• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

ezekial45

Banned
Koralsky said:
Well, I know this is just rumors without any real source, but the guy who posted is Japanese and most of the stuff from his post sounds (almost) legit.

On topic:

"- Sega is developing Bayonetta 2 and also a CG movie for cinemas will be announced together;"

Whole post, full of TGS11 rumors, here.

Oh God! That would be fantastic!

Persona7

Banned
I would play bayonetta so much more if it was instantly accessible on my hard drive like a arcade game and extremely optimized for loading.

Frankfurt

Banned
Wanted to replay this on hard, but after a while I just had to drop it because of the cutscenes.

Not only because they're atrocious, but there are cutscenes that go directly into more cutscenes and there are sections where you fight 2 minutes, go into cutscene, 5 minutes, cutscene... There are cutscenes that, if you skip, you go into a frozen in-game shot while the game loads...

They even mess up the "skip" option. Instead of simply pressing a button to skip, you press start to pause and go into a menu, press left to select "yes", then confirm. If the game had only a handful of cutscenes that would be fine, but there are dozens and dozens, sometimes stringed one after the other. Cutscene, pause, yes, confirm. Straight into another cutscene, pause, yes, confirm. Load. Fight 2 minutes. Cutscene. Pause, yes, confirm. Load.

It's like the game is punishing me for trying to avoid the awful characters, writing and character design. There's no escaping the terrible stuff! Just let me play the game this second time, don't make me suffer through the bad stuff!

The "cake covered in shit" analogy some people used makes even more sense now...

Jags

Neo Member
Frankfurt said:
They even mess up the "skip" option. Instead of simply pressing a button to skip, you press start to pause and go into a menu, press left to select "yes", then confirm. If the game had only a handful of cutscenes that would be fine, but there are dozens and dozens, sometimes stringed one after the other. Cutscene, pause, yes, confirm. Straight into another cutscene, pause, yes, confirm. Load. Fight 2 minutes. Cutscene. Pause, yes, confirm. Load.

You can skip them immediately by holding right trigger and pressing back. Install to hard drive and loads aren't an issue either. Just the quicktime scenes.

Carbonox

Give me Bayonetta 2, kkthxbai.

I'd definitely be interested in a CGI movie as well.

The rest of the rumours though suggest this is a load of bollocks. I am looking forward to TGS though.

Famassu

Frankfurt said:
Wanted to replay this on hard, but after a while I just had to drop it because of the cutscenes.

Not only because they're atrocious, but there are cutscenes that go directly into more cutscenes and there are sections where you fight 2 minutes, go into cutscene, 5 minutes, cutscene... There are cutscenes that, if you skip, you go into a frozen in-game shot while the game loads...

It's like the game is punishing me for trying to avoid the awful characters, writing and character design. There's no escaping the terrible stuff! Just let me play the game this second time, don't make me suffer through the bad stuff!
You can just skip them instantly by pressing R2 + Select / Right Trigger + Back, no need for menus...

And I don't remember getting any frozen in-game shots while the game loads. Are you sure your console is okay?

The "cake covered in shit" analogy some people used makes even more sense now...
No, it's "fuckawesome cake covered in even fuckawesomer cake".

Anteater

Famassu said:
You can just skip them instantly by pressing R2 + Select / Right Trigger + Back, no need for menus...

And I don't remember getting any frozen in-game shots while the game loads. Are you sure your console is okay?

No, it's "fuckawesome cake covered in even fuckawesomer cake".

There is if he's playing the ps3 version.

But yea skip the cutscenes with R2 + select. It isn't a problem on the second and third playthrough.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I remember seeing that movie rumor on their forums forever ago

so yeah I don't buy it.

I finally started playing this game after picking it up at launch and playing the first 2 chapters. I started playing this game again and was having a blast. I didnt know what was going on at first and totally forgot the controls but I got used to the controls. I dont know what I was thinking leaving the game collect dust. What do you recommend spending the halos on first?

Nothing boggles my mind more than the hate this game gets from even people who love the gameplay.

I mean, I'm sick of the Japanese obsession with Fly me to the Moon too, but if this game had a fault, it was that it occasionally got repetitious, not its character design or OST.

I still can't put my finger on why I loved this game so much though, but I do know that it was the last game I actually sat down and played exclusively until I finished it.

Anteater

crimzonflame said:
I finally started playing this game after picking it up at launch and playing the first 2 chapters. I started playing this game again and was having a blast. I didnt know what was going on at first and totally forgot the controls but I got used to the controls. I dont know what I was thinking leaving the game collect dust. What do you recommend spending the halos on first?

Buy Bats Within and double jump for techniques if you haven't already, I can't remember what's all you have to buy but grab the techniques you think you're going to use. (the stomp is pretty good too)

For accessories the parrying accessory and pulley's butterfly are the most useful. The latter lets you use your magic bar to summon butterflies that absorbs hits.

There's also the HP and Magic increase items.

