• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

andycapps

So...it is Turkey smoking season...will be tossing a 22.5lb bird on this Saturday.

I love smoked turkey and love even more the flavor it passes on to the gravy. :)

How long does it take to smoke a 22.5 lb turkey?

I approve of ribs in general and this thread makes me want them all the more....damn you for being outside the British BBQ season (37 seconds in mid-August)....

They don't carry ribs year round in supermarkets there?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Gaf going to kill some ribs Thursday throw me some interesting rub combinations that you personally like! I want to try something new!!!!

rubbed sage, thyme, brown sugar, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, salt, paprika, black pepper, mustard, allspice, garlic powder, ginger, cinnamon mixed to taste.

Smoking gaf, got myself a Big Green Egg as wedding gift. Can't wait to start smokin'

captive

whats up people, no one smoking anymore? As i mentioned above, got a big green egg. Thing is amazing.

First thing I did was chicken, oak lump, with cherry wood, this is half of what i brought to my works thanksgiving potluck on the day they let me go, thanks a lot, pricks. Couldn't have told me before i brought a bunch of chicken for you guys? Also did chicken wings on the same cook for dinner that night.
IMG_0948_zpse90cead8.jpg

The next weekend I did baby back ribs, with hickory and cherry wood.
IMG_0961_zps76e8d514.jpg

Then last weekend a 6lb brisket with pecan and apple wood.
IMG_0975_zps540ae380.jpg

all came out splendid, the egg holds a temperature so well even when its cold out, I'm quite amazed. Once i had it stabilized for the brisket I had it pegged at 230 for 4 hours, then 280 for 2 hours after putting the brisket in foil with broth and beer. And there is always more than enough lump leftover to continue cooking something else.

mcfrank

I did brisket and ribs for Thanksgiving

1452030_10152019118119798_2055588040_n.jpg

577551_10152019118239798_1032598745_n.jpg

1456612_10152019118354798_754848863_n.jpg

1463413_10152018591754798_1683034682_n.jpg

Everyone was hungry, so I was not able to leave the brisket on as long as I would have liked (internal temp of 190 vs the 195-200 I usually go to) but the ribs were quite good.

captive

Making some bacon this weekend as Christmas gifts for some folks.

Just put some of it into the smoke.

nice man. Good luck. smoking my own bacon is something i want to get into down the road, along with doing jerky.

oh, i would love to see some "finished" pics too.

I don't know if I'll have any finished pics, since they're both christmas gifts. My girlfriend just left this morning with the one for her mother and brother. I'll try to get some pics of the one for my nephew.

CrankyJay

Banned
Hoping to do a full brisket again this holiday break...haven't smoked since my daughter's 1st birthday in early November.

I love doing winter smokes...if we get enough snow, I build a snow wall around the smoker for blocking wind.

Billen

Banned
Going to fire up the Wsm for Christmas. Any ideas of what is tasty, smoky but doesn't necessarily take 15 hours? :D

captive

Going to fire up the Wsm for Christmas. Any ideas of what is tasty, smoky but doesn't necessarily take 15 hours? :D

how many people you feeding?

That brisket i posted above was a 6lb brisket, did it in about 6 hours with an hour rest.

captive

Good morning gaf and happy boxing day to canada/euro gaf.

7lb pork butt went on at 6:15 am.
IMG_1023_zpsc64b3e12.jpg

4 hours in
IMG_1024_zpsb2acffd2.jpg

Looks great, captive! I love coming to this thread and seeing what you guys have got cookin. I hope to invest in a grill this year and join you guys. Hey, any recommendations for an economical grill would be appreciated. That Big Green Egg is a bit out of my price bracket!

I've been seeing a lot of lean brisket pictures, but little of the moist cap. Do you guys not smoke the full brisket? And if you do smoke the full brisket, do you split the moist from the lean at some point?

Billen

Banned
I did some chuck roast (I think the name is, my wife had pulled it from the freezer and thought it was another kind of meat), two pieces with different rubs, and then one big load of pulled pork. All smoked with hickory and apple, and everyone got plates with three piles of tasty meat. Turned out good.

CrankyJay

Banned
I've been seeing a lot of lean brisket pictures, but little of the moist cap. Do you guys not smoke the full brisket? And if you do smoke the full brisket, do you split the moist from the lean at some point?

Next time I get a full packer I'm gonna try not separating it so it just all melts on top.

