• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Anteater

subversus said:
I want to play this so much but I have no 360 yet. It's really tempting to dump some funds in 360 instead of vacation but I must be wiser.

Or you could just play it with sub 30fps on the ps3! /trollface
That's assuming you do have a ps3.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Anteater said:
Or you could just play it with sub 30fps on the ps3! /trollface
That's assuming you do have a ps3.

yes, I have PS3. Bayonetta is 360 exclusive to me.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
subversus said:

Even the PS3 version is worth 10 bucks and I'm sure you could find it for that. Then if you ever get a 360, you could buy the 360 version for another 10 bucks.

subversus

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Even the PS3 version is worth 10 bucks and I'm sure you could find it for that. Then if you ever get a 360, you could buy the 360 version for another 10 bucks.

I want to experience the game at its best.

subversus said:
I want to experience the game at its best.

I double dipped and I'm currently playing the PS3 version. Save from a few spots where drops in framerate are really noticeable it's fine. Then again I'm not particularly sensitive to framerate issues. Then again Bayonetta on PS3 >>>>> no Bayonetta.

duffyside said:
Edit: Oh, those dudes with the claws are fucking me up bad. They move fast and have one attack that puts you at a dead stop in the air as they rip away like over half your health, and it doesn't seem to me I can dodge out of it. Any tips for those bastards? Not that I'm stuck on them, it's just I got to a place a littler earlier where there were two sets of them on a staircase immediately after each other and I barely scraped by. First time I had to use an item all game.

It's very hard to dodge (maybe even impossible) but with the Moon-of-Mahala Kalaa you can parry mid-air and are no longer stuck in their combo.

Jintor

duffyside said:
And thanks for the tips. I guess I'll have to nab that bat upgrade. I wasn't sure I was going to get it as the timing is super-precise, but if that's the only option to avoid that air-rape, I'm in.

Well the optimum response is to not get hit by the uppercut. :p

linko9

Wow, fancy seeing this here, I just started this game yesterday. It's amazing; I'm really enjoying it, and I couldn't stand DMC!! I'm terrible at these sorts of action games, which really makes me mad, because I really want to be good at them, maybe this will be the game that finally forces me to become decent. Anyway, i'm starting to get the hang of the combat, and I've moved beyond the button mashing phase, so that's progress. But the game is incredibly fun, and has a great aesthetic, I can't wait to go back and replay these stages over and over.

Anteater

linko9 said:
Wow, fancy seeing this here, I just started this game yesterday. It's amazing; I'm really enjoying it, and I couldn't stand DMC!! I'm terrible at these sorts of action games, which really makes me mad, because I really want to be good at them, maybe this will be the game that finally forces me to become decent. Anyway, i'm starting to get the hang of the combat, and I've moved beyond the button mashing phase, so that's progress. But the game is incredibly fun, and has a great aesthetic, I can't wait to go back and replay these stages over and over.

Yea I feel that Bayonetta is a lot more accessible than dmc/ng games, good to see you're enjoying it.

Every time I see this thread's been bumped I skip a beat thinking there might be Bayo2 news. :(

Then again I'm sure that would warrant a new thread altogether... but still!

Duffyside

Banned
BaronLundi said:
I double dipped and I'm currently playing the PS3 version. Save from a few spots where drops in framerate are really noticeable it's fine. Then again I'm not particularly sensitive to framerate issues. Then again Bayonetta on PS3 >>>>> no Bayonetta.
I haven't played the PS3 version other than the demo, so maybe after some patches (?) it's totally good now, but when I played the hell out of both demos it wasn't the framerate that I noticed so much as the total dullness of color.

The color in Bayonetta is outstanding, and the blacks are so freaking deep and vibrant because of it in a way I've never seen anything else—movie or game—on my TV. The reds and purples pop off the screen and the game is just a joy to look at. That's what sold me on the 360 version. Though I am enjoying the game so much right now (until I got to the freeway, to which I say "nyeah") I might get the PS3 version too, not only to support Platinum and Bayonetta, but to chase that delicious platinum trophy.

Roto13

subversus said:
Unless you're overly anal about framerates, the PS3 version of Bayonetta is still the best action game you'll ever play if you don't play the 360 version.

subversus

Roto13 said:
Unless you're overly anal about framerates, the PS3 version of Bayonetta is still the best action game you'll ever play if you don't play the 360 version.

