• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
YouTube has the answer to everything BBQ Ribs on a Gas Grill

This guy knows what he is talking about. IMO, charcoal/wood would be the best option, but your ribs should turnout damned good if you follow the video I posted.

ha, thats awesome. Thats almost exactly what I do with my ribs, but in the oven, since I don't have a smoker yet.

Make a nice rub with some herbs like sage or thyme cheyenne pepper etc. Put them on a two layer oven plate with all the juice from the meat in the bottom and then add a little water make a tent out of foil for the whole thing and then bake them at 175-200 for 2 hours or so then the last 30 minutes i take the tinfoil off. Then throw them on the grill with some homemade BBQ sauce, they are pretty amazing.

Vhalyar

I know gas grills are not this thread's favourite things, but for a number of reasons it's my best/only option (other than electric...) for a grill on my flat's balcony.

Just wondering what I can do to improve the experience, like in the aforementioned ribs video.

CrankyJay

Banned
Doing my first brisket this Saturday in celebration of college football being back. A little scared of ruining it.

Did you buy it yet?

My advice would be to get the full one and not just the flat...you really need that point with the fat cap on it to keep it moist.

andycapps

Did you buy it yet?

My advice would be to get the full one and not just the flat...you really need that point with the fat cap on it to keep it moist.

No, I think I'll buy it Wednesday. Don't want to wait until Friday to get it, pickings might be slim then. I'm planning on getting a full.

How much per pound will I likely be paying for Choice or higher? Buying at Sams Club as I've heard they're cheaper than most. No Costco membership here.

Crisco

Banned
Tried Turkey Legs on the WSM yesterday. They cooked up fine but could have used a little more flavor, especially saltiness. Anyone know a good recipe? I want them to taste like the turkey legs you get at the fair or Disney.

CrankyJay

Banned
No, I think I'll buy it Wednesday. Don't want to wait until Friday to get it, pickings might be slim then. I'm planning on getting a full.

How much per pound will I likely be paying for Choice or higher? Buying at Sams Club as I've heard they're cheaper than most. No Costco membership here.

I've never seen higher than choice to be honest. You could save some money if you can find a Select and want to use that as your first try, but some will claim the marbling isn't as good, and they might be right.

I've seen brisket vary in price...if I had to guess I'd say $3-5/lb. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful on price. You can find them cheaper if you had a membership at Restaurant Depot, but most people don't.

CrankyJay

Banned
Tried Turkey Legs on the WSM yesterday. They cooked up fine but could have used a little more flavor, especially saltiness. Anyone know a good recipe? I want them to taste like the turkey legs you get at the fair or Disney.

You'll definitely want to brine them for a few hours or more then. This will give it the salty flavor you're looking for as well as keep the meat moist/tender.

If you don't want to deal with the hassle of brining, you can try to loosen the skin and rub kosher salt all over the meat and let it sit in the fridge for 24-48 hours and rinse off all the salt before smoking. More instructions here: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey7.html (it's for a whole turkey, but you can adapt it just for the legs)

I just put a big bundle of beef spare ribs with a simple salt, pepper and paprika rub, some chicken legs with a salt, pepper, thyme & paprika rub and some potatoes on the offset.

Playing with fire & managing the heat is so therapeutic. Keeping it on temp, having it breathing well & keeping the smoke nice and clear is one of my favorite things.

andycapps

I've never seen higher than choice to be honest. You could save some money if you can find a Select and want to use that as your first try, but some will claim the marbling isn't as good, and they might be right.

I've seen brisket vary in price...if I had to guess I'd say $3-5/lb. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful on price. You can find them cheaper if you had a membership at Restaurant Depot, but most people don't.

Checked with local butcher shop and they're $5.49 for select, and Sams Club is $4.16. Yeah, obviously going with Sams Club. Sure would be nice to be in Texas or Kansas so I could get their prices that are half this.

