• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

CrankyJay

Banned
Thank you, and that brisket you showed OMG looked good.

Some one should educate them on the accuracy of bi-metal thermometers. The one in my OTG can be anywhere from with in a few degrees to like 45 - 50 degrees off. This weekend my maverick was saying like 230 and the one in the kettle hood was like 275.

Pretty much. Every once in awhile I will dip my probes in boiling water to see how far off from 212F they are.

But do BBQ enough and you can tell from touch when done something is done.

I cheat tho, I use a therma pen.

CrankyJay

Banned
pics from today's smoke...

One rack dry, one sauced on the right (beans/bacon and sausage underneath)
SA8xOMLl.jpg

Cross section so you can see the smoke ring
edDKMCIl.jpg

Smoked beans with bacon on top
SakZDCll.jpg

Platter of ribs and smoked hot italian sausage links
HUhHN2tl.jpg

Chris R

Brisket I made turned out ok. Decent smoke ring (much better smoking this go around compared to last time) but my seasoning rub wasn't that great. Meat also ended up a bit dry, even if it was tender and easy to eat/cut. Got it to 160 and then wrapped it to 195/200 and rested, wondering if my grill was just too hot or if I didn't wrap it in time.

Brisket I made turned out ok. Decent smoke ring (much better smoking this go around compared to last time) but my seasoning rub wasn't that great. Meat also ended up a bit dry, even if it was tender and easy to eat/cut. Got it to 160 and then wrapped it to 195/200 and rested, wondering if my grill was just too hot or if I didn't wrap it in time.

Might have been too hot, as you should only wrap a brisket if you don't get it at a consistent low heat, ideally at 225. The fat should saturate the meat through rendering at this temp.

My summer project is to recondition these smokers and get them running for christmas. This is one of two next to each other with fireboxes underneath. Real wood smoking, can't wait to get them cleaned up and ready to go. Used to be commercial smokers about 25 years ago and have been decommissioned ever since.

qABksfx.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
My summer project is to recondition these smokers and get them running for christmas. This is one of two next to each other with fireboxes underneath. Real wood smoking, can't wait to get them cleaned up and ready to go. Used to be commercial smokers about 25 years ago and have been decommissioned ever since.

qABksfx.jpg

Holy shit. Where did you find these?

All of that looks really good CrankyJay.

Do you guys continue to BBQ in the Winter? If so are you in areas that it snows and such?

CrankyJay

Banned
All of that looks really good CrankyJay.

Do you guys continue to BBQ in the Winter? If so are you in areas that it snows and such?

Hell yes I smoke in the winter, and I live in Buffalo NY.

The only thing to watch our for is high winds. When we get a lot of snow I like to shovel my patio and build a snow wall around my smoker to guard against the wind.

Hell yes I smoke in the winter, and I live in Buffalo NY.

The only thing to watch our for is high winds. When we get a lot of snow I like to shovel my patio and build a snow wall around my smoker to guard against the wind.

*fuck yea*

I've been grilling like a mad man since I went full-charcoal. Closing on a house soon, so I'm hoping to get a smoker of some kind. But I'd love the one you have.

Holy shit. Where did you find these?

My GFs mum bought a house that used to be a smokehouse 25 years ago. Thought i'd have a look and it's these monsters, two next to each other. Over Christmas i'm gonna clean em out and get them running. She has lambs on her property and when it's time for one to go, they're going into the smoker.

There's also a huge cold smoking room that's been sealed up that I can get running, but you'd need to put about 10 sheep / 200 salmon in there to make it worth your while.

CrankyJay

Banned
Just fired up the smoker...and then some dark clouds roll in. Let's hope I can squeeze out some MOINK balls and sausage before it starts raining/blowing wind too hard.

CrankyJay

Banned
MOINK balls, as promised, I made these from scratch instead of using the frozen kind as most recipes recommend.

gBIyILi.jpg

Z09m9Xa.jpg

tmpipJQ.jpg

Baby smoke ring!
i3EpNoi.jpg

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
For all that this is US-styled, it seems a good place to ask for advice.

Later this month me and Mrs phisheep are, being as the children have at long last moved out, moving into a flat that is small and cosy and has a tiny courtyard garden that is (a) easily maintainable and (b) has a bigass barbecue in the corner, with a chimney and all.

