

Beezy said:
*sigh* Please stop mentioning God of War. It's not even the same type of game.
In that last bit you make a valid point. I have it from David Jaffe himself that GOW was not meant to be an answer to DMC and its complex combat mechanics, but an adventure game informed by his personal tastes. (I've mentioned this before.) Like Dogenzaka says, that's really no reason to avoid discussing GOW here. There exists a general perception that GOW is an action game, so of course the title is bound to pop up in conversations about bona fide members of that genre.

zoukka said:
That's highly subjective though. I'm certain that the GoW games have been replayed more than DMC games. Staying power being something else than the depth of combat of course.
Replayed, as in completing a playthrough then jumping right back in for another go? I can see people wanting to revisit GOW after a number of months, perhaps years, but I think it very unlikely that consecutive playthroughs are common. GOW lacks new game +. That alone would deter a lot of gamers from a second run. (GOW2's developers appear to have agreed: GOW's sequel has full weapon and experience carryover.)

I strongly believe that my earlier observation about novelty is sound. GOW's main appeal is its spectacle. Familiarity considerably dulls its impact.

The final point I would advance is that most gamers probably wouldn't want to repeat the same puzzles over and over again. DMC keeps its non-combat challenges light, as an action game should, while GOW, with its broader focus, features a great deal of environmental puzzles that can quickly grow dull. How many times in a row would you want to rotate the Rings of Pandora? Honestly.

Nope. The popularity of GoW series pretty much guarantees that they are more often replayed. There's no complicated thinking needed here. The motivators just are completely different.
In aggregate, maybe, but on an individual basis (which is all that really matters here)? Fat chance.

You are correct. Care to guess which group is larger?
Irrelevant. The fact remains that Kamiya has explicitly stated his game is for everyone. That includes you, hardcore action game fans, grandmas whose only experience with games is from Wii Sports, and everyone in between. Look, if you're still not convinced, consider the design of Bayonetta itself. How many other action titles have both an ultra-punishing difficulty setting and one which you can almost literally beat with one hand? More generally, how many other action titles have almost everything a seasoned action gamer could ask for and include such a broad array of features suited to inexperienced players?

Hawkian said:
Don't leave. I want to talk about Bayonetta :-[

For instance, is it a good idea to frequently switch states with Durga, or pick which suits your style best (either fire/lighting) and stick with it for the duration of a battle?
That's entirely up to you. Usually I stick with Flame Durga because the charge bombs are so useful. Dodge offset compensates for its lack of speed when you're up against fast enemies like Graces & Glories or Joys or Jeanne. Lighting Durga is good to use during sustained combos and battles with the large bosses. I don't switch modes mid-battle very often unless I'm using two sets of Durgas.

zoukka

Well personally I played through both GoW:s on all difficulties + challenges within months of purchase. Would be interesting to make a poll or see a graph about this.

Irrelevant. The fact remains that Kamiya has explicitly stated his game is for everyone.

Good. Now we can bury the "how it's meant to be played" bullshit.

RSB

Banned
So fanboys of other action games/franchises are trolling this thread, huh? Cool, if they care to do that, that means they feel "threatened" by this game, therefore Bayonetta must be really good (if it wasn't, they wouldn't even care) It' funny to see them trying to downplay Bayonetta, and accomplishing just the opposite :D

Bye ;)

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
So I'm trying to get 1000 / 1000 achievements for this game now and I can't get the Treasure Fanatic one. I used a guide to collect everything + plus the alfheims, and have the all alfheim achievement but somehow missed the treasure one. I'm pretty positive it's a Blue Moon Pearl piece, but going through the guide again and backtracking to the BMP specific places I'm not getting anything new. I wish there was a way to check how many treasures you've collected for each chapter, like Assassin's Creed 2 did for feathers. As much as I love this game, I've never cared for collecting shit, and I don't wanna go back yet again with a guide ... but Jesus, not having 1000 / 1000 for Bayo really bothers the shit out of me lolz.

Argh.

zoukka

V_Arnold said:
Zoukka, what in the bloody, bloody hell are you still doing here?
What do you expect to achieve by constantly trolling?

Chill out, we're throwing arguments in here. Nobodys trollin. A lot people are crying though.

simtmb

With such games, i always choose the hardest difficulty available straight off the bat. I just find it more enjoyable that way for whatever reason. This is basically with most games though, but in this particular genre and every subset and deviation of it, the harder the difficulty i find to be the better as more often then not, the challenge isn't quite there. Thankfully however, Bayonetta's difficulty modes are all equally excellent, and i thoroughly enjoyed going through it on Normal. Hoping to spend some time on the latter difficulties when i get the chance.

Top Bottom