• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Hixx

Relaxed Muscle said:
Yeah, It says "order placed", on my oustanding order, I hope it dispatches soon...can't wait...

Play always change the bigger games to 'in-stock' early to snatch more pre-orders. They'll sometimes even say its despatched a week early but for some magic reason Royal Mail will keep it in their warehouses for until release day.

HixxSAFC said:
Play always change the bigger games to 'in-stock' early to snatch more pre-orders. They'll sometimes even say its despatched a week early but for some magic reason Royal Mail will keep it in their warehouses for until release day.

Ugh, that sucks, even more considering I ordered it from Spain (better prices) and so was hoping that it could have arrived a couple of days after the real release date...oh well...

sonicmj1

I AM JOHN! said:
Oh thank God Sega's actually advertising this. What channel?

Also, anyone know of any places in NYC that have broken street date in case I decide I cannot wait until Tuesday or Wednesday?

Video Games New York sold me my early copy.

I'm going to start playing it right now.

HunkyDory

Neo Member
I AM JOHN! said:
Oh hell yes! Kind of makes me wish my parents didn't turn off the Twilight Zone marathon so I could've seen it (I bought them the entire series a Christmas or two ago, so don't you dare accuse me of sacrilege).

Good to see that Sega may not be as stupid as I usually think they are after all!

Yeah, the adverts have been running for a couple of weeks now.

I'm not a fan of that some usually, but it sounds so much better when there's footage from Bayonetta running. :D

sonicmj1 said:
Video Games New York sold me my early copy.

I'm going to start playing it right now.
When was the last time they ever honored a street date?

I think I'm gonna stay strong and play some of my backlog games until it comes out for real... then I'll go to the weird place I go to by J&R and buy it with no tax!

hulot

Just beat Normal, 18 hours or so. Questions about story:

Bayo is Cereza. But how did young Cereza get to the present, Balder?

Right Eye, Left Eye nonsense: Bayo has the left one but how? Jeanne sealed her into the eye? I'm not clear on this because Bayo does get found in that lake casket but the flashback shows Jeanne sealing her into the eye?

And the entire game was for awakening the left eye?

hulot said:
Just beat Normal, 18 hours or so. Questions about story:

Bayo is Cereza. But how did young Cereza get to the present, Balder?

Right Eye, Left Eye nonsense: Bayo has the left one but how? Jeanne sealed her into the eye? I'm not clear on this because Bayo does get found in that lake casket but the flashback shows Jeanne sealing her into the eye?

And the entire game was for awakening the left eye?

There Left and Right Eyes aren't physical objects, they are people possessing certain qualities. Bayonetta always was the Left Eye and Balder was always the Right. You spend most of the game thinking that the jewel Bayonetta has is the Left Eye but it was actually just the thing Jeanne used to seal Bayonetta and had no plot relevance beyond that.

Balder used the angels and brainwashed Jeanne in order to awaken the eye within Bayonetta so they could, in turn, awaken Jubileus.

yurinka

I finished the game in PS3 (6:30 in easy). Impressions:

Pros

I think GoW3 will be more powerful tech-wise, but Bayonetta will continue as my favourite game in the genre.

* Control / gameplay. IMO far better than God of War, Dante's Inferno, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden or Heavenly Sword.
* Music. Includes (I think) Afterburner, Out Run and Space Harrier remixes.
* Cinematics. Directed by the DMC4/Versus guy.
* Humor, sex references, and general crazyness.
* Tons of Sega/Platinum/Capcom games references.
* Replay value. Tons of unlockables / collectibles.
* Story, specially Bayonetta and Luka characters(I think Luka parodies Bionic Commando's new rasta design).
* Magic. It has this little charm of the classics.
* No mandatory install (PS3).
* Kamiya is God.

Cons

For me they aren't issues, but others used them to punish DMC4 y Heavenly Sword:

* 5 o 6 chapters (out of 15) uses rehashed backgrounds and enemies (in other colors, etc)
* Cleared in 6 hours and a half. Heavenly Sword took me 15 hours to reach the last level (still not finished).
* Some backgrounds are PS2-like.
* No multiplayer.
* Loading times (PS3). No optional install.

The story is nonsense, but I found it to be entertaining nonsense. I'm probably taking it too seriously by even discussing it, but
was anyone else a little disappointed that Cereza wasn't Bayonetta's daughter? Their interactions were surprisingly charming. Also, by the end, Luka probably should have got some action from Bayo. That Kamiya just doesn't want to tie Bayonetta down.
yurinka said:
* Cleared in 6 hours and a half. Heavenly Sword took me 15 hours to reach the last level (still not finished).
How is that even possible?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
ZealousD said:
If this is the same version that's been playing in GameStop for the past 2-3 weeks, you people have terrible taste.
I don't know, it seemed badass at the time.
I might have been just more shocked they were actually using music I know.