I'm super anal about framerates, resolutions, AF and AA.

linko9

Hey, I've been playing this quite a bit, and have a couple questions. I've heard that on the PS3 version, your combos are calculated incorrectly, and you actually end up getting much smaller combos than you would on the 360, can anyone confirm this? If so that sucks. Also, does anyone know of any Superplay videos for this game? I can't seem to find any on the google.

Curufinwe

I deleted my install to play it off the disc but didn't notice much difference. All the tearing in the early chapters was still there, and then I got a disc read error even though I have installed every game I own on my 12 month old Xbox 360 so the Disc drive has barely been used. It read the disc fine after a restart, but I'm going to reinstall next time I play Bayonetta.

Duffyside

Banned
linko9 said:
Hey, I've been playing this quite a bit, and have a couple questions. I've heard that on the PS3 version, your combos are calculated incorrectly, and you actually end up getting much smaller combos than you would on the 360, can anyone confirm this? If so that sucks. Also, does anyone know of any Superplay videos for this game? I can't seem to find any on the google.
Pffft, no kidding on that last part. The real "worst thing to happen in gaming" is the total lack of good HD videos of this game (and VANQUISH) on youtube. Complete shame.

Duffyside

Banned
Did anyone see that quote from way back where Cliff Bleszinski said the one game he wished he could attach his name to was Bayonetta? Did he expand on that at all? Trying to find something, but all I see is the twitter quote and that's it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
how many more weeks is Kamiya going to troll us about Bayo 2 "in magazines this week". why is he doing this... it hurts...

Anteater

duffyside said:
Did anyone see that quote from way back where Cliff Bleszinski said the one game he wished he could attach his name to was Bayonetta? Did he expand on that at all? Trying to find something, but all I see is the twitter quote and that's it.

Think it was just a question on twitter

Question: If you could attach your name to any game in history, which game do you wish you made?
Answer: Bayonetta.

Duffyside

Banned

linko9

mjemirzian said:
I'd guess you're just not looking hard enough.

Ummmm.... is this in reference to not being able to find HD superplays of this game? If you know of some, please share, instead of throwing out a thinly-veiled insult.

Been on a bit of a Space Channel 5 kick recently and sent Mr. Kamiya this request:

baylala.jpg

Guess the dudes at Platinum wanted to get an Ulala outfit in the first game but were turned down. Big up to them for thinking of her, boo to Sega for not allowing it.

NinjaBoiX

BaronLundi said:
I don't get this. So you played on 360, enjoyed it, but rather than play it again, you decided to go and buy an inferior version and play that instead?

Does not compute.

-NinjaBoiX- said:
I don't get this. So you played on 360, enjoyed it, but rather than play it again, you decided to go and buy an inferior version and play that instead?

Does not compute.

I'm one of those oddballs who vastly prefer the DS3 to the X360 controller. And I wanted to get back to the game to get better at it. And I did. That's about it.

Had I known for sure that there were reliable ways to plug a DS3 to an X360 I'd have done just that.

Box of Bunnies said:
Been on a bit of a Space Channel 5 kick recently and sent Mr. Kamiya this request:

baylala.jpg

Guess the dudes at Platinum wanted to get an Ulala outfit in the first game but were turned down. Big up to them for thinking of her, boo to Sega for not allowing it.
Heh, that really sucks if true. Hatsune Miku gets an Ulala outfit but Bayo doesn't? :(

Roto13 said:
I guess they just don't want to have Ulala associated with a game like Bayonetta. She's kind of wholesome. :p

Yeah, I can kinda understand why they turned the idea down if it was for brand image reasons (though it's not like they use Ulala for much more than All-Stars appearances and cameos nowadays anyway), it's just a little disappointing because it's such a perfect fit otherwise.

Duffyside

Banned
I loved Bayonetta so much on the 360 I figured I'd double-dip and buy it for my preferred platform; see if it's tolerable enough to platinum.

I remember hearing something about the game being actually worse on PS3 if you install it? Am I remembering correctly? Wanted to make sure before I start playing and make a mistake. Anything else I should know about this yet-another-thing SEGA has ruined (Vanquish, Valkyria, Skies of Arcadia, Sonic, Phantasy Star)?

