• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

ShinAmano

Welp...thought I only had one party this weekend...turns out I have two...so instead of wings I am going with the old standby Boston butt.

Billen

Banned
You're in Europe, right? I can't imagine the look on one of your friends faces when they try BBQ for the first time. Honestly, I'd be envious to be in their shoes and experience it for the first time again.

Sweden, yup. While BBQ is not as big here (to put it mildly) as it is in the US, there are people doing it as well as places serving actualy, proper bbq. My friends, however, have as you say probably never eaten it. Grilling (also on lower heat, but still grilling) is VERY big here, but seeing what people think about BBQ will be nice.

I see you asked a newb question on the Virtual Weber website...name reversed. Good job!

Absolutely. I love the fact that people are nerding out properly around bbqing :D Btw, what wsm do you have?

Liljagare

I think the major problem is that we don't really sell the good BBQ equipment here, and everyone goes for Webers rounds..

Finally got myself a nice one last year..

5098046-origpic-2bcdea.jpg_0_0_100_100_250_243_75.jpg

Learnt how to do BBQ whilst living in the USA though, now spreading the smokey goyeeness around Stockholm! Going for 4 racks of ribs tomorrow, with some pork tenderloin on the side.

Chris R

Went to Costco to pick up some Butt to deal with this weekend, only to find they sell a ton of Butt :( 18lb was the smallest package I could find, so instead a Brisket is what is on the menu this weekend. Going to get a good rub on it tonight and grill it nice and slow tomorrow.

Billen

Banned
I think the major problem is that we don't really sell the good BBQ equipment here, and everyone goes for Webers rounds..

Finally got myself a nice one last year..

5098046-origpic-2bcdea.jpg_0_0_100_100_250_243_75.jpg

Learnt how to do BBQ whilst living in the USA though, now spreading the smokey goyeeness around Stockholm! Going for 4 racks of ribs tomorrow, with some pork tenderloin on the side.

Loads of stores selling the Weber WSM in Sweden though. :)

JoeBoy101

Glad to see this thread on GAF. Just started with the Weber bullet about a 2 months ago, doing some ribs and butt.

Quick question for the group: Feelings on wrapping?

I did Ribs both with and without wrapping, and with wrapping came out with way more moisture and a great texture. With Boston Butt, it certainly helped cook time (13 hours down to 9) and the outside wasn't as barky tough as without, but it may have hindered getting more smoke on it.

Billen

Banned
Glad to see this thread on GAF. Just started with the Weber bullet about a 2 months ago, doing some ribs and butt.

I did Ribs both with and without wrapping, and with wrapping came out with way more moisture and a great texture. With Boston Butt, it certainly helped cook time (13 hours down to 9) and the outside wasn't as barky tough as without, but it may have hindered getting more smoke on it.

Once my wsm arrives I think I am going to give high heat a try, since I wont be able to let it just sit for the first runs anyway. :D

Look here for info.

CrankyJay

Banned
Sweden, yup. While BBQ is not as big here (to put it mildly) as it is in the US, there are people doing it as well as places serving actualy, proper bbq. My friends, however, have as you say probably never eaten it. Grilling (also on lower heat, but still grilling) is VERY big here, but seeing what people think about BBQ will be nice.

Absolutely. I love the fact that people are nerding out properly around bbqing :D Btw, what wsm do you have?

I have an 18.5 ... plenty for my current needs.

CrankyJay

Banned

I always start unfoiled to get the bark to set and let smoke in...by the time meet reaches 140F I believe smoke absorption sort of stops for the most part, so at that point I think it should be okay to foil.

I do my ribs at 275 and cook unfoiled for 3 hours, then another 1 to 2 foiled to tenderize the meat and soften up the bark a little (but not uncrisp it or make it soft so it wipes off).

For butt I really only foil if I need to speed up the process, but no matter what I do wrap it in foil once it's off the smoker for 1-3 hours before serving.

deadbeef

Have you read these?

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html#beef

He has like 4 different variations with video (for standing rib roast)

He says to smoke at 350-370...I would LOVE it if I could get my WSM that hot, but most times I just can't top 325 on it, no matter how many coals I light. Makes for smoking chickens for crispy skin a bitch.

I really want to do a chuck roll.

