• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

hulot

vermadas said:
On topic, I finally played the demo for this game despite it having been released a few weeks ago. I became an action game fan with Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox and I greatly prefer the gameplay of the NG series over DMC and GoWar. To be fair though, my experience with DMC is limited to DMC4, which I understand to be a flawed game in comparison to DMC3. My issue with DMC is that the enemies are punching bags for the most part, and I don't get a lot of enjoyment trying to chain elaborate combos for style points. My fun in these games seems to be derived from dispatching highly lethal enemies where a few wrong moves could lead to my demise.

Given all of that, I was somewhat hesitant to join the love-in for Bayonetta. After playing the demo though, I'm sold. The game does emphasize offensive style but I feel like the combos "flow" better than in DMC4. And the enemies already seem to be more interesting opponents than those I fought in DMC. I also really really like the witch time mechanic. I prefer to ignore the ridiculous cringe-worthy stories prevalent in these games and Bayonetta is no exception. But at least this game doesn't seem like it takes itself seriously. The background music is truly atrocious though. I usually don't play custom soundtracks in games (Burnout Paradise and some arcade games like N+ being the exceptions) but I might have to for Bayonetta.
That's because 3 and 4 were not made by Kamiya. I highly recommend you try out the first DMC, even after Bayonetta. The bolded is exactly where every sequel DMC suffered. Enemy variety, sense of power and control, etc. just weren't there; both 3 and 4 offered more offensive options but nothing to really use them on. This, in addition to becoming a bit too absurd, especially 3 where it felt less tongue-in-cheek and more simply embarrassing.

vermadas said:
myphone.gif
I wouldn't mind seeing her 'barely covered by her hair'.

Novid

Banned
Dr.Acula said:
Her posture and gait make her look like a drag queen.

umm, if she didnt she would be called one regardless. has anybody seen Dizzy from GG? same idea but the some in the GG fanbase went *** for Bridget...

ZeMMiK

Finally it is out in The Netherlands.!! (Eplaza)
Suprised about the amount of cutscenes and items you can buy etc.

playing it on easy 1st....but tonight is is oud&nieuw :)

TheOddOne

ZeMMiK said:
Finally it is out in The Netherlands.!! (Eplaza)
Suprised about the amount of cutscenes and items you can buy etc.

playing it on easy 1st....but tonight is is oud&nieuw :)
Lucky Basterd.

Ik moet wachten tot maandag :*(
Gelukkig nieuwjaar btw!

In Sega's madness to escape the apparently huge Modern Warfare/Japanese beat 'em up crossover market, they've basically ensured people who legitimately want the game have to wait longer than people who stumble across it. :|

Novid

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
In Sega's madness to escape the apparently huge Modern Warfare/Japanese beat 'em up crossover market, they've basically ensured people who legitimately want the game have to wait longer than people who stumble across it. :|

thats one of the reasons why Capcom delayed most of there games to April didnt want most of there games get lost in the shuffle.

Tabs

Beat it last night.
hours on Normal. Trying to figure out what order I want to do my next playthroughs in, difficulty, medals, acievements, etc.

I'm a little confused by the story.
Who was Bayonetta's mother? Some random Umbra Witch? Why does young Cereza call old Cereza (Bayonetta) mommy? Does the young girl actually exist? What did Jeanne want all along and why did she change her mind at the end?

edit: Oh and any suggestions on accesories to wear?

Trav said:
I'm a little confused by the story.
Who was Bayonetta's mother? Some random Umbra Witch? Why does young Cereza call old Cereza (Bayonetta) mommy? Does the young girl actually exist? What did Jeanne want all along and why did she change her mind at the end?

Yep, some random witch. Cereza calls Bayonetta her mom because they resemble eachother. Yes she's real. Jeanne was being mind controlled by Balder(see his mention of "reprogramming" her), after the fight with Bayonetta the mind control broke.

TreIII

Trav said:

Here's what I could gather....

I can only guess that Bayonetta/Grown-Ass Woman!Cereza looks so much like her mother, that lil Cereza didn't recognize the difference.

Lil Cereza was snatched away, out of her proper place in time by Balder. When Bayo defeated Balder, she put Cereza back in her proper place, so that she could live out the life she was meant to (and make it so Bayonetta would eventually exist).

As for Jeanne? Balder said that she was under mind control of some sort (albeit it didn't seem to be that good, since she still did anything she wanted to do). My guess is, the more she interacted with Bayonetta, the more she seemed to regain her sense of self. And in the end, she was more willing to DESTROY Bayonetta, in some wacked out way of honoring their friendship/bond, if it meant that the "Left Eye, their PRECIOUS LEFT EYE would not fall into the hands of another".