Jigsaw

Banned
yurinka said:

there is a reason why its called heavenly short,its not even 5 hours long...maybe 3 hours and 2 hours of these are cutscenes

Lyonaz

yurinka said:
I finished the game in PS3 (6:30 in easy). Impressions:

Cons

The game is 9-11 hours on normal. You picked easy, which is almost semi-automatic and only requires to button mash. That's the equivalent of unlimited ammo in a shooting game. =P
And didn't most people finish Heavenly Sword in 5hours.

d0c_zaius

Jigsaw said:
there is a reason why its called heavenly short,its not even 5 hours long...maybe 3 hours and 2 hours of these are cutscenes

At least make sense if you are going to attempt to sound witty while trolling a game.

I beat Bayonetta around 11 hours, with the last couple of hours feeling like it was dragging on. Funny though, the cutscenes felt way more contrived and boring than I thought they were going to be. Theres only so much DMC3 pizza juggling and motorcycle uppercuts I can take before it starts to get more bobo than Twin Snakes.

I liked the story even though it didnt really deliver at the end, but the whole Dante/Virgil-ness got old pretty quick.

Gameplay-wise, the game took all the mechanics I was looking for in an action game and blended them together nicely. I would like a little more weapon variety though and the torture moves kinda mess with the combat flow.

yurinka

a Master Ninja said:
How is that even possible?
Dahbomb said:
Bayonetta -> Easy Mode (not Very Easy)
Heavenly Sword -> Normal Mode (I think)

I unlocked 31% of Bayonetta's trophies, buyed all the techniques, a couple of accessories, a couple of dresses, and I got 5 (I think) weapons. Still not replayed a level in Bayonetta because I was insterested to see the story. Now I'm going to replay it.

Instead, I replayed some levels in Heavenly Sword to unlock things before finishing the game. I supouse the game tracks also the time while replaying. I'm stuck in Heavenly Sword final battle.

.:Wesker:. said:
What the dick man?
I'm stuck in first final boss of NGS1. I'm stuck in a final boss in NGS2 (the one in the burning house). I'm also stuck in both 2 Viewtiful Joe, and in a couple of DMC games.

I was afraid the game was going to be too difficult for me, and I also heard you have to complete the game in all difficulty modes to got all trophies.
Jigsaw said:
Why these trolls never say the same about games like MW2 or Gears2 in their SP campaigns?

BTW, I think Bayonetta has more cutscenes than Heavenly Sword, and if you consider that you also have to consider time elapsed in the shop and in the shitty shooting minigame.

I just got Durga and it took me a little while, but when I figured out how to switch elements, oh man, I'm drooling at the amount of attack options.

Tain

I feel so bad for nerding out over all the SEGA references in the game, but man oh man do I.

"Jyunen hayaindayo!"

omg she just did that

yurinka said:
I also heard you have to complete the game in all difficulty modes to got all trophies.
Very Easy and Easy aren't difficulty modes, therefore you don't get any trophies. The difficulties you have to beat for all the trophies are Normal, Hard, and Non-Stop Climax.

yurinka

.:Wesker:. said:
Very Easy and Easy aren't difficulty modes, therefore you don't get any trophies. The difficulties you have to beat for all the trophies are Normal, Hard, and Non-Stop Climax.
False

Edit: I checked and it's true.

I got trophies for killing the final bosses, but not for the chapters. Here's my trophies list -sorry, in Spanish- for Bayonetta (did in this less than 7 hours time):
http://www.subirimagenes.com/fotos-bayonetta-3814045.html

Peff

Tain said:
I feel so bad for nerding out over all the SEGA references in the game, but man oh man do I.

"Jyunen hayaindayo!"

omg she just did that

Yeah :D Also
"Claire, Trish, Ammy, Silvia..."
and I'm not sure if they are intentional, but the JoJo-like moments are great.

Tain said:

"Jyunen hayaindayo!"

omg she just did that

That sounds really familiar...what's that from again?

EDIT: Oh man, Akira! That would explain why she has the heel stomp and backslam too :D

Monocle

So I checked some Best Buys near Portland, OR, for Bayonetta. At the Washington Square location I found a blank space with a title card for the game. I had an associate look up Bayonetta and he said there were 3 copies in stock, 10 at the Tualatin and Beaverton locations, and 7 at the Tanasbourne. This guy was good enough to check all the likely places the missing copies might have been, including the back room, but he came up empty handed. BALLS. I wasn't as disappointed as I might have been, though, because I found a nice deal on Assassin's Creed 2, which I'd planned to buy ASAP after Bayonetta.