And a bone in leg of lamb (stuffed with fresh rosemary and garlic)

I have seen those but didn't realize until just now that there are videos. I guess I was just looking for tips from actual people that had done it! It's an expensive piece of meat to gamble with haha.

CrankyJay

Banned
I have seen those but didn't realize until just now that there are videos. I guess I was just looking for tips from actual people that had done it! It's an expensive piece of meat to gamble with haha.

He's an actual people...lol

Seriously though, I haven't been too disappointed following any of this guy's tutorials, and usually develop my own methods from there.

To be honest, I'm not sure how you can fuck up a standing rib roast other than overcooking it...just have a digital thermometer in the middle until it reaches the doneness you want and pull it and let it rest for 20+ min.

deadbeef

He's an actual people...lol

Seriously though, I haven't been too disappointed following any of this guy's tutorials, and usually develop my own methods from there.

To be honest, I'm not sure how you can fuck up a standing rib roast other than overcooking it...just have a digital thermometer in the middle until it reaches the doneness you want and pull it and let it rest for 20+ min.

Haha fair enough

andycapps

Sweden, yup. While BBQ is not as big here (to put it mildly) as it is in the US, there are people doing it as well as places serving actualy, proper bbq. My friends, however, have as you say probably never eaten it. Grilling (also on lower heat, but still grilling) is VERY big here, but seeing what people think about BBQ will be nice.?

That's awesome though. I like to see people in other countries catch onto something so awesome. To me, it's every bit as awesome as ethnic foods from other countries. Maybe better than most, because for me it's hard to eat anything better than good BBQ.

I haven't wrapped much, but I'm planning on wrapping tomorrow. FWIW, it's called the Texas Crutch and prevents the meat from stalling at around 150 degrees F. The issue is that the water is evaporating from the meat and it cools the meat, and that can continue until most of the moisture is gone. Wrapping it seems to speed the process, I'm assuming by cooking it in it's own steam.

As far as smoke goes, the meat only absorbs smoke for the first several hours anyway, so if you put wood on it after that you're wasting your money. I think pretty much all competition cooks wrap their meat. Also, I haven't done ribs yet, so I'm not the one to talk to about that. One thing at a time, haha.

Oh wow, Weber is apparently making a 14.5" WSM for 2014...something to keep in mind if the 18.5 @ $300 is too pricey.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?425...3B-Mini-Smoker&p=462077&viewfull=1#post462077

Some folks have also been getting the body of the new 18.5 and 22 models when ordering replacement parts. It looks like they're putting a hole right between the two cooking grates, and adding a rubber grommet to make it easier for people to use pit thermometers.

Looks like the 14.5s will get the grommet as well.

14wsmphoto.jpg

Have you read these?

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html#beef

He has like 4 different variations with video (for standing rib roast)

He says to smoke at 350-370...I would LOVE it if I could get my WSM that hot, but most times I just can't top 325 on it, no matter how many coals I light.

Have you tried running it with just foiling the pan...NO water?

I have done a rib roast a few times on the WSM. I use the Alton Brown Method and adapt it to the WSM

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...ing-rib-roast-with-sage-jus-recipe/index.html

Cook it at 200-225, until it hits 118 IT, Rest and then crank up the Weber kettle (or remove the stack from the wsm and place a grate over the fire) and sear it to finish it off. Turns out great every time!

PRIBa.jpg

PRIBd.jpg

By reverse searing you get med-rare all the way through

PRIBe.jpg

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
^^^^^
Drool..

Meijer had a sale on Baby Backs so I picked up 3 while I was there this morning.. Gonna be some good smokin going on for labor day.

That's precisely what I do. I'm going to try again this weekend with some chickens.

I would use lump charcoal too as it burns hotter than briquettes. I am able to get my 22 up to those temps, all vents wide open & lump charcoal with an empty pan.

Good luck, those tips should help.

I just started grilling on my little weber kettle, and I'm using a chimney starter. Problem is, the starter puts out a TON of smoke before it really gets going. So much that neighbors stopped by to make sure everything was OK. They thought my house was on fire.

Am I doing something wrong, or is that just how it goes? I may have to go propane if that's the case. Neighbors are pretty close to me and I can't have smoke just billowing over into their property all the time.

Once the coals get going its not a problem.