Roto13

duffyside said:
I loved Bayonetta so much on the 360 I figured I'd double-dip and buy it for my preferred platform; see if it's tolerable enough to platinum.

I remember hearing something about the game being actually worse on PS3 if you install it? Am I remembering correctly? Wanted to make sure before I start playing and make a mistake. Anything else I should know about this yet-another-thing SEGA has ruined (Vanquish, Valkyria, Skies of Arcadia, Sonic, Phantasy Star)?
Oh god no. Install that sucker. The load times are ridiculous without it.

sleepykyo

duffyside said:

You're thinking of the 360 version. The PS3 version is bad either way, but with the install at least you aren't dealing with load times on everything.

sleepykyo said:
You're thinking of the 360 version. The PS3 version is bad either way, but with the install at least you aren't dealing with load times on everything.

NO, it was the PS3 version that was supposedly worse, I would post several sources, but I'm out of town on vacation and doing this on my smartphone would be a chore. But I can recall it was mentioned not only on several gaming sites, but also in this very forum. Anyway, I still pop this game in from time to time, and hoping Bayonetta makes a cameo in Anarchy Reigns. The only Platinum title I have not played in is MadWorld and I should really break the shrink-wrap on it before Anarchy Reigns is released. But I digress.....

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Apharmd Battler said:
NO, it was the PS3 version that was supposedly worse, I would post several sources, but I'm out of town on vacation and doing this on my smartphone would be a chore. But I can recall it was mentioned not only on several gaming sites, but also in this very forum. Anyway, I still pop this game in from time to time, and hoping Bayonetta makes a cameo in Anarchy Reigns. The only Platinum title I have not played in is MadWorld and I should really break the shrink-wrap on it before Anarchy Reigns is released. But I digress.....

If you're talking about load times when installed vs not installed, you have no idea what you're talking about and everyone who says INSTALL IT ON PS3 FOR GOD'S SAKE! is correct.

If you misread everything and are telling us which version of the game is worse, you're goddamn right the PS3 version is worse.

BadWolf

Finished the game today, needless to say I was completely blown away. This is the most stylish and one of the best playing games I've played, I'd put it right up there with God hand in terms of awesomness.

The environments they created were amazing and the music went extremely well with it, loved the music overall all (as well as them picking Fly Me to the Moon as the main theme, one of my fave songs). Fighting while changing what you are standing on (walls etc) was quite the special feeling, especially during the last fight with Jeanne. The Jeanne fights were all fun as hell, don't think I've enjoyed mirrors fights this much since Jean VS Adel in God hand.

Loved the character designs, especially Bayonetta. The whole supermodel angle they went with her was such a great idea, especially the way it was pulled of (they incorporated it into her walk, moves, fights and cutscenes). Easily one of my most fave characters ever. Sepcial mention to the child version, kids aren't usually done well in games but they did great with her.

The gameplay was really tight, Devil May Cry but much better. Weapons were all good and fun, I expected lots of them (like a sword, guns, something Beowulf like etc) but didn't expect to end up fighting as an ice skating samurai sword user thhat can freeze enemies. The skates were a nice surprise, really liked how they animated her with them on. All the weaves and hair attacks were so memorable and badass, very unique idea.

Witch time felt like a great reward for dodging right, though in normal I did find the dodge pretty abusable.

I finished it on PS3 and didn't find the sklowdown distracting, I actually compleletly forgot to pay attention to the issue once I started playing it because of all the awesome lol.

I foresee countless replays of this gem in my future.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So what are the best halo farming methods?

I started a new game on PS3 the other day simply for trophies. On 360 I was able to purchase most items just by playing, but I don't think I want to spend another 60+ hours with the game again at this point so I'm looking for quick and easy unlocks.

Farming Temperentia seems like the easiest one I've encountered so far, but I'm curious if there's anything that yields a bigger gain

Alx

Temperantia is my favourite for farming too, since it can get you a decent amount of halos in a short time (on youtube videos, you can see people getting huge amounts of money from the dragon in the beginning, but you have to go through the first level each time). With the aggro-boosting item and using the panther transform to keep the combos count, it's a good source of income.
Another alternative is Lustitia, if you need a change.
Of course there is also the "killgore glitch" if you want to rake the halos agains any boss.

Top Bottom