Roto13

Personally, I'd go for the health and magic upgrades and techniques you think you'll use before going for accessories. Bat Within is a good one and Bird Within is necessary to grab one or two optional items at some point in the game, but you won't get everything your first run through anyway so you can go back for them.

Mascot

Started (and finished) Bayonetta recently after owning it for over a year.

Great game but HOLY FUCK at the
false endings..! I thought I'd beaten the game a dozen times, finally did, and then OH NO I DIDN'T! Was there ANY element of DMC4 that wasn't 1-upped? LOL

A sequel would pique my interest.

Anteater

Mascot said:
Started (and finished) Bayonetta recently after owning it for over a year.

Great game but HOLY FUCK at the
false endings..! I thought I'd beaten the game a dozen times, finally did, and then OH NO I DIDN'T! Was there ANY element of DMC4 that wasn't 1-upped? LOL

A sequel would pique my interest.

Yea I love how it just won't fucking ends :lol
god damn kamiya

Apoc87

Banned
Bayonetta plays better off the disc than an install (xbox 360).

If you guys have been playing the disc version installed, i suggest you un-install and re-play the game.

Night and day.

xxczx

I don't know how a sequel would work, everything finished nicely.

I would much enjoy a Vanquish sequel since that has major cliffhangers but I wouldn't mind a Bayonetta 2.

Torraz

Apoc87 said:
Bayonetta plays better off the disc than an install (xbox 360).

If you guys have been playing the disc version installed, i suggest you un-install and re-play the game.

Night and day.

Well, thanks for that! Any explanation as to why this would be the case?

I just rebought the xbox 360 version for 10 bucks after greatly having enjoyed the ps 3 version (which I got as a gift). Since the 360 version is said to be totally superior, I would like to experience the game in its full glory.

Anteater

Roto13 said:
Vanquish might never get a sequel with Shinji Mikami apparently retiring after his upcoming Bethesda project.

Mikami rarely do any sequels anyway other than reboots and remake, like REmake and RE4, it's a shame his next game is going to be his last directorial work, but I have faith in him as a producer, I think Kamiya was trained under Mikami for RE2 and then Kamiya came up with DMC and he turned out so fucking awesome, so I'm looking forward to what Tango gameworks is going to provide us with.

I'm not 100% sure but I think he's training Ikumi Nakamura who was the Bayonetta concept artist, it's going to be interesting.

Edit: One thing I love about PG is that they seem to do a lot of research in the genre they're doing, Vanquish is their first action TPS and it turns out to be so fucking awesome. Ikumi Nakamura mentioned she played some of those bethesda game like new vegas and she loves it, and also hinting that she has a lot of ideas and conept that might never sell, I'm looking forward to what Tango is going to make.

Apoc87

Banned
Torraz said:
Well, thanks for that! Any explanation as to why this would be the case?

I just rebought the xbox 360 version for 10 bucks after greatly having enjoyed the ps 3 version (which I got as a gift). Since the 360 version is said to be totally superior, I would like to experience the game in its full glory.

No clue. It's very odd.

Most games I have installed (hell, all games) play as well or better off the hard drive. I always play my first session of every new game off the disc though, just to give my drive some workout.

After I installed Bayonetta, loading times were cut, but screen tearing increased GREATLY, and frame rate drops were everywhere. I could barely control her in some battles (gracious and glorious on the steps.) I deleted it off the hard drive after that and always played from the disc.

Bayonetta on xbox 360, playing off the disc. Full glory.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I just realized Platinum Games blog has been posting Kamiya's playthrough of Bayonetta. Need to catch up.

MjFrancis

I just got to the final boss on my first playthrough (Normal) and after a half-hour, an insta-kill move got me. I don't know how far back it set me, but that was the first time in years that I've just shook my head and powered off my console rather than clicking a "Yes" or "No" on a continue screen. I've been digging the game, it's incredible, but that was too much after such slow and labored play. I guess if I have to describe it as labor instead of play it's best I put it down for the night anyways.

Tzeentch

I enjoyed Bayonetta more than I thought I would. But yeah, it had a lot of "What the?! Oooookkaaaayyyy" moments, followed by playing not playing the game for a month.

Some of the just really obnoxious random difficulty reminded me (badly) of Ninja Gaiden 2.

Oh, and I found the "story" part of the game really obnoxious.

Do you have to finish a chapter after completing an alfheim for it to count towards the "complete all alfheims" achievement/trophy?

--

This game is way too easy and way too fun with the climax brace.

--

Dumb question: Why does it look like there are three accessory equip slots? I swear, there's one down by her hip... but I can't ever seem to put anything in it?

MjFrancis

Tzeentch said:
Oh, and I found the "story" part of the game really obnoxious.
I finally had to just start skipping cutscenes after chapter ten. Didn't care for them much at all. I replayed an older chapter and admired how well the game flowed once the cutscenes were skipped completely, so I eventually decided to skip the rest.

Then the game becomes a real roller coaster that's all about random assholes with halos looking for a fight. Like Ninja Gaiden in Heaven. Of course, Ninja Gaiden was all about fighting random monsters for some revenge blah blah blah. I don't fucking care.

