• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Roto13

EteRnal_PAL said:
Finally got around to beating Bayonetta on non-stop climax mode over the weekend. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Anyways, I got the
Pillow Talk
weapon, which is completely bad ass. Does it have any special attributes I am not aware of, besides
growing in length
?
It doesn't do wicked weaves, but it does grow huge if you charge it up or when you use it in Climax mode (the state Bayonetta goes into when she fights bosses or equips the Climax Brace). I wasn't sure if you knew about both ways to make it huge. :p

Roto13 said:
It doesn't do wicked weaves, but it does grow huge if you charge it up or when you use it in Climax mode (the state Bayonetta goes into when she fights bosses or equips the Climax Brace). I wasn't sure if you knew about both ways to make it huge. :p
I knew about the charging but not the climax mode. Thanks for answering!

Jintor

I FINALLY BEAT RODIN!

And without resorting to cheapass climax bracelet + laser sword shennanigans. Just had to chip him to death with Scarborough Fair + Bazillions, avoid everything, and Tetsuzanko at every available opportunity.

I thought I was dead when he was on a slither of yellow life bar and he caught me in a rape hand, but Bayonetta twirled back up after it and I immediately Tetsuzanko'd him to death! So good. I've been working on this constantly for two weeks now, haha.

Jintor said:
I FINALLY BEAT RODIN!

And without resorting to cheapass climax bracelet + laser sword shennanigans. Just had to chip him to death with Scarborough Fair + Bazillions, avoid everything, and Tetsuzanko at every available opportunity.

I thought I was dead when he was on a slither of yellow life bar and he caught me in a rape hand, but Bayonetta twirled back up after it and I immediately Tetsuzanko'd him to death! So good. I've been working on this constantly for two weeks now, haha.

Congrats ! That's an awesome feat.

Jintor

I was certain his rape hand was an insta-kill though, I had always reset when he caught me previously... I was just watching it because I had gotten him so low and I was like "I'll at least watch this bit" and then B just does her breakdance kick and twirls to her feet!

I have played through Chapter 9. This game is really fun. I quite enjoy the dodge mechanic.

Foolishly I avoided the gates of hell for like the first 7 chapters, but I guess using the default moveset and weapons is pretty hardcore.

MjFrancis

Alfheim #12 has stumped me for the moment. I was going through and making sure I got all the collectibles, though I'm sure I've missed some of Antonio's notes. Maybe so, maybe not. Anyways, I was just flying through these Alfheim challenges until I hit that one. What sucks is twice I got all 5/5 torture attacks required, but still succumbed to my foes. Grr. I'll have to try again soon.

Rodin sounds like an amazing boss. I might have to secure one of these halo farming methods to give him a try. I've got 450,000 halos with 1 1/3 playthroughs and the shop is tapped out for me.

Jintor

Now I've got to hunt for that FINAL witch tomb I'm missing and I'll 100% achievements

...but even after that I've got to hunt for the Tears of Blood on every difficulty and then finish Angel Slayer :<

#firstworldproblems

What a fucking fantastic game though.

Roto13

With my broken PS3 losing all of my save data, I'm going to have to play through everything again to unlock everything.

At least it's the greatest game of its kind. :p

MjFrancis

Curufinwe said:
Use the Gaze of Despair. Trying to beat the Out of Body Alfheim Portals without using it is a recipe for going insane.
Thanks, I was actually using the Gaze of Despair, but my problem was keeping it on for the duration of the fight. I used it to get 03/05 torture kills on the first three angels, but then the stingray angels would have these combos that came out of nowhere and zapped me 1-2 times, leaving me precariously on the edge for the final two waves. I take it off after the first three torture kills.

But, four more tries, I beat it. One more saw me short a torture kill, and another I was actually up TWO torture kills but bit it when the final angel had a sliver of health. That was frustrating!

But, I've continued the level, and using a torture kill on Joy always brings a smile to my face.

And, thanks again for the tips. We all know I need them!

G17

MjFrancis said:
Thanks, I was actually using the Gaze of Despair, but my problem was keeping it on for the duration of the fight. I used it to get 03/05 torture kills on the first three angels, but then the stingray angels would have these combos that came out of nowhere and zapped me 1-2 times, leaving me precariously on the edge for the final two waves. I take it off after the first three torture kills.

But, four more tries, I beat it. One more saw me short a torture kill, and another I was actually up TWO torture kills but bit it when the final angel had a sliver of health. That was frustrating!

But, I've continued the level, and using a torture kill on Joy always brings a smile to my face.

And, thanks again for the tips. We all know I need them!

