• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

jvalioli

Trying to avoid stuff about this game before release but I just saw the commercial on TV. It uses La Roux's In the for Kill, nice. :D

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
.:Wesker:. said:
You're about half way.
Less than that. The achievements make you think there's only like 14 chapters but there's a decent bit more.

jvalioli said:
Trying to avoid stuff about this game before release but I just saw the commercial on TV. It uses La Roux's In the for Kill, nice. :D
Oh thank God Sega's actually advertising this. What channel?

Also, anyone know of any places in NYC that have broken street date in case I decide I cannot wait until Tuesday or Wednesday?

Dance In My Blood said:
Less than that. The achievements make you think there's only like 14 chapters but there's a decent bit more.
Yeah, there's 16 chapters, plus the prologue and epilogue (18) and the falling clocktower level (19).

Being done with 7 (which could be called the 9th chapter) puts you about halfway like I said.

jvalioli

I AM JOHN! said:
Oh thank God Sega's actually advertising this. What channel?

Also, anyone know of any places in NYC that have broken street date in case I decide I cannot wait until Tuesday or Wednesday?
SciFi(or whatever weird spelling they are using now) during the Twilight Zone marathon. Followed by a Book of Eli commercial actually. GAF representing.

jvalioli said:
SciFi(or whatever weird spelling they are using now) during the Twilight Zone marathon. Followed by a Book of Eli commercial actually. GAF representing.
Oh hell yes! Kind of makes me wish my parents didn't turn off the Twilight Zone marathon so I could've seen it (I bought them the entire series a Christmas or two ago, so don't you dare accuse me of sacrilege).

Good to see that Sega may not be as stupid as I usually think they are after all!

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I finished the second chapter and so far my feelings are mixed.

+ Fantastic style and presentation.
+ Interesting characters.
+ Huge variety of moves to unlock.
+ Can see the potential for good replay value, as the game seems to reward skillful play that you will not be doing the first time around.
+ Load times are minimal (playing with HD install on 360), and if there are some between transitions, they are cleverly hidden by the monster introductions.
+ Ton of cinematics, which are well-done. They add nicely to the high production value.

- Worst screen tearing I've seen in any game, during the 2nd chapter (in that Purgatory town).
- Cheap hits. If this is your first time, and you're playing on normal, expect to get hit a lot because you don't know where the attacks are coming from. Sometimes they're from enemies outside of your view or they're sudden enemy attacks that you would have no idea they are coming, so you're not trying to dodge.
- Tutorial seems bare bones and doesn't do a good job of teaching very well. I still have no idea what 2/3 of the items in concoction are or how to do magic, which seems like a major part of the game.
- When fighting big bosses, sometimes I can't see myself because of scale or the camera is in a bad place and I'm looking at the bosses leg, instead of myself. It's hard to tell what's going on.
- Hate the jazz music.

Couple questions for those who've played:

1) When I have a full magic meter, when fighting a boss, how can I use magic? I have no idea what to do to use the magic before I get hit. Is it certain combos, or do I need certain moves that I haven't unlocked yet? I haven't bought anything at the store, other a few health items, because everything is so expensive.

2) Are there unlimited continues? Is it worth buying health replenishing items if you can just continue until you make it past a battle?

3) Is there a move list outside of the loading screen? Since I'm playing off a hard drive install, my loads are 2-3 seconds, so it's not enough time to go through the moves shown onscreen. In particular, I'm interested in combos with the alt weapons like the shotgun or sword.

P.S. I'm in LA. Check the mom and pop stores.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Can't believe nobody in LA has found this early, or at least found it early and was willing to say so and where.

Well whatever, just a few more days now.

Torture attacks are magic, they can't be used on bosses.

They kill the basic angels(including applauds and their red counterparts) instantly and do major damage on higher tier enemies.

Some other things depend on magic but torture attacks are the main thing.

As for the lollipops: green heals, purple restores magic, red gives you higher attack power temporarily, and yellow makes you invincible temporarily.

Volcynika

Eggo said:
I finished the second chapter and so far my feelings are mixed.

+ Fantastic style and presentation.
+ Interesting characters.
+ Huge variety of moves to unlock.
+ Can see the potential for good replay value, as the game seems to reward skillful play that you will not be doing the first time around.
+ Load times are minimal (playing with HD install on 360), and if there are some between transitions, they are cleverly hidden by the monster introductions.
+ Ton of cinematics, which are well-done. They add nicely to the high production value.

- Worst screen tearing I've seen in any game, during the 2nd chapter (in that Purgatory town).
- Cheap hits. If this is your first time, and you're playing on normal, expect to get hit a lot because you don't know where the attacks are coming from. Sometimes they're from enemies outside of your view or they're sudden enemy attacks that you would have no idea they are coming, so you're not trying to dodge.
- Tutorial seems bare bones and doesn't do a good job of teaching very well. I still have no idea what 2/3 of the items in concoction are or how to do magic, which seems like a major part of the game.
- When fighting the big bosses, sometimes I can't see myself because of scale or the camera is in a bad place and I'm looking at the bosses leg, instead of myself.
- Hate the jazz music.

Couple questions for those who've played:

1) When I have a full magic meter, when fighting a boss, how can I use magic? I have no idea what to do to use the magic before I get hit. Is it certain combos, or do I need certain moves that I haven't unlocked yet? I haven't bought anything at the store, other a few health items, because everything is so expensive.

2) Are there unlimited continues? Is it worth buying health replenishing items if you can just continue until you make it past a battle?