Looks great, captive! I love coming to this thread and seeing what you guys have got cookin. I hope to invest in a grill this year and join you guys. Hey, any recommendations for an economical grill would be appreciated. That Big Green Egg is a bit out of my price bracket!

ibeP0BLksDs0xj.jpg

andycapps

Forgot to post my last update, I did two briskets and 2 chickens a couple weeks ago for about 20-30 people. Was really incredible. I used a recipe for the chickens where I brined them and then cut up an apple, onion, lemon, garlic, salt and pepper and stuffed that inside. Then olive oil, salt, and pepper on the skin. Best chicken I've ever had.

captive

lots of people recommend the weber smokey mountain. Also there's other brands of ceramic cookers other than the BGE, that are cheaper. I really got the BGE cause A) i wasn't paying for it B) a good friend of mine has one the same size, so we could share accessories if we wanted.

anyway here's my finished pork butt. Right after the bone slide out like butter.
IMG_1034_zpsf645dd24.jpg

pulled
IMG_1035_zps4c1e5c60.jpg

sorry for the cell phone crap pics.

it was good, just a touch dry for my taste, but still pretty good, but I'm not sure if this is because it was on the egg too long or from re-heating it. It took so long that we ended up not having it for dinner thursday like I had planned. So it went into the fridge after reseting then re-heated in the oven, i probably should have put some broth or juice in there to re-heat it with. It

Question for some of the more experienced bbqers out there. Do to limited cooking space,I need to make some ribs ahead of time. Like the day before. What's the best way to reheat a rack of ribs? Should I do it in an oven? on the grill? Any thoughts.

CrankyJay

Banned
Question for some of the more experienced bbqers out there. Do to limited cooking space,I need to make some ribs ahead of time. Like the day before. What's the best way to reheat a rack of ribs? Should I do it in an oven? on the grill? Any thoughts.

oven is fine...325-350ish for 10-15 min...i think grilling will just make them stringy

Bravocado

Oh god this topic is amazing.

I've been thinking of getting a stovetop smoker or some equivalent. I saw some mentioned earlier in the topic. I know it's not ideal, but I'm moving into a small apartment soon and might not have many options (as far as I know anyway, still very much a smoke amateur).

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated, grillmasters/grillmistresses.

captive

put them in the oven wrapped in tinfoil, this will help keep them from drying out. And yes, don't cut them till your ready to serve.

Oh god this topic is amazing.

I've been thinking of getting a stovetop smoker or some equivalent. I saw some mentioned earlier in the topic. I know it's not ideal, but I'm moving into a small apartment soon and might not have many options (as far as I know anyway, still very much a smoke amateur).

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated, grillmasters/grillmistresses.
I have a small one I got from Sur La Table, its pretty nice, works well, its not big enough to do ribs, but you can do chicken and other things small enough to fit inside.

So, my wife is going out of town this weekend, so I'm gonna do a brisket and 2 racks of st louis style ribs for lunch and dinner for the week. heck yes.

Bravocado

I have a small one I got from Sur La Table, its pretty nice, works well, its not big enough to do ribs, but you can do chicken and other things small enough to fit inside.

Excellent, that's actually the one I was eyeing. Amazon has it too. Much obliged sir.

mcfrank

Decided to smoke a 14lb brisket with my last few days of vacation

Rubbed the night before:

1521363_10152100032969798_1319588057_n.jpg

After 15 hours on the smoker:

1488275_10152101562109798_1655999423_n.jpg

Cubed the point and made burnt ends:
1524687_10152102055584798_2115433136_n.jpg

The platter I put out for 8 people with burnt ends and sliced flat:
1521606_10152102924384798_729820379_n.jpg

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
^
That looks amazing. I really need to try a brisket it's my favorite thing to get at the local bbq joints but I've never done one myself.

captive

^
That looks amazing. I really need to try a brisket it's my favorite thing to get at the local bbq joints but I've never done one myself.

you should, they're challenging but rewarding too. I like a challenge, ribs are super easy for me at this point. And along with a pork butt, brisket is counter intuitive to normal meats. I was telling my brother about "the stall" with my pork butt were it chilled at 160 for a long ass time, he was like "dude meat is done at 160!" ...not brisket or a pork butt.