Jintor

The only obnoxious random difficulty is mid-game instant-kill QTEs that you get used to the second time, and
punching Jubileus into the sun, what the fuck

Anyway I need Jeanne-fighting tips. Three Jeannes at once fighting tips. I'm rocking Scarborough Fair/Bazillions and Katana/Rockets, but it's not cutting it. It's way too difficult to get magic off them too so my Butterflies only work for so long :<

I actually managed to get up to Bayonetta once but she just murders you almost instantly. So much damage, it's insane

corrosivefrost said:
Dumb question: Why does it look like there are three accessory equip slots? I swear, there's one down by her hip... but I can't ever seem to put anything in it?

There's only one item that can go in that slot, it's the auto-play Marionette from easier difficulty levels

Jintor said:
There's only one item that can go in that slot, it's the auto-play Marionette from easier difficulty levels

This would explain it. Thanks!

Anyone notice or have an issue where the left side of the bottom life bar doesn't have a tile once you get the last 2 segments? At least it does on my PS3 version... :|

MjFrancis

Jintor said:
The only obnoxious random difficulty is mid-game instant-kill QTEs that you get used to the second time, and
Seriously, I can't even get to the sequence where I punch Jubileus into the sun. Insta-kill bullshit left and right on my way there. I finally made it a little easier with a better weapons selection, (rockets hand & foot) but it still feels like cheap bullshit that was absent from the other 99.9% of the game. I died trying to run up my hair twice, and I assume that's mostly there.

Curufinwe

Jintor said:

Anyway I need Jeanne-fighting tips. Three Jeannes at once fighting tips. I'm rocking Scarborough Fair/Bazillions and Katana/Rockets, but it's not cutting it. It's way too difficult to get magic off them too so my Butterflies only work for so long :<

I actually managed to get up to Bayonetta once but she just murders you almost instantly. So much damage, it's insane

Have you tried using Beast Offset against them?

I honestly have NO idea what insta-kill move you guys are talking about. I don't remember ever getting frustrated by anything remotely "cheap" in Bayonetta.

MjFrancis

Nevermind, I was being a whiny bitch and the third time was a charm. The insta-kill
was the final boss shooting a vortex in the middle of the arena. Once I learned to keep running when the boss was doing nothing, I was fine

Curufinwe

If you fail some QTEs, it's an insta-kill.

Official Guide says this about the three Jeannes.

Activate the Butterflies first, then try and hit a couple of them with the K attack from the Claw Angel arm. Then switch back to using the PPP(K(K(K combo, reactivating the Butterflies as needed.

Weapons are Shuraba and Durga (Fire).

MjFrancis

After finishing a normal difficulty run on Bayonetta, I can’t help but be impressed. Initially I found the final boss battle frustrating, but considering how I would feel if I was able to roll her over like the final boss in Madworld, I’d much rather have to regroup and come up with new strategies on victory. Rolling a final boss that’s barely more difficult than Musou cannon fodder is ultimately a more frustrating endeavor.

It’s not too often that I’m interested in a second play through in any action game, but I’m probably going to mull through some of the Alfheim challenges that were scattered about the game. I beat the first four, but abandoned my pursuit of others (and other collectibles) so I could focus on the action. Sure, collecting treasure and beating Alfheim’s often yield rewards that make subsequent encounters easier, but I didn’t want to slow down the action. A pause here and there is fine, especially after a taxing boss fight, but not much more than that. Finding treasure slows things down because it’s a game of hide-and-seek, and Alfheim challenges because they require substantial persistence, like fighting an overleveled JRPG boss. The feeling of conquering such a battle is exhilarating, but given that they also double as advanced tutorial missions these repeated endeavors slow the pace of the game far too much on a normal playthrough.

For a Hard playthrough, they should serve as advanced tutorials. I imagine I'll need the rewards and the practice.

Curufinwe

I don't now how useful it is, but Taunt Offset looks very cool.

I deleted my install of Bayonetta tonight and played it just from the disc. I'm going to back to some of the Chapters I have low rankings on so I can improve them. Mainly on Normal because I had so many cheap deaths on my first playthru.

Jintor

Christ. Optional boss spoilers

Is there any way of fighting Rodin without paying 999,999 a pop?

It'd be so fun if I could just keep working at it!

Anteater

Jintor said:
Christ. Optional boss spoilers

Is there any way of fighting Rodin without paying 999,999 a pop?

It'd be so fun if I could just keep working at it!

Just reload a save, I think I just keep retrying, if I feel like getting the money back I just reload.

Jintor

I... I guess I could, although it autosaves once you return to the menu screen. I haven't gamed the system since my Platinum runthrough though. Ah well

/edit I've been playing way too much Bayonetta. I was playing Ocarina of Time and started idly thinking about how to adapt the control scheme to play Bayonetta on a 3DS.

Finally got around to beating Bayonetta on non-stop climax mode over the weekend. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Anyways, I got the
Pillow Talk
weapon, which is completely bad ass. Does it have any special attributes I am not aware of, besides
growing in length
?

Top Bottom