Also, when am I supposed to dump the coals from the chimney into the grill? I thought it was when flames were starting to shoot from the top? But when I dump them in they are really unevenly hot. Like some coals are all grey, others are just burning on one corner or side. I feel like you get a more even burn with starter fluid...

mcfrank

I just started grilling on my little weber kettle, and I'm using a chimney starter. Problem is, the starter puts out a TON of smoke before it really gets going. So much that neighbors stopped by to make sure everything was OK. They thought my house was on fire.

Am I doing something wrong, or is that just how it goes? I may have to go propane if that's the case. Neighbors are pretty close to me and I can't have smoke just billowing over into their property all the time.

Once the coals get going its not a problem.

Also, when am I supposed to dump the coals from the chimney into the grill? I thought it was when flames were starting to shoot from the top? But when I dump them in they are really unevenly hot. Like some coals are all grey, others are just burning on one corner or side. I feel like you get a more even burn with starter fluid...

Decent amount of smoke is normal, unfortunately. Wait until the coals at the top of the chimney have turned a bit gray. If you just wait until flames are coming out the top coals probably are not fully lit yet.

I find depending on the brand of charcoal affects how much smoke there is when getting going in the chimney. With wicked good there's just a thin small amount of smoke. With any of the briquettes I use (royal oak and stubbs) there's a ton of smoke. It also seems that how much airflow there is between the coals affects how much smoke you get, less air more smoke it seems. Least in my experience.

Here are the ribs after foiling, and then when I finally took them off. I smoked them for 6 hours total and they felt mostly tender. I think they could have possibly used another hour on the smoker. Flavor was nice though.

andycapps

Turns out the briskets I paid $4.16/lb for we're Angus and USDA Choice. Don't feel so bad about paying that much now. Got the briskets trimmed and rubbed down, smoker is ready. Can't wait to start tomorrow morning. Anticipating about 6 hours for them. They're only about 4 pounds each, so I can't see them taking too long.

These are flats btw.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I'm looking at this baby once I move out. Our backyard is too small for this baby but we are looking at a new place next year.

I can't wait. Does anybody know of a decent butcher in Sydney (Australia) that sells brisket?

Looking forward to sharing and learning some tips from some of you guys.

Full%20Smoker%20Closed.jpg

I was up north recently visiting some folks and they said they were having a BBQ, so I went and they cooked up burgers and hot dogs on the grill. I asked where the BBQ was and they pointed at the hot dogs and burgers. WTF is that about?

mcfrank

I was up north recently visiting some folks and they said they were having a BBQ, so I went and they cooked up burgers and hot dogs on the grill. I asked where the BBQ was and they pointed at the hot dogs and burgers. WTF is that about?

Ha, yeah I deal with that all of the time.

Turns out the briskets I paid $4.16/lb for we're Angus and USDA Choice. Don't feel so bad about paying that much now. Got the briskets trimmed and rubbed down, smoker is ready. Can't wait to start tomorrow morning. Anticipating about 6 hours for them. They're only about 4 pounds each, so I can't see them taking too long.

These are flats btw.

Since you are cooking flats only, foil those bad boys up with some type of liquid of your choice (beer, beef broth or worsch sauce -in the bottom of the foil 1/4C or less) around 160F then cook until tender. Unwrap and let vent for around 15-20 min. Then wrap back up and hold in an empty cooler or oven for around an hour or two if possible before slicing. ALWAYS slice against the grain (if you did not know - I assume you do AndyCapps)

966961_10201047716812065_724269841_o_zpsdab58e48.jpg

Post up some pics!!! Doing ABT's, Ribs and some Chicken Kabobs tomorrow. I am going to do the ribs on my extra kettle....been awhile and I like a challenge.

andycapps

Briskets are going on in a few. Which one should I put my temp probe in? The one on the top or bottom rack? And is it going to be necessary to switch these from top to bottom during the cook? They're only about 4 pounds each.

CrankyJay

Banned
Briskets are going on in a few. Which one should I put my temp probe in? The one on the top or bottom rack? And is it going to be necessary to switch these from top to bottom during the cook? They're only about 4 pounds each.