@mcfrank - looks good. I got myself a 12lb whole brisket this morning, been on for about 3 hours so far. While hitting up many stores looking for a good brisket this morning, a Super Target of all places had a 20+ pound whole untrimmed boneless brisket. I said dayum.

mcfrank

you should, they're challenging but rewarding too. I like a challenge, ribs are super easy for me at this point. And along with a pork butt, brisket is counter intuitive to normal meats. I was telling my brother about "the stall" with my pork butt were it chilled at 160 for a long ass time, he was like "dude meat is done at 160!" ...not brisket or a pork butt.

@mcfrank - looks good. I got myself a 12lb whole brisket this morning, been on for about 3 hours so far. While hitting up many stores looking for a good brisket this morning, a Super Target of all places had a 20+ pound whole untrimmed boneless brisket. I said dayum.

Nice. I get mine at Smart & Final. $2.29/lb for choice whole packer brisket is pretty tough to beat. I cooked it to 202 internal. I usually foil to get through the stall, but I had enough time on this one to just wait it out which creates a better bark.

The winter weather has not slowed me down really at all here. Although I cannot wait to be able to actually SIT OUTSIDE with a cold beer and my smoker rather than running in and out of the house and just watching the remote temp probes.

Food above is looking good BBQ GAF!!!

phinious

I just bought myself a Green Mountain Grill, Daniel Boone pellet grill. It was marked off from $919 to $599, so I bought it as an impulse buy.

Now I have buyers remorse. Has anyone ever used one of these? Any good?

Ok now that I have tried it, I AM SOLD! Holy smokes so easy to use compared to my old smoker.

captive

any body else smoking today?

I got a 7lb trimmed brisket on the egg right now, having family and friends over for my birthday. Also going to put some Italian sausage on later.

Proud Gaf dad right here guys asked my five year old what she wants for her birthday party dinner? Pizza, nachos etc? Nope she wants good ol baby back ribs . Going to cost a pretty penny buying enough for everyone .

mcfrank

I just bought myself a Green Mountain Grill, Daniel Boone pellet grill. It was marked off from $919 to $599, so I bought it as an impulse buy.

Ok now that I have tried it, I AM SOLD! Holy smokes so easy to use compared to my old smoker.

More info please.

I think they were selling these at my Costco the other week, they had a display set up with their own salesperson. Just got a job so money is better and really considering a smoker. Are the pellets easy to get?

captive

Sweet Jesus...this fucking thread...

I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't experienced the joy of American BBQ.

ha. I feel sorry for lots of people around the nation about bbq. In new york BBQ is hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill.
In north carolina i believe, they do freaking hush puppies with BBQ. Wth is that, we call that a fish fry in Texas.
Lots of people consider throwing some chicken on the grill and slapping bbq sauce on it bbq.

phinious

More info please.

Ok. First of all this is a pellet grill/smoker. They say its a grill, but since its convection heat you don't really get to sear your meat. I cooked up a steak when it was warm enough(in Michigan), but I seared it on the stove first.

Here are some bullets:
-The Green Mountain Grill must be plugged in.
-If the pellets get wet, they turn to sawdust. So keep it stored indoors. Or covered.
-It has a temperature range of 150 to 500 deg F.
-You set it like an oven and it self regulates the heat.
-Mine came with a temperature probe and remote control where I can adjust the temp and monitor meat temps from inside my house.
-The steaks I made tasted like they were coked over a camp fire pit.
-The pellets must be food grade, but are easy to get. The cost is about $0.50/lb and it is easy to get them in my small town.
-This thing cooks like a convection oven that has smoke. The lower the temp the more smoke it produces.
-I just want to restate that this does not sear meat.
-It cooks a really good steak.
-Ridiculously easy to use.

Check out http://greenmountaingrills.com There is a ton of info. I will post some pics as it gets warmer in the next few months.

If you are spending the money and want a more versatile grill/smoker that will sear a steak you might want to look at a big green egg.

Zabka

ha. I feel sorry for lots of people around the nation about bbq. In new york BBQ is hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill.
In north carolina i believe, they do freaking hush puppies with BBQ. Wth is that, we call that a fish fry in Texas.
Lots of people consider throwing some chicken on the grill and slapping bbq sauce on it bbq.

Maybe 30 years ago. Not today.

andycapps

Hush puppies with BBQ is pretty good though. Don't get them started on whether beef or pork is better. After growing up in Georgia where the only thing barbequed is pork, I have to say that I've developed an appreciation for beef BBQ as well. As far as which is better, I really can't say, they're both great.

I think the worst is people from California that talk about having a barbeque and they're just talking about grilling out.

Top Bottom