3) Is there a move list outside of the loading screen? Since I'm playing off a hard drive install, my loads are 2-3 seconds, so it's not enough time to go through the moves shown onscreen. In particular, I'm interested in combos with the alt weapons like the shotgun or sword.

Cheap hits? No, there's a visual and audio indication of when enemies are attacking, just pay mind to that.

Questions

2) Dying gives you penalties on points, you can continue as much as you like, but you won't get a great score

3) Should be one of the books in your inventory, and you can also stop the game from going past the loading by hitting select or something and it'll just let you do whatever as long as you want.

jvalioli said:

heh r u a bayo virgin too? i've avoided all utube vids except the early footage. Can't wait to play it.

TreIII

Aljosa said:
Fly Me to the Moon (Climax Remix) is such a guilty pleasure.

This entire game's OST is awesome-sauce, in my eyes.

So far, of the two P* games I've played (MadWorld and Bayo), I've been pleased. Quite different sounds for games of their sort, and I couldn't be happier with the choices they made.

Quick question. For the portal kick and the witch twist, it says I can add a wicked kick or punch to the end while using magic. How do I actually do this?

EDIT: Personally I gotta say I dig the soundtrack and the overall aesthetics of everything. Only thing I'd knock against it is some pretty awful slowdown in the 2nd chapter, which is really weird as it only seems to happen in areas that you just explore, not fight. Oh well.

Snapshot King said:
Quick question. For the portal kick and the witch twist, it says I can add a wicked kick or punch to the end while using magic. How do I actually do this?

EDIT: Personally I gotta say I dig the soundtrack and the overall aesthetics of everything. Only thing I'd knock against it is some pretty awful slowdown in the 2nd chapter, which is really weird as it only seems to happen in areas that you just explore, not fight. Oh well.
It does this automatically, if you don't have any magic at all there won't be wicked weaves.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. LOVE the new commercial with La Roux!

Game is gonna be awesome.

Just completed all Alfheim Portals. Portal #12 can suck my ass. "Get 5 torture attacks and kill all enemies within the time limit." That doesn't sound so bad, right? I didn't think so either until I got 5 torture attacks and killed all the enemies only to find out that the torture attacks has to kill the enemy for it to count for this challenge.

Which challenge did you guys have the most trouble with?

Meier

Girlfriend just asked me if I had heard of this. Said thy used La Roux in the ad! I said Going in for the Kill? Yep.

Have to track the ad down.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Jtwo said:
Damn. LOVE the new commercial with La Roux!

Game is gonna be awesome.

Meier said:
Girlfriend just asked me if I had heard of this. Said thy used La Roux in the ad! I said Going in for the Kill? Yep.

Have to track the ad down.

If this is the same version that's been playing in GameStop for the past 2-3 weeks, you people have terrible taste.

Kevtones

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Can't believe nobody in LA has found this early, or at least found it early and was willing to say so and where.

Well whatever, just a few more days now.

I know some of the Best Buy's around here have it (Bixby Knollsm, Long Beach) for sure but they're not selling it. I haven't tried all of them but I think a memo was sent out or something. I've also checked Walmarts and Gamestops to no avail.

Jigsaw

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
Just completed all Alfheim Portals. Portal #12 can suck my ass. "Get 5 torture attacks and kill all enemies within the time limit." That doesn't sound so bad, right? I didn't think so either until I got 5 torture attacks and killed all the enemies only to find out that the torture attacks has to kill the enemy for it to count for this challenge.

Which challenge did you guys have the most trouble with?

this one,took me a few hours

in hardmode you need to torture 7 enemies and they are burning :) there's also an umbra crow within this alfheim which is only reachable after beating the challenge

Korey

I think it's fine.
I don't think it'll sell many copies of Bayonetta. In that trailer you get "Sarah Palin look-a-like with attitude and guns on her feet", but you don't get a sense of the crazy action gameplay that would sell fans of the genre (DMC/GOW fans, etc). If you had no idea what this game was before you saw that commercial, seeing this on Comedy Central wouldn't have helped much

Anso

GAF = not jazz fans I take it?

To be perfectly honest it's not like it's good, typical jazz. It's more like some kind of funky neo-jazz. Heck, just listen to the drums :D

I still think it's one of the better soundtracks of the 00's though. Very happy I bought it!

ZeMMiK

Do you have to be the panter to finish chapter 3?? I try to jump a bridge while it is collapsing after I used the time capsule. If yes...hoe to become a panter??
I bought the shotguns , and not it is automaticly equipted??

give me your advise pls.

thx

Peff

ZeMMiK said:
Do you have to be the panter to finish chapter 3?? I try to jump a bridge while it is collapsing after I used the time capsule. If yes...hoe to become a panter??
I bought the shotguns , and not it is automaticly equipted??

give me your advise pls.

thx

No, you don't, you get the ability to transform later.
You have to go to the end of the bridge and wait there until a QTE appears so you can jump down to a spot of land in the lava.

About the shotguns, nope, you have to equip them in the menu to hands or feet or both (select button).

ZeMMiK

Peff said:
No, you don't, you get the ability to transform later.
You have to go to the end of the bridge and wait there until a QTE appears so you can jump down to a spot of land in the lava.

About the shotguns, nope, you have to equip them in the menu to hands or feet or both (select button).

yep I totally forget my other menu, I bought the stuff but I didn't saw it in the game. Have my Katana equipted too.
The other thing...mmm I think I after the 3rd jump it get hard and I do not get a QTE yet.
trying...
btw why is it on you tube you see people running like a panter?? because they can bring there stuff on the next play through?

Top Bottom