Any way...Bayonetta, in the end, makes about as much in the way of sense as Kamiya's other stories. You sit back and enjoy the ride
and then some day, hope for a sequel from him
! :lol

andymcc

Banned
goddamnit, i really wish some fucking bonehead at a store close to me broke the street date.

with this many people that already have it, why oh why doesn't sega just give the go-ahead to sell it already. most gamestops already have it in stock, all of the big retailers have it, just let it go sega, let it go. :lol

i remember whenever the N64 launched, Nintendo released it earlier than street date because Wal-Marts or some other chain put them out early. i just want to buy your game, sega. :lol

andymcc said:
goddamnit, i really wish some fucking bonehead at a store close to me broke the street date.

with this many people that already have it, why oh why doesn't sega just give the go-ahead to sell it already. most gamestops already have it in stock, all of the big retailers have it, just let it go sega, let it go. :lol

i remember whenever the N64 launched, Nintendo released it earlier than street date because Wal-Marts or some other chain put them out early. i just want to buy your game, sega. :lol

same here, ran into a target that was sold out and a walmart that wouldn't sell it. :(
Anyone in Atlanta know a store that broke street date?

andymcc

Banned
Toonami 99 said:
same here, ran into a target that was sold out and a walmart that wouldn't sell it. :(

it seems best buy and mom and pop stores are your best and only bets.

newsguy

_dementia said:
Miami GAF, the Best Buy on Kendall has this on sale early. Both systems.
Go Go GO!

Know something funny, I had a gift card and was at that store just yesterday. I walk by the aisle and see like 50 cases for this game and I'm thinking "I thought this said Jan. 5th on the GAF thread."

Toonami 99 said:
A friend told about the Best Buy in Kennesaw selling it early, but I haven't gone to check it out for myself. When I called they told me it wasn't releasing til the 5th, but you never know.

Flipside

How hardcore is this game? I played the demo on the normal setting and I found myself dying several times on the clock level. When I tried the game on easy I saw a lot more of the game (and it looked pretty awesome) but it felt like I wasn't actually playing the game...everything just died by pressing Y.

So how doable is this game for somebody who isn't really hardcore at these games? (to give an impression, I finished Ninja Gaiden II on normal (which I thought was hard) and I also finished DMC4, which I thought was more boring than hard).

Looks like a real cool game but I need to know if it's a game for me since there is so much coming out in the upcoming months.

Don't sweat the clock tower level, it's not "really" in the game. How did you fair in the rest of the demo? If you could handle NG2 on normal I wouldn't expect you to have too much trouble with this, honestly.

ATTN MONTREAL GAFFERS, GAMEBUZZ DOWNTOWN IS TOTALLY SELLING THIS SHIT, BUT I AM PROBABLY TOO LATE GETTING HOME FOR YALL TO GET IT. SORRY

I managed to score 3 copies though. Sweet! Still time for it to be game of the decade! :lol

Fugu

Snapshot King said:
ATTN MONTREAL GAFFERS, GAMEBUZZ DOWNTOWN IS TOTALLY SELLING THIS SHIT, BUT I AM PROBABLY TOO LATE GETTING HOME FOR YALL TO GET IT. SORRY

I managed to score 3 copies though. Sweet! Still time for it to be game of the decade! :lol
Yeah, they have copies of the PS3 version as of today.

Count me in as one of the people who does not at all understand the plot after beating the game three times now.

Fugu said:
Yeah, they have copies of the PS3 version as of today.

Count me in as one of the people who does not at all understand the plot after beating the game three times now.

Actually I bought 360 copies. But is the story really that nonsensical? Awesome =D

Kolgar

This game is kicking my ass. I'm playing on Normal and I admit, I'm no pro at these types of games. I played and finished the original DMC in a single day, way back when, but since then, I haven't played much of these things.

So I guess the trick is to utilize Witch Time, like, as much as humanly possible? I'm not big on move memorization so I'm unlikely to pull off amazing combos, and these creatures in Chapter 5 sometimes take two-thirds or even all of my health bar in a single furious spaz attack.

Also, any tips on concoctions? Thanks and happy New Year!

Kolgar said:
This game is kicking my ass. I'm playing on Normal and I admit, I'm no pro at these types of games. I played and finished the original DMC in a single day, way back when, but since then, I haven't played much of these things.

So I guess the trick is to utilize Witch Time, like, as much as humanly possible? I'm not big on move memorization so I'm unlikely to pull off amazing combos, and these creatures in Chapter 5 sometimes take two-thirds or even all of my health bar in a single furious spaz attack.

There's an accessory that activates witch time when you get hit, get it if you can.

NIN90

Kolgar said:

My bread and butter combos:
P K P
and
P P K K K (only use this one if you are familiar with the cancelling technique)

I'm sure you guys already know this, but you can use the 'storing combos in dodges' trick with beast within, which gives you a much longer range than just 5 dodges.

Ninja_Hawk said:
A friend told about the Best Buy in Kennesaw selling it early, but I haven't gone to check it out for myself. When I called they told me it wasn't releasing til the 5th, but you never know.

I checked no luck, I am calling it quits for now. Its only a few more days anyway.

Oh before I forget for those who own it is there an option to customize the controls?
I dont like the default lockon and dodge setup.

NIN90

.:Wesker:. said:
I'm sure you guys already know this, but you can use the 'storing combos in dodges' trick with beast within, which gives you a much longer range than just 5 dodges.

Crazy :lol

.:Wesker:. said:
Are you talking about using Beast Within transformations for dodge offsets? I've got to try that.

Top Bottom