CrankyJay

Banned
Checked with local butcher shop and they're $5.49 for select, and Sams Club is $4.16. Yeah, obviously going with Sams Club. Sure would be nice to be in Texas or Kansas so I could get their prices that are half this.

I heard in some places Walmart might have full packers as well...but the price will probably be similar to Sam's since they're owned by the same company.

andycapps

I heard in some places Walmart might have full packers as well...but the price will probably be similar to Sam's since they're owned by the same company.

Right, unless they're doing a sale. Which is possible. I'm going to check the local Kroger mail out and see if they're running a sale since this will be Labor Day weekend.

I've seen these before but I thought I would share it here. For those folks who are interested in getting into smoking, but don't want to invest the money for their first smoker, this is always an option. They're called mini WSMs, basically you build a small weber smokey mountain out of a smokey joe. Probably set you back 70 - 100 bucks depending on the parts you get.

http://bbqbros.net/how-to-build-a-mini-weber-smokey-mountain/

http://youtu.be/VI1jSq1qyTw

Billen

Banned
So, I am about to take the plunge. Currently debating internally whether to go for the larger model, having a harder time controlling temps and more expensive barbeques, or to go for the smaller version which I am afraid can't handle a load of meat.

Anyone that could hold my hand through this? Help me Obi-GAF-Kenobi, you are my only hope.

CrankyJay

Banned
So, I am about to take the plunge. Currently debating internally whether to go for the larger model, having a harder time controlling temps and more expensive barbeques, or to go for the smaller version which I am afraid can't handle a load of meat.

Anyone that could hold my hand through this? Help me Obi-GAF-Kenobi, you are my only hope.

Are you discussing the 18.5 vs. 22" WSM? How many people are you planning on cooking for?

Go here for comparison shots (tests 1 - 5 have capacity shots for both models): http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/22wsm.html#test1

I have an 18.5 and feel it's good for my needs.

Billen

Banned
Seen that actually, but still on the fence. Can the 18.5 do food for up to about 10 persons or so without ninjutsu tricks?

CrankyJay

Banned
Seen that actually, but still on the fence. Can the 18.5 do food for up to about 10 persons or so without ninjutsu tricks?

Yeah, easily.

Pork = can comfortablly fit 4 8lb shoulders ... maybe 6 with some ninjitsu
Chickens = Standing up, 6-8
Ribs = 8ish racks with rib racks
Beef = enough room for 2 briskets

That's plenty of room for 10+ people.

I regularly use my smoker for get togethers can never had a problem feeting around 10-15 with leftovers to spare.

andycapps

Yeah, easily.

Pork = can comfortablly fit 4 8lb shoulders ... maybe 6 with some ninjitsu
Chickens = Standing up, 6-8
Ribs = 8ish racks with rib racks
Beef = enough room for 2 briskets

That's plenty of room for 10+ people.

I regularly use my smoker for get togethers can never had a problem feeting around 10-15 with leftovers to spare.

What he said, I'd go with the 18.5. I've heard of some problems with temp control on the 22. The 18.5 has plenty of room.

I bake ribs in the oven. Fish too. I broil burgers. I cook my steak and pork stove-top on a cast iron skillet. I cook brats on a skillet with some water, and cook asparagus the same way.

Basically, the only thing I actually BBQ is hot dogs and shish kabobs. I love the flavor of charcoal BBQ, but cooking the aforementioned things in my kitchen leads to a juicer product.

Does BBQ-GAF hate me?

Ouch, if you have a Resturant Depot near you get a membership. If you have a business or know someone who does all you need is the TAX ID # to get a free membership.

Another way to do it is join KCBS for $35 a year, with KCBS you can get unlimited free day passes to RD. (www.kcbs.us)

I usually pay $2.69 a lb at RD for CHOICE grade briskets or they also have their own Angus Choice line which is $0.20 a lb. higher.