I called all the stores the associate named and they all gave me variations of the same two answers: "Yes, we have Bayonetta in stock and you most emphatically cannot have it," and "That game isn't released until the 5th. That's all we can tell you." No one I spoke to was willing to check the shelves. After a fruitless check-in at the closest GameStop I went to the Beaverton Best Buy, figuring I might have better luck if I inquired in person. Tons of games there, in a sprawling arrangement of shelves that nearly swallows you as you walk in. I saw a lot of good stuff, but no Bayonetta. I got someone to look in the back room and he confirmed there were 10 copies of the game. He refused to sell one to me no matter how hard I pushed.

I wasn't in the mood to check the other Best Buys. For the crime of living on the west coast, I have no choice but to wait for Bayonetta's official street date. Yay. I guess Gamestop's getting my $60 on the 5th after all. At least I have a great game to keep myself occupied in the meantime.

sonicmj1

I played it for about two and a half hours before I lost control of the TV, and that got me through the first two chapters. I'm exploring the levels a lot, but it's not easy to find all the extra verses in the game. I've already missed three.

Early thoughts:
- There are a lot of cutscenes. The opening cutscene isn't exactly atypical. They're stylish, but there's generally more stuff than I particularly need.
- The game takes its time giving you mechanics in the prologue. You can't do a Wicked Weave attack until Chapter 1. Threw off some of the stuff I learned in the demo.
- Combat is so goooooood. I like the new techniques I'm getting. Haven't faced anything too tough so far, but that's not a big deal.
- I've died three times so far. Two of the deaths were to bosses I hadn't faced in the demo, where I didn't know the timing of their attacks yet. One death was to a cheap QTE that I thought I had gotten. Not a big fan of these QTEs.
- Combat is fantastic zomg.

Can't wait to keep going. I'm still mostly facing enemies I saw in the demo, and I can't wait to encounter new stuff.

Peff

Just finished it. So awesome. It kept delivering until the very last second, and now, for the harder difficulties and unlockables.

Anony

played it on ps3 at friend's house
it was on normal, you get unlimited game overs, u get deducted on points at the end of the level only so i dont think it even matters
might as well skip the easy mode

Peff

Anony said:
played it on ps3 at friend's house
it was on normal, you get unlimited game overs, u get deducted on points at the end of the level only so i dont think it even matters
might as well skip the easy mode

It matters when you're facing a boss. If you die midway you have to start all over again. Still, Normal is challenging, but not incredibly hard, it's the perfect way to play the game for the first time, I think. Unless you rent it and need to hurry, of course...

EDIT: Huh, really? Though I guess me not knowing that proves that it's not so hard since I never died with a boss :lol

Tokubetsu

NIN90 said:
There are even checkpoints in between the bosses phases. There's no reason to play on easy AT ALL.

Some people are too weak to handle CLIMAX ACTION! This reminds of the time my friend got stuck on the mini boss in stage 2 of DMC3. He stopped trying/playing when I told him that guy basically becomes a large regular enemy later in the game. :lol

vulva

I really can't justify buying this game right now... but I have a feeling I will when the day comes... TAKE MY MONEY please

yurinka said:
I think this is bannable
mrwwsl.jpg

sonicmj1 said:
I played it for about two and a half hours before I lost control of the TV, and that got me through the first two chapters. I'm exploring the levels a lot, but it's not easy to find all the extra verses in the game. I've already missed three.

Early thoughts:
- There are a lot of cutscenes. The opening cutscene isn't exactly atypical. They're stylish, but there's generally more stuff than I particularly need.
- The game takes its time giving you mechanics in the prologue. You can't do a Wicked Weave attack until Chapter 1. Threw off some of the stuff I learned in the demo.
- Combat is so goooooood. I like the new techniques I'm getting. Haven't faced anything too tough so far, but that's not a big deal.
- I've died three times so far. Two of the deaths were to bosses I hadn't faced in the demo, where I didn't know the timing of their attacks yet. One death was to a cheap QTE that I thought I had gotten. Not a big fan of these QTEs.
- Combat is fantastic zomg.

Can't wait to keep going. I'm still mostly facing enemies I saw in the demo, and I can't wait to encounter new stuff.

Enjoy your difficulty spike in Chapter III.

Top Bottom