I beat that Alfheim a week ago, the general strategy is to equip the scarborough fair on both hands (your hair) and feet so that you can build up your magic gauge quickly, for the sting rays I just used the whip and pressing by pressing and holding y to damage and jump atop of the string rays without getting hit, then go back to the scarborough fair for the rest till you get the required torture attacks (your hair for quick punches).

Then once you have all the required torture attacks just go pillow talk or whatever fast damage inducing weapons you are comfortable with to beat the waves before the time limit is up.

Note: The move where you jump then immediate press kick to launch you and your enemy in the air is very useful (but not mandatory as I did it without it) with the scarborough fair on both hands with feet so that you can build up your magic gauge in the air and out of reach of angels that are on the ground in the early stages.

Good luck!

Jintor

Red Hot Kick is one of the most useful moves for isolating an enemy, especially the armoured Affinities with the swords.

Scum

I suck at this. I had fun on Normal. Just about managed through Hard on my 1st play through. I'm completely piss poor on attempting for Platinum medals on Normal and I've just had an epic failure on trying out Non Stop Climax.

Anyone got any tips for me as I try to attempt to get Platinum on Normal?? :lol

Scum said:
I suck at this. I had fun on Normal. Just about managed through Hard on my 1st play through. I'm completely piss poor on attempting for Platinum medals on Normal and I've just had an epic failure on trying out Non Stop Climax.

Don't worry too much about getting plats on normal, just keep trying to improve yourself. Learn how the weapons work, get a feel for enemies, check out more alfheims, buy some abilities and accessories, etc. If you're still having trouble go check out some vids on youtube or guides. While the official guide is nice, you can also check out my free one here.

G17

Scum said:

Make sure you equip the rosary bead accessory for Non Stop Climax. It will cause an explosion in place of witch time at the location of you last second dodge. As for platinum, I recommend going through all the alfheims first it will make you learn the ins and outs of the game and great little tips to perfect your game.

Yes yes yes yeeeeeessss

NSIC beaten!!

Beautiful! Truly magical! :D 61 pure gameplay hours on this save, god knows how many overall.

As soon as I transfer the pics from my camera I'm tweeting Kamiya, lol

And it's my first PS3 platinum trophy... so fitting. FUCK YEAH

FireCloud

Just completed my first play through on Normal. What an incredible ride that was!

According to the statue rewards I earned for each level, I didn't do very well but I enjoyed playing just the same. I'm tempted to give it another go but my backlog is staring at me. At least I can mark this game off of that backlog (I usually just play to complete the story, seldom do I try for 100%).

I played on the PS3 (with the HDD install) and think if anyone with a PS3 is on the fence on whether to give it a try, I'd say yes. I realize that this game is probably not for everyone though. While I enjoyed its quirkiness I imagine some folks may be put off by it. It clicked with me. Heck, I even enjoyed the cut scenes that so many have complained about.

I also love the perks for finishing the game.
Took a browse through the gallery and enjoyed the artwork, models, and the dance video. Though I wish the pole dance video that played during the ending credits was there!

At the very end, what was
that thing that I had to steer into the sun? Was that Jubileus? It looked like an Umbrian Witch.
There was just so much going on at the end that I didn't follow that part.

Edit: Almost forgot. As a big Heavenly Sword and Folklore fan, Bayonetta has just earned a place with Nariko, Kai, and Ellen. My love for those other games may explain why I enjoyed Bayonetta's quirkiness as well.

MjFrancis

I have about a half-dozen other games I would like to play about now, but I can't seem to put this one down, lol. First I'm playing through grabbing every treasure and playing the Alfheims, and before I'm even done with that I start a Very Easy game because I want to beat it in under 3 hours. I was under 4 hours in Normal, but I didn't want to play each level on Normal two additional times so I could get a speed run in + grab all the treasures and Alfheims. It just seems easier this way. Oh, I'm also trying to grind for halos on level seven, but aside from the final form I can't string my combos too well.

Despite all it's faults, the game mechanics seem solid for the casual animu fan who want to watch cutscenes and mow through enemies ala Dynasty Warriors on Very Easy. I can also imagine how crazy it will be in Non Stop Climax Mode without Witch Time.

Bayonetta begs to be replayed. I can't stop, I'll need someone else to remove it from my 360's disc drive, lol!

I'm working on getting the
nunchuks
at the moment. One of most replayable games ever.