Now it would be a shame to waste it, but it looks like it has not been used for a while and is carrying a bit of rust.

Do you guys have any suggestions as to how to start up barbecuing from scratch? (OK, it's not quite from scratch - I've done a bit before, but I've never been very happy with it), and there's a new resource here just waiting to be used.

Definitely read through this thread (I know it's a lot) check out The Naked Whiz for lump charcoal reviews. Check out Amazingribs.com for all kinds of usefull tutorials and information. Then head to youtube, where you can find a metric ton of BBQ how to videos. From how to trim a full spare rib rack of ribs down to a st louis cut, to how to manage temps in your particular style of grill.

Alos those Moink balls look AMAZEBALLS. What is the taste like on them?

Chris R

Might have been too hot, as you should only wrap a brisket if you don't get it at a consistent low heat, ideally at 225. The fat should saturate the meat through rendering at this temp.

Yea I'm thinking it was too hot as well, but I didn't get it started until almost noon :( Next time I'll make sure I wake up sooner and work with fewer coals and just babysit it instead of the set and forget method I was using.

CrankyJay

Banned
They're sort of salty/sweet. I might actually mix the BBQ sauce with grape jelly next time to make them sweeter to get that contrast.

I feel like another variation of this would be awesome if the meatball was stuffed with cheese.

Billen

Banned
Honestly, I was full a couple of minutes ago, but those MOINK ball pictures has me salivating. Holy crap that looks delicious. :D

ShinAmano

So usually if have some extra pulled pork after a cook I make some chili...today is no different.

I really need to figure out how to post pics ;(

Billen

Banned
So, had to use the wsm for something quick. I was aiming for a dry run, but something had to be eaten. Those MOINK balls sure came in handy. :D

Longing to try some proper bbq in the weekend.

CrankyJay

Banned
So, had to use the wsm for something quick. I was aiming for a dry run, but something had to be eaten. Those MOINK balls sure came in handy. :D

Longing to try some proper bbq in the weekend.

You mean breaking it in without cooking anything? I never did that...I think my first test was chicken. Got the insides nice and oily from the chicken skin.

Made some pulled pork yesterday. I woke up nice and early to discover that the pork butt I had been defrosting since Thursday night, was still a solid block of ice. So at 7:20 am I ran to Shoprite and bought the nicest looking pork butt they had. Which was a boneless one that was wrapped to hold it's shape.

Here she is all dusted up with rub and a probe in place.

And here she is again after coming out of the smoke 10 hours later, and then sitting in for for an hour.

Finally after she'd been pulled.

Came out really good, probably my best pulled pork yet, and that's with no injection, no brining, just holding 225 for 10 hours and some dry rub.

I've got people coming around on the weekend and i'm trying to figure out what to bbq. I'm going to smoke on my offset, but can't decide between brisket, beef ribs, pork ribs, tri tip... I dunno. Gonna try Moink balls though!

I've got people coming around on the weekend and i'm trying to figure out what to bbq. I'm going to smoke on my offset, but can't decide between brisket, beef ribs, pork ribs, tri tip... I dunno. Gonna try Moink balls though!

Pulled pork AND Pork Ribs!!!!

Is that a firepit in the middle?

It is, though I don't know if that's one of the older Weber Firepits just there, or if that's something they're bringing back for the 2014 line. If it's one of the older ones it's missing the middle section.

older model firepit

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007IMT7W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

weber-fireplace-xl.jpg

andycapps

It is, though I don't know if that's one of the older Weber Firepits just there, or if that's something they're bringing back for the 2014 line. If it's one of the older ones it's missing the middle section.

older model firepit

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007IMT7W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

weber-fireplace-xl.jpg

That's actually pretty cool. I'm thinking of making a permanent one next summer, but Weber's products are so good I might think about getting this.

Anyone in the US may want to check out their local targets. Some of them are discounting some or all of their Weber stuff. I've seen folks grab brand new 18.5 kettles for like 50 bucks. I managed to score a Jumbo Joe for 17.94. I wasn't going to get one but at that price it's hard to say no.