Good luck with the brisket. Cook it until 190F in the THICKEST part of the flat. Once at 190 probe it with a skewer or your therm probe. It should go in like butter, with no resistance. If it does not let it go and check in a 1/2 hr again. Some finish at 190F sometimes all the way up to 205F...every brisket is different in when it finishes.

I had an 18" WSM and upgraded to the 22" ...I say spend the extra bill and get the 22".

Better to have more room when you need it and with the 22" you can lay ribs out flat without using a rib rack and also cook whole packer briskets without having to squish them to fit on the rack like the 18".

The 22" does use more fuel, since it's larger but it runs as efficient as the 18" in my opinion. I don't have any issues with temp control. Once it is dialed in it stays locked in to that temp just like the 18 in my experience.

Don't shoot me but how would I make pulled pork or ribs using a propane grill? I've read like 5 different methods and have no idea which gaf would say is best :p

Don't shoot me but how would I make pulled pork or ribs using a propane grill? I've read like 5 different methods and have no idea which gaf would say is best :p

Here are some previous answers to go along with Marley's

YouTube has the answer to everything BBQ Ribs on a Gas Grill

This guy knows what he is talking about. IMO, charcoal/wood would be the best option, but your ribs should turnout damned good if you follow the video I posted.

On Alton Brown's good eats special 6 Right on Q, he does some ribs on a propane grill if I remember right. You may want to try that. Yup here you go starts here. Good luck to you!

andycapps

I bake ribs in the oven. Fish too. I broil burgers. I cook my steak and pork stove-top on a cast iron skillet. I cook brats on a skillet with some water, and cook asparagus the same way.

Basically, the only thing I actually BBQ is hot dogs and shish kabobs. I love the flavor of charcoal BBQ, but cooking the aforementioned things in my kitchen leads to a juicer product.

Does BBQ-GAF hate me?

I wouldn't say we hate you, you're just in the wrong thread. BBQ'ing isn't the same as grilling.

Ouch, if you have a Resturant Depot near you get a membership. If you have a business or know someone who does all you need is the TAX ID # to get a free membership.

Another way to do it is join KCBS for $35 a year, with KCBS you can get unlimited free day passes to RD. (www.kcbs.us)

I usually pay $2.69 a lb at RD for CHOICE grade briskets or they also have their own Angus Choice line which is $0.20 a lb. higher.

Good luck with the brisket. Cook it until 190F in the THICKEST part of the flat. Once at 190 probe it with a skewer or your therm probe. It should go in like butter, with no resistance. If it does not let it go and check in a 1/2 hr again. Some finish at 190F sometimes all the way up to 205F...every brisket is different in when it finishes.

Thanks for the tips, I'll look into RD. It looks like we have one but it's about 25 minutes away. That might be worth the drive for something that costs roughly half as much for better quality. Buying the brisket tonight so I'll let you know if it was choice or select. From what I've read online, most of the briskets that Sams gets are select.

Billen

Banned
I had an 18" WSM and upgraded to the 22" ...I say spend the extra bill and get the 22".

Better to have more room when you need it and with the 22" you can lay ribs out flat without using a rib rack and also cook whole packer briskets without having to squish them to fit on the rack like the 18".

The 22" does use more fuel, since it's larger but it runs as efficient as the 18" in my opinion. I don't have any issues with temp control. Once it is dialed in it stays locked in to that temp just like the 18 in my experience.

You had to go ruin my resolve, didn't you? :D

Have you tried a smaller charcoal ring, either a smaller model or with fire bricks etc? If so, does it then consume as much as the 18, or still more?

I would imagine that it's not the size of the charcoal ring that's cause it to use more fuel, it's the fact that you need to heat and keep hot a larger amount of volume inside the smoker. You'll have more water (and water absorbs a lot of thermal energy, specially when it makes its phase change), and more air to hold at your desired temp. It's just going to use more fuel.

Billen

Banned
I would imagine that it's not the size of the charcoal ring that's cause it to use more fuel, it's the fact that you need to heat and keep hot a larger amount of volume inside the smoker. You'll have more water (and water absorbs a lot of thermal energy, specially when it makes its phase change), and more air to hold at your desired temp. It's just going to use more fuel.