I'd probe the top one...it should be slightly hotter than the bottom rack. I wouldn't bother switching. If they're both the same size, I'd consider your bottom brisket the insurance one in case the top one gets overcooked. =)

Just my 2 cents...BBQ is just a feeling thing.

andycapps

I'd probe the top one...it should be slightly hotter than the bottom rack. I wouldn't bother switching. If they're both the same size, I'd consider your bottom brisket the insurance one in case the top one gets overcooked. =)

Just my 2 cents...BBQ is just a feeling thing.

That's what I figured, so I already put the probe in the top brisket. Good to know I wasn't completely lost. Put them on 45 minutes ago and top one is already at 129F. Have the probe in the thickest part of the meat. I don't think this is going to take a long time at all. I might hold off on wrapping them until 2 hours is up. Want to get that smoke in the meat.

Smoking them at 225F by the way.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

I generally don't wrap anything I smoke. I do spray apple juice every hour to keep it moist though.

CrankyJay

Banned
Gonna smoke some loin back ribs, beans, and maybe some italian sausages.

10-30% chance of rain, but that's doable for me. Haha.

andycapps

3 1/2 hours in on my briskets. Smoker is at 225 and brisket temp has been at 162 now for about 1 1/2 hours. Brisket is looking good but no crust is forming yet. Have to leave in 3 1/2 hours and can let it rest or finish in the oven since my wife will be here.

Should I wrap it now or let it do it's thing? I guess my question is whether I should wait for some crust before wrapping. I suppose I could wait another 2 1/2 hours and then wrap it and put in oven.

CrankyJay

Banned
3 1/2 hours in on my briskets. Smoker is at 225 and brisket temp has been at 162 now for about 1 1/2 hours. Brisket is looking good but no crust is forming yet. Have to leave in 3 1/2 hours and can let it rest or finish in the oven since my wife will be here.

Should I wrap it now or let it do it's thing? I guess my question is whether I should wait for some crust before wrapping. I suppose I could wait another 2 1/2 hours and then wrap it and put in oven.

I wouldn't wrap it if the bark isn't set.

Billen

Banned
Some folks have also been getting the body of the new 18.5 and 22 models when ordering replacement parts. It looks like they're putting a hole right between the two cooking grates, and adding a rubber grommet to make it easier for people to use pit thermometers.

Looks like the 14.5s will get the grommet as well.

14wsmphoto.jpg

Funny detail, I spoke with a salesman from Weber Sweden the other day, and he didn't have a clue what I was talking about when I mentioned a changed model, added grommet etc.

"We just had an information meeting regarding next year, and there are absolutely no changes. I can't understand why anyone would want holes for an external thermometer anyway, since there is a thermometer in the lid and it is very accurate."

This regarding talk about added mid section handles and grommet btw. Also, I am so damn envious of you guys. My wsm can't arrive soon enough! :D

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I know this is considered blasphemy in the world of BBQ, but I had to share my first attempt at ribs (on a gas grill...). So far, it smells delicious. My wife and I received this grill with the house (the previous owners left it for us). We aren't really in the market to buy a second grill for smoking or anything like this, so it will have to work until we at least have some spare change to play with.

Ge5Rmaq.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
Funny detail, I spoke with a salesman from Weber Sweden the other day, and he didn't have a clue what I was talking about when I mentioned a changed model, added grommet etc.

"We just had an information meeting regarding next year, and there are absolutely no changes. I can't understand why anyone would want holes for an external thermometer anyway, since there is a thermometer in the lid and it is very accurate."

This regarding talk about added mid section handles and grommet btw. Also, I am so damn envious of you guys. My wsm can't arrive soon enough! :D

There are instructions online for drilling your own grommet holes and you can buy WSM grommets online.

https://www.rocksbarbque.com/Accessories.html

http://cajunbandit.com/wsm-parts-mods/

CrankyJay

Banned
Decided not to foil wrap my loinback ribs today like I normally do...I gave it a quick tear test and it seems foiling would just cook it way past where I want to go, so I opted to just spray both racks with apple juice instead.

Beans n' bacon and hot italian sausage links were just put on the bottom rack.

They look nice, I would hit that a couple times!

Thank you, and that brisket you showed OMG looked good.

Some one should educate them on the accuracy of bi-metal thermometers. The one in my OTG can be anywhere from with in a few degrees to like 45 - 50 degrees off. This weekend my maverick was saying like 230 and the one in the kettle hood was like 275.

Top Bottom