I love the character Bayonetta so much, as if you couldn't tell by my avatar lol. Bought the official guide from Future Press a while back and have yet to open it up, it's still in its original packaging. Also looking to buy the Play Arts figure but it's sold out and don't want to pay more than $100 for one. Bayonetta is just so damn sexay!

it's great to see people still playing and commenting on the best executed game of the generation

you have the guide you lucky bastard.... that has so much incredibly useful information. all i have is a poster on my wall.

i bought the vanquish guide immediately after realizing how valuable and awesome the futurepress guides are.

Jintor

Urgh, I think I'm burned out on Angel Slayer. The stress of not getting hit at all or farming health back via taunts is way too frustrating and breaks the flow.

Curufinwe

To get Sai Fung I'm playing the Prologue over and over, but I'm not updating because because I don't want to replace my Pure Platinum grade for that chapter with a crappy Gold grade I got from rushing thru as fast as possible.

Am I still going to get credit for 100 chapters if I don't Update?

Curufinwe said:
To get Sai Fung I'm playing the Prologue over and over, but I'm not updating because because I don't want to replace my Pure Platinum grade for that chapter with a crappy Gold grade I got from rushing thru as fast as possible.

Am I still going to get credit for 100 chapters if I don't Update?

Yes, that's how I did it as well.

Curufinwe

Thanks. Guess I'll keep plugging away at the Prologue then. You'd think after 72 hours I would have managed to complete 100 chapters already.

MjFrancis

I beat Very Easy in 2:05:01. It's... very easy.

:p

Back to the Alfheims and halo grinding for me!

*edit*

It only unlocked the Immortal Marionette... I was hoping to get the other item as well. Whatever the one you get for beating the game in under three hours. I guess it would be too lenient if they allowed such a thing in very easy mode.

Anteater

Jintor said:
Urgh, I think I'm burned out on Angel Slayer. The stress of not getting hit at all or farming health back via taunts is way too frustrating and breaks the flow.

Yea I stopped playing that mode after 2-3 times, it takes me over an hour to get to the end of it if I count the time right.

Jintor

I would play a mode that was just a combat generator, that just increasingly generated wave after wave of randomised enemies until you died.

Curufinwe

EteRnal_PAL said:
Make sure you are playing on Normal or higher.

Yup, I'm playing on Normal. The only time I've only played a chapter on Easy was when I needed to get the Fire The Afterburners Achievement.

Curufinwe

I got the Sai Fong, tonight and now I want the Bracelet of Time, but I'm don't want to lose all my grades for the Normal chapters.

I had been working on them, trying to get them all up to at least Platinum, but if I go thru Normal difficulty again as fast as possible and Update I'll be back down to Bronzes.

Koralsky

Koralsky said:
Well, I know this is just rumors without any real source, but the guy who posted is Japanese and most of the stuff from his post sounds (almost) legit.

On topic:

"- Sega is developing Bayonetta 2 and also a CG movie for cinemas will be announced together;"

Whole post, full of TGS11 rumors, here.

I know that this is not strictly connected with Bayo, but one of the rumor from the link above is happen to be (almost) true:

So, on 23 July the rumors say: "Shining Blade is supposed to be the official title for the next Shining series game. Developed for PSP, announce coming in October, release date stated to be next year February or March. Shining Hearts characters on Valkyria Chronicles system."

And than on 16 August we have this news - "Next Shining Series Game Is Shining Blade?"

Well, TGS is just a month away so than we'll see if there's any more truth in Bayo 2 rumors...

TreIII

Confirmation of Bayo 2 and that it would only do more to surpass the first game (or at least, have a quality PS3 port at 60FPS), would certainly be nice to see. Especially given how several other champions of the stylish action genre are going down *ahem* "interesting tangents" that I don't care for in the least.

There's basically two things that would make my TGS this year.

1) Bayonetta 2
2) Gundam Extreme Vs. PS3 port announcement (via the tournament event that's scheduled to occur at/around TGS)

I get at least ONE of those to pass and I'll be happy. Get both? My decade will be made! :lol

MjFrancis

I've gone through all the levels on Hard to Chapter XII, and that includes getting the chests and Alfheims. I don't know how well I've been collecting the Notes, I haven't found any so I may have got most of them the first time around. The Alfheims after 12 have been smooth sailing even though they get a bit more difficult simply because the challenges are all the same, for the most part. I even beat the out of body one on the first try. Once you know the trick to staying in the air, I can do it all day.

The missions are even getting a little easier now that I've played everything multiple times, even on Hard. I'm discovering new tactics for different enemies all the time, and battles that were once seemingly impossible peaks to pass are now walks in the park. There's still a good bit of challenge, and I am not looking forward to the final boss, but Hard mode is very doable.