Dizzan

MINI Member
My wife bought me a big Joe for my birthday. Feeling pretty spoilt. Quick question with brisket. Do I have to get the internal temp up to 190? Is it possible to have it a little more on the rare side? I am a complete noon on BBQ. We only really grill here in Australia.

andycapps

My wife bought me a big Joe for my birthday. Feeling pretty spoilt. Quick question with brisket. Do I have to get the internal temp up to 190? Is it possible to have it a little more on the rare side? I am a complete noon on BBQ. We only really grill here in Australia.

I'd say 190 at minimum. You need to get a good digital thermometer that you can check internal temp with. I took my last brisket to 202, some take it to 205. The thing with brisket is that it's very tough, and the connective tissues don't really start to break down until you get above 200. Go too high and it gets tough again. You should rest it for an hour wrapped in foil when you're done.

Really, just start here where I did.

andycapps

Thanks for the advice mate. Is there a minimum size I should cook?

Just depends on how hungry you are and how many you're feeding. If you can find a whole packer brisket those are best, those include the flat and point. For me, I was only able to find flats so I got two of those and I had enough for 4 meals for my wife and daughter. And these were big meals. I think each of my flats were about 10 pounds?

I might try to make a brisket on my gas grill this weekend.......

I know how to set my grill up for indirect heat and smoke

What should I look for when selecting a brisket? I'll be looking for one to feed 3-3.5 people so it won't be a huge one

1.5 hours of cooking time per pound?

Edit-

Well, this is how it turned out after carving, I cooked it a bit too long, had to struggle with on and off rain all day lol, was pretty tasty

I'm pleased with my results and know what to do differently if I ever do this again

29581_10101528413424530_623970244_n.jpg

And damn kosher meat prices, damn them!

CrankyJay

Banned
made a couple racks yesterday for my bro who was visiting, he was like "Wow, these are just like Q shack ribs (in North Carolina)" where he's from

I swelled with pride.

Getting my routine down pat for ribs..I definitely favor letting my coals and wood go for an hour before putting the food on so the wood is burning clean with blue smoke. Makes a huge difference.

made a couple racks yesterday for my bro who was visiting, he was like "Wow, these are just like Q shack ribs (in North Carolina)" where he's from

I swelled with pride.

Getting my routine down pat for ribs..I definitely favor letting my coals and wood go for an hour before putting the food on so the wood is burning clean with blue smoke. Makes a huge difference.

Yeah, starting your fire an hour before cook is a necessity. What kind of BBQ you using? I'm using a cheap offset that I upgraded from my trusty weber about 6 months ago (still have the weber of course) and it's got some leaks I need to fix so it's a bit of wrestling match with temperatures due to my preference for using real wood, but i'm getting it down now. I'm finding a small start with hardwood kindling as bookends that you fill up with half charcoals / half fire lighters, then chucking on a few beer can sized lumps of hardwood (ironbark is the best around these parts in Australia) and leave it for an hour. I keep the next bits of wood under the firegrate to get them ready to combust so when I can see the heats starting to decline, I pop one on and put the next in the waiting room. Works really well.

I'll pop up some photos as i've just got access to my iPhoto library again.
Here's my last cook with Pork Ribs & a 6kg brisket & some sausage hiding up the back
IMG_6993.jpeg

Here's the chopping of the brisket 14 hours from putting it on the BBQ. With my leaks & fire skills, this was a battle, but I won in the end. I could do it much better now.
IMG_7005.jpeg

This is a lamb shoulder I smoked a while back over some ironbark and I think cherrywood. I was blasting the skin over the firebox coals to finish it off. I now just do this 'dirty' and throw it directly on the coals.
IMG_6612.jpeg

IMG_7005.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
What kind of BBQ you using?

I'm using a WSM with a clay saucer...no more water for me.

I didn't even have to tinker with the vents or check with a digital thermometer, I trust my smoker is running at 250-275 with a load of hot coals and all vents open.

Was freedom not worrying about the temps actually.

ShinAmano

So...it is Turkey smoking season...will be tossing a 22.5lb bird on this Saturday.

I love smoked turkey and love even more the flavor it passes on to the gravy. :)

MrChom

I approve of ribs in general and this thread makes me want them all the more....damn you for being outside the British BBQ season (37 seconds in mid-August)....

Top Bottom