Absolutely, it should require more energy. Still, I am very interested in how much of a difference it is.

andycapps

Got two briskets last night. Had to get two since they were only around 5 pounds each and are the flats. I asked for whole and he said they didn't get any since last July 4th, lol. They seem like decent quality, probably Select.

I already have apple wood, will that work for smoking brisket?

Billen

Banned
That is it. Went and ordered an 18,5 WSM. I was thinking that this will keep me company during autumn, through the winter and during spring. Then, when summer time comes, I could start thinking about hosting larger bbqs and complement with the 22 if needed. :D

andycapps

That is it. Went and ordered an 18,5 WSM. I was thinking that this will keep me company during autumn, through the winter and during spring. Then, when summer time comes, I could start thinking about hosting larger bbqs and complement with the 22 if needed. :D

I think you'll be happy with it, I love mine. You should have enough to host pretty large barbeques. I think you should be good up to about 20 people.

CrankyJay

Banned

Welcome to the family.

Billen

Banned
I think you'll be happy with it, I love mine. You should have enough to host pretty large barbeques. I think you should be good up to about 20 people.

Oh, that much? All I can think about is jalapeno poppers wrapped in bacon. Time to help Sweden understand that meatballs are out, and bbq is in. Maybe I'll just bbq Swedish meatballs and put the result on Youtube.

Right Shin, more volume= more fuel.

I run mine without water in the pan (hate the cleanup) I use a terra-cotta saucer instead wrapped in foil for a heatsink. Consumes less fuel than heating up water and all I do is peel of the top layer of foil and replace after each cook....easy-peasy!

andycapps

Oh, that much? All I can think about is jalapeno poppers wrapped in bacon. Time to help Sweden understand that meatballs are out, and bbq is in. Maybe I'll just bbq Swedish meatballs and put the result on Youtube.

I guess it depends on how good your BBQ is and how hungry everyone is. ;p But there are two levels of racks, so you can probably fit 4 whole chickens on each one, easily. You can probably do 2, maybe 3 pork shoulders on each. One brisket on each. I had a crappy, small smoker before, and I thought my 18.5 was huge when I got it. It still seems bigger than anything I've needed it for thus far. It's been a month or two since my last cook so I'm excited to get it going again on Saturday.

Billen

Banned
I guess it depends on how good your BBQ is and how hungry everyone is. ;p But there are two levels of racks, so you can probably fit 4 whole chickens on each one, easily. You can probably do 2, maybe 3 pork shoulders on each. One brisket on each. I had a crappy, small smoker before, and I thought my 18.5 was huge when I got it. It still seems bigger than anything I've needed it for thus far. It's been a month or two since my last cook so I'm excited to get it going again on Saturday.

Time for some international Google hangouts focused on meat. :D

andycapps

Time for some international Google hangouts focused on meat. :D

You're in Europe, right? I can't imagine the look on one of your friends faces when they try BBQ for the first time. Honestly, I'd be envious to be in their shoes and experience it for the first time again.

First attempt at ribs - Fail

Next time I need to prep them better lol

Forgot to peel off the membrane.....thought it was already off.....then I looked up what I was supposed to look for and oops
Need to season the meat more next time
Need to get wood chips for the next time
And I think I should get pork ribs instead of beef ribs

CrankyJay

Banned
Anyone in here tackled a prime rib / standing rib roast in the WSM? Any lessons learned?

Have you read these?

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html#beef

He has like 4 different variations with video (for standing rib roast)

He says to smoke at 350-370...I would LOVE it if I could get my WSM that hot, but most times I just can't top 325 on it, no matter how many coals I light. Makes for smoking chickens for crispy skin a bitch.

I really want to do a chuck roll.

And a bone in leg of lamb (stuffed with fresh rosemary and garlic)

Top Bottom