Infinite Climax mode is going to require some of these items I haven't farmed for yet. I'm up to 4.5 million halos since I don't spend them on anything. I'll probably need that Climax Bracelet if I tackle the last difficulty mode, and my wonderful stock of items I rarely use.

I have something like 19 Mega Yellow Moon Lollipops. I can us those for Infinite Climax mode, right? I'm going to need them when they take my Witch Time away!!! The fights without Witch Time are without a doubt the most difficult.

Jintor

MjFrancis said:
I can us those for Infinite Climax mode, right? I'm going to need them when they take my Witch Time away!!! The fights without Witch Time are without a doubt the most difficult.

It's not really that fights without Witch Time are difficult. It's just that Gracious and Glorious are total fucking bitches. They dodge about 60% of your Wicked Weaves naturally and can dodge-cancel out of most of their own combos too. Your best (but most boring) bet is to load up your shotguns + bazillions, since the shottys stun for a second and the bazillions deal damage like mad, and go to town.

Roto13

I think there's a good chance Bayonetta 2 will actually lead on the PS3, now that Platinum has staff that knows what they're doing with it. (Keep in mind that Bayonetta was one of their first games, and their first PS360 game.)

Either way, Kamiya has expressed that he's sorry for the way the PS3 version turned out so you can expect more parity next time.

jett

D-Member
Roto13 said:
I think there's a good chance Bayonetta 2 will actually lead on the PS3, now that Platinum has staff that knows what they're doing with it. (Keep in mind that Bayonetta was one of their first games, and their first PS360 game.)

Either way, Kamiya has expressed that he's sorry for the way the PS3 version turned out so you can expect more parity next time.

Kamiya is busy with Metal Gear Rising, though.

lol

TreIII

Roto13 said:

More than that, the fact that the PS3 version outsold the 360 version even in SPITE of that, would likely be enough reason for Sega and P* to place priority on making sure the right pieces are put in place.

jett said:
Kamiya is busy with Metal Gear Rising, though.

Nah, see, I heard he's making a new Shinobi! :lol

sleepykyo

TreIII said:
More than that, the fact that the PS3 version outsold the 360 version even in SPITE of that, would likely be enough reason for Sega and P* to place priority on making sure the right pieces are put in place.

Or they could take it to mean it was good enough as is.

TreIII

sleepykyo said:
Or they could take it to mean it was good enough as is.

Not likely, if Kamiya is to be believed. As alluded to above, he and JP both had to field remarks (re: complaints) about the PS3 version, from Japanese and English-speakers alike. And then promised to do better "next time".

So, unless that was just a bunch of twitter lip-service...

MjFrancis

Curufinwe said:
Thanks, I will be sure to equip that once I'm willing to tackle an Infinite Climax playthrough.

Jintor said:
It's not really that fights without Witch Time are difficult. It's just that Gracious and Glorious are total fucking bitches. They dodge about 60% of your Wicked Weaves naturally and can dodge-cancel out of most of their own combos too. Your best (but most boring) bet is to load up your shotguns + bazillions, since the shottys stun for a second and the bazillions deal damage like mad, and go to town.
Thanks for the tips, and yeah - Gracious and Glorious are the exact bastards I had in mind when I wrote that the absence of Witch Time make the game so much harder. I rely so heavily on Witch Time - I usually equip the Gaze of Despair anyways just so I can connect more dodges more frequently. I probably spend a quarter of the game in Witch Time!

---

And thanks for letting me know that I won't be able to use my Mega Yellow Moon Lollipops on Infinite Climax, mjemirzian. I have enough of those to simply float through the rest of Hard mode now! I might not want to use them so liberally, though. It'll just make me soft for the final difficulty level.

MjFrancis said:
The missions are even getting a little easier now that I've played everything multiple times, even on Hard. I'm discovering new tactics for different enemies all the time, and battles that were once seemingly impossible peaks to pass are now walks in the park. There's still a good bit of challenge, and I am not looking forward to the final boss, but Hard mode is very doable.

The greatness of Bayonetta. It seems difficult as first, but the more you play and the more you learn about the combat system, the "easier" it becomes despite also being more difficult. Mmmm this game.

ominator

Neo Member
so i beat it on normal. now i'm playing it on hard. is there a significant difference, like extra enemies like in ninja gaiden black?

ezekial45

Banned
ominator said:
so i beat it on normal. now i'm playing it on hard. is there a significant difference, like extra enemies like in ninja gaiden black?

That, and the tougher enemies appear much earlier. Also, enemies attack take up more health.

Top Bottom